shape
carat
color
clarity

Think I found my chrysoberyl!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one from GB on FW. It's reserved for me, and he is providing a video tomorrow. The comments indicate it is yellow with no brown or green, which is what I wanted (light to medium tone straight yellow). But I feel like I do see brown or green in the pics. I asked Gary to provide his comments in that regard from his in person observation.

Specs: 2.00 ct, 8.4 x 6.0 x 5.6mm, IF clarity.

This is a bit more than I wanted to spend, but feel like the size and clarity, coupled with the challenge of finding one that is yellow only makes it worth the price tag. Might you agree? This would be my first chryso so please, chime in with thoughts/observations. How true to pics are his gems generally in terms of color?

Thanks much in advance! :wavey:

_25614.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you make sure he posts photos or his video with a neutral lighter background?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good idea, TL! I bet that is why I am seeing the darker areas ... that background.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1419823931|3808956 said:
Good idea, TL! I bet that is why I am seeing the darker areas ... that background.

Well, the reason you also shouldn't look at a stone against a dark background is that it amplifies saturation to the eye. You will be able to more properly evaluate the color against a light grey or whiter background. :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much TL! I have emailed Gary with that request for additional pics/video. If it ends up being lighter, I am fine with that. I really want as close to a sparkly, sunshiney yellow. Some brown would be ok, but the more yellow (anywhere light to medium) will be fantastic. I just don't want any green.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thanks Marlow. That is a bit of a price difference. :think: I will see what the additional pics & video reveal tomorrow before I decide for sure on it.

What are your thoughts on the FW stone cut? It looks lovely to me, but I don't have the best eye for that.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Overpriced - you get many qualities like this. Nothing special....

Take both and return the one you don't like. I am sure that there is no 300$ difference! Geniune chrysoberyl is still a cheap stone.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow - the one you posted looks more greenish to me than the finewater stone. How accurate are that vendors photos & description (if you know/have experience with him)? It says "yellow" but they all say that. I definitely don't wat it greenish at all if possible, and Gary's stone notes there is no green. What are your thoughts? Thanks much! :wavey:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I use an ipad - both show no green - maybe you talk to the vendors if you don't like green. The Finewater chryso looks a bit pale...

Mr. Bradshaw offers another larger oval ( the last one) - maybe interesting too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience, I have never seen a pure yellow chrysoberyl. They're either greenish yellow or a golden yellow, and the latter often has, at the very least, hints of brown. I hope you can find a pure yellow one, if it exists.

That being said, I did find this one as well. It's the most yellow I've seen if the photo is accurate. Marlow won't like the price, but if there's very little brown, it may be worth it. One must ask for additional photos in various lighting.

http://www.africagems.com/cushion-yellow-chrysoberyl-g2k-2099.html

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
No, TL, this stone is "quite" large - 250pct def. not o.k. but 240pct for a 3+ - why not....

But both Bradshaw* Chryso are worth to think about. I fear that the Finewater is the typical pale straw color...boring!

I agree that Chrysoberyl has always a bit green or brown - and a nice (neon) green lemon touch would be desirable. I don't like brown unless it is really brown - same with Mali garnet.

* I know " Coast to Coast" since the 80th and they are great and easy to deal with...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1419871691|3809117 said:
No, TL, this stone is "quite" large - 250pct def. not o.k. but 240pct for a 3+ - why not....

But both Bradshaw* Chryso are worth to think about. I fear that the Finewater is the typical pale straw color...boring!

I agree that Chrysoberyl has always a bit green or brown - and a nice (neon) green lemon touch would be desirable. I don't like brown unless it is really brown - same with Mali garnet.

* I know " Coast to Coast" since the 80th and they are great and easy to deal with...

Is Bradshaw a very reliable and great vendor with a good return policy? If so, you should add him to the vendor list sticky. He has fair prices and a wide selection of nicely cut stones.

I just wish he would give a ten day approval from the day the stone is received.

"All orders are sent out to the billing address for a 10 day approval period beginning from the ship date. No returns are accepted after this period unless prior arrangements have been made"

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say I've bought two chrysoberyl from him and the photography was very accurate.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my best vanadium chrysoberyl ( custom cut + fine color) from him - perfect.

Yes - I think we should add www.rarestone.com

Mr Bradshaw sells the commercial gem - Coast to Coast the rare and unusual gems.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received a brief video from Gary. The chryso is pretty & appears to have more saturation/intensity than the pics showed. Thoughts? I really like the stone, though it's about as intense a color as I think I would want.

http://youtu.be/oB0dnyCDrew

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel & Marlow - can you please clarify who you bought your stones from (as mentioned in your last posts)? Thx!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The stone is MUCH better in the video!!, nice elegant shape - still a bit expensive but the sone is o.k.!!

Around 250-300 in would be perfect.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1419911850|3809436 said:
I received a brief video from Gary. The chryso is pretty & appears to have more saturation/intensity than the pics showed. Thoughts? I really like the stone, though it's about as intense a color as I think I would want.

http://youtu.be/oB0dnyCDrew

If you plan on wearing it in the sun all the time, it seems nice. What type of lighting are you in most often, because that's the type of lighting I would want to see the stone in. I see it's a golden yellow.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both for your feedback. I am mostly indoors, in office fluorescent lights or at home in incandescent or TFLs.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1419914687|3809454 said:
Thank you both for your feedback. I am mostly indoors, in office fluorescent lights or at home in incandescent or TFLs.

Many stones lose saturation in fluorescent lighting in particular. You may want some photos in that lighting.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video really shows a lovely stone - bright yellow with only a small amount of brown.

I would be tempted to get it on approval BUT as TL has wisely said, please ask for a video of the same stone indoors because I suspect it may look a bit different.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
JoCoJenn

Was surfing for some Chrysoberyl...

Please check Multicolorgems. They have many ovals around 80-100$ - 1,5 - 2 ct. And interesting matched pairs.

The stone is nice but really very expensive. I checked my own Chrysoberyls - I got a 1,96ct brazilian oval EY with a nice golden color in a Gemshow for 35 EUR!!! ( NOT FOR SALE!!) - was unusualy cheap, o.k. - but 500$ is def. to much!

Maybe you can save some money...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I didn't notice the price. Mmmmm that is high. I'd be tempted to shop around a bit more.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all. I have reached back out to Gary for video in fluorescent lighting. I should be able to determine for sure then. I almost think - if it doesn't lighten up a bit in fluorescent lighting - it might be a little too saturated for my taste. I think I really prefer the lighter tone to the more vivid tone. :sick:

The pics are really more in line with where I would LOVE to be saturation wise.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
It's cut pretty deep, so face up very small
And not precision cut, it's a rough oval
Just make sure it doesn't have any brownish undertone as well...It looks like possible

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have decided to pass on the FW chryso for now. I am traveling this week, and can't focus too much on it, but am afraid it will actually be too vivid in saturation for me for a yellow after seeing the video and thinking on it a bit. It's a beautiful stone though. ;(

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
A good decision - you prefer yellow chrysoberyl with a lower saturation - these are normally the cheapest chrysoberyl - you will find a stone you like around 100-150 in a 2 ct size.

Try Ebay - still a good place to get cheaper Chrysoberyl.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results