shape
carat
color
clarity

do women lie about the size/weight of her e-ring? anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
we ran into one of my wife''s friend while having dinner...

i said...nice ring.
she said...thanks,it''s a little over 2ct.
6.gif

i knew she was B.S ing me.
9.gif
her rb solitaire ring was nowhere near 8mm in diameter.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
How big do you think it was DF?

I haven''t lied about the size. FI wants me to just tell people it''s a sapphire though so I don''t have to explain what "spinel" is. But it has been catching attention already because it''s so sparkly.

I kind of want to say that it''s 1 and a quarter carats even though it''s only 1.2cts, but I think thats just because it flows off the tongue better. No one has asked yet.

BTW, I saw my Aunt''s ring for the first time since discovering PS, and I always thought it was huge! Mine is around the same size as a 1ct diamond...and her''s is TINY in comparison. Fascinating...

And I have had people lie to me about what size their rings are. I''ve had people tell me to lie to others about my rings. Even if I add a couple of points, I''m going to keep it close to reality. Why lie anyway? Make yourself feel superior?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2008 4:01:05 AM
Author:Dancing Fire
we ran into one of my wife's friend while having dinner...

i said...nice ring.
she said...thanks,it's a little over 2ct.
6.gif

9.gif
Maybe it had an enormous depth and girdle, all bottom and no top - a weight waster?
11.gif

But to answer the question, no
16.gif

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I have never lied about the stats of my original engagement ring.

It is 18 carat yellow gold with a 1/3 carat diamond. A fairly standard UK sized e.ring. In fact, a lot of people think it is rather big! LOL

They should visit PS sometime and see the U.S girl''s rings if they want to see big.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never lied about the size of mine when I''ve been asked. I''m in love with it so don''t need to lie about it!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
No, I have never lied about mine, but I do know people who would do something like that. It''s the same kind of person who tells you "how big" the stone is, and "how much" it cost, when all you said is "nice ring".

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never lied about the size of my pet rock.
21.gif

Gee, DF, this thread makes me wonder what MEN lie about the size of???
12.gif
2.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2008 8:40:38 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
21.gif

12.gif
2.gif
9.gif
Good 'un Emm!!!
11.gif

I don't know that I've had anyone ask the size of mine. Not sure what I'd say. Its like .85, so I'd probably just say its a little less than a carat......or between 3/4 and 1 ct.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
21.gif

12.gif
2.gif
LOL. Irishgrrrl, I swear your mind is always in the gutter.

And I LOVE it!
31.gif

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Funny enough, aside from sharing my stats with PS''ers I''ve never told anyone the size of my stone. As a matter of fact I''ve never even dreamed of how I would answer if anyone ever outright asked me
40.gif

I always thought that it was a tacky & tasteless question to ask. To me it always just fell in the same category as: "Oh, what does your husband do? How much does he make? Oh, what a big house you have, how much did it cost?" "Tacky-azz questions" is what I was always heard my mom say as a little girl coming up.

Here on PS it''s different though. I think in this community it''s more like we all share a genuine common interest and when asked, it''s not to judge or compare; but just because we''re all just truly in love with everything Gemstone! I guess if I was just randomly asked by someone I guess I would look at them and blink a few times nice and slow followed by something like: "Big enough to sparkle, or Big enough to make me smile every time I look at it".

But I''m kind snooty like that sometimes I guess...
27.gif
LOL!

~SL.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
21.gif

12.gif
2.gif

Yep!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
You''d be amazed by how many people don''t understand the size of a diamond when you throw a number with a decimal in it, at them! 1.36, or 1.82..or even .58 ! They just look at you and say "so less than a carat", or "more than a carat?". I only had two people ask me what size it was. The first gal said "nice ring, that must be about a carat and a half? I replied "a little closer to two carats"
31.gif

If someone asks..I would say it''s "just shy of two carats". 7.8mm..vs 8mm..is close enough for me!!

(For those who don''t know...my diamond is 1.76 carats), which rounded off..is 1.8..which rounded off again is almost 2 !
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2008 9:11:20 AM
Author: joflier

21.gif

12.gif
2.gif
9.gif
Good ''un Emm!!!
11.gif

I don''t know that I''ve had anyone ask the size of mine. Not sure what I''d say. Its like .85, so I''d probably just say its a little less than a carat......or between 3/4 and 1 ct.
9.gif
11.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2008 9:26:28 AM
Author: elledizzy5

21.gif

12.gif
2.gif

And I LOVE it!
31.gif
LOL! I''m in good company, Elle . . . you''re right there with me!
9.gif
2.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock

i said...nice ring.
6.gif

9.gif
I would be suspicious of anyone that offered that information without being specifically asked.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if the woman is lying in this case, or if she was told false information by her hubby, however:

My DH''s friend''s wife tells everyone (unsolicited, of course) that her RB is "a 2 ct solitaire." It faces up much smaller than my 2 ct cushion, and definitely much smaller than my good friend''s 2 ct RB. I wonder if her hubby just told her it''s a 2 ct, though, because she doesn''t know a thing about diamonds.

