shape
carat
color
clarity

Bonnie doggy hospitalized

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
I decided to share Bonnie’s story to warn pet owners...
This is largely a male dog problem but the results can be life threatening uremic poisoning.

Bonnie was not well for a while - I visited the vet 5 times before they finally decided to run X-rays after I insisted that there''s something terribly wrong. The vet said that he had a sensitive stomach and we treated him for that for 6 months. Finally, we went to the emergency office on a Saturday – they had to submit him because he was dehydrated and obviously in a lot of pain. In the end the X-rays showed bladder & urethra stones that could not be flushed. Our baby had to have surgery! The surgery cost us an arm and a leg...he was in hospital for 4 days and the overnight stays and treatment added up to $5000 CAD. Which we gladly paid...but it was difficult.

I was so upset cried and cried - could not sleep... My friends think I''m nuts for doting over Bonsie. He''s so much better now and I''m so glad that we challenged our vet’s first diagnostics.

The vet told me that stone formation is coupled with dietary issues, which makes me so mad that pet food companies are allowed sell food that could harm your pet. He ate Royal Canine for Yorkshire terriers for years. You would think that it would be a good brand of food for our Yorkie since it was designed for Yorkshire Terriers...I''m so mad! Shame the vet said that Bonnie had terrible pain for a long time and that he tolerated a lot since humans would not be able to outlast the pain for as long as he did. The stones were big and very pointy. He''s also on a new diet. Special food for urinary problems. So he''s not allowed to eat any Yorkie food accept for the food the vet provides.

To all the doggy owners out there...please make sure that your doggie’s pet food does not contain a lot of calcium - it can cause Calcium oxalate stones. Ask your vet for details and question the brand of food you currently feed your pet.

Breeds at especially high risk include: miniature schnauzers, lhasa apsos, Yorkshire terriers, miniature poodles, shih tzus, and bichon frises
Most cases occur in dogs between ages 5 and 12 years of age

I found the following information online...

THE FOLLOWING THERAPEUTIC PLAN HAS BEEN DEVISED TO MINIMIZE THE CHANCE OF RECURRANCE:

STEP ONE: DIET

While special diets cannot dissolve existing stones, they do help prevent the development of new stones. Prevention centers on creating a urinary environment with minimal calcium and minimal oxalate as well as creating a urine pH that is not conducive to calcium oxalate formation.

The usual diets recommended include:

* Hills K/D diet
* Hills U/D diet
* Select Care Modified diet
* CNM NF from Purina
* Waltham’s Low Protein Diet
Your vet may carry a different prescription diet...

For each of the above diets, the canned form is preferable to dry so as to increase water consumption and thus help dilute the urine. It is especially important to avoid table scraps when caring for an oxalate stone forming dog. Still, no one wants their dog to live life without treats. The following treats are acceptable for oxalate stone forming dogs: plain cooked chicken, plain cooked turkey, eggs, rice, peas, and pasta.

Many pet owners ask if any non-prescription diets are appropriate for this condition. None are.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
The nurse thought he was a little girl - hence the girl name Bonnie! - so they gave him a pink bandaid with a little green clover leaf....so cute!!!

Bonhospital.jpg

ello

Brilliant_Rock
I did not know that muzzles could come in his size...so cute!!!

Bonmuzzle.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww poor doggie woggy :{

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh ries i am so sorry to hear what you and dear bonnie have gone through!!! i'm happy to hear that he is doing well after his surgery, what a scary ordeal!

unfortunately our little darlings can't speak to us, it's so hard to guess sometimes what could be going on. dogs have a much higher tolerance level for pain than humans do, i read in a dog book that it was because when you show pain or similar that the 'pack' animals will think you are weak and turn on you. well obviously that's not the case in a life like our dogs, but i think it's just bred into them to be so stoic and tolerant.

i'm such an anal person when it comes to portia, even things like food, i did alot of research on the best types of food with most natural products and the special oils for skin and coat, most beneficial and useful ingredients, etc. i will be sure to check for extra calcium, but the dog food we give her was in the top 10 of the whole dog journal..i would not feed her anything from the grocery store like purina or whatever the other mainstream brands are...i think that every owner should be aware of what they put into their dog's system. but even then we're not vets so it's hard to know for sure that what you are doing is right (and even vets don't agree on right vs wrong anyway so it's still sometimes hit or miss!).

anyway hope he recovers quickly and that you guys have a stone-free continued existence! give him lots of hugs and kisses!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry for you and Bonnie!

What a very brave fella!

