shape
carat
color
clarity

LV Wallets...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, I own NOTHING LV. I am eyeing the "zippy compact wallet", likely in EPI since I don't like logos on things like that. Does anyone carry this wallet?

I just downsized from a beast of a wallet from TUMI, that was absolutely amazingly well made and worth way more than they charge for the leather quality and craftsmanship. I love the wallet, it's just absolutely ridiculously huge. I am trying to downsize across the board and while I prefer long wallets, I think I just need something long enough for bills without folding them. I bought a few "wristlet" style wallets and all were returned.

Currently I am carrying a really beautifully made (gorgeous leather!) wallet from Roots of Canada. I think if it was like 1" shorter, it would probably be even better for space.
http://usa.roots.com/womens-leather-accessories-wallets%5Copen-flat-wallet/14180346,default,pd.html?selectedColor=J31&cgid=leatherWallets&start=13&q=#start=13

I came across the LV Zippy Compact Wallet while poking for more options, and while the price made me almost die at my desk, because it's double what I spent on even my most expensive bag at full price! But it looks like one I could use as long or longer than the Tumi (I would still be using that thing til I die if I wanted to carry something that huge still!) and would work in smaller bags much more easily than the Roots wallet which is almost 8" long closed. I value quality and will pay for quality. I have a birthday in a few weeks, and while I STILL haven't gone anywhere on the DBTY necklace or ring situation with my rubies (since I can't make a decision I have been paralyzed and haven't progressed!) that isn't for my Bday anyway. That's a "you're making cleaning progress (NO I AM NOT) and anniversary gift (10 years married, 12 not killing each other!)

Besides the pricetag, I also don't LOVE the colors LV offers it in, but I might not mind the fuschia if it leans purple. I prefer blue, green and purples/eggplant. I don't want their canvas, I honestly find it hideous.

Anyway--any input? Anyone know of anything similar, in a similar size? I don't want anything too small, I don't want anything longer than this LV one. But the amount of slots is a big thing for me. I don't carry a ton of CCs but I have my insurance cards and any spare odds and ends in slots.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
If you decide you don't need a new one, you can check Yoogies Closet website, they are a legit reseller of used LV and all other brands. Less expensive than new, but they don't always have everything. Thirty day return period, too.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have it in a purplish vernis which is the monogram but in shiny leather (embossed). It's a great little wallet, I've had mine for 8 years or so but I don't use it all of the time. With that said, it has held up very well over the years. When I bought it I think it was around $400?

Edit: I checked LV I have the zippy coin purse, an even more compact version of the wallet. I checked out the wallet, it looks lovely and that it can hold quite a bit without being overwhelming. Go for it!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I would also recommend looking into the vernis line. I LOVE vuitton vernis bags/wallets/etc - I've probably owned a dozen Vuitton Vernis bags over the years - not bc they fall apart, but bc I was so obsessed with owning lots of styles, lol. The leather is gorgeous. Just go to eBay and type in vuitton vernis wallet, you should get a great variety to browse through, and you might see something you like. I'm NOT recommending that you buy one off of eBay - although there are a ton of authentic handbags sold on eBay, there are are a ton of fakes too. It's not something I recommend buying on ebay unless you *really* know your product. I have bought quite a few used/discontinued vernis bags from reputable eBay sellers, and have never bought a fake, but it's not for the uninitiated. (I used to be obsessed with handbags just like I am with gems now, lol).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
katharath|1431561971|3876322 said:
I would also recommend looking into the vernis line. I LOVE vuitton vernis bags/wallets/etc - I've probably owned a dozen Vuitton Vernis bags over the years - not bc they fall apart, but bc I was so obsessed with owning lots of styles, lol. The leather is gorgeous. Just go to eBay and type in vuitton vernis wallet, you should get a great variety to browse through, and you might see something you like. I'm NOT recommending that you buy one off of eBay - although there are a ton of authentic handbags sold on eBay, there are are a ton of fakes too. It's not something I recommend buying on ebay unless you *really* know your product. I have bought quite a few used/discontinued vernis bags from reputable eBay sellers, and have never bought a fake, but it's not for the uninitiated. (I used to be obsessed with handbags just like I am with gems now, lol).
This bag does not come in Vernis, I did actually look at that.

