shape
carat
color
clarity

CaliBling... The impossible diamond hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I figured I would start this so we don''t threadjack all those celeb rings!!!

Ok so... I can''t lie, this hunt for the perfect diamond (for me) is way harder than I ever would have imagined!!! I hate to upset anyone... but literally I have had 4 people looking for us. I really just can''t believe that all we were able to find is 2 stones. What did you think of those 3 stone posted in the other thread by Rhino??? I''m curious... what are your ideal stats?? ANd what is your timeframe?

Oh... and why can''t I find any great pics of Jessica''s Abla''s ring>??? I''m loving it, and it is so unlike what I have been coveting... Did you see my post about the Leon that I like so much, r782...?

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
BUMP
35.gif

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Crookedrock-
I''m obviously NOT Calibling but thought this would be a good place to get your attention. I was in Mark''s office today looking at a few stones he pulled for me and he showed me the stone he pulled for you. GIRL, that thing is ON FIRE! It is a serious beauty! All I saw were the big, gorgeous rainbows flying off the top!
30.gif

I''m SO ENVIOUS!!!!

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Stop you are killing me here!!!!! Tell me more... I don't have the cert in front of me right now but I recall it only got a GD/GD and it's a J... Seriously how did it look to you as far as color etc...? I know he lurks here ( Hi Mark!) But be honest!
What were you looking at, and I going to have to fight you for it?? LOL

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
If I had the money, you would definitely be fighting me hard for it...I wish I was getting a stone that large!
39.gif
I'm looking for something close to 2.0cts with the antique chunky facets. No luck so far but I'm sure Mark will find something.

As far as color, the only color I saw was sparkle. No joke! I think my jaw dropped when Mark brought out that stone. You can definitely see a hint of color from the side, but it was SO BRIGHT face up and with so much fire power (the pastels were gorgeous). I had it next to an I, and then and E & F. It BLEW the I away; no comparison. It only was slightly warmer compared to the E & F. And with that size, like I said before, all you really see are the rainbows. Oh, and by the way, I didn't get to see these in any sort of spotlighting...this was regular ol' flourescent.

I'm obviously not an expert, but I didn't have any problem w/ the symmetry or polish. I think if your goal is to find a gorgeous stone w/ big chunky facets, then the symmetry might not matter as much anyway.

You are a lucky lucky girl!

PS-I think I saw in another thread that you wanted to turn it East/West (which oddly is what I eventually want to do). It certainly looked long enough to me for that. I'm not sure what the stone was but I am also looking for a stone around 1.15 L/W and it looked nice and rectangular to me.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for all the info. I am in no way an expert either and your description makes sense to me rather than talking about ASET images, etc...
I hate to take up your PS time, I know how valuable it is, but if you have a few mins to help me here I would appreciate it.

~This thread here has a pic of 3 cushions next to each other. The one in the middle is the other option. any thoughts? Do they look similar as far as the chunky facets?

~I think the stone you saw has a 1:13 ratio... You really wouldn''t have a problem with an east west? I set out to find something more rectangular, but this is all that has been shown to me.

~Also I really love this setting on Leon''s site http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/search.php it''s r782. You mentioned seeing the color from the side. It makes me think even if this stone were able to be set east west would it be ok in this setting?

Sorry you haven''t found anything yet... I feel your frustration. All this and we literally have 2 options. It''s a waiting game I guess... And my gosh, you were looking at E''s and F''s, you are making me jealous now!!! Do you have a setting in mind?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!
36.gif

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Do not even apologize for one second for taking up my PS time! I love this stuff (and my fiance is so sick of hearing me talk about stones)!!

Yeah, I could look at ASET pictures til I was blue in face, and still have no idea what I was seeing.

Ok, so the stones from GOG. It is SOOOO hard to judge a cushion by the picture since the one I saw was "live action." I think it was closer to the one one the far right with a ton of chunky facets, but I'm not sure. But, I also think Mark said it was a modern cut so it may actually be more like the one in the middle patterning-wise. Sorry...I wish I had paid a little more attention. All I know was the facets were definitely chunky (and really pretty chunky); I just don't remember if it was super chunky or chunky with some modern. SORRY! I wish I had brought my camera!

Setting east/west; totally would NOT be a problem for me! That stone is huge and could totally be turned on its side. Tiger007g's stone/setting was my inspiration and I think, but I'm not positive that it's right around that 1.15ish just by my eye. Oh, and her's is an M (3.0ct) just to give you an idea of color from the side. https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/leon-mege-and-antique-cushion-t42904-60.html

I really wouldn't worry too much about seeing color from the side. When I saw it, it was on a white white piece of paper. In real life, you won't have it lying on white paper. I'm sure in a setting you would see little to no color at all. That setting is GORGEOUS btw! UMM...CAN YOU GET ANY BETTER...GORGEOUS STONE, GORGEOUS SETTING!!! Can I borrow your boyfriend for a lesson for mine!!