Yes, calcium oxalate is a natural occuring culprit to many urinary stones, which sometimes end up as bladder stones too! Both poochies and humans alike can make kidney and bladder stones from oxalate acid.

Things that are very high in oxalate acid are: Spinach, coffee, tea, strawberries, oranges, black pepper, chocolate, there are so many healthy items in our dietary consumption that is high in oxalates. These are just a few that I can think of right now ... just tired and slow tonight. I used to have a diet that listed foods that were in three catagories; High ... Medium ... and low. I just remember the ones that make my sides hurt if I eat too much at one time.

I don''t know if it would work for poochies or not, but one of the latest reasearch states that humans who develop kidney / bladder stones on a regular basis, should each day drink 4 oz of lemon juice. You may dilute this with water, add sugar to make lemonade, ... helps stop new ones from forming .... slowing down the process.

Also, I don''t know with poochies, but with humans with calcium oxalte stone formation, should not decrease their calcium intake ... the risk of loosing too much calcium from the bone is high (Osteoporossis)!

I feel for Bonnie ... I know what it''s like to have these myself ... Yuck ... Yuck ... Yuck. But at least I can take something for the pain, where as he has suffered in silence for so long ... give him a big smoochie from me!
28.gif

Take care, and keep us posted with his recovery.
35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2006 2:22:13 AM
Author: Ries
little darling!
Oh he is sooo sweet! Just want to cuddle!
Love the lil'' jammies too!

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mara,

I''m so glad you feel the same way as me...I know how much you adore Portia. It''s good to get pet insurance while they are young - unfortunately Bonnie is 8 years old so they will not cover his health bills - especially since he already had hip surgery when he was 2yrs old. I''m amazed at his courage for such a little dog! It was a crazy ordeal...It made me realize that motherhood might have to wait for a while. Sleeping 3 hours off and on making sure he''s not in pain - or dehydrated while working every day was very hard. I''m allowed to bring him to work which is great. We even dismantled our bed so that he will not jump down...

Any-who...I''m happy to say that he''s much better. He''s got a devils attitude. I told the doc. that they removed his manners as well! ha haha!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Ries, this hits a bit close to home, but I am so happy they were able to help your baby. Thank goodness you were insistant that something was seriously wrong with him. Sounds like Bonnie came through it like a champ and I wish him a very speedy recovery and you a good nights sleep!!! He will be home before you know it! Best wishes to you all and snuggles for Bonnie.

LOVE those jammies!
30.gif
30.gif

ello

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are so sweet. Thank you Mrs Darlin for your kind words and the information. I''ll look into it as well as I would not like to develop bladder or kidney stones myself.

Thank you everyone! Bonnie loves you!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe i know what you mean about getting a taste of motherhood, when P was sick about a month and a half ago with a horrible stomach illness (we think she ate something in the field maybe...i have no idea what it could have been)...i slept downstairs with her on the couch, and got up every 2 hours to take her out or else she'd have an accident on the floor. she still had a few accidents but MAN i was sleep deprived and still having to function the next day, and thought omg this is what it's like when you have to get up and feed the baby !! trips to the vet, antibiotics that gave her an all over body rash with huge lumps under her skin (that was scary), a pill to stop her from going so much poo that stopped her up totally for 3 days straight. it was kind of harrowing, but it all worked out in the end and hopefully it made her body stronger to have to battle something like that. she also has a sensitive stomach so i only give her a handful of things in general (about 4-5 various treats/foods that she doesn't have a problem with and have all the nutrients etc) and we try not to deviate from the plan because that is when bad stuff happens! i hate when she goes to my mother's and she feeds her things like eggs (which can make her sick) and totally stuffs her with treats.
20.gif
i guess we know who is going to be the spoiler of future grandchildren!

i just told greg about bonnie and he was like 'oh wow $5k would we pay that for portia' and 'i was like 'YES!!!' and he goes 'i know! of course we would! i was just kidding!' MEN!
20.gif

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Since we had to pay so much money in one week we''ll have to delay our diamond purchase for a while...which makes me sad (I''ve been waiting for 3.5 years) but when I look at Bonnie I think he''s my million dollar baby and that it''s totally fine. My Boyfriend said we should polish the stones they removed - it might outshine a H&A! ha ha ha
I feel a bit bummed that the diamond I had my heart set on might be gone in 3 months time....We''re about $6000 short...
Do you guys know if WF will keep a diamond for a while if you give them part of the amount to reserve the stone? Just curious...

ello

Brilliant_Rock
OH my goodness Mara - Poor little Portia. I so feel for you!!!! I think you will be a great mother when time comes. You are so nurturing. I''m glad to hear that Portia survived the ordeal. I often think about pet owners that NEVER take their pets to the vet or leave them outside in the winter...when I see puppy mills on the news I totally want to adopt all of them...