I called the Michigan Ave Nordstrom, where there is actually an LV "boutique" (only one in the country in a Nordstrom), and she told me that they do release new shades every season, and that Epi is the most durable of all of their options. She said she thinks Vernis shows wear faster than Epi. I have NO IDEA how these all compare pricewise other than their canvas logo-ey stuff that I don't want is cheaper by comparison. Obviously, leather = more.

DH did not exactly say "no" , in fact it's totally greenlighted if I want it, he just does not get my desire for another wallet, LV or otherwise...I seriously have a f'cking problem. I have like 7 wallets. 3 purses (two being IDENTICAL) but 7 wallets (two identical save for color). WTF. I get bored and change. I would like to think spending $900 on something would, however, make me not change this one as readily.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lol you're not the only one! My daily purse is a $20 backpack but I have about 10 different wallets ranging from $100 up to about $1000 and I switch them all the time depending on mood/need. Whatever makes you happy :Up_to_something:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1431621549|3876720 said:
Have you checked out Halogen wallets at Nordstrom? I have a large zip around and a tri-fold that's more compact that I use when I travel.

This one is 1.5" shorter than the roots you linked.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen...75500&fashionColor=Coral+Spice&resultback=244
I actually have, as well as the MbMJ and Tory Burch versions of the same. That 1/2 inch somehow is the clincher. My stuff wouldn't all fit, and cash had to be folded. Folding cash in a wallet that isn't a little coin purse, for me, is a completely unacceptable option. I just can't stand it. It's bulky and you can't see what you have! Probably irrational but that's one of my "things."

kitsunegrl

Rough_Rock
I have the LV Emily wallet. It is the long type wallet as I don't like to fold my money. I have had it for several years and it has held up very well it is the canvas.
I do own a few epi purses and they wear very well. I'm glad I purchased my pieces years ago because the prices today are too much for me.
I have been wanting a new wallet and have been looking at the ones from Oberondesigns.com. I have several items from them and they are stellar. http://www.oberondesign.com

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am a HUGE fan of LV wallets. I don't carry their handbags and I don't like their monogram stuff. But I LOVE their wallets for one reason - they are super durable so they last a lifetime.
I've had plenty of wallets before I got my LV wallet (my first one and still using it after 5+ years; looks almost like new). I've had Coach, Burberry, Prada... their average lifespan was less than 2 years. They literally fell apart or looked beat up after a few years. And I don't abuse my stuff. LV wallet was "more affordable" back then but now the prices are outrageous. I finally got my husband one in navy epi leather last year when we went to Europe. He wasn't a true believer back then but he is now. I think he loves his wallet more than I love mine. I know three other people with LV wallet in epi leather and one of them has had it for almost 10 years. It looks probably 6 months old... it holds up incredibly well.
I can't speak to the design but you will not regret getting an epi leather wallet. They do come out out with different colors every season. I had a vernis leather clutch many years ago. Vernis is prettier and more feminine but it is not as durable as epi. My vernis clutch actually had a color transfer issue (I stored it with a darker color bag and it ate the color off of that bag) so I had to sell it. The leather also scratches more easily than epi.
So if you like the look and feel of an epi leather wallet, I say GO FOR IT!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That was such a helpful post, THANK YOU! I am hoping to get some intel on the Fall selection and I am HOPING navy or some blue or green or even an eggplant will be included. I have decided not to settle on the current colors because it's SO FREAKING EXPENSIVE. I don't do black wallets and I don't want pink or red. Just not my style. Since the greenlight is the greenlight, I am going to make sure I get the perfect one.

