shape
carat
color
clarity

on any given day...do you carry $100 in cash?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually carry at least the equivalent of USD200 in cash. I have a slight fear of CC's (or rather the fear of using CC's and overspending!
2.gif
1.gif
). Now that I live in Shanghai where most transactions are in cash, this emphasizes the need to have cash on you at all times.

One of my ex-bosses in HK used to carry at least HK10,000 in his wallet!
6.gif
The first time I saw him taking money out of his wallet, my eyes just bulged (though obviously I tried not to look!
3.gif
), and this was some 15 years ago!

What about you, DF? How much do you normally carry?

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
No... esp now. Very poor now.
39.gif

No money for cindy
39.gif

Damn wedding and house
9.gif

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
Nooo. Usually I carry a very small amount of cash, mostly change that''s just in my purse.
Right now though, we''re on a road trip and some places just don''t accept credit cards which is odd to me) so I have been carrying close to $50 in cash.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I always have at least $100 stashed in part of my wallet just in case. It''s more hidden and seperate from the money I use for everyday expenses. My parents told me to do that when I started driving just in case something happened. It''s something my dad has always done too. I don''t carry a credit card, just a debit card. I''ve always been a cash person. If I carried a cc with me I''d be tempted to buy more.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to but now I just use my debit card.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Routinely, but not every day.

I do all my normal weekly shopping with cash (and its quite easy to spend $100 in the grocery store). It helps control spending. If I don''t have the cash to buy something - then I have to think about it. I also do not carry my checkbook except for special planned items.

Of course, I use CC''s in a major emergency, for certain expenses when traveling, and for internet purchases. Then I pay them off every month.

For traveling, I tend towards travelers checks with some cash for all planned routine spending and "fun money."

I also budget how much cash I can use each week - or for major events.

These were habits I developed during the period when I paid off about $45,000 in credit card debt. They work well. I now have a reserve should something come up that I want to purchase or splurge on.

Perry

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Nope.. I usually carry about $40. THat''s it. Cause the more I carry, the more I spend lol.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I pretty much carry no cash at all. New Zealand has the highest eftpos usage and machines per person then any other country....or so I was once told. It''s true though, we looovvveee eftpos.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually only have a little bit of chang in my purse. I use my debit card for everything.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nope, only a debit card and some change
9.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
No, we have a "put stuff on the credit card for the miles and pay it off at the end of the month" policy. I occasionally use cash, but usually only when going out to eat with friends & splitting the bill.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
hell no! I wish...

FI often stuffs 40 dollars in my car because I never have cash on me - really it''s meant for emergency money. But if I find it, I''ll use it
11.gif
LOL.

When I''m trying to be responsible, I''ll keep 20 bucks in my wallet, but I''m a debit girl all the way. I''ve noticed that now I seldom have trouble finding a place that accepts debit/credit cards - but when I do I usually don''t have the cash and I have to leave. It''s a bad habit that I can''t seem to break.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
HA! I WISH! I tend to not carry much cash now though, mainly b/c I don''t trust anyone after having a wristlet stolen at a restaurant.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, give or take a few bucks.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Ummm, nope. Rarely have cash, I use my debit instead. Plus, I never need anywhere near $100 on a regular basis.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
No.

I would say I only carry $100 during the Christmas shopping season and even then it would be unusual.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never carry cash. I''m always afraid to lose it.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
nope.

(4-1-1. Most insurance companies only allow you to claim $200 in lost monies... due to fire/ theft etc. It is a built in limit to protect against mattress savings, and theft... etc.)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I rarely carry cash. I spend cash much faster than I debit things, so I don''t like to have it. I know when I''m debiting something there will be a record of it, and I''ll have to look at that purchase on our bank statement, and if it''s a frivolous purchase it will just drive me crazy.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. I rarely carry any, and if I have it I tend to spend it. As my wallet was recently stolen from my bag at work, I''m glad I don''t make a habit of carrying cash, especially not $200. The thief took some credit cards out and dumped the wallet a couple buildings over, where it was found 2 days later and turned in. In the end, I was only out 9 dollars, a few pennies, and time/stress. The 9 dollars I spent to get my license replaced (in the day between my wallet being stolen and then found...with my license in it), and the guy actually bothered to take the 5 or so pennies from the change pocket in my wallet. He DID use my credit card to buy a carton of cigarettes (the police caught him on camera at the gas station counter), but those charges were of course dropped by the cc company.

Off-topic gripe, but I''d like to smack the gas station attendant who let an older black man use a credit card with an obviously female (with very good statistical chance of being white if one pays any attention to name patterns) name on it. What''s the point of signing anymore?? Argh.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
On any given day, I only have a few dollars with me. I use my debit card for just about everything.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to have $40 but every time I top up, one or both of the kids need cash for something! I use my debit card for all purchases if possible.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Of course not, don''t be silly! What would I be able to buy with a hundred dollars in England?
33.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 12:32:44 PM
Author: gwendolyn
Of course not, don''t be silly! What would I be able to buy with a hundred dollars in England?
33.gif
9.gif
your statement made me smile.

i was just in Switzerland 2 weeks ago and hummm.......... ITS EXPENSIVE THERE!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Never. I was just thinking I needed to make a better effort to carry cash. It''s just so much easier to use my debit card. In addition, the debit card is insured and with cash, you''re just screwed if it gets lost!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, cash burns a hole in my pocket!
4.gif
Just a debit card.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Nope... I usually don''t have money in my wallet unless DH puts money in there. I tend to spend cash much faster.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I usually pull $40 out every so often so that I have cash if I need it, but I usually use my debit card with the Visa symbol on it. They take them everywhere. It is so much easier and again it is protected. With cash if it is stolen its just gone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results