shape
carat
color
clarity

How long have you been married? Compared to Upgrade/Reset?

How many years have you been married?

• Not yet married.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Newlywed (first year of marriage)

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • 1-2 years.

• 3-5 years.

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • 6-10 years.

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • 11-15 years.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • 16-20 years.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • 21-25 years.

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • 26-30 years.

• 31+ years.

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I was just reading the Upgrade thread, and it got me thinking. (I know, quite a surprise before noon!)

How long have you been married? Do you think that relates to the number of times you have upgraded or the size of your current stone?d

I don't think there is a linear comparison. I think I'm seeing some of the more recently wed having gone through a number of upgrades or having larger diamonds than some of the longer marriages. Do you think this is true? I'd be interested to see what the pattern actually is.

In addition to your vote, please post your story talking about your upgrade (or not) and size of diamond.

I've been married 25 years and have had two diamonds. DH proposed with a .60 transitional cut stone that he inherited from his great aunt. I wore it lovingly for 18 years. The last two of those I started imagining a larger stone, at least a carat. My rationale was that it was time HE bought me a stone. Hee hee! We can find just about any reason to justify our lust, can't we?

We ended up upgrading to a 1.4 stone that looked ridiculously huge on my hand, but I got used to it quite quickly! Since then I have changed the setting one time. Now, I believe, it is in its forever home. I can't imagine bigger, or even different.

The only additional thing to add is that when I started to wear the new stone, I had the first, family stone put into a simple but lovely solitaire setting. It will go to my daughter on her 21st birthday. Then she can set it as she wishes.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Re: How long have you been married? Compared to Upgrade/Rese

DH and I have been married for 4 years as of this past February. I am currently on my first and most likely only upgrade, a 3.62 OEC from jbeg. My original wedding set was a 1/4 ct princess in a halo with a pave shank and a matching pave band from Zales. At the time neither of us knew my better, so we were blissfully ignorant. ;))

About a year and a half ago we started looking into getting a new ring because my set had been poorly resized by the bench at the store we purchased from, the metal was VERY thin and the ring was very out of round. Every jeweler I talked to said there was no way to fix the set without ruining the pave and integrity of the setting. Originally we were going to trade my set in at Zales towards a solitaire, but I stumbled across pricescope-thank goodness because I avoided paying a good chunk of money for a bad quality diamond. Now my original set sits in my jewelry box for sentimental reasons, I think I might use the center diamond of my original e-ring for a pendant for my daughter at some point in the future.

I don't think that our years married really relates to the upgrade. As I said before my initial reason for upgrading was because my rings were permanently damaged. That being said, pricescope did affect the size and quality of my upgrade, eliminating the want for future upgrades. I don't think I will ever want/need for a larger diamond...though who knows, DSS may set in later in life. The only thing I could see is doing in the future(far out future) is possibly changing my setting if DSS sets in or my taste in settings changes.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

I've been married 14 years and I still have my original engagement ring and wedding band. Personally, I'd rather get additional jewelry than upgrade one piece. :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Uppy,

Married for 3.5 years. DH proposed with a 0.98. I upgraded at the 10 month mark to a larger stone (almost double the carat weight).

Started shopping/hunting for a new setting for my original e-ring at 8 months into the marriage! :oops: But I didn't actually settle on a reset for my original stone until about a month ago. I think I'm done with rings for now, and will keep my original stone forever.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I started out with a gorgeous carat and a half that I loved: if it hadn't been for skyrocketing diamond prices, I think I would have waited a lot longer before getting a honker (well, by my standards, anyway - I know for some of our posters, a two and a half carat stone is an earring :tongue: ). As it was, I got a RHR diamond for our five year anniversary. But because my finger sizes are still fluctuating post-partum, I wore it on my left hand half the time, and my original half the time.

Eventually I resized the original to wear on my right hand, because that's where I always wore my wedding band, as per Russian tradition, and I liked the idea of them being together at last. :) One thing I've noticed since, though? Almost NOBODY looks at the right hand, but I get a lot more comments on what people perceive as my engagement ring now. And somewhat better service in shops, which is faintly depressing. Am still trying to decide if I'm going to wear the anniversary ring when we travel to Sweden this summer, or leave it at the bank - I got enough funny looks with the original. If I start double-fisting it, I can only imagine a carny barker will appear from out of thin air to draw attention to the latest member of the freak show, The Amazing Blinged Out Woman! Or, The Amazing Blinged Out American, more like - as social signifiers go, I think when I'm abroad, this might be clearer than waving the flag around ....

