shape
carat
color
clarity

Sharing the Rough...Houston Film Festival...April 17, 2015

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to call attention to the blog posting on PS about this fabulous film that will be shown in Houston on Friday, April 17th!

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/journey-gem-interview-sharing-rough-documentary-film-director-orin-mazzoni

From the blog by Erika Winters:

"The documentary film Sharing the Rough, which is set to premiere at the WorldFest Houston International Film Festival on April 17, traces the journey of a rough gemstone as it travels from a mine in East Africa to a U.S. gemstone cutter, a renowned jewelry designer, and ultimately to a jewelry collector as an exquisite finished piece.....
Sharing the Rough was completely crowd funded and shot with a small crew. The film follows award-winning gemstone cutter Roger Dery as he explores mines in Tanzania and Kenya looking for "the one" gem that will be set into a jewelry creation by renowned designer Mark Schneider."

I look forward to when the film is more widely available for all gem lovers to see, but those in the Houston area have a great opportunity this weekend!

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Re: Sharing the Rough...Houston Film Festival...April 17, 20

How cool!

I'm in the neighborhood, but I cannot make it. How funny that it is on the same day that the gem show starts in Houston.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good interview with Orin Mazzoni. Cool that he so creatively put his skill set together and made a movie. I would love to hear the perspective of those involved, particularly Roger, as I bet they did not anticipate the magnitude of the interest (and success) the film would generate.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock

I really hope us Canadians will have an opportunity to view it at some point. It looks fascinating!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I hope they sell DVDs. I bought the last DVD that was recommended on PS (Masters of Dreams), and it is fabulous!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I follow STR too but will not be in the local area for the Houston film festival. I wish them a successful presentation! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yay! Hopefully it comes available for a larger audience soon. I would love to see it.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Thank you everyone for your interest in this film project. It seemed like forever for it to come together. But we are ALL glad it is finished - at least the film production and sound is finished! The next phase we face is producing a buyer of the film. This is frequently done by participating in film festivals around the US, Canada and maybe western Europe. As noted above we are in the Houston Film Festival which started over a week ago, but our screening is closing night - tomorrow (Friday/17th).

Following Houston, we are also in the Dallas and Newport Beach Festivals, all within the next two weeks. The Newport Beach festival had close to 2,000 documentary entries (last year) and they only accept 60. So we are very humbled to be included in the mix. In addition, Newport Beach FF screens a total of 400 films in a 10-day period. And as of yesterday, Sharing The Rough is the only film (from all categories) that has sold out. So now, they've agreed to open another location for us to conduct a 2nd screening.

We will enter 8 to 10 festivals in the US, probably one or two in Canada, and we believe one in England. We have been accepted into other festivals besides those noted above, but we do not have permission to release the details yet.

As for a photo of the original 50ct piece of rough....

50ctmintgarnetrough_8039.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

I really hope this all goes well, I'm so excited to see it :)

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade

To view the film at one of our upcoming festival screenings, can acquire info here:
Houston - Friday evening April 17th
http://worldfest.org/schedule-calendar/?d=8

Dallas - Wednesday evening April 22nd
http://usafilmfestival.com/images/USA.Film.Festival.pdf - about 1/2 way down the page

AGS Conclave - New Orleans - Thursday evening April 23rd [to the trade only]
http://www.americangemsociety.org/conclave-2015 - may take a bit of digging

Newport Beach Film Festival - April 29th & 30th Wed/Thurs evenings (29th is sold out)
http://program.newportbeachfilmfest.com/#p=164 write up is on page 164/165
To purchase tickets - http://newportbeach.festivalgenius.com/2015/films/sharingtherough_orinmazzoni_newportbeach2015

For the Houston festival, almost the whole crew and cast will be on hand. In addition, the Houston and Lone Star GIA Alumni are hosting an after-party of which you would be welcome to attend.

Should be fun, and it is a great story!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Done! I have asked the mods to modify my post - Sorry, Roger.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

I would love to see this. Any chance it will be available online?

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade

pregcurious|1429160426|3862699 said:
I hope they sell DVDs. I bought the last DVD that was recommended on PS (Masters of Dreams), and it is fabulous!
Hi, I am certain it will be available, but most likely on Blu-ray. And, for the time being, it won't be available for download.

Starting this weekend through the end of the year we are focusing on film festivals as that is one of our best options for meeting with potential buyers of the film. Film and production companies send their reps to screen potentials around the US, Canada, Europe and elsewhere for their next opportunity. And we are hoping that a sale will happen before too long.

Then, the new owner of the film will decide the distribution channel.... such as Amazon Prime, Hulu, NetFlix and that genre. We will have to wait and see!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is very cool. I love documentaries so I certainly hope it gets picked up somewhere! :appl:

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade

LoversKites|1429172037|3862743 said:
I'm very curious about what shape they cut the 50 carat garnet rough on the cover -- it looks like a flattish piece of rough that'd be a challenge to cut while retaining a decent amount of weight.