Actually, Mark had called in the E for me but I decided to come down to an H-I so that I can get a bit more size. So if anyone reading this is looking for one of those GORGEOUS new cut chunky facets stones, there is a stunning 1.66 E available at Mark's!!

I think Mark mentioned you guys get to see it soon. I really hope that its your stone!! Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

ETA: Ok, don't think I'm a loser...I measured tiger's stone on my screen and it was 2inches by 1.75inches (roughly) which would make it just about 1.14 L/W ratio.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Haha. I am sure my Bf is sick of listening too, but well... he has no choice! LOL After 8 years I deserve a couple months of diamond talk...

Again thank you, thank you, thank you! You are so helpful!! But how dare you go visit diamonds and not bring a camera, isn''t that against PS rules or something?
3.gif

I too love tigers ring! I have wanted an east west for a while and only recently come across hers, and wow! It''s gorgeous... I don''t think I saw that it was an M or a 3ct. Thanks for the info! I love that setting but unfortunately those teeny bands look silly on me. I only have size 5 fingers but my hands are literally huge!!! I need that substantial setting, even thickened a tad to have it look normal on me. I even considering a teeny halo, bc I love the size it adds to it. I''m sick I KNOW!
38.gif

Did you happen to notice the culet on that stone? I hate when they look like a big hole in the stone, not my taste...
And what about a bowtie?? I think the stone on the right in the pic of the 3 has a bowtie, and it kinda turns me off...
I know I am sooo picky!!

How funny that you measured the screen, I''m only jealous bc you know how and I don''t... I wouldn''t know how to translate it into a ratio...I use the gem appraiser site!
We will be in NYC next weekend and I am foaming at the mouth to see it now, and I also can''t wait to meet with Leon, maybe he will come up with something even more fabulous for us... who knows!!!

As for your fiance, did he propose without the ring?? I seems as though he''s being pretty tolerant too, but they''d probably enjoy a beer together and a night of not talking about diamonds!

I have to say it again... THANKS FOR THE HELP!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
8 years...damn girl, you definitely deserve that stone for sure!! I waited 5, so I know your pain (and we just had our 7 year anniversary last month). Mine did actually propose without a ring and we designed one together; the one in my avatar (this was in 2006). But I was a dolt, and accidentally threw it away when I was cooking about a month ago. [Side note: I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for you to have insurance ASAP on your ring.] So, this will be ring #2. He's actually a bit annoyed that I upped the budget with the wedding coming up, but I feel like I deserve it...ya know? At this point, he's like do whatever you want...whatever makes you happy.

I know, I committed the cardinal sin of PS - Thou shalt always have a camera for diamond photos...

Oh my god, a size 5? Huge? Are you sure you're looking at your hands??? You know the teeny bands make that stone look even BIGGER right???? Mara and Gypsy looked at a gorgeous 4ct stone w/ a halo and a teeny band (let's see if I can find the picture). I was actually trying to figure out how it would look turned sideways.

Hmmm...I don't remember seeing a culet (which I don't really like either) but I may just have been blinded by the colors. There was a slight slight bowtie but again the facets were so big I don't think you can avoid at least some bowtie. Nothing seriously noticeable, plus remember that's just a picture so in real life, moving around I don't think you'd notice it as much anyway.

Mark and Leon in one weekend!!! What an awesome trip. I'm sure Leon will have fabulous ideas for you. Do you have anything else planned? I'm in NYC if you need any ideas.

Ah...here's that cushion I was talking about...(I don't know how to do multiple photos in one post so bear with me)... ETA: I think Mara wears a size 6 (for size ref)

forCR.jpg

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! That is gorgeous!!! Why am I such a size whore!!! So bad of me...
38.gif

I was wondering the same thing though... how about a halo sideways... But then again does having it set "normally" give the appearance of more finger coverage?
27.gif
Wish I was good with photoshop bc I would love to see that.

I know that the thin bands make it look bigger, but I am so scared that I will literally break it. I am always wrestling with the dog or cat and need something durable. I would consider making it look like 2 really thin bands. I have an example of one that looks like 3 bands... I would even conside one thin band then 2 wedding bands for it... but I know Leon isn''t a fan of that.... We''ll have to see...
That ring looks amazing on her! I can''t get over it! And a size 6 finger... WoW! The stone in that other thread is a 3.17 that he says faces up bigger. NOw you are making me want only the 4 ct! What are you doing to me!!!???

