shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your signature stone?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a favorite type and color of gemstone? Not just sapphire in a variety of colors, but specific type and color?

I'm a ruby girl. Expensive taste, empty wallet.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds in natural pure Red, Green and Blue please. :love:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I'm head over heels for your green european cut diamond! Have never seen a more beautiful stone! :love:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:oops: Aww shucks. Thanks.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a sucker for pink-red spinels and blue-green tourms. I would add violet-blue sapphire or spinel to those but haven't found the perfect one within my budget. Old cut diamonds of any colour. Never seen a green one before, though - off to check THAT out!!!

Some of my favourite stones that I own, though, fall outside of these - two mint garnets and a rubellite. But similar colour scheme.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue spinels.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if I have a signature stone but I'm very drawn to garnets ( all colors ).

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds, dark blue sapphires, and dark red garnets.

I don't own a spinel, but they are definitely on my list! Never heard of them until I came to PS.

My husband said he's going to block PS so I'll stop getting ideas. :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds and pink/red spinels. I think certain gemstones "call" to you. I think I could have bought a great ruby for all I have spent on spinels. But I never buy rubies.......I just buy spinels.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
This is SUCH a fun question.

Starting out, I would have said garnet. But I've now purchased 5 and only loved 1 of them (Gene's). I feel they are so easy to misrepresent in photos and often come out darker than you might think. Or at least, it's been a problem for my novice eyes.

I'm tempted to say sapphire because its my birthstone, but I'm not partial to any particular color or type.

In truth, for reason, I seem to be the most obsessed with pink/red stones. I own three pink rings, have 2 in the works, and am currently dreaming of an oval rubellite tourmaline.... yum.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires, pink and blue.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Blue, green, and yellow stones of all shapes and types (species?). I admire all the orange, red, peach and pink stones on CS, but can't wear those colors -- too much ruddiness in my skin. :knockout: So I live vicariously though all of you!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green garnets. If I had the budget, I'd buy them ALL. They're just so... green. gah that is the most obvious thing to say about them but it's why I like them. Emeralds are a different kind of green, and while I can definitely appreciate it, and would love to own a fine emerald someday, green garnets just seem so vivacious in comparison. I dunno. There's something about them that makes them so that I like every single one that I see, no matter what is right or wrong with it. No matter the color, the cut, or the inclusions. With almost anything else, I can find reasons to reject stones, but when faced with a green garnet my brain just dies and goes into Prettyville, where everything is green and sparkly. I can see myself in fifty years living like a dragon, surrounding myself with piles and piles of green gems.

(I do also adore blue sapphires, but when faced with a poor quality blue sapphire or a poor quality green garnet, I find the garnet more attractive, and that's why I picked that. And of course if I could only pick one stone in the world to have, it would be my engagement ring sapphire, because something about it just really spoke to me the first time I saw it and it hasn't yet stopped speaking to me. Metaphorically, not literally. I do not think my rock literally talks.)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol distracts. I think a good few of us probably talk to our stones, but I don't think any of us will admit to it...

"Now stay there and don't move. We need to get good pictures for Pricescope."

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
Orange gems would be the first choose of mine. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red spinel - vivid, pure red hue and with a medium dark tone, basically the perfect holy grail red spinel. :halo: Doesn't mean I don't like looking at other spinels but a pure red tugs something deep within me. I love cobalt blues too but red wins every time.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue sapphires all the way! :cheeky:

ETA: although the right color tanzanite also hits that sweet spot

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Med green emeralds or tsavs and blue sapphires (think DB's lovely leon) that is a medium color with a slight purble undertone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a particular colour purple that I can't EVER walk away from. EVER. It's the holy grail of colours for me!

Apart from that, I'm like a magpie and gravitate towards most vivid gemstones, colour changers and anything with strong fluorescence (in any species). Interestingly, all of the stones that I've had an unexpected "OMG" moment have all turned out to have strong fluor.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1358228330|3355819 said:
Green garnets. If I had the budget, I'd buy them ALL. They're just so... green. gah that is the most obvious thing to say about them but it's why I like them. Emeralds are a different kind of green, and while I can definitely appreciate it, and would love to own a fine emerald someday, green garnets just seem so vivacious in comparison. I dunno. There's something about them that makes them so that I like every single one that I see, no matter what is right or wrong with it. No matter the color, the cut, or the inclusions. With almost anything else, I can find reasons to reject stones, but when faced with a green garnet my brain just dies and goes into Prettyville, where everything is green and sparkly. I can see myself in fifty years living like a dragon, surrounding myself with piles and piles of green gems.

(I do also adore blue sapphires, but when faced with a poor quality blue sapphire or a poor quality green garnet, I find the garnet more attractive, and that's why I picked that. And of course if I could only pick one stone in the world to have, it would be my engagement ring sapphire, because something about it just really spoke to me the first time I saw it and it hasn't yet stopped speaking to me. Metaphorically, not literally. I do not think my rock literally talks.)

This is the sweetest love letter to gemstones, ever! distracts, I loved this!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like yellows. Not so much neon yellows, more buttery yellows. And greens. I miss the green barry I sold.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
LD said:
I have a particular colour purple that I can't EVER walk away from. EVER. It's the holy grail of colours for me!

Apart from that, I'm like a magpie and gravitate towards most vivid gemstones, colour changers and anything with strong fluorescence (in any species). Interestingly, all of the stones that I've had an unexpected "OMG" moment have all turned out to have strong fluor.
LD could you share an example of your favorite purple stone? I'd love to see the shade you covet.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm an Australian Parti-sapphire girl at heart. I also really love rubies/red spinel but keep coming back to those beautiful (& cheap!) blue/yellow/green sapphires - each one is completely unique and mostly untreated too! :love:

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Easy for the amguy who has a cornucopia of signature stones

~Gem silica
Hard to beat that paraiba blue

~Welo crystal opal especially when faceted.
"There are worlds in an opal."-Astrid Alauda."

The rare vivid blue spinel from Luc yen///the "jedi" spinel. Harriet has one

422671_3196011144965_1562744574_n.jpg

420679_10150686831929579_703634578_11255145_502111571_n_1_.jpg

309499_122493044522535_1507681148_n.jpg

_3080.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
and you can't beat the best blue in the gem and mineral worlds.....kashmir sapphire of the finest, most vivid color, won't come close to hauyne and it's neon blue

The soft subtle color of a good rhodochrosite

and of course the great paraiba blue

my last one is not a color or stone but an animal...this dog is so damn cute I figured i would toss ole Boo back into the mix

532761_236291433142695_64257046_n.jpg

406890_170527689719070_903022054_n.jpg

heitor_paraiba_a.jpg

boo-the-worlds-cutest-dog_1_.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Jason - your post represents EXACTLY what I love (including Boo who's the cutest dog in the whole world)!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barrett,
If you had to pare down to one (signature stone is singular :tongue: ), which would be the one for you? It's difficult but you don't have a choice. :devil:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I obviously don't have one favorite color or type of stone as you can tell by looking in my jewelry or gem box.

I seem to want "one of each", however, the color of a perfect paraiba tourmaline(which of course I don't have) would probably be my favorite color (both in gemstones and that color in general). As far as my favorite stone that I currently own, it would have to be my red Mahenge spinel. I'm with Chono in that there is nothing quite like it. Red is certainly not my favorite color on it's own, as I gravitate toward fuchsia/purple tones (not light pink) and green/turquoise/aqua colors, but a perfect red spinel, is well, perfect - lol.

The sad thing about them is they almost never look as good in a picture as they do in real life.

If I could afford "really nice ones" I'd have sapphires and spinels in every color, but alas, that's never going to happen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results