shape
carat
color
clarity

Doctors keeping a CC on file - is that OK with you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Made an appointment with a new doctor today for a physical - they informed me that aside from showing early to fill out forms, etc., to bring a credit card they can keep in file. I questioned why and she gave me kind of a quick "it''s for billing purposes."

This is bothering me - I see the reason why they would want to have my cc on file, but I don''t think it should be a "requirement". Would it bother you, or would you just do it? And would it be enough to not go to that doctor?

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I would not allow them to keep my cc on file. I only pay dr. bills after I''ve received me EOB from my insurance and made sure that the 2 match up. I''ve definitely had instances where they were very different and it took a while to get it sorted out. I wouldn''t trust the dr''s office to not charge the card if they thought it had been too long.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t do it-they can just send you a bill. Plus I bet they would use it to charge you if you don''t show up to an appointment or cancel too close to the appointment.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have noticed this trend at the last few appointments i''ve had with new physicians/groups. i refused to leave the cc and have yet to be refused to be seen. why would i leave my credit card # for they to access or charge at will or to be hacked by an outside group?

movie zombie

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I agree... I would never leave my CC on file at the doctor! I''ve worked in a doctor''s office and I know all of the crap that happens with billing issues. Don''t do it!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would tell em to take a long hike on a short pier over shark infested waters.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK - so would you show up and then refuse at the moment when you're asked, or would you call before the appointment and let them know beforehand you won't be leaving you CC on file?

Just trying to avoid an uncomfortable moment or a possible confrontation if they refuse to see me - I might feel a little embarrassed if other people are waiting and can hear. I'm not afraid of "unexpected" confrontations but if I expect them I get anxious...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
go and leave all your credit cards at home.

A lot of doctors are using outsourced billing as well as transcription to India, China or Korea.
I interviewed with the US arm of one such company and the network security was appalling.
Do not give them a CC number.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 7:55:42 PM
Author: CJ2008
OK - so would you show up and then refuse at the moment when you''re asked, or would you call before the appointment and let them know beforehand you won''t be leaving you CC on file?

Just trying to avoid an uncomfortable moment or a possible confrontation if they refuse to see me - I might feel a little embarrassed if other people are waiting and can hear. I''m not afraid of ''unexpected'' confrontations but if I expect them I get anxious...

I would call beforehand and say you''re not comfortable leaving a CC on file and see what they say. That way you''ll know if they won''t see you or not and they''ll already know you''re not doing it.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Under no circumstances would I leave cc info on file. I wouldn''t say anything before the app''t either. If treatment is refused for lack of a cc, go to another practitioner, or if it''s an emergency, to the nearest hospital.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Karl - that gives me an ADDITIONAL and FACTUAL reason for not wanting to give them my CC #. I will leave my credit cards at home.

It was bothering me "just because" - we give so much of our information every time we go see a doctor - I hate, hate, hate giving my SS # too.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 8:02:44 PM
Thanks, Karl - that gives me an ADDITIONAL and FACTUAL reason for not wanting to give them my CC #. I will leave my credit cards at home.

It was bothering me 'just because' - we give so much of our information every time we go see a doctor - I hate, hate, hate giving my SS # too.
I have never had a doc ask for a SS number around here.
I wouldn't give them that either.
If they got nasty id give them the universal sample number hehehehe
078-05-1120

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_security_number#SSNs_invalidated_by_use_in_advertising

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I would not leave a credit card on file either... just having those numbers available doesn''t thrill me.
My doctor has always just had me write a check after my visit- why should that be a big deal?

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I work in the billing office of a hospital and I can tell you that we use it for the deadbeat patients. They sign a waiver before their outpatient surgeries.

If they have been billed numerous times and do not pay we reserve the right to charge their cards. It helps us reduce bad debt....with that said...dr''s offices for general office visits should not be using them...

