shape
carat
color
clarity

Frustrated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m obviously impatient! LOL I have so many questions about cushions and I''m completely dismayed by the lack of info out there. I''d love to even see a light return diagram - a pic of light return - anything! I''ve seen some diagrams of different cushion cuts, but sometimes they don''t even match the stone, obviously. Now that''s frustrating! Cushions are clouded in so much mystery that I''m both intrigued and, well frustrated LOL

Using what I can gather from the info I find on rounds (which is copious) I am trying to figure this out for myself, but still... some confirmation from those who are in the know would be so helpful.

I guess I just need to start calling EVERYONE until I can find someone who will answer my questions. Mark, Jonathan, Bob, Brian, John... hmmm... have I missed anyone? LOL!

Thankfully, most questions I have are general enough that the wonderful people here know the answers to! Yay! I love PS. This is the best thing I''ve found so far... but the fire is lit and I''m yearning for gratifcation! lol Can anyone relate??? I''m dying here... I keep hitting refresh LOL!!!!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
when i bought my pear. i studied and researched and....when it came right down to it, I made sure the culet was in the right place, and then went with my heart and eyes.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrs salvo was looking for a cushion for almost a year i think?!!? it seems like they can be very hard to find.

you may want to consider a more modern cushiony type stone like the jubilee or similar...where they are kind of cushiony shaped rounded squares...they will have the best light return most likely to your eye but they do have the more 'sharp faceted' look to them than the old fashioned chunky facet cushions....so not sure what you want to see in the diamond.

also check out the thread someone started in the FAQ called something about cushions, it had a fair amount of information in there about old vs new cuts...we have seen some amazing cushions around here, i would find a good vendor or two and put them on the hunt for you. also as you search around PS, take heed of who people have purchased THEIR fab cushions from and that way you can start to figure out who might be best to work with to find the 'look' you want.

good luck!!!

ETA: here is the cushion thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-cushion-by-any-other-name.36001/

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can understand your frustration, seems like really great cushions ARE hard to find. I believe Mark Turnowski has found some of the nicest one''s I have seen on PS. Hang in there, they are out there, just have to sift through a lot of them to find the one that speaks to you. Good luck, I adore cushions!!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 7:43:59 PM
Author: Mara
mrs salvo was looking for a cushion for almost a year i think?!!? it seems like they can be very hard to find.
Wow... yeah well I''m in no hurry. I figure my 20th is in less than 5 years and I''m blowing a wad on a renewal at 25 LOL However tomorrow would be good too ::nodding:: hehehe :D It HAS been 15 years already that I''ve been waiting... what''s one more?

What I really seek right now is an education. If I''m well educated I make their job easier. They can throw stones at me and let me figure it out rather than just having to have me at the top of their mind constantly. That would suck them dry for the deals you get on cushions. Nah, I''d rather make their job easier buy understanding, clearly, exactly what I want and how tight I want those parameters set. Color is least important to me, but I''d like to have a D with med flour :D I''m serious, but I know that will never come LOL ::snap:: But with the funky old settings I lean toward, I''m going to do white gold and not be afraid to embrace a J. I''ve set my parameters loosely with carat. Finding my own private idaho in a stone is really a package deal. I do want a clear stone. If it had a little somewhere special I could look to identify it on my finger I don''t think I''d really care, but it better be discrete, like a mole on your bum LOL Cut is key to me and I''m gonna be picky as hell. That''s what they tell ya to do right? LOL! They tell you to demand perfection. Okay. What is a perfect cushion? I want one. Put it on my finger and I will pay you :) I cant wait to delve into the cuts. Oh yay it''s monday, who''s open... I have a list of people I need to call LALALA :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

you may want to consider a more modern cushiony type stone like the jubilee or similar...where they are kind of cushiony shaped rounded squares...they will have the best light return most likely to your eye but they do have the more ''sharp faceted'' look to them than the old fashioned chunky facet cushions....so not sure what you want to see in the diamond.
Nah... I don''t think so. I mean, I''m still *open* but I don''t think I like "brilliant" cuts. They''re too... I have no idea LOL Too eightish? Is that a word? LOL I want to see if I can find something else to dazzle my eyes... I want a longer stone... maybe even up to 1-1.5. Doubtful, but possible. Ideally between 1.20 and 1.40. There is just so much variance and complexity in this stone... I want to own one. I want to own the perfect one LOL Seriously... and I don''t mean perfect by anybody''s standards but my own - ya know?

Plus, I do prefer the chunkier light patterns. The pinfire is fabulous but a little too... chaotic? for me? I want to throw rainbows that land on the ground! bahaha (think I can do it?) :D

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2006 2:11:34 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

you may want to consider a more modern cushiony type stone like the jubilee or similar...where they are kind of cushiony shaped rounded squares...they will have the best light return most likely to your eye but they do have the more ''sharp faceted'' look to them than the old fashioned chunky facet cushions....so not sure what you want to see in the diamond.