I am going back to the boutique today to check it out again (in monogram or whatever is in stock) with my smallest purses in tow as well as my passport, so I can see if it fits inside those easily and not too snugly. If it does then I know I am good. If not, then I will probably have to reconsider. I also want to take a photo or two beside my current wallet and stuff so I have a frame of reference for later. The size is, on paper, perfect. I just have to make sure it will work for me long term.

I know I don't want canvas and I have red about the shiny "vernis?" thing being a problem. But I liked epi bec it looked durable, and also does not have logos all over it and is not something that is obvious and screams LV to anyone other than an LV person. I like the subtleness of it.

Zip wallets for me are a big deal.I do not like accordion style and I do not like snap or clip or whatever. They don't hold up well for me and accordions just you cannot see all of your stuff. I hate rooting around, and I feel like you risk stuff falling out.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
My husband is the same way. He can't stand LV monogram because it screams LV. He loves the subtleness of epi. I mean it's simply good, durable leather. You can't go wrong with that.
I would highly recommend seeing it in person. And bring whatever bag(s) you'll want to put this wallet in. It is an expensive purchase so I never feel embarrassed going back and forth to the store four or five times before I buy something like that. I like switching my clothes and my bags but I can honestly tell you I still LOVE my LV wallet after all these years. It is still in style and not worn out/beat up. I have not purchased a single wallet, card holder, coin purse... or anything like that after I bought my LV wallet. So in that sense I guess I saved a lot of money :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The epi zippy compact I am seeing on their site is 6.3 x 3.9inches. I am also looking for a new wallet, but I wouldn't pay that much, so I am glad to look for alternatives!

http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/zippy-compact-wallet-epi-006474

So are you saying you have to fold dollars if the width is less than 6.3 inches? I totally agree that I don't want a 7in+ wallet. The one I have now is probably 10 years old but folds. It is an old brand, Aigner, and they lasted a long, long time. I just want a zipper one that does not fold this time. I do have little Coach zip wallets for travel for my little crossbody purses, though.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the zippy compact wallet in black multicolor with a purple color inside.
It's a very small wallet, but because it's small, it can fit into many different size bags.
I switch out wallets all the time. I am currently using a red zip wallet by Michael Kors.
I seem to prefer zip wallets because I don't like all my stuff out in the open and I feel like zip wallets keep all my receipts intact.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1431714982|3877160 said:
The epi zippy compact I am seeing on their site is 6.3 x 3.9inches. I am also looking for a new wallet, but I wouldn't pay that much, so I am glad to look for alternatives!

http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/zippy-compact-wallet-epi-006474

So are you saying you have to fold dollars if the width is less than 6.3 inches? I totally agree that I don't want a 7in+ wallet. The one I have now is probably 10 years old but folds. It is an old brand, Aigner, and they lasted a long, long time. I just want a zipper one that does not fold this time. I do have little Coach zip wallets for travel for my little crossbody purses, though.
Cash fits fine unfolded in the big ole section in the back as well as the "flappy" section with the card slots on the left. But the "fixed" slots behind the card slots and zipper slot it's about 1/8" too short to put cash in without folding. I tested all of that the other day. You can put cash in vertically in the big cavern slot as well as horizontally.

Henri Bendel and Gucci have something similar to this but the Gucci one felt less nice by comparison, cheap almost, considering the name, and the HB felt like a target vinyl wallet.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Gucci one (and the lower price), but it doesn't have as many card slots.

The HB is close to the same size as LV, but nylon with leather trim, so that is a disadvantage. Still very much like the LV.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have yet to find a wallet that has rivalled the quality of LV--for many of the reasons already stated. I prefer the Epi and Vernais and not the monogram. I've got some very old Epi' (since retired) and they look like the day I purchased them. Likewise my sister also has two VL zip around wallets. They tend to be workhorses--and therefore pay out in the long run.

I've also purchased Gucci wallets for as long as I can recall. And I adore their travel document case in black microguccissima leather (holds passports, etc) as it is chic, serviceable, and well made. That said, the last zip-round wallet I bought from them was disappointing as the interior (yucky accordion, smaller slots) was not it once was. I have an old very soft leather wallet from Gucci that I've kept because it is such good quality compared to the one I recently bought.

