shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about gold color for chrysoberyl setting

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Question: If you have a chrysoberyl that looks lemony yellow (precision cut and nice satuation) in some lighting, but shows a bit of green in other lighting (as many chrysoberyls do) will an 18k yellow gold setting make the stone look more yellow or will the yellow gold bring out the green?

Thanks in advance for any opinions! I don't have any idea about settings (that's WAY down the road). I'm just curious so I know which way to go when I start looking.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Colorluvr-- Any pics of your chrysoberyl?

I am working through the same dilemma-- I have a chrysoberyl that I want to set and I haven't decided on gold color either. I just ordered an 18k green gold band, both to see if I like that color, and also to see how it looks against my chrysoberyl. When I get this I will post pictures with a bunch of different chrysoberyls. My big one is more green than yellow most of the time, but I have a 5 by 7 oval that is more sunny yellow. I was playing with the little one and placed it in a tsavorite melee, and it definitely looks more yellow. However, that is green green, not just greenish tinted gold.

chicago-20130224-00031.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pear shaped chrysoberyl that I LOVE :wink2: that I keep planning on setting. Once at Intergem at Bill Vance's he had a pear shaped mounting with a yellow gold pear shaped cup. W O W did it make my stone look AMAZING!! Really amped up the yellowyness. I still haven't set that stone. Though I do have a design in mind. And when I do set it - I will definitely have a cup made for it to amp up the yellow.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
erinl|1362869879|3400831 said:
I was playing with the little one and placed it in a tsavorite melee, and it definitely looks more yellow. However, that is green green, not just greenish tinted gold.

That looks amazing. I usually like colored gemstones with white diamonds, but that combo is fantastic!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold will make it look more green, and yellow will make it look more yellow, in my opinion. I have chrysoberyls in both those color metals.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, TL, good to "see" you! :wavey: Now, rose gold hadn't occurred to me for chryso - don't think it's been brought up in the other threads about metal choices for this material. (there is no emoticon for a "thinking face", e.g. stroking chin while pondering). I know it's possible you have posted them in other threads, but would you mind posting pics of your examples of chrysos in different metals?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NKOTB. I hope these help the OP.

Chrysoberyl in 14K yellow gold as side stones

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sapphire-and-chrysoberyl-ring.171091/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sapphire-and-chrysoberyl-ring.171091/[/URL]

Chyrsoberyls in 14K rose gold as side stones

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-carat-spinel-flanked-by-two-yellowish-green-chrysoberyls.159813/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-carat-spinel-flanked-by-two-yellowish-green-chrysoberyls.159813/[/URL]

And here's a pic of a chrysoberyl in 18K yellow gold halo head.

It has minty green sparkles in the sun, so it might not look as yellow as a more lemony yellow chrysoberyl

tlchrysoberyl_301_18k.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a lemony yellow chrysoberyl but a greenish yellow to yellowish green. Rose gold didn't look nice with mine but both green and 18k yellow were fine. I ended up using yellow gold which brought out the yellow better.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's pretty apparent in TL's pics how rose gold brings out green & yellow brings out yellow, at least on my monitor. TL, I have been madly insanely profoundly eternally in love with your sapphire round w/chryso side stones ever since you first put up your photos! :love: :love: Did I say I like it pretty much? Would never have thought of that combination & if somebody described it, I would probably have gone, 'Eeeuw." But it works fabulously. Also love your lovely haloed rectangle here. The yg is just right. Cut looks great too.

--- Laurie

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much everyone! That is exactly the info that I wanted. :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1362919163|3401147 said:
It's pretty apparent in TL's pics how rose gold brings out green & yellow brings out yellow, at least on my monitor. TL, I have been madly insanely profoundly eternally in love with your sapphire round w/chryso side stones ever since you first put up your photos! :love: :love: Did I say I like it pretty much? Would never have thought of that combination & if somebody described it, I would probably have gone, 'Eeeuw." But it works fabulously. Also love your lovely haloed rectangle here. The yg is just right. Cut looks great too.

--- Laurie

Thanks JF. :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1362892138|3401042 said:

It has minty green sparkles in the sun, so it might not look as yellow as a more lemony yellow chrysoberyl

Wait, this is yellow gold? It looks so much like rose gold in the halo setting

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1363034962|3402222 said:
TL|1362892138|3401042 said:

Wait, this is yellow gold? It looks so much like rose gold in the halo setting

It's yellow gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results