Trump has made it okay for even a US governor to be racist

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Astonishing!
Talk about piles of shit ...

1933 Germany here we come.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37204837

The governor of Maine has said that people of colour were enemies of his state, and appeared to suggest they should be shot.
Speaking about Maine's effort to combat drug crime, Paul LePage said that "the enemy right now... are people of colour or people of Hispanic origin".
"When you go to war... and the enemy dresses in red and you dress in blue, then you shoot at red," he said.
Leading Democrats have urged him to resign.
Mr LePage made the comments while seeking to clarify remarks he made earlier in the week which were criticised as racist.
The press conference capped a controversial 72 hours for the Republican governor.

WEDNESDAY
Mr LePage was asked about a statement he made in January, in which he blamed the state's heroin problem on "guys by the name D-Money, Smoothie, Shifty" who "come from Connecticut and New York".
"They come up here, they sell their heroin, then they go back home. Incidentally, half the time they impregnate a young, white girl before they leave," he said.
Speaking on Wednesday, he denied it was racist, but said that since January he had been putting together a binder cataloguing drug arrests in the state, and that "90-plus per cent of those pictures in my book, and it's a three-ringed binder, are black and Hispanic people".
Asked by reporters to provide the binder, Mr LePage replied: "Let me tell you something: Black people come up the highway and they kill Mainers. You ought to look into that."
He then stormed off, telling the reporters: "You make me so sick."
Maine daily newspaper the Portland Press Herald has reportedly filed a Freedom of Information request for the governor's binder.

THURSDAY
A reporter appeared to suggest to Mr LePage that Democratic state representative Drew Gattine had called him a racist.
Mr LePage called Mr Gattine and, when he was unable to reach him, left him an abusive, expletive-laden voice message.
The recording was released by the Portland Press Herald.
He later invited reporters from the Press Herald and WMTW TV channel to an interview to explain the voice message, and told them he wished he could shoot Mr Gattine in a duel.
State Rep. Drew Gattine, D-Westbrook, right, speaks Friday, Aug. 26, 2016, in Portland, Maine, beside Assistant House Democratic leader, Rep. Sara Gideon, D-Freeport,Image copyrightAP
Image caption
Mr Gattine spoke to reporters about the incident, alongside representative Sara Gideon
"I'd like him to come up here because, tell you right now, I wish it were 1825," Mr LePage said.
"And we would have a duel, that's how angry I am, and I would not put my gun in the air, I guarantee you... I would point it right between his eyes, because he is a snot-nosed little runt and he has not done a damn thing since he's been in this legislature to help move the state forward."
Rights group the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said it had filed a freedom of information request for records related to the arrests of black and Hispanic people in the state.
Its executive director, Alison Beyea, said Maine police were nine times more likely to arrest people of colour for selling drugs than white people, even though white people were just as likely to commit drug offenses.

FRIDAY
The Portland Press Herald published FBI statistics which show that 1,211 people were arrested on charges of drug sales or manufacturing in Maine in 2014. Of those, 170 - 14.1% - were black, and almost all the rest were white.
At a State House press conference, Mr LePage said he was "enormously angry" at being called a racist, and restated his earlier remarks which cast Maine's drug problem in racial terms.
He said: "When you go to war, if you know the enemy and the enemy dresses in red and you dress in blue, then you shoot at red."
He added: "You shoot at the enemy. You try to identify the enemy and the enemy right now, the overwhelming majority of people coming in, are people of colour or people of Hispanic origin."
Leading Democrat figures are now calling for the governor to step down.
Representative Sara Gideon of Freeport, the assistant House Democratic leader, said: "We strongly and regretfully feel that he is unfit to serve as governor of the state of Maine right now.
"We have real concerns and reservations about how we move forward together as lawmakers as well as Maine people."

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Trump has made it okay for even a US governor to be raci

Listen. Trump has not made it okay. And as much as I detest the man, this can't be laid at his feet. Yes, he did sh*t in the pool first. Does that mean that it is his fault that others start to do it too. NO. they are responsible for not recognizing that sh*tting in the pool is not okay and for their own actions.

There is something called common decency. Divorce morality from any religious doctrine.

This guy's actions and words are his and his alone. He is the one choosing to express these views. He is one who is sh*tting in the pool, regardless of who did it before.

The "he made me do it" excuse doesn't hold any water for me past 15 years of age. Not unless someone put a gun to your head. And Trump is not a gun to the head of these racists. Their hate and spite has existed and been nurtured by them, and them alone, for years.