Good luck!

cheers--Sharon

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I nearly bought the zippy compact wallet, as I love the style and size and how it felt in the hand... I don't like folding notes or the accordion style either. I researched this wallet on you tube and many, and I mean many ppl LOVE this wallet. I played with this wallet in the store. What I found was that the only section that notes can fit without folding is right at the back of the wallet. You can either have the notes arranged in a vertical or horizontal manner. However, I find this section really hard to access the notes and conversely putting the notes in when given change. This would most probably best reserved for receipts.

I have bought the Brazza wallet instead from a reseller, see list below.
I prefer the taiga leather as it is leather and the LV logo is rather subtle. I like Epi leather as well. But of late I do like the monogram. But I would get it in a smaller piece- key pouch.

How about the Damier ebene canvas print? It would work out cheaper than the Epi leather.

There are reputable resellers of LV online. I have bought from elady a couple of times.
Yoogies closet
Malleries
Fashionphile
Elady

Good luck with search.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely do not want canvas. I don't like that it's logo'd and too obviously LV, and I also don't like that it's not leather. It also is not repairable, and that's a problem.

I went back today to check it out in person again, unfortunately no Epi available. I got to test it out and I think it's a winner. I also learned today that this wallet is discontinued--if not just in epi, across the board. What is in stores may be all they have. Definitely in Epi. That was sad to learn. I had heard from two sources it might be reconfigured to be accordion style but that most of their mid-size stuff is being done away with since the regular zippy is their most popular. Disappointing.

I liked PIment in person a lot, it's almost Hermes orange. But I am concerned about resale value and I might tire of it. It's less classic? I dunno. So with that all in mind, I might get it in Fuschia. It fits in my smallest two bags, and it holds all my stuff. The mid-size Coach I looked at did not hold all my stuff and the leather felt and looked like plastic.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame, can you post a pic of the LV wallet you are looking for? I LOVE LV Epi wallets, and have a lot. I am considering letting go of some of mine but maybe it's not the one you want. But in general I love the Epi line. Super durable and hardly shows any wear. I have my first one that I bought more than 20 years ago and it looks new.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
On the Australian site it is a zippy compact NM. So, it is a New Model.

And the older model with the canvas on the outside and leather in the inside....
Not sure if I can tell the difference with the new model in Epi above...

_30277.jpg

_30278.jpg

_30279.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to clarify with the canvas pieces. From what i understand.... The canvas is only on the outside. The inside is leather.
You may already know this from your SA... Sorry if u already know this information. .. It may be an issue for repair but if u buy from the store new, any repairs u require should be sent back to the store.
With the monogram canvas it is quite noted to be the staple LV..

Then there is the Damier ebene, which is still known as LV, but more subtle than the monogram.. I was considering this piece for myself, before realizing that the notes can only really fit unfolded in the back section. There is one other section that the notes can fit- the left side behind the cards. It's a flap section. So, if u have a few notes, that section can get quite exposed.

I ended up choosing the Brazza instead.

I hope you get your Epi, or your SA can get your choice of Epi before they go. Good luck. I LVOE my LV

_30280.jpg

_30281.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have really been interested in your wallet thread Ame. I have had a Marc Jacobs wallet for the last couple of years and the nylon lining has started to shred. I have never looked at anything LV before. I like the wallet you are interested in but noticed that it didn't have a specific drivers license slot (that you could see through and not have to remove). I was wondering if you have come across any all leather wallets in your search that have this feature?

I want a wallet that opens flat. Has at least two places to store cash unfolded and an inside coin zippered pocket. I am going to try to go to a LV store and take a look at the wallets. I still have to get used to the price. It might be worth it if the wallet hold up.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1431781640|3877424 said:
I have really been interested in your wallet thread Ame. I have had a Marc Jacobs wallet for the last couple of years and the nylon lining has started to shred. I have never looked at anything LV before. I like the wallet you are interested in but noticed that it didn't have a specific drivers license slot (that you could see through and not have to remove). I was wondering if you have come across any all leather wallets in your search that have this feature?