I will also tell you this....we can check your credit history and find out anything we want about you. We frequently do this for our low income patients that need to qualify for Medical Assistance or Financial Assistance. We can look at your liklihood to collect, your credit score, your balances on your credit cards, whether you have ever filed for bankruptcy or even if you have liens.

Don''t be surprised. Even if you refuse to give us your social security number we can still find it. Giving a universal number will not help you in the long run. It will only hinder you in the long run because you could be messing up your medical history.

Hospitals are now reporting to credit agencies so make sure you pay you bills on time, they will go after your credit score....even if you can only pay ten bucks a month, they cannot do anything to you or report you....in my office if you pay on time for over a year we will likely just write off your bill in good faith.

Times are changing. Hospitals are businesses too and they require $$ just like everyone else.

Another thing to consider....if you are a recurring customer/Patient, then you might want to have a prepaid cc on file. Just enough to pay frequent copays.

If they require you to have one on file, use a prepaid. We don''t know the difference.
2.gif
2.gif

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I own a medical billing service and can tell you I have never nor would work ever work for a physician or facility that supported this type of practice. Totally unethical and the type of doctor that would require this would not be a client of mine.

As long as you pay a minimum of $1.00 per month towards your balance, you can not be reported to a collection agency for unpaid debt.

I agree with Alexis that for Medical or Financial Assistance patients, it really is like applying for credit. But for the everyday patient with valid insurance, I would RUN out of an office that would ask for a cc.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes, I wouldn''t leave my cc number either! The office I work at has a machine to swipe your cc or flex account card, but we would never ask to keep it on file.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 8:02:44 PM

It was bothering me ''just because'' - we give so much of our information every time we go see a doctor - I hate, hate, hate giving my SS # too.

You do not have to leave your social security number. Insurance companies have changed their policy numbers... They used to be your SS#, but obviously that''s not safe anymore. And, they cannot deny you services because you won''t leave a CC#. That''s illegal.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 7:35:01 PM
Author: robbie3982
I would not allow them to keep my cc on file. I only pay dr. bills after I''ve received me EOB from my insurance and made sure that the 2 match up. I''ve definitely had instances where they were very different and it took a while to get it sorted out. I wouldn''t trust the dr''s office to not charge the card if they thought it had been too long.
Exactly. I have had too many issues with billing something under a wrong number, etc. that kicks it out of insurance, then they bill you for the full amount. I would just have them send me a bill or go to a different doctor.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
In my past line of work I found some Drs offices would do something called "up-coding" they dont do that on purpose- as that is illegal. Your insurance company often times looks at the codes the dr''s office uses and can cut charges based on this practice. They also have rates negotiated that they can charge which if they charge over those rates- the office loses that money. Discriminating against patients for not leaving a credit card also seems illegal.... I do like Alexis'' idea of leaving a prepaid credit card. However, it just seems like a lot of work on your part.
As she says they are just trying to ensure that they get paid for services rendered. Even if you dont leave a credit card on file, there are ways they can get paid, but they are just more time consuiming- and cost the office money (ie debt collection agencies)- however that is NOT your problem. It does sound like they want the card on file to charge for missed appointments... I might call your insurance company and put in a complaint and shop around.
Girlrocks says it best... the cc on file is not really a bad thing- a lot of companies keep your cc on file w/o you neccessarily knowing about it. Yet, if you have insurance, they shouldnt need it. The Drs office can call before your appt to verify that your health insurance policy is active- and if it doesn''t go through - then they can bill you. If this is their practice and they dont waiver and this makes you highly uncomfortable... pull out the nikes and RUN.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah - I''m not going to leave them my cc #. We''ll see what they say/what happens. And you''re right, tlh, I could get a prepaid credit card, but that is a lot of work on my part.

Anybody else aside from tuckins who agrees that they cannot legally refuse service because I don''t want to give a credit card? Wouldn''t that just be considered a company policy or it''s different because it''s a doctor''s office?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why would you give them your SS number? When I fill out the form, I just leave that part blank. I''ve never paid a dr. bill with a credit card, so there has never been the problem you''re encountering.