Nah... I don''t think so. I mean, I''m still *open* but I don''t think I like ''brilliant'' cuts. They''re too... I have no idea LOL Too eightish? Is that a word? LOL I want to see if I can find something else to dazzle my eyes... I want a longer stone... maybe even up to 1-1.5. Doubtful, but possible. Ideally between 1.20 and 1.40. There is just so much variance and complexity in this stone... I want to own one. I want to own the perfect one LOL Seriously... and I don''t mean perfect by anybody''s standards but my own - ya know?

Plus, I do prefer the chunkier light patterns. The pinfire is fabulous but a little too... chaotic? for me? I want to throw rainbows that land on the ground! bahaha (think I can do it?) :D

cehrabehra, your best bet is getting someone like Mark T working in your corner. Definitely still educate yourself at what is most pleasing to your eye but Mark is right in the heart of the diamond district and has access to hundreds of stones. he can walk across the street and look at stones for you without having to pay to call them in. It''s a huge plus when sorting through cushions. Once he knows what your after, he''ll only inform you of the ones you''d be interested in. 1-1.5 is an average size, cushions a whole lot smaller loose some of their charm b/c they just face up so small for their weight. also, the fact that you want it more rectangular can help too. You might also check out some estate jewelry stores and see if you can find an old cut. they most likely will have the chunky facets you''re after. Seriously though, you can make theprocess sooooo much easier by working with a vendor. Mark T would be the one I''d go to for a cushion, no question.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 8:12:47 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I can understand your frustration, seems like really great cushions ARE hard to find. I believe Mark Turnowski has found some of the nicest one''s I have seen on PS. Hang in there, they are out there, just have to sift through a lot of them to find the one that speaks to you. Good luck, I adore cushions!!!!
Hi Kaleigh :) Thank you! I think I''m going to go with the guy who described "flavor" to me. He might know more about flavors other than brilliant than those who may attempt to steer me toward brilliants.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2006 2:42:48 PM
Author: mrssalvo

cehrabehra, your best bet is getting someone like Mark T working in your corner. Definitely still educate yourself at what is most pleasing to your eye but Mark is right in the heart of the diamond district and has access to hundreds of stones. he can walk across the street and look at stones for you without having to pay to call them in. It''s a huge plus when sorting through cushions. Once he knows what your after, he''ll only inform you of the ones you''d be interested in. 1-1.5 is an average size, cushions a whole lot smaller loose some of their charm b/c they just face up so small for their weight. also, the fact that you want it more rectangular can help too. You might also check out some estate jewelry stores and see if you can find an old cut. they most likely will have the chunky facets you''re after. Seriously though, you can make theprocess sooooo much easier by working with a vendor. Mark T would be the one I''d go to for a cushion, no question.
That''s very good to know. The votes of confidence are in! LOL This is such a crazy journey lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2006 2:42:48 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 7/10/2006 2:11:34 PM

Nah... I don''t think so. I mean, I''m still *open* but I don''t think I like ''brilliant'' cuts. They''re too... I have no idea LOL Too eightish? Is that a word? LOL I want to see if I can find something else to dazzle my eyes... I want a longer stone... maybe even up to 1-1.5. Doubtful, but possible. Ideally between 1.20 and 1.40. There is just so much variance and complexity in this stone... I want to own one. I want to own the perfect one LOL Seriously... and I don''t mean perfect by anybody''s standards but my own - ya know?

I''ve talked to a couple people, and I still feel thirsty for information. It''s crazy. Every day I kick myself and think I should just get a round. It would be so easy.

I''m really having trouble digesting that there are only three flavors of cushion that I can really consider when there are dozens of cuts of cushion out there. And there just is no interest in making a perfect cushion. There''s LOTS of interest in cutting a perfect round. I''m lucky that my size and color are so flexible but I really want a good stone. I just spent quite some time looking at moremoremore''s pictures and I think they''re gorgeous but I''m not sure I want such a four-squared sort of look to my stone. Damn it''s gorgeous though... reminds me of an asscher - kind of lol Maybe I do want that? But I guess I wish six facets or eight really chunky and evenly spaced facets. Or ten. In my head I can see this beautiful cushion and it just simply doesn''t exist. ::sobbing:: But I believe it is possible... I haven''t given up hope. I just need to figure out the cut thing... and... there''s not much out there... because there''s not much interest LOL

FRUSTRATING!!!!! I''ve looked through the threads that people have linked me to, I have done searches on PS and on the web, I have exhausted GOG, WF, ERD, and several other sites... and I have yet to see ONE picture of light return on a cushion. Not one. You want to see it for a round I could find a hundred. I am desperately seeking info on the cuts so I can decide if I even really WANT a cushion. If a cushion isn''t going to provide me what I want in the end, then I need to make another choice. And if it''s just a matter of waiting a few years for technology to catch up, I''m willing to wait. But if it''s hopeless I want to know before I waste any more of my own time and everyone else''s. ::whinewhinewhine::

In the end, you guys will share my glory, right? :) I''ve waited THIS long!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra, I do not know much, technically speaking, about cushions but you came to the right place. there is so much information to be gotten here. I happen to LOVE cushions, I think they are incredible. But I also like the softer ones, while I like asschers and have an emerald cut, which I love, it is the soft yet symmetrical quality of the cushion that I love. Good luck, I think if you decide what you want once you have educated yourself, you will just need to have the patience to get the exact one you want!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2006 6:43:46 PM