Frankly, it is enlightening. It is good to see this exposed instead of hidden. Now we know who our enemies are. And they can't work behind the scenes against us.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A sitting US governor would NOT have have done this a year ago.

Open your eyes Gypsy; Trump has open the flood gates.
Trump's made it okay to not be PC ... and I mean in the worst ways.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1472348069|4070742 said:

Actually, it sounds a lot like the past to me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

AGBF|1472350402|4070749 said:
kenny|1472348069|4070742 said:

Actually, it sounds a lot like the past to me.

Me too.

I just don't think it's that new.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1472343999|4070725 said:
Listen. Trump has not made it okay. And as much as I detest the man, this can't be laid at his feet. Yes, he did sh*t in the pool first. Does that mean that it is his fault that others start to do it too. NO. they are responsible for not recognizing that sh*tting in the pool is not okay and for their own actions.

There is something called common decency. Divorce morality from any religious doctrine.

This guy's actions and words are his and his alone. He is the one choosing to express these views. He is one who is sh*tting in the pool, regardless of who did it before.

The "he made me do it" excuse doesn't hold any water for me past 15 years of age. Not unless someone put a gun to your head. And Trump is not a gun to the head of these racists. Their hate and spite has existed and been nurtured by them, and them alone, for years.

Frankly, it is enlightening. It is good to see this exposed instead of hidden. Now we know who our enemies are. And they can't work behind the scenes against us.

I agree. As much as I intensely dislike Trump I don't think you can blame this all on him. And I also agree let this be out in the open so we know exactly who our enemies are and can act accordingly. Shine the light on it and show the hate in their hearts so decent and moral and caring people can stop it/them.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

When I went to bed last night I thought about this thread. The fact that in my opinion the behavior of Governor LePage was "old school" racist does not mean I do not think it is newsworthy and shouldn't be broadcast everywhere. I think it is appalling. The night before last my daughter and I watched a segment of a television show devoted to just this topic and it blew both of us away. Citizens in Maine are calling for his resignation or for medical help for him or both. The common belief appears to be that he is having "a meltdown", which in turn seems to be a euphemism for a psychotic break.

ETA:I do not know if everyone knows the back story. But this came to light because Governor LePage made a phone call to Rep. Drew Gattine threatening him and left the message on his voice mail. It was published by a newspaper under the Freedom of Information Act after the Governor said he wanted it to be heard. Later he blustered that he would like to shoot the representative in his office. Mr. Gattine is white. So this behavior on the part of the governor is not just about his calling people names.

AGBF

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I agree. Blaming Trump is just a lame excuse.
Also, Kenny, you continue to make comparisons to Germany/Hitler, which IMO is horribly insensitive and unproductive.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1472389254|4070844 said:

I agree. Blaming Trump is just a lame excuse.
Also, Kenny, you continue to make comparisons to Germany/Hitler, which IMO is horribly insensitive and unproductive.

And you keep saying the comparisons are "insensitive". No, quite simply, they're not. You might find them tiresome, but they aren't insensitive. And it's only unproductive if Kenny is trying to change someone's mind rather than indulging in a bit of outrage. Kenny knows he isn't going to change anyone's mind at this point. He's making a comment about how he sees the situation. I doubt seriously there is anyone reading this who has since retreated to the darkness of their bedroom to curl up in the fetal position and weep. The comparison is legitimate, if not perfect, (and has been done in detail on here already). But then comparisons to previous periods in history never are perfect. And yet making them is part of that "learning the lessons of history" thing. This lesson is clearly turning out to be a painful and constant source of irritation for many.

No, Trump is not responsible for another's actions, it's true, yet as someone who wants to cast himself as a leader, he has done exactly zip to calm the passions of his followers (think John McCain last cycle), has retweeted white supremacists regularly, and generally made a swath of people feel that letting it all hang out must be OK now. If those people are stupid enough to believe that the social wind is now such that they can indulge in blatant racism in today's environment without serious blowback, it's on them.

I hope Mainers squash their governor like a bug.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1472398559|4070886 said:
^I think that's only the second time I've mentioned it :confused: I didn't even address it in the last thread where he made the comparison. I feel it's insensitive to those who actually lived through it. I understand that not everyone feels that way, but I do and that why I commented.
http://www.infowars.com/jewish-leaders-comparing-trump-to-hitler-is-deeply-offensive/

I looked at the website you linked, momhappy, and once again I must say that I know you are a kind woman with your heart in the right place. Having read what was written there, I believe that you were only trying to be empathic to Holocaust survivors as some "Jewish leaders" (some members of the Anti Defamation League) have urged others to be by refusing to compare American presidential candidates to Hitler. (Indeed, some of these ADL members think no one should compare anyone to Hitler.)

