shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite - calling Harriet, Pandora and other tsav lovers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've found this GORGEOUS GORGEOUS tsav on Richard Homer's website (thanks to SimplysSplendid and Chrono for pointing me to this direction). Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to post the link. Anyway, it's only 2.36ct (8.9mmx7.8mm) and yet the asking price is over $5k!
6.gif

Does that price sound right to you tsav experts?

And may I ask you, Harriet and Pandora, which vendors did you use for yr BEAUTIFUL tsav's?

Btw, I think tsav's are MUCH MORE beautiful than emerald (no offence to emerald-owners, it's just that the luscious green of tsav's really appeals to me!
30.gif
30.gif
).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The colour of that stone is exceptional in addition to the fine cutting. Part of the price is due to the famed cutting of Richard Homer as well. If you take that into consideration, then it is not an unreasonable price to pay. If you don’t need the fancy cutting, you can get something of similar colour for less.

Harriet purchased her 2 tsavorites from a dealer that cannot be mentioned for personal reasons. Pandora purchased hers from Wink. I’m not sure if he found it on Palagems. Mine is from www.swalagemtraders.com

My tsavorite pictures can be found here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/10k-picture-celebration.123267/page-4
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chronos-guess-the-stone-game.113313/page-4 (middle of the page)

6290TsavRH.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I was admiring that same tsavorite just a few hours ago, although not with any intention of buying it. Whenever I see that concave cut, it always reminds me of the pith of a citrus fruit cut in half. but add that I''ve never ''experienced'' one IRL and in motion which of course makes all the difference and I''m sure that if I did I would probably completely change my opinion. I do very much like the look of it on that tsavorite though, it''s a beauty and would love to have it myself.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 1:25:09 PM
Author: Chrono

Harriet purchased her 2 tsavorites from a dealer that cannot be mentioned for personal reasons.

Thanks, Chrono. Hugs.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 11:08:42 AM
Author:Phoenix
I''ve found this GORGEOUS GORGEOUS tsav on Richard Homer''s website (thanks to SimplysSplendid and Chrono for pointing me to this direction). Unfortunately I don''t seem to be able to post the link. Anyway, it''s only 2.36ct (8.9mmx7.8mm) and yet the asking price is over $5k!
6.gif

And may I ask you, Harriet and Pandora, which vendors did you use for yr BEAUTIFUL tsav''s?

Btw, I think tsav''s are MUCH MORE beautiful than emerald (no offence to emerald-owners, it''s just that the luscious green of tsav''s really appeals to me!
30.gif
30.gif
).
Lien,
Tsavorites over 2cts are rare. I wouldn''t preface "2.36ct" with "only." It''s nice to have another Tsavorite lover, but I happen to love emeralds too. They"re different beasts.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think the color + cutting + >2ct weight bring the price up so high.

I was just looking at this one today. It is just under the 2ct mark, seems to have a small window, but the color is nice (from what I can tell). It 1/5 the price. But it is a very different look, and it is hard to find a stone with a great combo of color, size, and Richard Homer cutting.

Tsav to compare

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Price sounds about right to me!

My stone is from Palagems via Wink.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 1:25:09 PM

The colour of that stone is exceptional in addition to the fine cutting. Part of the price is due to the famed cutting of Richard Homer as well. If you take that into consideration, then it is not an unreasonable price to pay. If you don’t need the fancy cutting, you can get something of similar colour for less.

Harriet purchased her 2 tsavorites from a dealer that cannot be mentioned for personal reasons. Pandora purchased hers from Wink. I’m not sure if he found it on Palagems. Mine is from www.swalagemtraders.com

My tsavorite pictures can be found here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/10k-picture-celebration.123267/page-4
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chronos-guess-the-stone-game.113313/page-4 (middle of the page)
Thank you, Chrono.

I''d LURVE to get that tsav but I''m on a bit of a self-imposed (oh ok, hubby-imposed if I was to be totally honest!
7.gif
) spending moratorium!!
7.gif

I think I might just get something a little less expensive for the time being, perhaps a tanzanite or a garnet or a spinel or a zircon. I''d like to ask you, which of those is the hardest? The jeweller that SS recommended gave me quite a good price on setting a gemstone but she warned that tanzanite is too soft and they won''t take any responsibility if the stone broke!!
6.gif

LOVE yr tsav''s btw. You have such an AMAZING gemstone collection too.
27.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 3:21:25 PM
Author: klewis
I was admiring that same tsavorite just a few hours ago, although not with any intention of buying it. Whenever I see that concave cut, it always reminds me of the pith of a citrus fruit cut in half. but add that I''ve never ''experienced'' one IRL and in motion which of course makes all the difference and I''m sure that if I did I would probably completely change my opinion. I do very much like the look of it on that tsavorite though, it''s a beauty and would love to have it myself.
Isn''t it a beauty?!!!
30.gif
30.gif

I think I''ll get something from Richard Homer eventually!!
2.gif
11.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, a tanzanite is too soft. Not only that, it has perfect cleavage (might split the stone clean into 2 pieces) and also sensitivity to thermal shock. I’ve read that the temperature change of the hot jewellery lights against the cool glass countertop in a jewellery store can be enough to cause fine fractures in a tanzanite!

