shape
carat
color
clarity

I said goodbye to my Bogie today...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
He was twelve and a half years old, a shaggy mutt of inderminate origin. Sweet, silly, something of a clown, and part of my heart.

He''d been in failing health for the last few months...suspected lymphoma...but hanging in there pretty well until the last couple of days. Last night and this morning he very clearly let me know it was time to go.

I took him to the vet and held him in my arms while he went to sleep.

I know he was ready...but I guess I wasn''t. This is hard.

Thanks, PS, for having a place where I can write this.

Here''s his picture:

000_0437.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget I am so desperately sorry. I know you must be in terrible pain but you did the right thing for him. Hugs to you and thank you for posting his picture - he was a lovely dog and we are all here for you. It takes time to come to terms with , cry when you need to and know that he is safe and will still connect with you.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Widget, I''m so sorry to hear about your Bogie. I wanted to add this Rainbow Bridge poem...it helps me when I think of pets I''ve lost over the years.

"Just this side of Heaven is a place called The Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill or old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and look into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling to each other in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...."

author unknown

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Widget I''m so sorry for your loss.
7.gif
I lost a beloved pet years ago and can''t bring myself to get attatched to another one. It''s like loosing a part of yourself. As painful as it was to let him go it was the right thing to do. Seeing him in pain would have brought you more pain. He was a beautiful shaggy mutt.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a sweet face bogie has. i hope you will find peace in knowing that he is comfortable now and that you were there for him through it all. {{{{hugs}}}} to you.

mysympathies.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Widget, I''m so sorry. That''s the hardest part about having pets for me. My heart just breaks when they go to animal heaven. I even tear up just thinking about my Zoe and she''s only 5. I will send a prayer of comfort your way and know that you have wonderful memories to look back on. hugs from me too.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Widget ... I''m so sad for you! When I think about my childhood dog or my friends pets that have passed away I get comfort in the fact that they were so COMPLETELY loved & cherished their whole sweet lives and couldn''t possibly have had a better stay on earth. It''s so awful that the real gems in our lives (pets/friends/family) can''t be passed on to future generations ... but they do live in us, and our hearts, until we meet again. E-hug (but real tears!).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh widget my heart hurts for you....I can''t even imagine how sad you must feel right now. I am like MrsS in that I tear up thinking about losing Portia at some point in the hopefully far off future and she is only TWO years old. These soft loving creatures work their way so quickly and firmly into our hearts and it''s impossible to ever expel them. Hang in there and know that he''s at peace now and cherish the memories. Good luck gal.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh widget, I am so sorry to hear this. I know how sad you must be. What a precious pic. Hugs, Lisa

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Widget I''m so very sorry to read this. I can''t imagine how hard it was for you.
You''re in my thougthts and prayers.

*******(((((((( HUGS ))))))))*******

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Widget I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Our pets are definitely family members and when they go it leaves a hole in our hearts. You are a selfless "mom" to let him go when he needed to.

Heather

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Widget dear, we all are here for you, most of us went thru that pain at some point of our lives.
We know this will not go away completely ever, but remembering those first days - I feel your sorrow as my own.
It's a price we were willing to pay for a joy of having a pet, but when time comes we are bankrupts - it's just too much.

Irina

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Oh Widget, I''m soooo sorry
39.gif

You know we are all here for you.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
15.gif
You are a strong woman Widget. Your experience is one of my worst fears realized. It''s very difficult to go through what you went through even when you know you''re doing the right thing. My heart goes out to you. It''s something I think about, having a cat that''s 10 years old now. I don''t think I''d even survive the car ride. He''s in a better place now free of pain...romping around in heaven and also in your memories.
emrose.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Widget, I am so so sorry for you. You did a great thing for poor Bogie, and now he''s chasing squirrels in puppy heaven, I am sure. I am sorry for the loss, and it makes my heart hurt to think of what you must be feeling.
7.gif
Thank you for sharing your story with us, he was a beautiful dog.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
We all are different and when it comes to grief we are unique.
It may be not be for everyone but i was told that it''s possible to find a support group locally where you''ll never hear "after all, he was just a dog".

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Widget, I am so sorry for your loss. I pray for peace for your heart and those in your family. Please know that we care.

shay

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Widget, I''m so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a pet and how the loss of that unconditional love hurts. I''m sending you tons of virtual hugs during this sad time.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Widget, I''m so very sorry and know how you are feeling. Yesterday afternoon we had to have our sweet Shih Tzu, Chelsea, put to sleep. She would have been 15 in May. She had been fine until this past week and she was just failing and the vet believed she was in kidney failure. I held my sweet girl, too and just talked to her and told her to go see Dieter at the bridge, go and be free. After we lost our beloved schnauzer, Dieter, she became my constant companion and I just loved her dearly.

Someone said to me after we had to put Dieter to sleep that "You took on Dieter''s pain so he could finally be without pain". I could really relate to that and felt some comfort in it.

I was really grief stricken when I lost Dieter, probably because we don''t have children and we got him a year after we married. I found the most wonderful forum that you might want to visit
http://www.lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php

No matter the time you have with them, it''s just never enough.

