shape
carat
color
clarity

Period Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies,
I need some advice. I stopped taking the pill in May because I got tired of all the negative side effects. I had a 36 day cycle in June and July, but have yet to see a period since then. My last period was July 24th. Since I missed my period in August I have taken 5 hpt and 1 blood test last week Thursday which have all been negative. My doctor said to stop worrying that blood tests are pretty accurate, but I am paranoid. I have seen that show on TV "I didn''t know I was pregnant" & I am freaking out. I feel normal don''t have any symptoms just a late period and occasional cramps. My hubby and I use the withdrawal method.

Here''s my question how much can I rely on my negative tests? Has anyone else had the same problems after coming off the pill?

I have an annual exam on the 30th, but I am really losing sleep over this. I don''t want children right now and I am not sure if I do later on.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 7:31:17 PM
Author:pichuchy21
Hi Ladies,
I need some advice. I stopped taking the pill in May because I got tired of all the negative side effects. I had a 36 day cycle in June and July, but have yet to see a period since then. My last period was July 24th. Since I missed my period in August I have taken 5 hpt and 1 blood test last week Thursday which have all been negative. My doctor said to stop worrying that blood tests are pretty accurate, but I am paranoid. I have seen that show on TV ''I didn''t know I was pregnant'' & I am freaking out. I feel normal don''t have any symptoms just a late period and occasional cramps. My hubby and I use the withdrawal method.

Here''s my question how much can I rely on my negative tests? Has anyone else had the same problems after coming off the pill?

I have an annual exam on the 30th, but I am really losing sleep over this. I don''t want children right now and I am not sure if I do later on.
32.gif
Honey, if you haven''t gotten your period by next week, go into the doctor again. I''d put my money on +

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 7:34:08 PM
Author: Upgradable

Hi Ladies,

I need some advice. I stopped taking the pill in May because I got tired of all the negative side effects. I had a 36 day cycle in June and July, but have yet to see a period since then. My last period was July 24th. Since I missed my period in August I have taken 5 hpt and 1 blood test last week Thursday which have all been negative. My doctor said to stop worrying that blood tests are pretty accurate, but I am paranoid. I have seen that show on TV ''I didn''t know I was pregnant'' & I am freaking out. I feel normal don''t have any symptoms just a late period and occasional cramps. My hubby and I use the withdrawal method.

32.gif
Honey, if you haven''t gotten your period by next week, go into the doctor again. I''d put my money on +

I don''t know - some people can do this for years if they are careful. The blood tests are pretty dang accurate.

The pill can sometimes cause this. How long were you on it before you stopped taking it, pichuchy? I had a friend that went off the pill after being on it for 7 years, and it took her 9 months to get back on track on her own.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 7:50:47 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Date: 9/13/2009 7:34:08 PM

Hi Ladies,

32.gif

I don''t know - some people can do this for years if they are careful. The blood tests are pretty dang accurate.

The pill can sometimes cause this. How long were you on it before you stopped taking it, pichuchy? I had a friend that went off the pill after being on it for 7 years, and it took her 9 months to get back on track on her own.
I was on it for 8 years and had irregular periods which is why my doctor prescribed the pill to start off with. I hope its just off track and not that I am pregnant! My doctor won''t see me again till the 30th so I will have to wait till them. Plus my sex life is not too busy either so I really hope that my period is just late and nothing else.
7.gif
I took another home pregnancy test this morning too and that was negative as well. So thats 5 home etsts and 1 blood all negative.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Pee sticks can occasionally fool you. A negative blood test last Thurs means you were DEFINITELY not pregnant last Thurs, and are unlikely to be pregnant now.

That said, the withdrawal method is probably your next best way to get pg. Talk about playing Russian roulette. You can get pregnant even from the little droplet of semen at the tip when he''s all excited.

If you don''t want to use condoms or any other hormonal method of birth control, you''d be better off learning how to use the fertility awareness method to avoid pregnancy. Try reading Taking Control of Your Fertility (by Wechsler?), or check out http://www.justisse.ca/eBook.aspx . What can be used to help you get pregnant can also be used to avoid pregnancy. You just need to abstain or use condoms for the week or so of the month when you''re fertile.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 8:09:17 PM
Author: drk
Pee sticks can occasionally fool you. A negative blood test last Thurs means you were DEFINITELY not pregnant last Thurs, and are unlikely to be pregnant now.

