shape
carat
color
clarity

Rubies, rubies, and hopefully more rubies!

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
OK, so Lovinggems asked for pictures of my ruby set in another thread, and since I’m just hanging’ out today at the house, thought I’d snap a few pics. A cream colored down vest was my background - LOL. There's no sunlight at all today (so dreary!) and so lighting is a challenge and the pics came out much darker than I'd like!

I have been looking for an heirloom quality piece to add to my ruby collection/set, and had purchased a 4ct ruby cabochon that I wound up returning because of surface inclusions and muddy coloring. Rubies are so hard! So I went in a slightly different direction and wanted to get feedback from you all - I have a return period I’m in and need to decide whether or not to keep it.

But first, here’s the ruby set I already have that I’m looking to add to. It’s a 14 Karat white gold vintage Retro buckle bracelet with 4cts square-cut Burmese Rubies and 1.25cts round transitional European cut diamonds. The ring is platinum with french-cut calibre rubies and just a half carat of diamonds. Rubies tend to look decidedly pink/purple in pictures, and while there is certainly a pinkish aspect to them in some lighting, I can say in person they are far more brightly red than they appear.

rubyset.jpg
rubyset1.jpg
rubyring.jpg
rubybracelet.jpg

And here’s the potential new piece that I’m in a return period on. I’ve purchased this from a vendor I’ve not purchased from before and am unsure about the origin or age of the piece. It’s really a beautiful setting that doesn’t show much wear for something that’s supposed to be from the 30s - it’s a 1.10ct OEC J/VS2 bezel-set center diamond that is VERY fiery but does show a tad of yellow when looking at it in natural light from the side. Not sure of the total weight of the rubies or their origin, but it’s approximately 2cts I believe. Outlining the rubies are onyx, weight unknown. The piece is set in Platinum, and on the sides of the shank are four little single cut diamonds.

rubydecoring.jpg
rubydecoring1.jpg
rubydeco2.jpg
rubydeco3.jpg

I do not have time to send it off for a lab report, but will have it assessed locally to see if I can find out more about it and confirm what I do know. I’d love to get your feedback and thoughts on the new piece…please help me decide!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love rubies, and your pieces, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous set :love: :love: You have a truly amazing collection.

And your new find!! I personally love it and it looks great on your finger. I also personally love a vintage lace colour in vintage diamonds. It's a true heiloom piece and one that takes you from day to night. But the most important factor is that you love it and imagine yourself wearing it. Let us know how you feel about it after wearing it for a while (within the return timeframe)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Wow I love your new ring, I hope it checks out ok and you'll decide to keep it. Your existing Ruby ring and bracelet set is just gorgeous, you have great taste!
Thank you for indulging me with these photos, I think I will sleep well after viewing these beauties.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the new ring, a more distinctive setting than the usual vintage, diamond "target ring" & would be a terrific complement to your lovely pieces. I am wondering tho' if the rubies might be synthetic. Synthetics were often used "back when" in conjunction with fine mountings-diamonds, not merely costume jewelry; the rubies in an antique 18k target ring in my family are, it's been ascertained, synthetic ones.

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, dk168! Your ruby ring inspired me to bust my own out. I LOVE your ring!

Acinom, I too love the look of older cut diamonds, and actually prefer them to modern round brilliants. I love both OEC and OMC equally, and each have their own charm. I do worry a bit about wearing the piece with others that have higher grade coloring next to it though - it tends to make the J color even more noticeable, don’t you think?

And frankly, I’m not totally convinced that it’s truly a J color…it looks like it could be in the KL range to my VERY UNTRAINED eye, which is why I’ll have it assessed locally for a professional opinion. It is fiery though, and it does sparkle like mad despite my crummy photos! If you can tell anything from my pics regarding color, please do feel free to share, though I know it's really something to be done in-person.