FRUSTRATING!!!!! I've looked through the threads that people have linked me to, I have done searches on PS and on the web, I have exhausted GOG, WF, ERD, and several other sites... and I have yet to see ONE picture of light return on a cushion. Not one. You want to see it for a round I could find a hundred. I am desperately seeking info on the cuts so I can decide if I even really WANT a cushion. If a cushion isn't going to provide me what I want in the end, then I need to make another choice. And if it's just a matter of waiting a few years for technology to catch up, I'm willing to wait. But if it's hopeless I want to know before I waste any more of my own time and everyone else's. ::whinewhinewhine::

In the end, you guys will share my glory, right? :) I've waited THIS long!
Hey Cehra, if you're simply looking for a sample ideal-scope photo we sourced a nice cushion not too long ago. I can find it and put it in your 'fancy gurus' thread in RT.

ETA: Link to fan-gu

And...if you have seen these distinctive diamonds and they speak to you don't allow yourself to be talked out of one. It's like having a classic car: A different look, but no less beautiful than any other.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unlike rounds, I just don''t think there IS a way to make a "perfect" cushion. That''s like asking for the "perfect" Picasso or the "perfect" rose. Optical precision might actually HARM the eccentric nature of Cushions.

BUT - you might wanna check out the Cushion/Asscher hybrid Tiffany developed for their Legacy collection. You''ll pay a premium - but, it is unique and if it floats your boat - perhaps worth every penny....

Or the "Cushette" -- a particularly brilliant cushion. Or the Square H&A''s that are available at Good Old Gold. Cushion outline, H&A optical brillance.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2006 7:52:29 PM
Author: decodelighted

Or the ''Cushette'' -- a particularly brilliant cushion. Or the Square H&A''s that are available at Good Old Gold. Cushion outline, H&A optical brillance.

I was just thinking that too deco. the square H&A might be the visual look you''re looking for..

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2006 7:24:57 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 7/10/2006 6:43:46 PM

FRUSTRATING!!!!! I''ve looked through the threads that people have linked me to, I have done searches on PS and on the web, I have exhausted GOG, WF, ERD, and several other sites... and I have yet to see ONE picture of light return on a cushion. Not one. You want to see it for a round I could find a hundred. I am desperately seeking info on the cuts so I can decide if I even really WANT a cushion. If a cushion isn''t going to provide me what I want in the end, then I need to make another choice. And if it''s just a matter of waiting a few years for technology to catch up, I''m willing to wait. But if it''s hopeless I want to know before I waste any more of my own time and everyone else''s. ::whinewhinewhine::

In the end, you guys will share my glory, right? :) I''ve waited THIS long!
Hey Cehra, if you''re simply looking for a sample ideal-scope photo we sourced a nice cushion not too long ago. I can find it and put it in your ''fancy gurus'' thread in RT.

ETA: Link to fan-gu

And...if you have seen these distinctive diamonds and they speak to you don''t allow yourself to be talked out of one. It''s like having a classic car: A different look, but no less beautiful than any other.
Hey! I didn''t know you''d find me here haha - I thought this was a safe place to come and whine and dream a little without burdening you with it LOL

Yeah, I want a 53 corvette on my finger bay-bee!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2006 6:52:53 PM
Author: diamondfan
Cehra, I do not know much, technically speaking, about cushions but you came to the right place. there is so much information to be gotten here. I happen to LOVE cushions, I think they are incredible. But I also like the softer ones, while I like asschers and have an emerald cut, which I love, it is the soft yet symmetrical quality of the cushion that I love. Good luck, I think if you decide what you want once you have educated yourself, you will just need to have the patience to get the exact one you want!
I can drum up patience to actually find the stone... I guess I feel in a hurry to even verify that this is the stone for me. I wanted an oval for 15 years but they just didn''t make the cut (pun intended) and I''m really excited about this...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2006 7:52:29 PM
Author: decodelighted
Unlike rounds, I just don''t think there IS a way to make a ''perfect'' cushion. That''s like asking for the ''perfect'' Picasso or the ''perfect'' rose. Optical precision might actually HARM the eccentric nature of Cushions.

BUT - you might wanna check out the Cushion/Asscher hybrid Tiffany developed for their Legacy collection. You''ll pay a premium - but, it is unique and if it floats your boat - perhaps worth every penny....

Or the ''Cushette'' -- a particularly brilliant cushion. Or the Square H&A''s that are available at Good Old Gold. Cushion outline, H&A optical brillance.
when I say perfect I mean one that *I* think is perfect :D Of course! lol!!

I''ll check out the hybrid, for kicks... though I doubt I''ll be going to tiffany''s for a ring lol the cushette is indeed an improvement on cushion cut, generally speaking... but it highlights popular pinfire rather than chunky flash so not really for me... same with the the square H&A. I really want a longer ring anyway.

I just want the world... no biggie right? It''s out there lol!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results