shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this complaint-worthy?

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Hello PSers!

I'm generally a lurker, but I have a situation I could use advice about. I'm not usually a complainer about customer service, so I was wondering what others would do. Sorry for the length; I'm not the most concise, I know.

My husband and I recently purchased a living room chair from a nice, but not super high-end, furniture store. We are pretty casual people. We wear jeans and hoodies despite being in our 30s. He works in tech, has no interest in fashion, and no need for it either. I dress down, too, but also wear some daily bling (diamond studs and wedding set). We don't look like slobs or anything, just casual, IMO.

Anyway, we went to buy a particular chair, and ended up deciding on a slightly different one, and went to select the fabric for it. The saleslady was flipping through a bunch of fabrics in our general color range. I found one I liked, but we kept looking through, to make sure it was "the one". There was one she looked at and immediately decided was "too expensive" for us (she said this), and she folded it over so she knew it was "rejected". The woman hadn't asked our budget, and we hadn't even mentioned price. I liked the fabric I'd already chosen, and I didn't think about her comment until later. My husband and I were talking about it after, and we thought it was kind of funny, kind of insulting, but not a huge deal.

So, a couple of days pass, and I'd been thinking about the first chair, the one I had first wanted to order. I realize we are still within our 72-hour window, so I talk it over with my husband, and we decide to go back in and switch the chair style (keeping the fabric choice). We knew our first saleslady was on vacation, but another woman we had been introduced to was there. She helped us out and was lovely to us.

A couple more days pass, and my husband received a voicemail from the first woman, asking why our order had been canceled. She said she "likes to know why people do things" and that we could always come back and find a less expensive material for the chair, if we still want it. She is still on vacation until tomorrow and I guess she isn't aware that we had just changed the order, not canceled it. I'm sure the part she was personally involved with does show as a cancellation, but her name is still listed as the the salesperson for the new order. The crazy thing is that the chair we switched to is more expensive, and we never even had a set budget. My husband tried to call her back to clarify, but her voicemail is not set up properly yet (she's new), so we don't know if she got the message. He was able to confirm that the order isn't canceled, since she did get us slightly worried with her message.

Would you complain about her comments? I mean, sure, we aren't made of money, but we can definitely afford this chair. The implication that we can't based on our looks, is kind of bothering me. I'm not wanting to get her in trouble. I more want her to be aware that her assumptions aren't appreciated. In this case, she is wrong, but even if this purchase were a luxury for us, that's none of her business, right? What would you do or say?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's usually the other way around - salespeople usually push the expensive stuff! I don't know - maybe you and dh look really young and she thought she was helping some young people save some money. There's really nothing in it for her to discourage you from buying the more expensive fabric. I guess it's possible she was inferring you couldn't afford it and it sounds a little weird but I'd probably just let it go *shrug*

eta: if it really bothers you, you could mention it to the saleswoman. I wouldn't get management involved.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
She's new in her job and may be nervous. She wants to do well, or why would she call while not working?
I wouldn't assume anything - it may well be that SHE is having difficulty coming to terms with the prices in her new work place!

This can happen commonly, especially if people are new to an industry. We see our newer staff freaking out about selling properly because they are themselves scared of the prices. She may have been worried about over selling.

I would reassure her in person, or set her straight in person, but I wouldn't insult and I wouldn't complain to her boss.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, junebug and Lara. I think you both made some good points. We thought just mentioning something to her, if we have a chance, was probably best, as well. I truly wouldn't want to make any trouble for her. We're usually very easy-going and patient with sales people, because we realize working with the public can be a trying job.

I think the point about her feeling a bit awkward regarding their pricing might be right on. She did make a comment regarding an item saying it was "pretty inexpensive, well, inexpensive for us". I hadn't considered that before, so thanks for that!

I'll likely take junebug's advice to let it go. I think I was just a little miffed that she brought it up a second time, but I agree it's not a big deal, all said.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd probably say something to her, not to her management. Something to let her know that making assumptions about your ability to afford the combination you had chosen was presumptuous and rude, that it made you uncomfortable, and that it could have cost her the sale. I'd put it kindly - because after all, you're nice folks! Actually I'd put it kindly because the point is not to shame her, but to inform her in the hope that she'll learn from what you have to say.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'd simply clarify with her. I once had a customer do the opposite with me, telling me what items in a store I could afford vs. herself. I very calmly explained that no, I purchased the more expensive item because I had budgeted for a gift. I'd just tell her, we know our budget, and it is not a lower budget, we're more concerned with getting an item we will love long term.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I am also like you. My DH and I look pretty young. We're not extremely well off, but we both have decent jobs and we're good with our money, so we tend to save and splurge on nicer things to get what we want in the long run. We also are jeans/hoodies type of people. I wouldn't like that at all if someone assumed that I could not afford something based on how I was dressed. If I were in your shoes I would not address it with her or management. I would probably ask that the first salesperson's name be taken off of the slip as the person who sold it to me and give the sale to the second, nicer salesperson. Call me passive-aggressive. Haha. If that first lady continues to talk to others like she did to you, she will lose sales and be her own demise.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a similar experience not too long ago but it was for a different product, not furniture. Although we did not complain to management or the salesperson, the message we sent when we requested to work with a different salesperson is clear enough.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts! :)

VRBeauty, you're exactly right. If we say something to her, it will be in a helpful manner, not to hurt her.

dragonfly, that's crazy-rude of that person. I would be shocked if someone said those things. I'm sorry that happened to you! And, your approach with the "getting something we love" sounds just like something we'd say. I like that one a lot.

gem_anemone, I was kind of wondering if the name-change thing would happen, so I was looking for it (I have worked in sales before, and have seen sniping happen). I don't really mind, since she was otherwise helpful, but I understand the sentiment. Also, go team Hoodie!

Chrono, I love seeing your avatar. It's just so beautiful! I admit I'm pretty chicken about rejecting someone outright, as you were able to do. I admire and am jealous of your straightforward approach. Yeah, I'm an avoid-conflict type who's happy that store isn't usually my style, they just happened to have one piece I liked. eta: I got so distracted by the pretty, I forgot to say that I'm sorry you had something like this happen to you, too.

Thanks again. I'm still not sure if we'll have a chance to say something to her discreetly, but it was helpful to vent about it a bit. I appreciate it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results