Awww, thanks Lovinggems! Though we’re the opposite - after seeing your beauties I couldn’t sleep at all for envy and the desire to find some more great stuff! Perhaps it’s the anxiety of a much smaller pocketbook as a result that keeps me awake at night. Or the thought that I’ll need a few more jobs to pay for this “little hobby” of mine. :lol:

MollyMalone, you’ve captured in words EXACTLY what I love about it. It’s not the typical target ring, and has multiple stones in distinctive Art Deco shapes. I know synthetics have been around a long long time, and that Art Deco pieces are commonly set with synthetic sapphires, rubies, emeralds, and sometimes even colored glass! I’d be slightly bothered if they were synthetics (I really really prefer natural stones), but truthfully since it was common for the period it would really only matter in terms of price (of course I'm saying that now before I know for sure, LOL). It was sold as all natural stones, and that’s what I paid for, so only the upcoming professional assessment I’m planning will ultimately determine whether it is as advertised. :naughty:

Were I buying contemporary pieces, I don’t think I’d go for anything synthetic (don’t have any in my collection to date)…though I suppose one should never say never. The right piece at the right price….perhaps….maybe….dunno. :think: *shrugs*

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would it bother you if it's a reproduction, not actually a ring of true Deco vintage? If so, check the listing to make sure it's not described as "Art Deco style".

Some dealers, like Lang, are very good about following up the Art Deco style descriptor with additional text that makes it clear the ring has been newly fashioned or is an older reproduction. But others aren't as conscientous, or may be genuinely uncertain of the age of the piece.

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone, You've hit on something that is/was already of concern to me. But no, there was no "Deco Style" descriptor that I too look for. I had a lot more in my post here, but upon further thought decided I would delete it as I'm in the middle of a transaction - once I've had it assessed and made my final decision I'll add more.

I will add that I've bought several pieces from Lang, and love them! And they are quite up front about what you're getting. My Sapphire and Moonstone ring is from Lang, and it is a genuine period piece that is my absolute favorite! They have a couple beautimous reproductions that are spectacular pieces too - if only I could afford them all! :D

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just did a Google images search, thinking that another one might show up if it is a reproduction (that happened :(sad when I was looking for a vintage target ring for myself; my second cousin once removed has the family ring I mentioned earlier). A ring that looks like a twin of the one you have in hand is presently listed by Beverly Hills Antiques on Ruby Lane with Art Deco Style in both the title and the text.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/1330508-75805/Ex78quisite-Art-Deco-Style-1-10C

The one you received is still very appealing imo & I have no idea how the asking price for the one on Ruby Lane compares to the purchase price of the ring you were sent, but since this other listing could factor into my decision, were I in your shoes, I'm relaying it on.

P.S. I've spent many hours on Lang's web site & loved visiting the shop some years back. If I ever win the lottery, Lang will be a prime destination for me :bigsmile:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BaileyC|1430063117|3868054 said:
Thanks so much, dk168! Your ruby ring inspired me to bust my own out. I LOVE your ring!

Thank you for your kind words.

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still a unique ring. I bet you will not come across someone who wears the same. The price should be reasonable though. And the colour is indeed probably lower than described. You will see more tint if you also wear high coloured MRB's.

It is annoying though if the vendor presented this as genuinely vintage. Knowingly or unknowingly. Perhaps the vendor is willing to lower the price if you present him/her with the twin ring MollyMalone found.

Good luck making your decision!

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Boy do I wish this board had PMs right now!

Is there a way to edit a post after someone has posted after it?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you can edit a post even if after others post (in that case, the fact that 1 or more edits was made is noted at the bottom of your post). But the window of opportunity for editing posts here on PS -- regardless of whether there are any subsequent posts -- isn't very long, maybe 10 minutes?

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Acinom|1430076627|3868119 said:
Still a unique ring. I bet you will not come across someone who wears the same. The price should be reasonable though. And the colour is indeed probably lower than described. You will see more tint if you also wear high coloured MRB's.

It is annoying though if the vendor presented this as genuinely vintage. Knowingly or unknowingly. Perhaps the vendor is willing to lower the price if you present him/her with the twin ring MollyMalone found.

Good luck making your decision!
I agree on your last point (actually all your points, heh). And that's what I'm concerned about regarding diamond coloring - how it will look compared to others. But, having said that, I don't own a MRB as I prefer the older cuts in rounds. I do have a contemporary emerald cut, and an asscher cut but it's not likely I'd pair those with my vintage pieces (though I might!). But still, other pieces that I would wear them with have accent diamonds of higher color grading - it seems the J (or whatever grade it turns out to be) suffers by comparison and that's a shame because it is awful fiery and sparkly!