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I recieved a .33ct marquis YG solitaire way back when, and wore it for 20 years until upgrading to a 1.06 princess solitaire, set in platinum. I wore that ring for 6+ more years until I wanted to upgrade to a 3 stone. That didn't quite go as planned --- see multiple threads on that nuisance setting!! --- but now, our anniversary is this Friday (27 years on June 22!) and next week, I'll be picking up the revised 3 stone setting from BGD. I don't feel the need (AT THE MOMENT!) to upgrade again... but even James Bond says "never say never"!!!

I do, however, have no restrictions to upgrading, adding, changing anything as a RHR!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

We've been married four years this Fourth of July.

DH proposed with a 2.01 ct modern cushion set in an eternity band. I picked out the original stone and the ring, and while I loved it, I quickly realized it was too modern and blingy for me. (Not because of the center stone size, but because of the overall blinginess of the eternity band setting.) SO, I asked my amazing jeweler to keep an eye out for antique cushions. He found a stone he thought I would love last March, (about 3.5 years after DH proposed) and I fell in love with the stone immediately. My upgrade ring is a 2.3 ct OMC set in a rose gold solitaire.

I didn't have any ideas about how I'd want to set my new stone until after I saw it. I knew I'd want a setting that suited the stone itself, so after seeing it I was able to piece together the type of setting I wanted for it. With a lot of help from PSers, of course!

We traded in my original stone and setting when I had my upgrade made. I don't regret it for a moment. (Though I will keep my original wedding band forever.)

I don't see myself upgrading ever again. I love this stone and this setting so much, that I find it hard to believe I could find a stone that I love even more, and would be willing to give up my current stone for. (However, that 4 ct on OWD is tempting! :cheeky: )

A comparison shot:
ringcomparison.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wore original 1 ct diamond for 30 years and went to 1.6 for the 30th anniversary. I have no intention of ever getting a larger stone. I went for higher specs and a comfortable size over a larger size with lower specs. It's taken a couple of tries to get the right setting, but I love the Vatche Tiffany setting and cannot foresee changing it.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Haven|1340214133|3220295 said:
(However, that 4 ct on OWD is tempting! :cheeky: )
RIGHT?! I LOVE the OEC I am getting, it is going to be my forever diamond....but the cut of that 4 ct is insane. :lickout:

That being said, if you start thinking about getting rid of your ring, I (and probably several other PSers) will come find you and give you a stern talking to because your ring is perfection! ;))

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Haven, I love your new ring!

Well... I'm the outlier, in the sense that we're not even married yet, and I've already changed stones. We've been together for almost 5 years, engaged for about a year. I picked out my original ering myself, though FI payed for it. It was an 1.11 L-color AVC. I loved the stone, but the color showed in the setting, and it bothered me. Just a couple weeks ago I "upgraded" to a .8 D RB (paid for that one myself, and I think I'll keep paying for all other jewelry myself too, I prefer it that way. Unless it's an anniversary present or something). Not sure if I'll stay with it or try to exchange it for an OEC that's a little warmer. I do feel a little embarrassed when I think that other people might notice the changing stones and the changing settings, because I don't know anyone in the real world who shares my jewelry/stones obsession. But FI and my best girlfriends know how my mind works, so they react with understanding, thankfully.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Married 28 years - received a .33 round when engaged back in "83, which I lost but I know is somewhere in this house. After that I wore my wband and a 1 ctw 5 stone I got for my 10th (mixed and matched with a few vintage/antique rings from ebay). Honestly, it never really even occurred to me to try to upgrade for all those years - just kind of assumed it was really expensive to do so, and I was a SAHM and just thought it was a luxury we couldn't afford, so I never even considered it. My husband bought me a beautiful wedding set with a 1 carat stone for our 25th, which I do love. But DSS set in quickly (maybe I'm making up for lost time lol) and I recently got a 1.96 OEC which I absolutely love. I look at it as an early 30th anniversary present!