I agree with ksinger, however, that although they should make their point, that others should make their points as well. It is anti-intellectual to stop conversation. I hear them; but they shouldn't stifle the people who want to warn us about the possible dangers of encroaching fascism and other forms of authoritarianism.

Deb/AGBF

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

AGBF|1472402400|4070901 said:
momhappy|1472398559|4070886 said:
^I think that's only the second time I've mentioned it :confused: I didn't even address it in the last thread where he made the comparison. I feel it's insensitive to those who actually lived through it. I understand that not everyone feels that way, but I do and that why I commented.
http://www.infowars.com/jewish-leaders-comparing-trump-to-hitler-is-deeply-offensive/

I looked at the website you linked, momhappy, and once again I must say that I know you are a kind woman with your heart in the right place. Having read what was written there, I believe that you were only trying to be empathic to Holocaust survivors as some "Jewish leaders" (some members of the Anti Defamation League) have urged others to be by refusing to compare American presidential candidates to Hitler. (Indeed, some of these ADL members think no one should compare anyone to Hitler.)

I agree with ksinger, however, that although they should make their point, that others should make their points as well. It is anti-intellectual to stop conversation. I hear them; but they shouldn't stifle the people who want to warn us about the possible dangers of encroaching fascism and other forms of authoritarianism.

Deb/AGBF

Yes. Hitler/the Holocaust was one of the lowest points in history and I feel that to make the comparison, minimizes it. I understand that others might feel that it's an effective way of getting their point across, but it's not something that I'm comfortable with because I couldn't even begin to understand what it was like to actually experience that time in history.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nowhere have I stated Trump murdered over 6 million people in gas chambers, or invaded countries, or started a war claiming millions of lives.

But, these two men have much in common in how they campaign.
They both taped into and pumped up fear and hate.
The both scapegoated and dehumanized those of X, Y, and Z minority groups to get elected in a countries that have recently lost much luster.
They both fanned feelings of superiority to minorities.

... all to get votes, and gain power.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1472415125|4070948 said:
Nowhere have I stated Trump murdered over 6 million people in gas chambers, or invaded countries, or started a war claiming millions of lives.

The both scapegoated and dehumanized those of X, Y, and Z minority groups to get elected in a countries that have recently lost much luster.

Like how the Dem. party pandering for minority votes especially the black American votes ?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I appreciate your response, kenny, but I didn't say that you stated Trump murdered 6 million people in gas chambers, or invaded countries, or started a war claiming millions of lives. I just said that I don't think the two people (Hitler & Trump), or the two time periods, or the two countries are similar and I don't feel comfortable making those types of comparisons.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock

momhappy|1472418481|4070961 said:

I appreciate your response, kenny, but I didn't say that you stated Trump murdered 6 million people in gas chambers, or invaded countries, or started a war claiming millions of lives. I just said that I don't think the two people (Hitler & Trump), or the two time periods, or the two countries are similar and I don't feel comfortable making those types of comparisons.

I think refusing to acknowledge any similarities is a dangerous choice. Of course, I don't think Donald Trump wishes to eradicate an entire race/religion/whatever by murdering them. I genuinely don't think that is his plan in the slightest.

I think it is quite ignorant to ignore the world's history and refuse to point out any similarities. How many similarities have to occur before you are "comfortable" someone mentioning them? Again, I DO NOT think that Trump is a version of Hitler. He has incited hatred for religions, nationalities, and races. You can say that is not his fault, it is just an effect of his plans (the wall, refusing to allow Muslims in the country). That is up to you.

http://www.thewrap.com/are-hitler-trump-comparisons-fair-a-holocaust-survivor-tells-his-son/

This article does NOT say that Trump is the next Hitler. It mentions similarities, from a survivors point of view.

"So, how much does Donald Trump truly resemble Adolf Hitler?
There are slight similarities between the two. But there is a difference. Germany was in much worse shape economically in the ’20s and ’30s. It was still recovering from WWI, having to pay reparations to the Allies. Hitler was able to tap into the Germans’ frustration by zeroing in on an enemy, the Jews. He claimed the Jews were taking over the country, stealing high-paying jobs. He was able to galvanize the uneducated by saying that Jews had stabbed Germany in the back.

Can you give me more examples?
Sure. Now that America’s minority population is becoming a majority, Trump is able to tap into that same fear among its disenfranchised. Asking his supporters to raise their hand during his rallies while proclaiming their allegiance to him is eerily reminiscent of Hitler’s Nazi salute, which was meant to inspire loyalty and sympathy towards the regime.