This stone was cut from the same mine: http://www.spectralgems.net/garnet-2/kenyankiwigarnetcush6_24ct_8720/#main
Hi LK, here's the design I created for the piece in the film.kenyankiwigarnetshield.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I hope the movie makes it big. If it does, you know what that means. We're going to have all the requests for blue sapphires replaced with requests for Kenyan Kiwi(TM) garnet. :) I hope you didn't talk about chrysoberyl in the movie :shifty:...we have to keep that awesomeness under wraps.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

pregcurious|1429275061|3863454 said:
I hope the movie makes it big. If it does, you know what that means. We're going to have all the requests for blue sapphires replaced with requests for Kenyan Kiwi(TM) garnet. :) I hope you didn't talk about chrysoberyl in the movie :shifty:...we have to keep that awesomeness under wraps.

LOL, you know, I saw this and immediately thought "well there goes my chance at a nice green garnet" LOL

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I am bringing my whole family and all my friends to this movie if it comes out near me.

Roger, you are a true artist. I love that design and am wondering what happened to the stone.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Roger Dery|1429274835|3863452 said:
LoversKites|1429172037|3862743 said:
I'm very curious about what shape they cut the 50 carat garnet rough on the cover -- it looks like a flattish piece of rough that'd be a challenge to cut while retaining a decent amount of weight.

This stone was cut from the same mine: http://www.spectralgems.net/garnet-2/kenyankiwigarnetcush6_24ct_8720/#main
Hi LK, here's the design I created for the piece in the film.kenyankiwigarnetshield.jpg

Thanks for responding to my question, I bet it's a very dispersive gem. I will definitely watch the documentary when possible. I wish you the best with this project. :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for posting the design. Maybe its just an optical illusion of the rendering, but it appears as if it is relatively shallow for the length and width. If that is the case, it must have been a challenge for you to come up with a cut that would maximize its optical properties and refraction while preserving the rough. I take it the rough was not that deep to begin with or were there inclusions?

ETA: Oops, just now seeing that LK said basically the same thing. Sorry LK!

Have we seen the finished piece? I know that was the big reveal in the film, but I thought maybe now it was available to be seen.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade

It will be revealed tonight during the closing night of the Houston Film Festival. Yes, some may already know of it, but I have to wait till tomorrow to show it. And even then, they may choose to restrict my showing it, as well as the others in the crew. Just don't really know at this point.

Soon I hope....
Boarding our flight in minutes!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As the buyer of the finished piece, I might be a bit reticent to have it be the center of attention.

And break a leg, Roger and Orin! Please come back and let us know how it went! :appl:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

minousbijoux|1429286353|3863557 said:
Thank you for posting the design. Maybe its just an optical illusion of the rendering, but it appears as if it is relatively shallow for the length and width. If that is the case, it must have been a challenge for you to come up with a cut that would maximize its optical properties and refraction while preserving the rough. I take it the rough was not that deep to begin with or were there inclusions?

ETA: Oops, just now seeing that LK said basically the same thing. Sorry LK!

Have we seen the finished piece? I know that was the big reveal in the film, but I thought maybe now it was available to be seen.

No apology needed.
I'd love to see the finished piece too.

Roger Dery said:
It will be revealed tonight during the closing night of the Houston Film Festival. Yes, some may already know of it, but I have to wait till tomorrow to show it. And even then, they may choose to restrict my showing it, as well as the others in the crew. Just don't really know at this point.

Soon I hope....
Boarding our flight in minutes!

Good luck to you and those involved!

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Well the screening was a very fine success, we were able to hear some comments from behind where we were seated, and was very positive. I understand there were a few PS'ers in the theater, and would be great if you could take a few minutes to share your thoughts here in this thread. Below is the poster created for the Houston event.

*an interesting point of interest.... the festival director shared with us they received 150 documentary entries, and they only accepted 5.

houstonstr_poster.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Glad to hear it went well Roger! I look forward to seeing it one day--hopefully soon.

cheers--Sharon

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry it took me a while to get back to post. This was an awesome documentary. I enjoyed it so much I will purchase it when available. I loved how it showed the distinct aspects and points of views of the miners, and the positive way it has changed their communities and families lives. The rough hunting, selection, negotiation, and cutting process was amazing. And, I can't forget to mention that the jewelry design and manufacture process, as well as the finished product and end consumer's reaction was fantastic to see. Congrats to the director, cast, and crew :appl: It was great meeting y'all!

Kroshka

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought it was a well done documentary. Of course, I was rapt the entire movie. Sweet soundtrack, amazing visual of the design process (as most know, it follows a piece of rough from the mine to the piece of finished jewelry, unveiled at last year's JCK show), beautiful scenery, beautiful children in the schools that proceeds have helped build (including many of those involved in the making of the film).

As I said to Roger, one interesting thing the film evoked in me was discomfort at the huge discrepancy between how the miners make their living and what they must go through day after day (although Roger reminds me they are there because they love it), and how the rest of us benefit from that and have it relatively easy in comparison. I look forward to the day when there is proper branding of the East African gemstones and we are willing to pay even more for the stones to afford them better working conditions, better schools, etc.

All in all, it was very good and I can see it being widely distributed soon. :))

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade

In the interest of accuracy.... I posted this earlier - and would like to correct it:
"*an interesting point of interest.... the festival people shared with us they received 150 documentary entries, and they only accepted 5."

As it turns out, there were roughly 400 submissions to the documentary category. They accepted and screened 150, though only 4 receive awards. We received a Platinum Remi - the top award for a feature-length documentary at the Houston WorldFest. Can't wait for all colored gem lovers to experience this as it will have a positive affect on the gem and jewelry industry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results