That said, the withdrawal method is probably your next best way to get pg. Talk about playing Russian roulette. You can get pregnant even from the little droplet of semen at the tip when he''s all excited.

If you don''t want to use condoms or any other hormonal method of birth control, you''d be better off learning how to use the fertility awareness method to avoid pregnancy. Try reading Taking Control of Your Fertility (by Wechsler?), or check out http://www.justisse.ca/eBook.aspx . What can be used to help you get pregnant can also be used to avoid pregnancy. You just need to abstain or use condoms for the week or so of the month when you''re fertile.
No, not really. What it meant was that there was not a detectable level of hormone in your blood last Thursday. The most likely reason for this IS that there was no conception, and therefore no pregnancy. But there are situations that can give a false negative. Also, it is important to know whether this was a qualitative test (just a + or - result), which has a threshhold level of detectable hormone, or a quantitative test which would give you the amount of hormone present. Qualitative tests give the higher proportion of false negative tests but are the most commonly done.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
DRK-Thanks for the reply. I didn''t know withdrawal was so risky. I am going to most likely get back on the pill. Condoms we use occasionally, but they give me a rash so I stopped using it. Until my next appointment I will just use condoms just to be safe.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
If you had irregular periods then this is not terribly surprising! I don''t think you''re PG, but talk to your doctor - sometimes it just takes awhile for you to regulate. Try not to stress out too much, as this can sometimes make your period even later! Switch to condoms for a month or two until you are back on track. But seriously...if you don''t want to be PG, maybe never, you have to do SOMETHING to prevent it. Don''t just hope for the best, which is kind of what the withdrawal method would be for someone like you.
1.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Terrific! Then I feel pretty confident saying that it was a true negative.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but if you've "broken out" from condoms before you may have a latex allergy. Can you get latex free condoms?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 8:24:20 PM
Terrific! Then I feel pretty confident saying that it was a true negative.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but if you''ve ''broken out'' from condoms before you may have a latex allergy. Can you get latex free condoms?

Ditto this, after I saw your comment about the rash. You don''t want to just deal with a latex allergy - it can be dangerous! Look for lamb skin condoms. I think those are still available?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about trying Nuvaring? I''m not sure what kind of side effects the Pill was causing you, but maybe that would be an option for you? I''d sure want to try something other than withdrawl, especially if you''re not wanting kids right now.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all. I am going to stick to condoms till my appointment and then talk to my doctor about maybe trying another pill brand. My doctor thinks I''m a nut job who stresses about everything

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Monkey, I googled it, and they''re pretty available. Trojan supra happens to be one of the brands. I figured I''d been scary enough without mentioning potential anaphylactic shock associated with latex allergies!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
God bless Google!!! Nuvaring is non-latex and a terrific alternative to the pill!!!!

Again Pichu, if you''ve had a rash using condoms, DON''T use latex!!

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all I will go pick up some of the lamb skin ones tomorrow. I''ve never seen those but I am sure walmart has them. I will keep you posted.

cara

Ideal_Rock
What will be will be. Decide how often you will let yourself take HPTs and then try not to go crazy in between. You''ll get your period or a positive test soon enough, or it will be time to go back to the doctor. Meanwhile, get some of the lambskin condoms and think about a new b/c method for longer term.

Nuvaring is also hormonal b/c like the pill so it has the usual risk of side effects. But the drugs from each pill (or the ring) are a little different, so if you haven''t experimented around with different pills and ruled them all out maybe a different pill or the nuvaring is worth a try. I was on nuvaring and definitely liked the convenience factor, not having to remember each day and whatnot, but definitely had symptoms coming off it, and while on it (though they were mostly tolerable for me.) But it can take a few months to adapt to each drug formulation, and another few months to adapt off of one, so be sure to give any hormonal method enough time before ruling something out.

