shape
carat
color
clarity

Job hunting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im really getting frustrated with my job hunt.
Iv tried the usual: career builder, monster, newspaper, sending resumes, networking, employment agencies, expanding what I''m looking for from what I want too what I can do with my arm(no lifting) and local and nada results other than a few random consulting/tech jobs(an hour here and there, one long term 4-6hours a month).
A big part of the problem is that for various reasons I cant relocate and a long commute is out for medical reasons and I cant go back to what I was doing because of my arm.
I pretty much have to find something before the end of the month or I''m sunk.
Any ideas of other things I might try?

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
My prayers are with you. Any other career path you could take?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Storm.I''m sorry. That''s not good. Is there anything you can do with telecommuting? Maybe you can get a job that requires commuting, but restricts it to only a couple days a week... and the rest of the week you can telecommute?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Storm, on other job hunting threads there have been suggestions of employment with the government. Is that an option for you? I don''t know what sort of governmental agencies might be located in your area, but hopefully that''s something you can check out too if you haven''t already.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you contacted Temp agencies??

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
have contacted temp agencies and looked into government jobs.
applied for several county jobs in my area and one city.

Had a temp agency tell me they wouldn''t place me because I wouldn''t stick because I was over qualified for the jobs they had I could do.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I can totally sympathize, Strm.

Hubby went thru this 3 years ago. Lay-off, followed by extended period of unemployment. We wound up having to move. It was honestly our only option.

It''s a rough, competitive market for people seeking positions.

In addition to prayers for you and the other wonderful suggestions you''ve had,........ Have you tried Yahoo Hot Jobs?? Incredibly, that''s where Hubby''s current position was listed.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Why not take the GIA course, and begin another career? Seems you were born to it....

cheers--Sharon

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2007 5:40:31 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Why not take the GIA course, and begin another career? Seems you were born to it....

cheers--Sharon

Hehe, my thoughts exactly! You could become the "Asscher" appraiser...I see it now...

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2007 6:25:19 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 6/9/2007 5:40:31 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Hehe, my thoughts exactly! You could become the 'Asscher' appraiser...I see it now...
I think Storm is on a pretty severe budget, having not worked for a while. I don't discourage him of a GIA education, but unless he applies for one of their home study scholarships and is awarded it, I sort of doubt he has the financial resources. One misunderstanding about the GG program is that it is an end, when factually it is the start.

Even then, it does take a bit of time to become experienced, and another significant financial investment in equipment.

I've read that Storm is a computer MSCE, so he already invested significant time and resources to that career. I am not sure what his speciality in computer is ( programming, websites, IT, etc.) but it does seem that a major part of the employers who hire computer experts, have outsourced a major sector of the industry overseas, and significantly lowered the salaries for a lot of computer people. There are some good jobs left, but I think a lot less than 5-6 years ago. I think a lot depends on his salary requirements too.

I wouldn't suggest that he specialize just in Asschers. Yes, they are a bit popular now, but so were pears and marquise a while ago. Diamond shape is FASHION, and that changes over time.

However, Storm you might consider contacting GIA's employment/ career division ( 800-421-7250). In fact they have a job fair coming up soon. Although Storm, if you do call there is that slim chance they know of someone geographically acceptable to you. Worth a shot - I guess.

Rockdoc

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
RockDoc is right, those courses are very expensive, and the only way Storm could do it would be as he mentioned through scholarship, or perhaps if he got a job with a local jeweler and got tuition reimbursement. Again, a long road with no guarantees.

Storm,
Can you make a list of what you CAN do?? That would be helpful. I know with your arm, there are limitations. Thanks!!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2007 5:07:53 PM
Author: strmrdr
have contacted temp agencies and looked into government jobs.
applied for several county jobs in my area and one city.

Had a temp agency tell me they wouldn''t place me because I wouldn''t stick because I was over qualified for the jobs they had I could do.
Sorry to hear, Storm. Re temp agencies...not sure if there''s more you can contact or not...but perhaps a fresh start? Some should understand that, by & large, a temp agency is not the place to go if you''re looking to stick...it''s for things between. Over the years, I''ve availed myself of these. Sorry...they''re for a sometimes "port in a storm...."