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mara,

Funny you should say that - so many people told me..."I would never pay that for a dog" Then I just roll my eyes and say whatever...can you imagine killing a dog if he has a chance...grrrrr...it makes me mad.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you for sharing your story so that other human companions of dogs can be alert to this problem.

i''m so glad your baby is recovering!

movie zombie

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the thoughtful message. Bonsie & I appreciate it!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
give bonsie some pets from me and my cats, please.

movie zombie

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Awe I'm really sorry that Bonnie had to go through that but it's good to hear he's doing better. The picture which the cone on his head made me laugh. Those cones are silly.

Just wanted to add (although this might have already been mentioned) that this isn't just a dog problem, male cats also have can get a similar problem. About 8 years ago, my mom found my cat, Bartholomew, sitting in his cat liter. Anyone, who has cats will know that this is just odd behavior, cats are usually pretty clean and particular so you'd never just find them hanging out in their cat liter (or 'sh*tter' which what I call it). When I went to pick him up he growled and hissed at me, even more odd for him. We got him to the vet, at first she thought he had cyrstals in his urine and it clogged his bladder to where he couldn't pee. She drained his bladder and then realized he had a stone.....to make a long story short, we ended up having to put him down.
7.gif

I'm glad to hear you that Bonnie was able to be fixed.
1.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope all will be well with the little guy from now on.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh goodness me! Sorry for all the troubles...I love the picture of B in his blue jammies!!!

cheers--Sharon

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Money well spent for a full recovery. Glad to see he''s on the mend. These creatures never cease to amaze me. I think we can all learn from our dogs. Big slobbery kiss his way!
18.gif

Another thing that may help is to soak the food for about 10 minutes in water. It aids in digestion & gives the dog unconcious water intake. Make sure he relieves himself to the fullest. Male dogs hold their urine so that they can leave as many p-mails as possible for another dog to read. So try to encourage a lengthly pee w/ praise while he is going.

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Oh Ries, I''m so sorry!!! But I''m so glad that Bonnie is finally not in pain and doing well!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
great suggestion on the water in the food F&I...i actually put portia''s kibble in water and then feed it to her, she loves the flavored juice water from the kibble and i know it''s a way to ensure she gets enough water, sometimes we think her drinking methods are not quite as ''effective'' as they could be, one full minute spent slurping away at the water bowl and only like 1/8 of the water is gone.
20.gif

awww ries i am so sorry to hear that you have to wait on your ring and stone now, but hopefully when you guys are ready soon, there will be another fabulous stone waiting for you! also keep in mind that many times the larger stones in the 2.7c range or similar do not move quite as fast as smaller stones, so you MAY be lucky with waiting and finding the stone there. WF doesn''t have a layaway policy or anything but i would ats least ask! call JQ or something. send them a picture of Bonnie too!
11.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh poor baby. My Callie has had surgery for bladder stones too. I use Royal Cannnin Persciption dog food that is delivered to my house. So far she hasn''t made any more bladder stones. Oh I know what you are going through. {{{{ BIG HUGS REIS}}}}}

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ries, I share your pain. This isn't only for male pets, and isn't only for dogs!!!

My female cat Chloe, years ago, was crying a lot, went in and out of the vet for MONTHS...with UTIs, and bacterial infections....and during that time she withered down to 4 pounds. FOUR. Talk about skeletal. I was scared to death. Nobody knew what the real cause was. They finally did a scan and saw big ole kidney stones. She had to have surgery. They were calcium oxylate. Very big and spiny. The good news is she fully recovered. This was about 5 years ago. It was hard for me at the time - I was in grad school and just receiving a financial stipend - barely enough for me to live on. Her surgery cost more than one month's rent for me. I had it done because I couldn't put a price on my beloved pet's head like that, but I ate Ramen for a long time.

She now has to get specially formulated food (I think it's Hills XD formerly known as Hills CD-O) that specifically prevents the formation of these stones. It ain't cheap, and I buy her the dry stuff and also canned, but she's footloose and fancy free these days. Those days of pain and near death are long gone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2006 10:42:54 AM
Author: fire&ice
many p-mails as possible for another dog to read. .
Your turn for the brilliant word today F&I !
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
lOVE IT - p - mails, I will have to remember that one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results