shape
carat
color
clarity

Do any non-jewelry people in your life ever say weird things when describing it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
And I don''t mean just not knowing terminology! I don''t know, maybe my guy is the only one that does this? Here''s why I''m asking:

The other day, J and I were talking about engagement rings, and he asked how many photos of different styles I have saved on my computer. I said I had about 60 photos, but lots were of the same ring from different angles, and a few were of rings I''d like eventually (like an asscher eternity
30.gif
).

Annnnyway, to not totally overwhelm him, I said there were 3 or 4 that were my favourites, so he asked to see those. They all RBs, and one of them was a halo, included mostly because it looks totally different than the other ones (mostly just plain solitaires with a bit of detail on the basket) and I sometime think I should go for a halo for the finger coverage, even though I''m not really a fan of the look for me.

So what does he say when he sees the RB in a halo? "Whoa, that one looks like a moon base."

Er....whaaaat?
helpme!.jpg

So, is it just my darling dear who says weird things about jewelry?
33.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Ha HA! My hubby is the same!

I have my round in a temp setting, because I have no idea how I want to ultimately set it, and I actually love the 6 prong---anyway, when I show him halos he always says "WHOA LIBERACE!" Any time he sees a ring he deems "busy," it's always this "Whoa Liberace!"

He thinks the most delicate beautiful halos are Liberace-esque!

and for your viewing pleasure...

2_liberace6.jpg

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
I sent pictures of my Asscher cut e-ring to best friend and she said "It looks like a piece of glass". Uh, thanks? Non-jewelry people just don''t get it!
14.gif

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Before we got engaged, I was trying to explain to my now husband that I liked rings with side stones. He said he preferred solitaires because he didn''t like the "nuts and bolts" on the side.
20.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hahahah, oh dear...I''m both glad and frightened I''m not the only one!
3.gif

Incidentally, I was thinking that the "moon base" comment may have actually been a compliment in his mind--he''s totally into sci-fi, so...maybe? Hard to tell.
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 7:22:54 PM
Author: coatimundi

I have my round in a temp setting, because I have no idea how I want to ultimately set it, and I actually love the 6 prong---anyway, when I show him halos he always says 'WHOA LIBERACE!' Any time he sees a ring he deems 'busy,' it's always this 'Whoa Liberace!'

oh my goodness Coati, that is too funny!!!!!
lol.gif
I saw the Liberace museum in LV; he has some interesting and cool stuff!
3.gif
I had been to LV way too many times to count and felt it I needed to take a trip over there. hehe His style is totally Rococo (over the top)
41.gif
Your guy is silly; Love the picture btw! hehee

Gwendolyn, that is funny about the moon base.
9.gif
I think it is interesting listening to people describe jewelry; they take it to a whole new level sometimes. hehe

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have my round in a temp setting, because I have no idea how I want to ultimately set it, and I actually love the 6 prong---anyway, when I show him halos he always says ''WHOA LIBERACE!'' Any time he sees a ring he deems ''busy,'' it''s always this ''Whoa Liberace!''

ROFL at Coaties and her Liberace pic!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread is hilarious.
9.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I can totally relate - when my husband and I went ring shopping, I ended up with a solitaire because all of the other settings we looked at looked like "old lady rings" to him. I really liked the idea of either antiquey micropave or a 3-stone style, but all of those that I tried on he dubbed "old lady rings."

I asked him why he liked the solitaires so much, and he said that they really focus on the beauty of the diamond, there''s no other "business" to detract from it - plus, I really wanted a platinum setting, and I really wanted the biggest diamond in our budget, so a plat solitaire was what we went with.

But now that he''s seen some of my friends'' rings, all with sidestones (they all got engaged after us) he told me that he thinks the delicate pave look is really pretty. So, I think that I will finally go with something like that when we upgrade my settings, and he will just have to get over it ;-)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moon base? LOL

My bf says that rings with large solitaires and thin bands look like blisters to him. ehh??? I was a little suprised with that description. He then explained that he likes the metal to be equal width to the stone and taper to sides.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I hear ya!

Conversations with friends who aren''t as jewelery savvy always include the words "thingy", "stuff" and "metal". it cracks me up

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
One of DW''s friends jokingly said "let me see that chandelier" when she first noticed DW''s new ring. Another one said "Point that thing somewhere else! The firepower is blinding me!". The bench guy at a custom jeweler said the diamond looked "like a drop of water".