When I do you my CC for stuff (mostly for online), I just say no to the part where they ask if you want them to keep your number on file.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 9:44:45 PM
Author: ~*Alexis*~

Hospitals are now reporting to credit agencies so make sure you pay you bills on time, they will go after your credit score....even if you can only pay ten bucks a month, they cannot do anything to you or report you....in my office if you pay on time for over a year we will likely just write off your bill in good faith.
To add to what Alexis said, a year back, I got a copy of my credit report and found an error on it from a dr. I had overpaid $7.00 on a dr. bill from way back from when my son was born and the amount had accidently been put as a debt rather than a credit. I posted about this here on PS before and mentioned I was turned down for a loan because OF THAT! My credit score was 730 and my credit report was fixed but it took a lot of hassle to fix it.

Another important reason to keep an eye on your credit report!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Its not a bad thing to have a prepaid CC on file for the DR, its nice to have one for online purchases or for when you travel as well. That way if you lose your card or it gets stolen then you only "lose" the amount on your card and your bank info is still safe.

Plus you are still protected by the cc company....for the most part.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexis - I hear you on the fact that doctors and hospitals are businesses after all. But I think for me it''s just the principle - I don''t WANT to give them my credit card, prepaid or not - it just bugs me to the core.

And many times I''ve left the SS spot blank, but several times the receptionists will insist that you fill it in - I never stopped to think that I could actually REFUSE...

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 7:54:52 PM
Author: strmrdr

haha me too. They also always ask for my ss#, and I refuse. Oh and now, in CA, doctors are asking you to sign an arbitration agreement before treatment. My doc wouldn't put my cast on unless I signed, so I signed...but I didn't like it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 4:48:00 PM
Author: coatimundi

haha me too. They also always ask for my ss#, and I refuse. Oh and now, in CA, doctors are asking you to sign an arbitration agreement before treatment. My doc wouldn't put my cast on unless I signed, so I signed...but I didn't like it.
any contract signed under duress is invalid, just like the contract in the ER they make you sign will not stand up in court.
So the agreement is not valid.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 5:03:56 PM
Date: 1/3/2009 4:48:00 PM

haha me too. They also always ask for my ss#, and I refuse. Oh and now, in CA, doctors are asking you to sign an arbitration agreement before treatment. My doc wouldn''t put my cast on unless I signed, so I signed...but I didn''t like it.

any contract signed under duress is invalid, just like the contract in the ER they make you sign will not stand up in court.

So the agreement is not valid.

Thanks for the info strm! Very interesting--why make us sign? Is it solely a formality for their malpractice insurance? --just started noticing these agreements a few months ago.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 5:13:29 PM

Thanks for the info strm! Very interesting--why make us sign? Is it solely a formality for their malpractice insurance? --just started noticing these agreements a few months ago.
muddies the waters a little.
In a major case it wont matter as it will a small part of the cost and time spent but on a small or marginal case it can drive the cost to the point of not being worth it.
Therefor an attorney is less likely to take the case on a % basis because arbitration almost always results in smaller rewards.

In IL any case between $10000 and i believe $100000 is mandatory arbitration anyway so they don't use them.

edit: it is $100000 not $500000
edit again: they are trying to raise it to $1 million which will mean almost all cases go to arbitration.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 5:51:01 PM
Date: 1/3/2009 5:13:29 PM

muddies the waters a little.

In a major case it wont matter as it will a small part of the cost and time spent but on a small or marginal case it can drive the cost to the point of not being worth it.

Therefor an attorney is less likely to take the case on a % basis because arbitration almost always results in smaller rewards.

In IL any case between $10000 and i believe $100000 is mandatory arbitration anyway so they don''t use them.

edit: it is $100000 not $500000

makes sense--thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results