shape
carat
color
clarity

OFG, how''s your search going?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I had more time to comment; I''ll just say that the cone-shaped thing in between diamonds on that previous one would not be necessary for my 5-stone, of course. (I''d have to show you the top of the ring to explain why it''s that way)

Okay, hopefully I have another picture or two that will upload. This was a ring I saw last week. In person it was GORGEOUS - well, except as usual for the flaw!
3.gif
The flaw is that the prongs for the center are just plopped on top as so often is the case with rings, and I like the center to grow more integrally from the rest of the ring. But anyway, this pave was so pretty in the store. Sometimes pave to me looks too - can''t think how to say - well, not sparkly enough. This one seemed to have non-stop sparkle, such that you could barely tell where the side profiles of the sidestones were. You could only make out the pave in this picture. But I don''t know how much of that was the lighting in the store, or the quality of the pave or what. But anyway, if the head had flowed more nicely from the sides, I think I would have bought it. But then again, I can never tell from 5 minutes in a store.

kett profile 1 small.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
..a few other profiles from the store that had the last ring.

kett profiles small.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve posted this before, but here is a similar one to the one I posted above. The prongs of this one were too thick, but some combo of this and the one two pics above could be a possibility.

Simon G w pave a.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I really gotta get going. Another idea that has occurred to me is to call Mark Morrell and have him make something, maybe similar to the one he has here:

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/

The one that says, '' a bit of whimsy, undeniable impact; thank you Nathan". I wish I could try it on. But no doubt he would come up with something beautiful. The only thing is, I don''t know if I could afford his work, and it sounds like he has quite a backlog. But anyway, the thought occurs to me at times.

Well, anyway, that''s the status of my interminable ring search, for anyone who''s interested. The hardest part is finding any time to work on it, as even right now I am way late on what I should be doing. Which is packing for out of town, so I won''t be working on this for at least another week again. As usual. I always feel like I am ''this close'' to getting it done, but then I get big interruptions from other stuff going on in life.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
OFG, you have some beautiful idea's. I completely understand wanting to find something ready made so to speak to avoid the ?'s that go along with custom, but you might honestly be the perfect candidate since you've got so many things you want to incorporate. MM isn't cheap but I would think it would be worth it to at least get a quote just to see. also, have you though about Leon Mege? When I've gotten a quote from him in the past I was always surprised that it was lowere than I expected, so he might be a nice option too, especially if you want pave.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2007 5:52:09 PM
Author: mrssalvo
OFG, you have some beautiful idea's. I completely understand wanting to find something ready made so to speak to avoid the ?'s that go along with custom, but you might honestly be the perfect candidate since you've got so many things you want to incorporate. MM isn't cheap but I would think it would be worth it to at least get a quote just to see. also, have you though about Leon Mege? When I've gotten a quote from him in the past I was always surprised that it was lowere than I expected, so he might be a nice option too, especially if you want pave.
Thanks mrssalvo! Yes, I should get a quote from MM - it doesn't hurt to ask. I have thought of Leon Mege. I guess besides price (although as you say he might not be as expensive as I imagine), I also haven't thought as much of going with him, partly because I often have leaned away from pave, but as you say, if I do he could be a good option, but also partly because of his reputation of - I don't know how it's been put before - where he wants to do it all himself as his work of art, whereas I definitely want to give my input. I have tried on so many rings, and know pretty well what I want and don't want, so I'm afraid he might be too much wanting to do it his way rather than my way. But maybe that's not true either. ?? I would feel a bit more comfortable with letting MWM have free reign, partly because I love the fluidity of his designs, and that "Nathan" ring I mentioned above, as well as JadeLeaves' which is similar, he has the open profile etc. and it's very close to what I want. Plus I just read a thread you started about LM, and my stone is probably way too tiny for him!
3.gif

You know how there have been fantasy threads here on "if you could have any dream ring you want...." etc.? Well my fantasy in this case would be, Mark Morrell, Leon Mege, and all the other good designers out there - I would tell them I want a 5 stone ring, w/ my center stone and such&such a size for the side rounds (& the rest of my criteria) and have a "pretty side-profile contest" where Leon and Mark et al design a side profile (separately), and I get to choose which one I like best!
31.gif
How's that for a wish???

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I''ve always been one to hold out for exactly what you want. It does sound like MM might be the one to bring this to life for you. I''d get the quote at least and then you can decide how doable it is and whether or not you want to splurge on the setting or save up a bit more to get it if you need to.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
They''re all pretty in my opinion, but my favorite of all the ones you showed is the Mark Morrell.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the scott k in these :)

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks zoe and Cehra! Cehra, I forgot to answer you in mrssalvo''s thread about your chicken and egg question:

(although unlike folks who change their setting with the way the wind blows, this has to be the right one, at least for a long, long time, probably forever.)

which came first, the chicken or the egg? are you taking a long time to choose because it has to last or does it have to last because you''re taking so long to choose (and don''t want to go through this again LOL!!!)

Chicken and egg was a good way to put it, as it is sort of a vicious circle. Briefly, it is taking me a long time to choose for a lot of reasons, including that I don''t know if my DH will ever let me get another setting, so I don''t want to take any chances! But the fact that it is taking me so long makes me want to get it right and never have to do this again!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just read Mrs S''s leon thread that you posted OFG and I kept shaking my head... I feel like I got the best of both worlds with ocean, she has all of the genius without that ego. Maybe because she''s a woman LOL

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2007 2:26:45 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I feel like I got the best of both worlds with ocean, she has all of the genius without that ego.
Yes, when I get back to town I want to ask you some more questions about her. I''ve been meaning to for a few days. Like how you found her, is there a way to see some of her work, does she specialize in any style, oh, I''ll think of some more questions when I get back...

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe because she''s a woman LOL
Funny you say that too, because last week when I went to a few jewelers in MD to ask about my setting idea, one store was run by a woman, and she (and the other lady that worked at the store) were so helpful, and didn''t make me feel stupid asking about a design etc., and the next store, the man who I think was there custom jeweler, he was kinda rude, long story, but it was a glaring difference such as you described...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
OFG, you might think about getting a quote from Maytal too. She''s made some beautiful rings for pricescoper''s lately and from what I''ve heard she is very easy to work with.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2007 3:02:34 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl

I feel like I got the best of both worlds with ocean, she has all of the genius without that ego.
Yes, when I get back to town I want to ask you some more questions about her. I''ve been meaning to for a few days. Like how you found her, is there a way to see some of her work, does she specialize in any style, oh, I''ll think of some more questions when I get back...
Wink is kind of introducing her to PS :) And no, she doesn''t specialize in any style. In fact she stresses that she doesn''t want to work in one style - she really likes variety. I''ve seen gold carvings she''s done, amazing pave, channel work, her details are amazing and if one ring isn''t your "style" just move on to the next, it isn''t like MM or LM where she has a particular thing going. I feel so lucky she''s doing my ring, and yet I wish for her sake she was doing something maybe less odd because I would hate for anyone to see my ring and ignore the craftsmanship and think well geez I wouldn''t want that style! LOL

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2007 3:56:22 PM
Author: mrssalvo
OFG, you might think about getting a quote from Maytal too. She''s made some beautiful rings for pricescoper''s lately and from what I''ve heard she is very easy to work with.

Is Maytal Hoffman the same as Maytal Hannah?

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
I want to say yes- I think I read in an older post by rjdodd she had gotten married and was expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results