shape
carat
color
clarity

My Husband Wants a Watch - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All - for our 1st anniversary, my husband has been hinting at wanting a watch. I''d like to keep it under $3K, but I really want to get him something nice seeing as he gave me a Cartier tank watch as my wedidng gift!
2.gif

He definitely wants a leather strap and wants it to be clean, but modern looking. Some watches I was thinking of were:

Longines

51C17m3pLHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
What other brands our out there that are worth the money and have a similar style?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about Omega, Speedmaster and Seamaster I think are some nice styles for guys. Breitling are another good brand.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto on Omega watches - I like DeVille in addition to Seamaster and Speedmaster. Check out Raymond Weil as well.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lorelei and LWD!
5.gif

I like the NOA watches - what''s the price range?

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
A couple of questions:

1. Is he set on a brown leather strap or is he also looking at black leather?

2. Are you sure he wants a white face? Would he be open to other colors there?

3. How big are his hands & wrists? Does he want a big watch or something a bit more subdued?

ETA: Also, does he want a chronograph on it (i.e. a pilot watch) or would he rather it just told time?

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 4:33:03 PM
Author: blushingbride
Thanks Lorelei and LWD!
5.gif

I like the NOA watches - what''s the price range?
Your welcome blushingbride!

I believe they are right in your budget of 3k and under -- some models more, some models less.
On the site click on "Where" and type in your state -- it will show retailers who carry the brand...

Good luck !

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I really like my Omega!If I had 3 grand to spend i would make sure that i get an automatic movement rather than a quartz movement.Baumes are nice watches and would own one because they are classic in design.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
How about an IWC? I love the look of them, but I have no idea as to how much they are

IWC Pilot.jpg

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got my hubby a IWC watch for his birthday last year and he loves it! A lot of IWC watches come in both metal and leather strap.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2008 10:56:45 AM
Author: jewelerman
I really like my Omega!If I had 3 grand to spend i would make sure that i get an automatic movement rather than a quartz movement.Baumes are nice watches and would own one because they are classic in design.
Omega are excellent watches!

www.omegawatches.com for you to check out.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to throw out there, since I'm still not exactly sure what you're looking for, that watchluxus.com has an awesome database with pretty much all the major brands in there and it allows you to search by 15-20 different parameters.

IWCs and some of the Omegas will definitely be a bit pricier than you're looking for, but it's worth calling around and seeing if any authorized dealers have older models at a discount. You'll save a ton of money by not buying brand new.

Another brand you may want to consider is Bell & Ross--great watches and they have a cool look.

If you're going to go with an Omega, I'd definitely look at the DeVilles based on the "wants it to be clean but modern looking" caveat--I'm guessing that means he's not so into the pilot-style chronos (like the IWC Pilot or the Breitlings). Plus, the DeVilles will probably be a little less expensive due to having less features.

If you live somewhere where there's a good watch shop, maybe go in and try some on with him? Watches are like jewelry--you want to make sure it'll look good on his wrist before plunking down a few grand. Also, you want to make sure he likes it--guys can be really picky about watches.

ETA: Also, whoever said to get an automatic/self winding movement, I totally agree! You could go with hand-wound as well, but most guys who aren't already watch aficionados will probably not want to deal with that.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Between Nate and myself, we have 5 Tags and I enjoy the two that I have.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My DH likes Panerais, although I think they start around $4k. But! If you (or DH) ends up liking Pams, you may want to consider 97-99% condition, slightly used watches at Pam sites likes www.paneristi.com. Another website worth checking out is www.timezone.com.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Tag...DH is a huge fan of Tag Heuer and so am I...I do think the Carrerra you posted looks more modern compared to some others. Good luck in your decision!

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
You''ve got the beautiful Tank Watch, why not consider a Ronde Louis Cartier watch (once again not sure of price)

Cartier-W6800151.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about the Baume Mercier Hampton? It is a rectangle, you can get it in stainless with a leather strap. They make a chrono for around 2200.00 retail I think. It is a nice looking simple but elegant watch and can be casual or dressier.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2008 12:05:53 AM
Author: HeartingDiamonds
My DH likes Panerais, although I think they start around $4k. But! If you (or DH) ends up liking Pams, you may want to consider 97-99% condition, slightly used watches at Pam sites likes www.paneristi.com. Another website worth checking out is www.timezone.com.

Panerais are gorgeous--I actually almost suggested that, but I was worried it was too out of budget. I second that idea, though!

~*kalypso*~

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Have you looked into Breitling? They''re a bit over $3000 but they are really nice, and a nice watch lasts for such a long time I think. My BF has said he''d like me to get him one as a wedding gift, but not with a leather strap (we''re not even engaged yet so I won''t have to worry for MANY years
3.gif
).

If you want it "clean" looking, these might not be the ones for you, but I thought I''d just post a pic and you could decide.

This is the Breitling Professional Skyracer:

breitlingprofskyracer.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also know that many places will discount or if you buy out of state you save tax. Certain models get higher discounts than others, but it is worth looking into for sure.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2008 9:09:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 4/3/2008 10:56:45 AM
Author: jewelerman
Omega are excellent watches!

www.omegawatches.com for you to check out.
Hmm...I never considered an Omega...I really do like them. I will definitely keep them as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results