Confession time: Sometimes I think I could go a *little* bigger but I went through some angst about spending the money for my newest purchase as it is, and any bigger wouldn't really fit in with my lifestyle, so this is it for me. I really don't have a burning desire for any more jewelry - the only things I'd like to do is eventually get a delicate diamond band to go with my OEC and reset my 5 stone band.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have been married for 32 yrs in August. My original ER was a .30 J VS2 diamond that was my husband's grandmother's stone. [I still have this ring] From the start we knew that someday we would upgrade and on our 15th anniversary hubby bought me a 1.61 ct J SI1 princess cut solitaire. This was a "mall" purchase and of course there was no cert. It wasn't a great cut and it faced up small for it's size, more like a 1.25ct plus it had a lot of color. My 50th birthday also fell on the same year as our 25th anniv so I always told hubby that my present that year would be a 2 ct diamond. He was down with that and we even had some 2 ct stones brought in to look at but I had 2 children in college at the time and I just couldn't pull the trigger. I ended up just getting a new setting for my pincess. 2 years later hubby and I spotted my current ring at our local jewelers and immediately fell in love. I "visited" the ring a lot. :lol: One day he surprised me to death by saying that he'd been thinking about this ring and thought that I should have it and viola, it is now mine. It's a 2.52 ct FLY center diamond [3.37cttw]. Most likely this is my final upgrade but you never know, hubby may greatly surprise me again some day. :naughty:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Junebug: if I lost something and thought it was in the house, I'd probably drive myself crazy trying to find it. On the other hand, you can think of it as a hidden treasure :rodent:

Lucky women who don't lust after additional jewelry besides the wedding set. What about the world of RHRs and colored stones? My god, I want every gemstone in every color and multiple versions of each, please :bigsmile: This is really where I'm going to need therapy, I think.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GemFever|1340215961|3220314 said:
Junebug: if I lost something and thought it was in the house, I'd probably drive myself crazy trying to find it. On the other hand, you can think of it as a hidden treasure :rodent:

Gemfever, you should see me sometimes, every once in a while I start tearing the place apart like a crazy person! :lol: The diamond had fallen out of the setting, so I had both in a jeweler's box. My little girl was looking at it, and remember taking the box and for the life of me I just can't remember what I did with it - it's not in any of the places I would have put it. I'd really love it find it.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Been married almost 23 years. I never had a diamond ER, though I have a diamond wedding band, studs and a 5 stone diamond RHR. Then around our 19th anniversary I told DH that I wish I had a diamond ER so he said go pick out whatever you want. I found PS and with the knowledgeable help of members got a 1.5 center stone ring with a total of 4 sidestones. My ring finger is between a 4.5 and 4.75 and my ER looks substantial on my hand. I tried bigger, but 1.5 carats was the perfect size for me and I do not believe I will ever upgrade.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lots of stones, lots of settings.
I have my final stones - the three I was married with; I am a fickle pickle when it comes to settings so I don't pressure myself with absolutes like Forever.

I'll admit that threads like this often annoy me - there is a clear obligation to love, cherish, and proudly wear one's original Whatever in exactly its original form for a certain arbitrary amount of time before the collective masses deem it "permissible to change" (I should say change for the sake of wanting to change, as opposed to Something Happened and I have a Darn Good Explanation). Even here on PS - especially here on PS. Objectively, the only thing that is laudable about loving, cherishing, and proudly wearing one's original Whatever in exactly its original form for X years is the fact that doing so (hopefully) made the wearer & wearer's SO happy!

If I wasn't happy with those three stones, and if keeping them wasn't important to DH, I'd certainly be open to something new. Evidenced by exhibits A-G, or whatever iteration I'm on now...

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Married 9 years, no upgrade, no plans to upgrade.
;))
Plenty RHRs though, and studs. All sorts of plans to upgrade them...

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Been married almost 8 years. DH proposed with a .5 ct that my mom gave us with the understanding that we were going to upgrade to a 1ct as soon as we could. So about a year later I found a .91 that I was happy with. It was DH who planted the seed of an even bigger upgrade. After some trauma in our lives he decided it was time I get my big bling and gave me a budget and told me to go buy a 2ct. Well, I was able to get a 2.5 and thought it was ridiculously big. I still think it's amazingly ginormous and would never want to go bigger (although I too have been spinning my wheels over that 4ct OMC). I'm beginning to really dislike my setting though. I don't think I can ever approach DH about resetting it though so I may just have to learn to live with it.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

GemFever|1340215961|3220314 said:
Lucky women who don't lust after additional jewelry besides the wedding set. What about the world of RHRs and colored stones? My god, I want every gemstone in every color and multiple versions of each, please :bigsmile: This is really where I'm going to need therapy, I think.
THIS!!! :love:

I may not ever change my wedding set again, but I reserve the right to acquire, sell, or trade any colored stone that catches my fancy. In fact Im waiting on my dream ruby ring which may arrive in the next two weeks!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yssie|1340220053|3220389 said:
I have my final stones - the three I was married with; I am a fickle pickle when it comes to settings so I don't pressure myself with absolutes like Forever.