Best wishes...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rockdoc, thanks for the explanation, but I was really just kidding about the asscher thing.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you could always become a bookie...LOL! Seriously, though, I honestly have no real advice to offer that hasn''t been mentioned already, but I wanted to pop in and wish you the best of luck in your job search.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2007 10:11:18 PM
Author: Kaleigh
or perhaps if he got a job with a local jeweler and got tuition reimbursement...
with or without reimbursement....this might be a satisfying environment...have you explored it?

Actually, while between jobs, my wife was frustrated by my interest in pursuing pizza cooking gigs, since they were low paying, and did not allow me to take advantage of my other skills. Being an employee in a jewelry store may not be optimizing on these other skills of yours, but could represent an option....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2007 10:11:18 PM
Author: Kaleigh
RockDoc is right, those courses are very expensive, and the only way Storm could do it would be as he mentioned through scholarship, or perhaps if he got a job with a local jeweler and got tuition reimbursement. Again, a long road with no guarantees.

Storm,
Can you make a list of what you CAN do?? That would be helpful. I know with your arm, there are limitations. Thanks!!!
My computer skill set is pretty solid for network admin work and computer hardware/consulting/servers/light programming.
Getting in the door with 8 years experience and no paper is a problem.
I know for a fact my skill set is better than most MSCE''s or even BS degree CS people for what I do.
For the simple reason that when they ran into trouble they couldn''t handle I was the one called for a bunch of clients.
But that was maybe 25% of what I did and the rest was other stuff.
There are a lot of people in the field looking for work and getting past hr without the paper is a huge problem.
In my area a in house network/support job will get 200-300 resumes.
I have talked to a couple consulting places which is what I was doing but set up and installation is a big part of it which is where I''m limited by my arm.

A lot of people in my field have moved into industrial qa/qc jobs but asthma and my arm limit that too. A ton of those jobs have moved to China too.
Recently 2 whole plants employing several thousand people where moved lock stock and barrel to China from my area.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add my sympathy. Do you have any expertise in doing website creation/support? Seems like that might be something you can do from home? The only other thing I can think of is reconsider a move, if there is a strong job possibility somewhere else.
My husband and I joke about relocating to WV (because it''s beautiful and low cost) but there''s no way we could because there are no jobs there.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to wish you goodluck in your job hunt.

Have you tried placing an ad/looking for positions on craigslist? My husband has found extra work from CL. Edited to say my husband does all sorts of computer/I.T. stuff too.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
What does "no paper" mean?

What is the future prognosis with your arm? Is there hope that it will eventually turn to normal?
How limited are you?

Wifey2b is in Canada I think. I am not an expert on the computer world, but it seems that Canadian companies are not outsourcing to India and China? At least I haven''t read that. Perhaps there is more opportunity there?

There also appears to be a significant shortage of labs/gemologist/appraisers there. Perhaps even there is a spot with EGL or HRD in Canada, if they need someone in the computer genre, which potentially might be an opportunity for you to meld your computer skills, and learn more about gemological ones. I think HRD has a school for gemology there which you could potentially attend too, and if you work for them, maybe at no cost.

Just a thought.

Rockdoc

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
How are your diamond photography skills? Are there any local jewelers or area pawn shops that you could setup online?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2007 12:38:51 PM
Author: oshinbreez
How are your diamond photography skills? Are there any local jewelers or area pawn shops that you could setup online?
at one time I was a pro/semi-pro photographer but don''t have a camera right now to build up a portfolio.
Its pretty backwards around here and the web design stuff is pretty much all outsourced and while I can do it I''m not at the level the web design firms would hire me.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried Dice? All the tech folks I know use them for job leads ... and I believe you can keep your resume posted there so folks can contact you. Much more specific than Monster etc.