I just smile and say "It''s gorgeous."

My guess is that there are some insecure or uninformed women out there who lie about the weight of their ring. I''ve only had a few people flat-out ask the size/weight of my ring, and it''s always awkward when they do. I''ve never lied about it, though.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/24/2008 10:29:59 AM
Author: meresal

we ran into one of my wife's friend while having dinner...

i said...nice ring.

she said...thanks,it's a little over 2ct.
6.gif

9.gif

I would be suspicious of anyone that offered that information without being specifically asked.

I definitely agree!

I wouldn't lie about size if asked.
But as someone said before most people know wouldn't know what the decimal meant anyways, so I'd probably dumb it down and round for them
9.gif
Like if I had a .80 I'd just say it's a little over 3/4 ct.

But I don't think it's a question that's frequently flat out asked. I wouldn't take offense to it really, but I think it's tacky to ask (in real life - definitely does not apply to PS!!).

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!!!

I''ve only been asked about the size by one person, and I was rather surprised at the question. She asked me if it was one carat, so I just smiled and said yes, even though it''s about a 1/4 more, so technically, yes, I have lied about the size of my stone!
12.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
21.gif

12.gif
2.gif

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, That''s telling him!!! good one Supa Grannie!!!
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Do women lie about size?
28.gif
Don't men?
9.gif

Ooops, I see someone already called you on that one!! I need to read further before I reply!

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I must admit that I''ve lied about the size of mine...by underestimating it. I''m a bit of a late bloomer school wise, so I was in college with people a lot younger than me and they always had a cow about my ring. When asked what size I would just tell them it was around a carat when the center stone is 1.28 and the total weight is about 2.
Like others have said, I''ve also found that it throws people off by putting a decimal in there, so I just say 1.
I had a funny story when someone asked me about the size and I was assuming she meant ring/finger size so I told her it was about a 5. She freaked out and handed my ring back to me. We didn''t figure out the misunderstanding until later and she explained that when she thought I meant 5 carats she didn''t feel comfortable trying it on anymore.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think most people lie about it specifically, they just don''t realize the real "specs" of their stone.

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Most people don''t ask, but when they do, I just round the weight to the closest 1/4 carat. For example, I say my 2.28 ct. round is 2 and a quarter carats, and my .99 ct. round I say is a 1 carat. I don''t think people want the exact number, and I think they might even look at you strangely if you gave them the exact number because most don''t really understand much about diamonds to begin with.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2008 9:58:00 AM
Author: beau13
You''d be amazed by how many people don''t understand the size of a diamond when you throw a number with a decimal in it, at them! 1.36, or 1.82..or even .58 ! They just look at you and say ''so less than a carat'', or ''more than a carat?''. I only had two people ask me what size it was. The first gal said ''nice ring, that must be about a carat and a half? I replied ''a little closer to two carats''
31.gif

If someone asks..I would say it''s ''just shy of two carats''. 7.8mm..vs 8mm..is close enough for me!!

(For those who don''t know...my diamond is 1.76 carats), which rounded off..is 1.8..which rounded off again is almost 2 !
9.gif
Ha ha ha ha! This is SO TRUE !

Soooooo, mine is 1.014 which is just over a carat which is nearly 1 and a half which could be 2cts...right?

I like this thread. Actually me and my newly 2 ct rock love this thread.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2008 4:11:10 AM
Author: FrekeChild
How big do you think it was DF?

I haven''t lied about the size. FI wants me to just tell people it''s a sapphire though so I don''t have to explain what ''spinel'' is. But it has been catching attention already because it''s so sparkly.

I kind of want to say that it''s 1 and a quarter carats even though it''s only 1.2cts, but I think thats just because it flows off the tongue better. No one has asked yet.

BTW, I saw my Aunt''s ring for the first time since discovering PS, and I always thought it was huge! Mine is around the same size as a 1ct diamond...and her''s is TINY in comparison. Fascinating...

And I have had people lie to me about what size their rings are. I''ve had people tell me to lie to others about my rings. Even if I add a couple of points, I''m going to keep it close to reality. Why lie anyway? Make yourself feel superior?
1.6-1.7 ct.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2008 4:11:23 AM
Author: Lorelei

i said...nice ring.
6.gif

9.gif
Maybe it had an enormous depth and girdle, all bottom and no top - a weight waster?
11.gif

But to answer the question, no
16.gif
yeah,like 67% depth with super thick girdle,but i don''t think so
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
21.gif

12.gif
2.gif
well,i don''t. i always say i got cheated at birth.
39.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2008 9:26:28 AM
Author: elledizzy5

21.gif

12.gif
2.gif

And I LOVE it!
31.gif
yeah, i learn a lot of that stuff from IG.
31.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2008 2:06:48 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

21.gif

12.gif
2.gif
well,i don''t. i always say i got cheated at birth.
39.gif
I must say I do not like the smutty tone which has broken in and lowered the tone of this topic. Back to the serious issue of whether women lie about the size/weight of their e-ring!

(
31.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results