Did Hitler have a lot of fights and scuffles at his rallies?
Absolutely. If anyone dared to heckle Hitler, the S.A. would beat them to a pulp. They were essentially thugs. Not that different from those we see at Trump’s rallies today.

What do you think of the fact that so many white supremacists support Trump? Is it because he reminds them of Hitler?
They seem to think he’s some kind of savior. He’s anti-Muslim and anti-Mexican. He’s also pro-white, at least from their point of view. They see him as an ally."

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire|1472416515|4070952 said:

Like how the Dem. party pandering for minority votes especially the black American votes ?

Democrats do not have to pander. Our best advertisement is Trump himself. Every time he talks the Democrats get new minority voters. No effort on our part at all. All we have to do is continue to be the inclusive party we are.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I'm not refusing to acknowledge that there are NO similarities. I don't see a lot of similarity, but just because I don't, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist or I refuse to acknowledge it. Kenny clarified that it was more about how the two men campaign and I understand that. Saying that we are headed for 1933 Germany is one thing, but saying that there are similarities in how Trump & Hitler campaign(ed), is something entirely different and that's what I was addressing. My comfort level is more about being sensitive to those who actually lived through that time period. It's about respecting those who lived it and not minimizing their circumstances.
Anyway... that's not what this thread is about - my apologies for derailing it. I shared my .02 cents and I appreciate that kenny took the time to reply

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1472422909|4070983 said:
I'm not refusing to acknowledge that there are NO similarities. I don't see a lot of similarity, but just because I don't, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist or I refuse to acknowledge it. Kenny clarified that it was more about how the two men campaign and I understand that. Saying that we are headed for 1933 Germany is one thing, but saying that there are similarities in how Trump & Hitler campaign(ed), is something entirely different and that's what I was addressing. My comfort level is more about being sensitive to those who actually lived through that time period. It's about respecting those who lived it and not minimizing their circumstances.
Anyway... that's not what this thread is about - my apologies for derailing it. I shared my .02 cents and I appreciate that kenny took the time to reply

I must point out that the estimates of the number of Jewish holocaust survivors who were in the camps or in hiding, in the whole world at this point is only about 100,000, and decreasing; 500,000 if you include all (Jewish or not, I'm assuming, since not only Jews were targeted) those who fled Germany. The youngest survivors are 71 years old. No matter what someone here might say, the chances of a survivor actually reading it, is pretty slim. These are NOT delicate flower people to be upset by someone noting a similarity. Not to mention that more than one of those actual survivors, has spoken out about how they see Trump as a real danger. Rather than being upset, I should think they would be pleased to know that someone so far removed from what they went through, is actually paying attention.

http://time.com/4392413/elie-wiesel-holocaust-survivors-remaining/

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/niallodowd/Donald-Trump-reminds-Holocaust-survivors-of-Adolf-Hitler.html

"International Holocaust Remembrance Day is always a somber time for Auschwitz survivor Irene Weiss but this year even more so she told Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank.

“I am exceptionally concerned about demagogues,” the 85-year-old Weiss said. “They touch me in a place that I remember. I know their influence and, unfortunately, I know how receptive audiences are to demagogues and what it leads to.”

She lost her parents and brothers and sisters in the death camps. She worries deeply when she hears about Trump plans to register Muslims. “I’m worried about the tone of this country,” she said.. “It has echoes, and maybe more so to me than to native-born Americans I’m scared. I don’t like the trend. I don’t like how many people are applauding when they hear these demagogues. It can turn.”"

“It’s really frightening,” said Al Munzer, who escaped as a baby hidden by a Dutch family and their Muslim nanny. “When you see these mass rallies that Trump is able to attract, you really wonder: How are they buying into this message of hate. Thinking that Germany was somehow unique is wrong,” he said.

Johanna Gerechter Neumann, fled with her family to Albania after Kristallnacht, and told how Muslims protected them from Hitler. Her father, a proud German and World War I soldier, “certainly thought that it could never happen in Germany,” she said. “It did happen. Slowly, but it did happen.”

“It is repeating itself, and it is again the inattention that people pay to real cues that one should understand,” said Margit Meissner, almost 94.

“It’s not Weimar,” she said, “but it could become Weimar Germany if you have Mr. Trump here and people keep believing what he says… I think one has to speak up. And that’s the one lesson from the Holocaust: Do not be a bystander.”