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
My parents make pipe fittings. When my sister got her engagement ring, she said "It looks like a saddle!" She meant, of course, a pipe tapping saddle. Like this:

saddlesum.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
when I show him halos he always says ''WHOA LIBERACE!'' Any time he sees a ring he deems ''busy,'' it''s always this ''Whoa Liberace!''
LOL!!!!! When I was e-ring shopping I *thought* I wanted a halo ... but when I tried some on my hand my very fashion-savvy best friend was all "VIVA LAS VEGAS!!" And that became our term every time I gravitated toward one OFF my hand. Off the hand: GORGEOUS
30.gif
... On my hand: TACK-TASTIC!
25.gif
Our muse was more Vegas-Era Elvis than Liberace but the intent remained the same.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 6:42:36 AM
Author: Skippy123

I have my round in a temp setting, because I have no idea how I want to ultimately set it, and I actually love the 6 prong---anyway, when I show him halos he always says ''WHOA LIBERACE!'' Any time he sees a ring he deems ''busy,'' it''s always this ''Whoa Liberace!''

oh my goodness Coati, that is too funny!!!!!
lol.gif
I saw the Liberace museum in LV; he has some interesting and cool stuff!
3.gif
I had been to LV way too many times to count and felt it I needed to take a trip over there. hehe His style is totally Rococo (over the top)
41.gif
Your guy is silly; Love the picture btw! hehee

I gotta take hubby to the Liberace museum!! That''s awesome that you''ve been there Skippy! That''s right up our crazy alley
3.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
When DH and I went ring shopping, I immediately put on the Tacori we eventually bought. Completely different from any other ring I had cut out, saved to my computer, gazed at in magazines, etc.; so he wondered why I was so sold on the simple platinum setting (for a princess) with a tiny micropave halo. Because he''s a guy (duh) and did not realize that the center stone was a CZ in the store sample, he didn''t find it particularly appealing. He insisted that I look at all the other styles "just to be sure".

I had literally inundated him with ring images until he was dizzy; but he was sure he knew what I liked anyway, and now I was just confusing him. When the saleslady asked me "Do you like baguettes?", he said (in a WTF exasperated laughing tone) "Well she did yesterday!"

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, pre-PS, I was bad... one of my girlfriends has a BEAUTIFUL 1 ct rbwith 3 round sidestones on either side (sortof in the shape of leaves) and then rb prong set bands above and below her e-ring. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe all of the sparkle, and I said "WOW...that thing...it's like a million crystals!" and she said "Um, they're diamonds." (I think I would have been a little irked too, haha).

DH and I called my setting "the water ring" because it reminded us of waves. I wish I could remember more of our goofy names for things...there were several setting contenders and they all had bizarre names that we references to what they reminded us of.

ETA: That pipe fitting is UBER cool. Is it bad that I find it super descriptive, too???

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 1:34:58 PM
Author: Elmorton

ETA: That pipe fitting is UBER cool. Is it bad that I find it super descriptive, too???

It''s just a setting writ large I suppose! Hers had multiple small diamonds where the nuts and bolts are, so it really did look like a saddle! She is divorced now and misses her ring because she still maintains that it is like having a pretty little pipe fitting on her hand. Of course, my mother has an actual copy of a pipe fitting around her neck in gold. and small.

It''s like seeing shapes in clouds... you see what you are familiar with!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
When FI and I went to see his mom a while back, her friend looked at my ring and asked if "those are rhinestones on the side?" Rhinestones?! No! They are pink and white DIAMONDS lol.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hahaha, great stories, everyone! Blisters and saddles, wooo, I love it!!
9.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2008 6:23:03 PM
Author: oobiecoo
When FI and I went to see his mom a while back, her friend looked at my ring and asked if ''those are rhinestones on the side?'' Rhinestones?! No! They are pink and white DIAMONDS lol.
The rhinestone comment would tick me off, especially because of the white and PINK diamonds in your mounting.

When we got engaged, my future monster-in-law looked at my ring and said nastily "oh, I could never wear something THAT big". I just thought- hey, lucky for you, you never will! Then she went on to ask me if those were "chips" on the sides of the mounting....... I said chips? What''s a chip? and went on to explain that they were G/H color etcetcetc. none of which registered in her feeble brain.