I want a wallet that opens flat. Has at least two places to store cash unfolded and an inside coin zippered pocket. I am going to try to go to a LV store and take a look at the wallets. I still have to get used to the price. It might be worth it if the wallet hold up.
Not in this size, I have not. Some have that feature in a larger size though. I am trying to recall the brands that did that were larger wallets. That ID thing hasn't been a priority for me, though, because at least here, you HAVE to take your ID out, they won't just let you show it through the window. But I've also had issues with those windows falling apart on me.

Thank you Greg! It is the first one, the one you call new model, that is the one. But it's supposedly discontinued. It was introduced in like 2012 I believe.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry Ame, I don't have that one. I have a larger version that does not open up all the way. I have bought LV on eBay before and you can probably find it. I know what to look for in terms of authenticity and have never had any problems. I can look some up for your consideration.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really like the ones in eBay so far, at least not the Epi ones. I like the brown damier ones.

I have monogram, damier, Epi, and my current fave

http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/compact-curieuse-wallet-monogram-empreinte-007196

This is a soft yet surprisingly durable wallet. The pebbles leather makes it hard for scratches and use to show. I am not at all gentle with my wallets but this has held up for 2 years really well. No signs of wear and tear.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for checking! That is lovely but not going to hold all my stuff, and I am not really a fan of the snap closure. It would die in a month lol. Zippers just tend to hold up for me.

As much as the idea of saving the money on a preowned is a serious positive, part of me is thinking about the "Experience" of my first and likely ONLY LV product. I am not an ebay person--I just do not trust it. I also am a little wary of how they handle repairs on secondhand stuff.

Right now I am having a minor panic about the fact that it's so expensive. I can easily afford it but the practical side is coming out of me, even though that practical side is usually the "cost per use" side. With diamonds, yknow, it's easy to see the "value" of quality, right? Then again we all know what a turd I am, and how little I wear my pieces. I value quality and craftsmanship. Why can't I get out of my head about a price? I have this invisible pricepoint for some reason. My current purse, I bought it in like 09? for $470. (This might be 2011? I don't remember if I bought the big daddy or the baby sister first.) I remember nearly barfing when I bought it because that number was just ridiculous. DH was like "think of the quality and how long you use things that are of quality. This is going to take all the abuse, and outlive you." And it has. Enough that when it went on sale a few months later, he said "buy another one since you're likely to kill the thing." Just this year the other was so damn dirty I swapped them so I could clean it. I am now using the backup that's still "brand new". When I mentioned I was looking for a smaller bag he was like "I am stunned you've only just now started considering that. It's been a damn long time with this bag! Did you swap the other one out ever?" He was shocked I only just had.

I think I will be ok when I get past the hurdle. I know I did this same thing when we bought my stone. I don't know if it's the "I am unworthy" feeling or what. But I have a mental block about spending on some things. Clothes especially otherwise I wouldn't look like a fat, lazy, underemployed college student at my age.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I'm sure that's it, the mental hurdle. I also think of cost per use. If it cost $800 and u use it for 5 years. It comes to $.44 per use. And you will be able to use it 10 years, at a minimum. If you use it hard it probably will show some wear, but some wear also makes it beautiful. It makes it you, and yours. Here is a pic of mine after 2 years of constant use. I don't throw it on the cement ground, but I shove it into my purse with keys, books, pens, clothes, my lunch. I transfer it to my backpack gym bag and it gets crushed. However, only 2 years of use. I can post pics of some of my others too. Sorry I know this is not what you are interested in. Just showing durability.

_30298.jpg

_30299.jpg

_30297.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a super old red Epi key case. My mom bought it when I was 10-12. I'm in my mid 40s. She got tired of it but I love it. It may be stained but it still is stiff and holds its shape. You know stuff Epi is. Still snaps fine.

I'm fine with this wear and tear over 30 years. Gives it character.

_30300.jpg

_30301.jpg

_30302.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results