23.gif

A zircon is also rather soft. A garnet is next up in terms of wearibility and a spinel is at the toughest of your 3 options.

ETA
Thanks for looking and complimenting my collection.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go garnet or spinel, depending on what colors and sizes you're looking for. I recently bought a little tsav from Barry at ACS, still need to pick a home for her, but I'm already starting to be a fan of the tsavorite even though I've never been a big fan of green.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix, while it''s not concave, it''s lovely nonetheless, and large too, 3.6 cts. You will find it on Lisa Elser''s site

Lisa Elser Tsavorite.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to add that Lisa offers 25% discount for PS''ers. My tourmaline originated from Lisa so I can vouch for the quality of her goods.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 8:48:47 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Keeping in mind that you''re buying the stone from a consistent award winning gemstone cutter with an international reputation, the price starts to make sense.
Thanks for that, Richard.

I didn''t know that about Richard Homer, wow!!

This stone is def on my wish-list!
18.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 11:01:09 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 8/25/2009 11:08:42 AM
Author:Phoenix
I''ve found this GORGEOUS GORGEOUS tsav on Richard Homer''s website (thanks to SimplysSplendid and Chrono for pointing me to this direction). Unfortunately I don''t seem to be able to post the link. Anyway, it''s only 2.36ct (8.9mmx7.8mm) and yet the asking price is over $5k!
6.gif

And may I ask you, Harriet and Pandora, which vendors did you use for yr BEAUTIFUL tsav''s?

Btw, I think tsav''s are MUCH MORE beautiful than emerald (no offence to emerald-owners, it''s just that the luscious green of tsav''s really appeals to me!
30.gif
30.gif
).
Lien,
Tsavorites over 2cts are rare. I wouldn''t preface ''2.36ct'' with ''only.'' It''s nice to have another Tsavorite lover, but I happen to love emeralds too. They''re different beasts.
Thanks for correcting me, Harriet!
1.gif
I''m certainly an ignoramus when it comes to gemstones!
3.gif

I think some people do really carry off emeralds very well. On me, they just look washed out, unfortunately or fortunately depending on which view-point one takes!! (I think my DH takes the latter view-point, cos emeralds can really burn a hole in one''s pocket!
4.gif
).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 6:53:55 AM
Author: Pandora II
Price sounds about right to me!

My stone is from Palagems via Wink.
Thanks, Pandora. I''ll search on that website and / or contact Wink.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 9:57:29 AM

Yes, a tanzanite is too soft. Not only that, it has perfect cleavage (might split the stone clean into 2 pieces) and also sensitivity to thermal shock. I’ve read that the temperature change of the hot jewellery lights against the cool glass countertop in a jewellery store can be enough to cause fine fractures in a tanzanite!

23.gif

A zircon is also rather soft. A garnet is next up in terms of wearibility and a spinel is at the toughest of your 3 options.

ETA
Thanks for looking and complimenting my collection.
Yikes!! Never knew any of this!! Oh that''s just too bad, cos I like tanzanites and thought that they offer a budget-friendly (relatively speaking) alternative to sapphires!!

Oh well, the search continues!!
5.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 6:54:44 PM
Author: Gailey
I forgot to add that Lisa offers 25% discount for PS'ers. My tourmaline originated from Lisa so I can vouch for the quality of her goods.
Thanks so much, Gailey. I'll check out that website.

That stone is certainly gorgeous!!
30.gif

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Try Chrome Spinel for a sapphire alternative. This is from the rough I bought in Madagascar and looks very much like a sapphire. It''s 6.81mm and 1.3cts.

Spin-G-Tril-0785_thumb.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lesler
That’s a very lovely variety of picotite; those that I’ve seen are yellowish or greenish brown. It looks more like a cobalt spinel to me.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My bad - that''s what I get for typing without enough caffine. It is a Cobalt Spinel.

Now back to the coffee pot.
5.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a gorgeous looking cobalt.
30.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 9:20:15 AM
Author: Phoenix

Date: 8/25/2009 11:01:09 PM
Author: Harriet

Lien,
Tsavorites over 2cts are rare. I wouldn''t preface ''2.36ct'' with ''only.'' It''s nice to have another Tsavorite lover, but I happen to love emeralds too. They''re different beasts.
Thanks for correcting me, Harriet!
1.gif
I''m certainly an ignoramus when it comes to gemstones!
3.gif

I think some people do really carry off emeralds very well. On me, they just look washed out, unfortunately or fortunately depending on which view-point one takes!! (I think my DH takes the latter view-point, cos emeralds can really burn a hole in one''s pocket!
4.gif
).
No worries. We all have to start somewhere. Maybe you''ve been trying the ''wrong'' emeralds.
2.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I was just at my jeweler yesterday getting my sapphire ring repared (a story I will have to tell later) and he was waring a very large emarld cab men''s ring. After seeing one here recently, I really liked them, now after seeing one in person, I am in
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results