If I were really really really sure I didn''t want kids now or possibly ever, I would be on some method much more reliable and easier than withdraw or even condoms+FAM. I am using condoms+FAM now, and it requires a certain amount of diligence and notetaking, as well as we have reached a point in our life where a contraception failure would be an inconvenient but happy event so the risk is okay with us. Have you thought of an IUD? Otherwise I would try to find a hormonal method that works for your body because the failure rate is so low.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Cara-I haven''t looked into IUD but I think for me pill would be my best bet. When I was on it I was really good about taking it on time and never missing one and even then we still used the withdrawal. It''s just that my last three months on it I started having high blood pressure readings, and a few other annoying side effects. When I go in for my appt. I will see what other options are out there for me. But seriously this constantly buying tests and worrying about my missing period is driving me nuts and not worth it. I am just going to have to suck it up and deal with whatever side effects the pill brings.

cara

Ideal_Rock
High blood pressure sounds more serious than annoying as far as side effects go. If it really was the pill or the pill is contraindicated given your previous reaction then you'll have to find something else. Even Mirena IUD has a hormonal component, so you may be off those as well. I guess it depends what the doctors say. Condoms+FAM are pretty effective if you are superdiligent and regular, but if you are neither then its a big roll of the dice! Sounds like at least you are more diligent than me. I'd always forget a pill and then take two the next day and then be on pins and needles til the end of the month. But going forward, I'd want at least a little more than the withdraw odds
2.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 10:39:28 PM
Author: pichuchy21
Cara-I haven''t looked into IUD but I think for me pill would be my best bet. When I was on it I was really good about taking it on time and never missing one and even then we still used the withdrawal. It''s just that my last three months on it I started having high blood pressure readings, and a few other annoying side effects. When I go in for my appt. I will see what other options are out there for me. But seriously this constantly buying tests and worrying about my missing period is driving me nuts and not worth it. I am just going to have to suck it up and deal with whatever side effects the pill brings.

That just sounds dangerous, rather than inconvienent. I think you really need to research this more and find a method that works better for you than the pill - an IUD can be non-hormonal and easy to maintain. Did you ever really look into birth control options, or did you just go with the pill because it was suggested to you? If your doctor is not helping you, then you need to find a new one. Every response you make just makes me more worried about you.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
The pill was suggested to me by my doctor back when I was younger about 18 I wasn''t sexually active so I wasn''t looking into birth control, but he said it would control my irregular periods. They were really messed up it would come one month and then not come for months at a time. And the last time I came off the pill I had my period for 2 months straight! So I got back on the pill and had been on it till May of this year. What is FAM? I am not familiar with this term?

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
I also forgot to mention that another reason why the pill was prescribed is because I have a bleeding problem and when that time of the month would come it was too much, but once I got on the pill the bleeding wasn''t too bad. Sorry for the TMI.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 8:09:17 PM
Author: drk
FAM-fertility awareness method drk mentioned. Basically rhythm method made more accurate by using other signs (cervical mucus, basal body temperature, cervix position) to help pinpoint when a woman is fertile, and avoiding sex or using condoms during those times. But its a good method for couples with good diligence and self control, a woman with a regular cycle, and a couple for whom a birth control failure would not be a disaster. I''m not sure its the best method for you based on those last two traits!

Except you are having problems with other methods. Please go talk with a doctor about your options. If your doctor really thinks you are a nut job unnecessarily stressing yourself out (when you are weeks late for your period and have been using the withdraw method!!!) please do yourself a favor and go find another doctor. All us peanuts on the internet are concerned for you! This doc shouldn''t be blowing you off - you have reason to be concerned.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Hey Ladies wanted to drop in and give an update...I went to my primary doctor yesterday and once again had another blood test done along with some other blood work. My doctor whom I will not be going to anymore cause she always acts like I am crazy. She was almost refusing to do the bloodwork made me sign a waiver saying I will still pay for the test if my ins. turns down the claim. She said you are not pregnant just wait for your period to come it is normal to have delays when you get off the pill. That is fine with me as a matter of fact I am 99.9 % sure I am not pregnant I would feel something if I was, but I run other tests to see if I have cysts or anything else in my ovaries and she refused! I made an appointment today at a gyn doctor and will be going there at the end of Oct. for a full physical and probably to talk about getting on the pill again. I can''t deal with this craziness of not knowing when my period is going to come.