I'll admit that threads like this often annoy me - there is a clear obligation to love, cherish, and proudly wear one's original Whatever in exactly its original form for a certain arbitrary amount of time before the collective masses deem it "permissible to change" (I should say change for the sake of wanting to change, as opposed to Something Happened and I have a Darn Good Explanation). Even here on PS - especially here on PS. Objectively, the only thing that is laudable about loving, cherishing, and proudly wearing one's original Whatever in exactly its original form for X years is the fact that doing so (hopefully) made the wearer & wearer's SO happy!

If I wasn't happy with those three stones, and if keeping them wasn't important to DH, I'd certainly be open to something new. Evidenced by exhibits A-G, or whatever iteration I'm on now...

This is very, very true, and it fascinates me. Nobody ever says, "You bought a new car? HOW COULD YOU! That was the car your parents gave you when you graduated high school!" Instead, it's taken as writ that, yeah, people outgrow things, have evolving tastes, what have you. I genuinely believe it's because, a) we've bought into the idea that the ring is synechdoche for the marriage (justification for the idea that men should spend 1/4 of a year's earnings to prove themselves), and, b) or perhaps a1) the implication that a woman could ever be dissatisfied with anything about a man is HERESY. Because, of course, one of those Darn Good Explanations is that HE simply insisted* .... :rolleyes:

*Not talking about anybody about PS, just about the attitude that men's choices are valid and women's choices are frivolous: see also, the Suze Ormon thread.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Yssie wrote:
I'll admit that threads like this often annoy me - there is a clear obligation to love, cherish, and proudly wear one's original Whatever in exactly its original form for a certain arbitrary amount of time before the collective masses deem it "permissible to change" (I should say change for the sake of wanting to change, as opposed to Something Happened and I have a Darn Good Explanation). Even here on PS - especially here on PS. Objectively, the only thing that is laudable about loving, cherishing, and proudly wearing one's original Whatever in exactly its original form for X years is the fact that doing so (hopefully) made the wearer & wearer's SO happy ...
I completely understand your point. I see it as PS acknowledges and validates everyone's peculiarities.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock

athenaworth|1340220251|3220394 said:
Been married almost 8 years. DH proposed with a .5 ct that my mom gave us with the understanding that we were going to upgrade to a 1ct as soon as we could. So about a year later I found a .91 that I was happy with. It was DH who planted the seed of an even bigger upgrade. After some trauma in our lives he decided it was time I get my big bling and gave me a budget and told me to go buy a 2ct. Well, I was able to get a 2.5 and thought it was ridiculously big. I still think it's amazingly ginormous and would never want to go bigger (although I too have been spinning my wheels over that 4ct OMC). I'm beginning to really dislike my setting though. I don't think I can ever approach DH about resetting it though so I may just have to learn to live with it.

Nooo! I LOVE your setting! What do you dislike about it? ;(

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Circe|1340221350|3220416 said:

This is very, very true, and it fascinates me. Nobody ever says, "You bought a new car? HOW COULD YOU! That was the car your parents gave you when you graduated high school!" Instead, it's taken as writ that, yeah, people outgrow things, have evolving tastes, what have you. I genuinely believe it's because, a) we've bought into the idea that the ring is synechdoche for the marriage (justification for the idea that men should spend 1/4 of a year's earnings to prove themselves), and, b) or perhaps a1) the implication that a woman could ever be dissatisfied with anything about a man is HERESY. Because, of course, one of those Darn Good Explanations is that HE simply insisted* .... :rolleyes:

*Not talking about anybody about PS, just about the attitude that men's choices are valid and women's choices are frivolous: see also, the Suze Ormon thread.
Indeed. I've had some friends show shock and dismay when they realize I upgraded my original ring for my current ring. This is totally in line with what Circe said--that the ring is somehow syndecdoche**** for the marriage.

This belief (IRL and on PS) was something that irked me for a while. However, I've realized that some people infuse a lot of sentiment and meaning into objects, while others just don't. Or, we just choose different kinds of things as the objects of our sentimentality. Is it annoying when people think I'm somehow less committed to my marriage because I dared to trade in my original e-ring? YES. But I think it's less a function of people being judgmental jerks, and more a function of people having very different beliefs about the meaning of various objects.

****O/T but I have to share one of my favorite stories from my student teaching days:
I had to observe others teach for 100 hours before I could begin my student teaching. One day, I find myself in this super pretentious English teacher's classroom; he taught all the AP classes and thus thought that made him amazing. Well, the day's lesson was on synecdoche. As he was supremely arrogant, you can imagine my delight when he proceeded to repeatedly say "sin-eck-doshe" throughout the entire class session. I just sat in the back and held in my laughter as well as I could. After that day I thought of him as Mr. Sin-eck-DOUCHE in my head.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is very, very true, and it fascinates me. Nobody ever says, "You bought a new car? HOW COULD YOU!