My husband also tells me (when I get dressed formally) that I look like a Christmas tree with diamonds in my ears, on my neck, fingers and wrist. ohboy...........
40.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread is tooooooooooooooo funny!!!!!
9.gif

Linda

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2008 1:22:05 PM
Author: Linda W
This thread is tooooooooooooooo funny!!!!!
9.gif

Linda
Ditto! I love "listening" but don''t have any stories to share, sorry.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
This thread is fantastic.

One of my coworkers today said that when she got engaged, she ended up with a 1 ct. H&A. Only, the way she put it was, "I got one of those heart rings. Not the shape, just....like, you looked into it and there were these tiny little hearts and it was adorable."

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Darling BF (who has since learned better!) once described a beautiful Leon Megé setting as being "boxy, like an old Volvo"!!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2008 5:22:27 PM
Author: Delster
Darling BF (who has since learned better!) once described a beautiful Leon Megé setting as being ''boxy, like an old Volvo''!!!

My heart just stopped for a second.

Like an old Volvo??? Yikes.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
DH's cousin has an oval center stone in her e-ring, like I do. She has a tendency to "compare" with other people (income, house size, etc)... and for a while whenever I saw her, she would comment disdainfully on how obsessively I must "clean" my diamond to make it so white and sparkly, and how she should really start cleaning hers more often so that it can look like that again. Her ring is a beautiful symbol of her wonderful 10-year marriage, but the stone is not the best cut and probably K-ish in color, which cleaning is not going to change... but obviously I've always just nodded along. She's not a jewelry person, and I figured it was okay if she didn't know any better. Meanwhile, every time somebody would comment on my ring, she'd jump in with, "Yeah, she cleans it almost every single day, isn't that so funny??"

Well, we happened to be at a wedding last summer and when she saw I was running my ring through the ultrasonic, asked if I could do hers too. When I gave it back (minus the dirt and smudges, but definitely still the same stone), she was visibly confused. Since then, she has yet to mention another word about how very "clean" my diamond is.
2.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2008 10:01:57 AM
Author: gemgirl
Date: 3/7/2008 6:23:03 PM

Author: oobiecoo

When FI and I went to see his mom a while back, her friend looked at my ring and asked if ''those are rhinestones on the side?'' Rhinestones?! No! They are pink and white DIAMONDS lol.

The rhinestone comment would tick me off, especially because of the white and PINK diamonds in your mounting.

When we got engaged, my future monster-in-law looked at my ring and said nastily ''oh, I could never wear something THAT big''. I just thought- hey, lucky for you, you never will! Then she went on to ask me if those were ''chips'' on the sides of the mounting....... I said chips? What''s a chip? and went on to explain that they were G/H color etcetcetc. none of which registered in her feeble brain.

My husband also tells me (when I get dressed formally) that I look like a Christmas tree with diamonds in my ears, on my neck, fingers and wrist. ohboy...........
40.gif

I always tell hubby, like Popeye, I yam what I yam. And that is a bling loving gal! So come over to the dark side and accept it! I happen to think Christmas trees are lovely!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2008 12:58:30 AM
Author: ephemery1
DH''s cousin has an oval center stone in her e-ring, like I do. She has a tendency to ''compare'' with other people (income, house size, etc)... and for a while whenever I saw her, she would comment disdainfully on how obsessively I must ''clean'' my diamond to make it so white and sparkly, and how she should really start cleaning hers more often so that it can look like that again. Her ring is a beautiful symbol of her wonderful 10-year marriage, but the stone is not the best cut and probably K-ish in color, which cleaning is not going to change... but obviously I''ve always just nodded along. She''s not a jewelry person, and I figured it was okay if she didn''t know any better. Meanwhile, every time somebody would comment on my ring, she''d jump in with, ''Yeah, she cleans it almost every single day, isn''t that so funny??''

Well, we happened to be at a wedding last summer and when she saw I was running my ring through the ultrasonic, asked if I could do hers too. When I gave it back (minus the dirt and smudges, but definitely still the same stone), she was visibly confused. Since then, she has yet to mention another word about how very ''clean'' my diamond is.
2.gif
You sound so sweet and patient. I totally would have snapped at her at some point. Pretty funny the way it ended up, guess it all worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results