I wish I could give you a big ((((hug))))
Love
Libby

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I am sooo sorry to hear of you loss Widget. As all must know here on Pscope, I am not a real..."animal" person. But when I was growing up we had the best little most amazing dog... ''Muffin''.. she was a good girl. We put her to sleep the year I grad. high school. she was ready to go. But my heart breaks thinking about it even now. I wish i could have her for a few more minutes to tell her that I was sorry that I had been such a selfish busy teenager.. and tell her I love her. But, I take comfort in knowing that she will be standing at the gates of heaven wagging her tail so fast that her body shakes and just excited cause she knows I loved her.

I know your baby wil be there for you too. My heart breaks for you, but rejoices cause she is running in feilds of green and eating her favorite treats and waiting for you.

*Hugs* *Hugs*

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Widget, I am so sorrysorrysorry to hear of Bogie''s passing. I know that this is an exceptionally hardsadawful time for you, but it will get better. I hope that you will have some comfort knowing that you did what was right for him and his little body, and you ended his pain. Please know that you are surrounded by supportive people and you can post whenever you want.

I wish you well,

Bridget

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry about your loss. My heart hurts just thinking about it. Please let us know if there''s anything we can do...
7.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 8:18:22 PM
Author: Libster
Oh Widget, I''m so very sorry and know how you are feeling. Yesterday afternoon we had to have our sweet Shih Tzu, Chelsea, put to sleep. She would have been 15 in May. She had been fine until this past week and she was just failing and the vet believed she was in kidney failure. I held my sweet girl, too and just talked to her and told her to go see Dieter at the bridge, go and be free. After we lost our beloved schnauzer, Dieter, she became my constant companion and I just loved her dearly.

Someone said to me after we had to put Dieter to sleep that ''You took on Dieter''s pain so he could finally be without pain''. I could really relate to that and felt some comfort in it.

I was really grief stricken when I lost Dieter, probably because we don''t have children and we got him a year after we married. I found the most wonderful forum that you might want to visit
http://www.lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php

No matter the time you have with them, it''s just never enough.

I wish I could give you a big ((((hug))))
Love
Libby
So sorry for your loss too Libby.

Heather

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
widget, I am so sorry for your loss. I''m glad that you got to at least say goodbye to Bogie and hold him in your arms. He was so adorable.

My first family dog, a toy poodle died last winter and I never got to say goodbye.
7.gif

Thank you for sharing, he was beautiful...mutt or not.
1.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
I am so, so sorry Widget.
No matter how long you''ve prepared yourself for the loss, it can neve be easy. Its never "just a pet". They''re a friend and confidant and so much more. Be sure that just as much happiness Bogie gave you, you also gave him, and take comfort in the fact he is no longer in pain. My thoughts are with you.

Libster, I''m also sorry you had to put your dog to sleep recently. I think that whom ever told you that you had to take on Dieters pain so he could be without, is right. Such a difficult and selfless decision. I''d love to keep my pets around for as long as possible, but there will come a day for each of our pets that we''ll have to say goodbye...deeply sorry for your loss.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lib I am so sorry to hear about your loss as well...I made sure to give Portia lots of hugs today in honor of both Bogie and Chelsea.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Widget and Libby,

((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))

I am so sorry for your losses. It''s so hard to loose a truly beloved pet. Though when the time comes, putting your pet to sleep is the compassionate and humane thing to do. My first pet, Al, a beloved and adventurous Siamese cat, unfortunately developed kidney disease.
I was a bad Mommy and kept him alive for months with no quality of life. My vet was VERY unscrupulous and kept telling me he could help Al through more treatments. I spent a fortune on vet care. I learned later that he was a real scammer.

But the lesson I learned is when the time comes, you have to do the right thing and put your pet to sleep. Though it does not make it any easier.

My sincerest condolences.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thank you EVERYONE for your kind kind words. They have truly been a comfort.

It means so much to hear from others who KNOW what this is like.

Libby...my thoughts are with you and Chelsea...

The incredible love and devotion and pure joy these precious friends give us make the pain we must endure with their inevitable departure worth it. I really believe this.

Sweet Bogie is at peace now, and I know that soon I will be too.

Again...THANK YOU.
emlove.gif

widget

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Widget and Libster.......tonight, my heart absolutely breaks for you both. It''s just not fair to lose something we love so much.

It just seems like there''s NEVER enough time with them. I lost my first dog just before her 4th birthday, and I thought "maybe it wouldn''t hurt so much if I didn''t feel cheated of the years we should have had together." My next dog lived to 11, and I thought "I feel cheated because I didn''t get MORE time with her."

No matter what, you just feel cheated and abandoned.......left with a hole in your heart that feels like it will never close.

I''m SO SO sorry for your losses. It sounds so hollow to think they are someplace better - how could any place be more comforting to them than here with us?

I know this pain personally, and I would not wish it on anyone. My fervent wish for you is the understanding and support of those around you who realize just how important these little loves were to you. I know how painfully quiet the house seems, and how we marvel at how such little creatures could leave such a big hole.

How lucky these animals were to be loved by you, to be cared for and card about by you, and to be missed so much. I''m deeply sorry for the pain you''re feeling, and I hope it eases soon. Let us know what we can do to help you get through, if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results