I feel for ya. I freelance & it''s always an uphill battle to get new clients. It can get very discouraging ... pixie dust outgoing.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your prayers and support...and for trying to be a big help to strm...this is frustrating for more than just reason...
I have not been on here much lately, due to working a fair amount myself. I am being trained to be a secretary for a construction company that is the largest in my area...many sub-contractors and employees of about 8...sor where I live - this is a lot! :} I have also been busy taking engagement pics and getting ready to take wedding pics on the 7th of July. I do not do this for money tho...I do this as a gift to the couple - and they get all rights to their photos and they just pay for any prints they want. But still, it takes a lot of mental stress and I have been busy trying to find the latest in wedding pics and such.
So needless to say - Strm and I have not had a lot of "us" time lately - with 2 hours difference, I am beat and end up making him yawn from all my yawning - lol...
I appreciate any help and support for my honey - and not just for "selfish"
2.gif
reasons, but yeah ok - they are there - giggle...it is hard being away from him and knowing how frustrating this is for him.
Prayers honey...something is gonna have to happen...after all - we are worth something good to start happening for us
30.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear that Storm.Have you considered running your own business.You would be good at it.Just need to figure out what are your interests etc.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2007 12:35:42 PM
Author: RockDoc
What does ''no paper'' mean?

What is the future prognosis with your arm? Is there hope that it will eventually turn to normal?
How limited are you?

Wifey2b is in Canada I think. I am not an expert on the computer world, but it seems that Canadian companies are not outsourcing to India and China? At least I haven''t read that. Perhaps there is more opportunity there?

There also appears to be a significant shortage of labs/gemologist/appraisers there. Perhaps even there is a spot with EGL or HRD in Canada, if they need someone in the computer genre, which potentially might be an opportunity for you to meld your computer skills, and learn more about gemological ones. I think HRD has a school for gemology there which you could potentially attend too, and if you work for them, maybe at no cost.

Just a thought.

Rockdoc
no paper == no msce or other advanced certs, I''m totally self taught/experience.
Iv looked into Canada and they wouldn''t let me in with my heath issues and there are family reasons I need to stick in this area.

elbow: about 90% range of motion, but the tendon that they repaired wont take any weight or repeated motion without extreme pain. Doc says it might get better or might not.
Have a lot of scar tissue around it and that part of it is worse after the surgery where the joint itself is some what better.
Basically its the tendon/muscle that bends the wrist in and keeps it from going back when strait.

elbow strait, Palm up bend wrist so hand/fingers are pointing up and your using the tendon that''s messed up in my arm.
Now picture 85lb server having fallen 4 feet and catching it with your hand bent that way inches from the floor and that is how it was injured as well as hyper-extending my elbow.
The sad part is if I hadn''t been strong enough to catch and hold it and hadn''t managed to stop it I would have done less damage to my elbow.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Hi Storm,

I was in a similar situation just a few months ago so I can definitely relate. Aside from the usual websites, have you tried Doostang, LinkedIn, or Indeed? Also, if you''re looking for any short-term/temp/freelance work, you can also try Guru.

Best of luck to you!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2007 12:48:03 PM
Author: decodelighted
Have you tried Dice? All the tech folks I know use them for job leads ... and I believe you can keep your resume posted there so folks can contact you. Much more specific than Monster etc.

I feel for ya. I freelance & it''s always an uphill battle to get new clients. It can get very discouraging ... pixie dust outgoing.
yea dice is another place I keep an eye on for leads.
Thanks!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you think you could get student loans and grants and go to school to get the "paper" for your skills or to learn new skills? It seems like it would be a breeze for you if you already know how to do it, and oftentimes adult students can get enough loans and grants to cover rent and bills.

Or can you and wifey2b get married quickly so you can get into Canada that way?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2007 1:44:37 PM
Author: thing2of2
Do you think you could get student loans and grants and go to school to get the ''paper'' for your skills or to learn new skills? It seems like it would be a breeze for you if you already know how to do it, and oftentimes adult students can get enough loans and grants to cover rent and bills.

Or can you and wifey2b get married quickly so you can get into Canada that way?
If Id been able too do the certs while on unemployment then it would have been kewl but I was getting my arm worked on instead and couldn''t do both.
Too late now.
Canada is pretty much out.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2007 1:34:01 PM
Author: JenStone
Hi Storm,

I was in a similar situation just a few months ago so I can definitely relate. Aside from the usual websites, have you tried Doostang, LinkedIn, or Indeed? Also, if you''re looking for any short-term/temp/freelance work, you can also try Guru.

Best of luck to you!
thanks hadnt heard of a couple of those and am checking them out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results