I was dx with cystic ovaries in the past so maybe that is whats going on now. So till I figure something out hubby and I are on condoms I picked up the lambskin ones at walmart. Thanks for all your help!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
pichuchy- I''m sorry that your doctor is making you feel as though she thinks you are crazy! However, as others have told you, it is very normal to have irregular periods when you stop birth control pills. Having a late period does not necessitate "other tests" at this point, IMO. And she is right about your insurance company being unhappy about being asked to pay for a repeat pregnancy test when you just had a negative. Her manner may have been poor, but the message was appropriate at this point.

It sounds like perhaps the pill might be the best option for you, since you have a hard time with unpredictible periods. However, I would do this under strict physician supervision, as high blood pressure is a serious problem.

Good luck! I hope you find a great doctor soon and a system that will work for you.

cara

Ideal_Rock
icekid, she needs a different doctor. if this one makes her feel crazy for being stressed out with having a late period when she was using WITHDRAW and then doesn't discuss any more reliable birth control methods with her, that doesn't bode well. She possibly has a latex allergy, she was having a potential serious symptom while on the pill, she needs to be taken seriously and have a conversation with her medical provider to find a safe and reliable from of birth control.

Maybe further test are not warranted, maybe they are, I don't know but it sounds like she has mentioned other more serious issues in her posts than just the irregularity, and she has been off birth control for awhile.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Please don''t rely on withdrawal as your only method of BC! It has a 27% failure rate with typical use...that''s a greater than 1 in 4 chance you will become pregnant over the course of a year. Not good odds for you. I think you should seriously consider an IUD; I have the Mirena IUD, and it''s fabulous! My periods have all but gone away (I spot for about a day). The hormones released from this IUD have only a local effect in the uterus; they don''t get into your bloodstream to affect the rest of your body. In fact, you still ovulate, but it''s still one of the most effective forms of BC, and it works for 5 years. The other IUD, called Paragard, is made of copper, is totally hormone-free, and stays in for up to 10 years. Some docs will not put an IUD in a woman who hasn''t had children, but there''s not really a good reason for this, and many OB/Gyns are realizing this and offering them to anyone without major risk factors for sexually transmitted infections. I for one have not had children.

This table lists the failure rates of contraceptive methods. Concentrate on the second column (typical use - NOBODY has perfect use). You want to see the smallest number possible. Aside from sterilization, the most effective contraceptives are the IUDs and a device called Implanon that is implanted under the skin of your arm and releases a progestin hormone (not estrogen). It works for 3 years and is similar to being on Depo.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Just checking in to see how you are doing Pichy. I''m sorry you felt as if your concerns were being dismissed by your doctor. I too strongly suggest, as soon as this situation resolves itself, you speak to your gyn about an appropriate bc for you. Medical factors need to be weighed against the emotional toll of going through a scare like this. Wishing you the best!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 9:15:22 PM
Author: cara
icekid, she needs a different doctor. if this one makes her feel crazy for being stressed out with having a late period when she was using WITHDRAW and then doesn''t discuss any more reliable birth control methods with her, that doesn''t bode well. She possibly has a latex allergy, she was having a potential serious symptom while on the pill, she needs to be taken seriously and have a conversation with her medical provider to find a safe and reliable from of birth control.

Maybe further test are not warranted, maybe they are, I don''t know but it sounds like she has mentioned other more serious issues in her posts than just the irregularity, and she has been off birth control for awhile.

Ditto, get to the bottom of it.

BTW, many people are interested to know that pre-ejaculate fluid contains a much higher concentration of sperm, so even though you are only getting small volumes of fluid before the big hurrah (by which time you expect him to be out), you can still get quite a few swimmers getting to their mark, and we all know that it only takes one! Wear a raincoat
2.gif

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Hey all sorry I hadn''t had a chance to write back been busy with work. Thanks for the chart...very helpful. Like I said in my last post we are back to using condoms (lambskin) till my gyn appointment. This apt. is with a new doctor. That doctor that I had been going to I won''t go to anymore! Not only did she act like I was crazy, but she asked me what the big deal was for my concerns and said that new research shows withdrawal method is more reliable than people thought! I have been doing a lot of research online about it and still can''t find any research saying that. Hopefully this new doctor is nicer and won''t mind me asking a lot of questions. Someone recommended him to me and said he''s really good. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results