Trump’s attacks on “different”people such as immigrants, Muslims, Latinos, African Americans, the disabled, women seen through the eyes of Holocaust victims look very sinister. Holocaust survivor Martin Weiss who was only 15 when sent to a death camp hears echoes of his youth. “The guy scares me,” he said about Trump.

“I don’t want to make any comparison to Hitler, but believe it or not his delivery and the way he conducts himself is very similar to Hitler’s way of doing things. He discredits everybody who disagrees with him. He’s insulting. He discriminates against everybody.”

Weiss continued: “Sooner or later, you know what happens in a case like this? That’s how Weimar Germany went to hell, because when Hitler came in, if somebody disagreed with him — guess what — he put them in prison or he had them shot or he opened the concentration camp.”

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

^I wan't referring to any individual survivors. I was talking about it as a whole and/or in general terms.
And, yes, I've seen/read stories similar to the one you posted (and I am sympathetic to those as well), so I am aware that just like there people who might share my thoughts on the subject, there are those that feel otherwise (and again, I'm fine with that).
I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, or shove my opinion down anyone's throat.... I just made a comment about how I find the comparison insensitive. That's all.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

ksinger said:
I must point out that the estimates of the number of Jewish holocaust survivors who were in the camps or in hiding, in the whole world at this point is only about 100,000, and decreasing; 500,000 if you include all (Jewish or not, I'm assuming, since not only Jews were targeted) those who fled Germany. The youngest survivors are 71 years old. No matter what someone here might say, the chances of a survivor actually reading it, is pretty slim.

That may be, but the children of many/most Holocaust survivors were very deeply affected by their parents' experiences, and their feelings should also be respected. A close friend of mine is the child of Holocaust survivors who were in camps, and she has made her entire life and career about educating people about the Holocaust. Her father died 15 years ago, but her mother lived into her nineties and died only a couple of years ago.

That said, I think it's pretty clear that Trump uses many rhetorical devices that Hitler and other fascists also used. Pointing these similarities out can (and IMO should) absolutely be done, and it has nothing to do with diminishing the Holocaust in my opinion.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is much worse than insensitive, is brushing aside the similarities.

Never forget.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

kenny said:

Never forget.
Completely agree.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

shaggy1|1472430686|4071028 said:
ksinger said:
I must point out that the estimates of the number of Jewish holocaust survivors who were in the camps or in hiding, in the whole world at this point is only about 100,000, and decreasing; 500,000 if you include all (Jewish or not, I'm assuming, since not only Jews were targeted) those who fled Germany. The youngest survivors are 71 years old. No matter what someone here might say, the chances of a survivor actually reading it, is pretty slim.

That may be, but the children of many/most Holocaust survivors were very deeply affected by their parents' experiences, and their feelings should also be respected. A close friend of mine is the child of Holocaust survivors who were in camps, and she has made her entire life and career about educating people about the Holocaust. Her father died 15 years ago, but her mother lived into her nineties and died only a couple of years ago.

That said, I think it's pretty clear that Trump uses many rhetorical devices that Hitler and other fascists also used. Pointing these similarities out can (and IMO should) absolutely be done, and it has nothing to do with diminishing the Holocaust in my opinion.

I agree with this.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1472423991|4070988 said:
...and what is going on in Maine? Has the governor been hospitalized yet? Maybe MariaD can tell us the inside story! My best friend lives there, too.

You can start here...http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/maine-governor-s-racist-rants-spark-outrage-752312899735

AGBF ;))
Saying this governor is suffering from some form of mental illness or psychotic break is an insult to those who have actually endured psychosis.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1472431459|4071037 said:

Never forget.

And I agree. We should never forget.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

House Cat said:
...and what is going on in Maine? Has the governor been hospitalized yet? Maybe MariaD can tell us the inside story! My best friend lives there, too.

You can start here...http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/maine-governor-s-racist-rants-spark-outrage-752312899735

AGBF ;))
Saying this governor is suffering from some form of mental illness or psychotic break is an insult to those who have actually endured psychosis.
Completely agree.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

House Cat|1472437751|4071071 said:

AGBF ;))

No, it is not. I am aware that the issue of professionals diagnosing people whom they have not examined is currently a matter of heated discussion, but I don't choose to remain silent and I stand by my diagnosis. Not all people are psychotic in a pretty way.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1472440708|4071082 said:
House Cat|1472437751|4071071 said:

AGBF ;))

No, it is not. I am aware that the issue of professionals diagnosing people whom they have not examined is currently a matter of heated discussion, but I don't choose to remain silent and I stand by my diagnosis. Not all people are psychotic in a pretty way.

Can't someone simply be a roaring a**hole?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results