By the way so sorry to hear about your original Ering.. bummer!!! But now you get to start from scratch and that''s always fun... Hopefully your rock willl turn up soon... Have you contacted GOG yet?

PStripleband.jpg

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Tell me about it SDL! I can't get over it! I'm in a daze of bling!

Where is this thread with these pics? I can't find it!!

ETA: I am trying to play with the pic and turn it sideways, and besides the fact that I can't make it look decent, I think it might actually be too wide to go east west!!! OH nO! Any photoshop people who can help??

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Going to bed in a minute but it''s Gypsy & Mara''s trip to Joe Escobar. I think Gypsy started the thread.

If you can''t find it, I''ll look for it tomorrow. And post a thread in Rocky Talk about photoshopping! Someone will def. do it for you.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
SDL - Isn''t it amazing. It''s saved in my faves folder! Easy access!

Ok my dear. Here''s the thread with all the goodies from the trip to Joe Escobar.

FABULOUS Bling Bling!

I think there are plenty of size whores on here. Me included, but unfortunately, I''m gonna have to wait at least a few years to get to where you''re gonna be. Have I said I''m envious of you enough???

With the 2 bands idea, I know Mark is actually designing a very similar setting (with halo) for someone on the boards called MP. He designed it specifically so that wedding bands could fit flush next to it. Maybe you can ask Mark about it. (Can you tell I spend WAY too much time on Pricescope???) We actually talked about east west stones yesterday so I think he has some familiarity with that design.

HA HA ... my goal is accomplished. I''ve been trying to tell you the whole time that you NEED that 4 ct. stone. Someone from here has to have it. I really love it!
30.gif

I haven''t contacted Jon yet, and I don''t think I will. Partially because it''s so much easier to get to Mark since I''m here in the city (don''t have to pay shipping and can see the stones live) and partially because I have this weird loyalty thing and now that I''ve already worked with Mark, I don''t really want to work with anyone else.

So do you guys have any other plans for when you''re in the city? Or is it just for a weekend of diamond fun extravaganza?

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
This ring project is priority numer 1!!!. The BF''s sis and husband live there, as does my Uncle. Actually the BF lived there for 3 years... I can''t say NYC is my favorite place, but For a few days it can be fun, unfortunately I know it is frigid up there, and leaving sunny Florida is hard for me.

As for the loyalty thing... I totally understand. I really like Mark, he''s fabulous to talk to and so helpful. It''s just hard being here and trying to buy something there, and considering the amount we are willing to fork out, only being given one option is kinda tough. That''s why we did go ahead and contact GOG b/c I really felt there had to be more. Not that I didn''t believe Mark, its just that sometimes they have different sources... And I have to say That Jonathan was just was wonderful as Mark was, I would love to buy something from both of them, I really would! Maybe down the road when I can convince the BF that I need earrings I can buy a stone from each of them! LOL.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Well good luck! I really hope you find it this weekend. At least you''ll have fun doing it!!

I guess I have it easy, being in the city. If I was not here, I''d definitely use as many resources as possible. Also, you''re looking for an even more difficult to find stone to I am so that definitely requires more people on the hunt!

CaliBling

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh, how did I miss this entry looking for me???
33.gif
I am literally on this board a few times a day (okay, more like every other hour!)...

Crookedrock, this is such exciting news, but honestly, I am dissaspointed that you weren''t able to find more diamonds that you fit your parameters? I mean, I would think that there would be a pretty sizeable amount for you to at least comparison shop- Only 2?? Guess you learn something new everyday....

Your meeting with Mark and Leon?? When?? Or did this happen already?? I am DYING to know how your meeting goes with Leon, I want details, girl...starting from "Hello..." heehee...

I too, am in LOVE with Jessica Alba''s ring, but I can''t find good pictures ANYWHERE!! I have literally tried on every search engine avilable to mankind! The pics on this post are GORGEOUS!! I love the East to West idea, btw..I have been considering this myself, but I wonder how this would look with a halo? hmmm...

My timeframe is more like the 6-9 month range, so I have time...I am just trying to make sure that I have all of my ducks in a row, and am set on what I want (although I think that it is impossible with amount of time I spend on this forum and all the fabo rings!!)...

Please keep me updated on your search, and meetings, and trip...I am SOOOO Excited for you!! I can''t wait until you start documenting the progress of your project, as i see sooo many parellels- except for the size of your rock- mine will be about 1 carat smaller (2-2.5) ...hence, the halo idea- I am all about the size!!!

Thank you for including me! I am glad someone was able to chime in, since I obviously flaked!!
38.gif
I am sorry, but glad you pointed this out to me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results