The difference is a car generally isn't given as a gift. A lot of people view the e-ring as a gift from the man to the woman, and so people are shocked when essentially they think the woman is saying his gift wasn't "good enough" for her. Now, I don't share that mindset at all (I upgraded after 10 months!), but I do think others think like that, and it's unfortunate that people will judge and think she's materialistic or greedy or "never satisfied."

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

We were married 4 and a half years when my other set was stolen. I had the ering reset do to a horrible local sizing job with this Vatche a year later, and it's been almost a year and a half of dealing with that setting now. So since my replacement ering stone was .33points bigger (in part due to supply) it's technicalyl my 5 year anniv upgrade lol

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Haven|1340222961|3220454 said:
****O/T but I have to share one of my favorite stories from my student teaching days:
I had to observe others teach for 100 hours before I could begin my student teaching. One day, I find myself in this super pretentious English teacher's classroom; he taught all the AP classes and thus thought that made him amazing. Well, the day's lesson was on synecdoche. As he was supremely arrogant, you can imagine my delight when he proceeded to repeatedly say "sin-eck-doshe" throughout the entire class session. I just sat in the back and held in my laughter as well as I could. After that day I thought of him as Mr. Sin-eck-DOUCHE in my head.

Heheheheh - that was totally me back in college. See, I read a lot, and understanded what I read, but I was the only person I knew using some of those words at my alma mater, and it wasn't until I hit grad school that either I started to learn from example, or people started to gently correct me. Sign-ek-doshe I picked up in class, but it took my advisor harrumphing the last time I practiced my MA defense to clue me in that lascivious was NOT pronounced las-vicious! One of my grad school friends said her dad (an older, successful, pulled-himself-up-by-his-bootstraps sort) had the best defense if anybody ever called him: he would just quirk an eyebrow and say, "I'm sorry, I read a lot." Hey, it's true! But the whole thing did teach me that there's no shame in asking, about pronunciation, or anything else for that matter. Totally worth the retroactive blush!

Laila619 said:

This is very, very true, and it fascinates me. Nobody ever says, "You bought a new car? HOW COULD YOU!

The difference is a car generally isn't given as a gift. A lot of people view the e-ring as a gift from the man to the woman, and so people are shocked when essentially they think the woman is saying his gift wasn't "good enough" for her. Now, I don't share that mindset at all (I upgraded after 10 months!), but I do think others think like that, and it's unfortunate that people will judge and think she's materialistic or greedy or "never satisfied."

I know, Laila, but that's why I included the line about the hypothetical car being a gift - a lot of the things we receive are gifts, and from people we don't have shared economies with, at that. The idea that a woman has to take what she's given in this hugely symbolic category, even as we move into a brave new world where women tend to have a lot more agency ... well, I don't think it's a coincidence, is all. :|

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Circe--In all fairness to Mr. Sin-eck-DOUCHE I've been guilty of the same. But the added bonus of his extremely large ego made it all the more delicious.

Seriously, though, you have to admit that "sin-eck-doche" is SO FAR from the correct "sin-ek-duh-kee" that it is pretty funny.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Been married 28 years engaged with a small band of rubies and diamonds, less then 2 years later I got a .18 round diamond solitaire, merged them into 1 ring in 1991 (?) wore that for years till I outgrew it..then I wore CZ's for awhile..then I got my 1 ct princess cut around 2001, I havent upgraded yet...but I am planning a reset maybe for my 3oth anniversary...Let see wedding bands I got married in a 6-7mm 2 toned engraved band, then a channel set band in 1992, then a wrap with the princess (hated that) and now my 5 stone and a plain 2mm gold band....I am sure I have missed something somewhere lol

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Haven|1340228259|3220543 said:
Circe--In all fairness to Mr. Sin-eck-DOUCHE I've been guilty of the same. But the added bonus of his extremely large ego made it all the more delicious.

Seriously, though, you have to admit that "sin-eck-doche" is SO FAR from the correct "sin-ek-duh-kee" that it is pretty funny.

Oh, FAR be it from me to deny it - just copping to my own days as a syne-ek-DOUCHE! And with good humor, too - it's funny!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Circe--My most embarrassing moment in undergrad had to do with a small honors English class, a blind professor, and my repeated mispronunciation of the word despot. It was actually so embarrassing that I dropped the class, so I've certainly been Mrs. Sin-eck-DOUCHE myself. :cheeky:

At least I can use the story with my own undergrads when I'm teaching them the importance of looking up both definitions and pronunciations for unfamiliar words!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results