MollyMalone said:
Yes, you can edit a post even if after others post (in that case, the fact that 1 or more edits was made is noted at the bottom of your post). But the window of opportunity for editing posts here on PS -- regardless of whether there are any subsequent posts -- isn't very long, maybe 10 minutes?
I see, well then too late now. Thanks for looking out for me! I'm not too familiar with the site you linked to, nor have I shopped there, but I did see that listing post-purchase. I would say more, but again, I'm mid-transaction and...well...I'll leave it at that for now.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and for your help!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
You have good instincts and already suspected that this was a reproduction. Still, I think it's very pretty and if you paid a reasonable price and love it, it seems like a good buy.

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1430079243|3868137 said:
You have good instincts and already suspected that this was a reproduction. Still, I think it's very pretty and if you paid a reasonable price and love it, it seems like a good buy.
Agreed. It could be a good buy if the stones check out to my satisfaction, though I really do want vintage pieces at this point.

There's actually a lot more to it, but again, I'm mid-transaction and still undecided so I'm going to hold back. If folks find other things, please hold off on posting until the transaction is complete - a lot of people probably read this forum. :shifty:

So how about a sideshow distraction for now? Here's a genuine Art Deco period piece from the 30s. It's a half carat I/VS1 OEC, with french-cut onyx halo and accent OMCs. Since I do the whole "set" thing, I've paired it with a contemporary silver bracelet that has accent diamonds. These two black and white pieces are color-staples, so as a result are among my favorites!

black_whiteset.jpg

P.S. Onyx is among my favorite stones as well. What doesn't go with onyx?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I am late the the thread, it looks like a Reproduction to me too. Places like Fay Cullen and others have settings like this so you could in theory find your own stone and then set them into a Ruby or other setting if you don't like the colour of the centre OEC;

http://www.faycullen.com/Art-Deco-Ring-Settings/p-2/

I have seen your above setting the Ruby & Onyx one before, but it is beautiful none the less!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not send the ring back if I loved the overall look. So long as you've paid a fair price then I wouldn't get too hung up on repro or vintage. If the stones are not treated then it's a beautiful ring either way. It's unique and yummy. KEEP IT!

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and feedback on the ruby/diamond ring. I had decided to return it, and wanted the return transaction to be complete before posting again.

I had inquired about the history of the ring with the vendor, and was told it was a one-owner wedding ring from 1930, bought at an estate sale from the son. The diamond was sold as a J color OEC.

When I received the ring, upon inspection I noticed a stamp on the inner shank marking the weight of the diamond, and there wasn’t enough noticeable wear for such an old ring - I knew then that something wasn’t quite right. Additionally, the stone was quite yellow for J in my amateur estimation, so I decided to post about it here and take it locally for a better look. I also began scouring the internet for more info, and found the same Ruby Lane posting MollyMalone found, by the same vendor! There it was described as "Deco Style" which I would have recognized immediately as an indicator of reproduction. Whether that’s the same ring I have or another listing of a second ring just like it, I don’t know (I didn't buy it from Ruby Lane).

A local jeweler confirmed it was indeed an OEC diamond, but estimated the color at best an L, but more likely an M. Some of the rubies appeared genuine, but some also appeared they could be synthetic - on the upside I got to see them under a microscope and it was a learning experience for me!

Another very nice antique dealer I’ve bought from immediately identified the ring as a reproduction, and even showed a link to the same design from what was likely the actual maker of this ring. To be honest, I felt a little bit stupid that I didn’t know it was reproduction just by looking at the vendor pictures. Seems I still have a lot to learn!

The setting was indeed beautiful, and it was well constructed and looked quite lovely on hand (though the diamond looked even more yellow sitting next to higher grade diamonds). I did actually consider keeping the ring because I very much liked the look of it, but ultimately decided that since it wasn’t what I originally wanted (a genuine Deco piece), and because the diamond was just too yellow for me (I paid for higher grade), I would return it. I also felt like it didn't make my heart "sing" as much as it had before, once I knew more about it.

The return went fairly smoothly, and is now complete. I have already identified a replacement piece, though it’s not a ring. When I get it I will post about it!

Thanks again to everyone for your help, and for looking out for me! You all are truly the best!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your experiences. This is very helpful. I am glad the return transaction went smoothly. And that you have identified a different jewelry piece that will hopefully makes your heart sing.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy to hear that the return was a smooth transaction, but disappointed to hear that that seller was not exactly honest in their description and information regarding the ring.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm late to the party but what a gorgeous collection of rubies! Sorry the ring didn't work out but I'm glad that you've found a new candidate!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results