shape
carat
color
clarity

Photography again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read in one of photography discussions that you do not recommend using flash. Yet lavatea mentioned using flash in her tsavorite photographs, and some of mine photographs look plain dark. Can anyone tell me if (and when) it is OK to use flash?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never use flash with my macro setting. I guess it depends on the camera and the it''s light sensitivity capabilities as well.

exturkconner

Rough_Rock
Real deal photographers will often tell you to never use flash on anything. If the subject doesn''t have enough ambient light you move light in and if you can''t then you don''t shoot. The problem with using a flash in a stone is that stones are made to flash and sparkle and a flash is a bright flickering light. Usually that''s going to cause sparkles and sparkles are going to ruin your focal point so the camera''s pictures will look fuzzy.

They have ebay seller photography kits. It''s basically a little white tent with a platform and two light sources in it. The light is pointed to the white so it deffers as opposed to be blinding direct light. Alot of folks like that sort of shooting environment. To me it''s a bit to sterile but some like it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2010 4:41:03 PM
Author: exturkconner
Real deal photographers will often tell you to never use flash on anything. If the subject doesn''t have enough ambient light you move light in and if you can''t then you don''t shoot. The problem with using a flash in a stone is that stones are made to flash and sparkle and a flash is a bright flickering light. Usually that''s going to cause sparkles and sparkles are going to ruin your focal point so the camera''s pictures will look fuzzy.

They have ebay seller photography kits. It''s basically a little white tent with a platform and two light sources in it. The light is pointed to the white so it deffers as opposed to be blinding direct light. Alot of folks like that sort of shooting environment. To me it''s a bit to sterile but some like it.

You think I can get one from ebay? Or do I just google it? Or can you give me a link?

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
In general, using flash in gemstome photography is a bad idea. The light rays from flash are very parallel, and the lighting you want, is very wide angle diffused light, such as an overcast day.

That eBay lighting tent would do well for photographing entire pieces of jewelry, mainly metal (gold or platinum), but it would not do well for gemstones.

The reason is, using the tent, the light comes in 90 degrees from the sides, and the camera and gem is in the front. Gemstones are cut with the intention that light enters the front (the table) and reflects back to the viewers eyes. Light entering the gemstone from the side, would not enter the gem, it would be reflected toward the back.

Here is an old gem photography thread I wrote on this subject.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I hate flash on any pictures. But my camera is very stubborn, and unless I set it in almost completely manual mode, it generally pops up the stupid flash. And I''m not astute enough to know how to shoot very good photos in manual modes. I do use semi-manual modes a lot, but that''s when I''m shooting my kids and stuff.

The "macro" mode on my camera is really a close-up mode, and it''s a full auto mode, so I don''t get to pick flash or no flash. I just tried to make sure the flash was hitting at a point above the stones and not directly on them.

I wanted a flash diffuser, but I never got around to forking out the money for one. What I REALLY want is an external flash that I can turn and bounce off walls or the ceiling for a more natural look. But I''m not sure that applies to gem photography at all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always turn the flash on and only use the macro setting. If it is too dark, I add additional light sources from different directions as needed, as to avoid the dreaded head/camera obstruction as possible. Since adding my own lighting is a pain, I try to take outdoor pictures (free sunshine
3.gif
) and if pressed, a room at home that has strong enough lighting that I don''t need to use the flash. I find that using the flash in gem photography tends to wash out the true colour of the stone.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Natural, indirect light is always best. Flash is a gem-lovers worst enemy!

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 9:44:41 PM
Author: lavatea
I hate flash on any pictures. But my camera is very stubborn, and unless I set it in almost completely manual mode, it generally pops up the stupid flash.
Try placing a white sheet (3x5 card) in front of the flash and angling up. This bounces the flash away from the gem. Not sure what this does to automatic exposure, but it gets the flash illumination away from the gem, with the camera still on full auto.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2010 6:15:37 PM
Author: zeolite
In general, using flash in gemstome photography is a bad idea. The light rays from flash are very parallel, and the lighting you want, is very wide angle diffused light, such as an overcast day.

That eBay lighting tent would do well for photographing entire pieces of jewelry, mainly metal (gold or platinum), but it would not do well for gemstones.

The reason is, using the tent, the light comes in 90 degrees from the sides, and the camera and gem is in the front. Gemstones are cut with the intention that light enters the front (the table) and reflects back to the viewers eyes. Light entering the gemstone from the side, would not enter the gem, it would be reflected toward the back.

Here is an old gem photography thread I wrote on this subject.

Thank you so much! It will take me a lot of time and energy to create a system you made but I shall start collecting bits and pieces for it, but at least I can take shoots in overcast day! I always thought it was the worst idea and used direct light from a lamp! The shadow on my photos is not my head, but it is my camera, which doesn't make any difference of course. I may also need some input on how to shoot color-changers (for them you need artificial light). But now I see that I was doing everything 100% wrong.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Here''s my photo setup. It''s pretty simple, made with stuff around the house. The box is just a cardboard box, lined for the most part with white paper. I should have done a better job, as the stones often pick up some of the brown cardboard. But I''m busy. The white board is a piece of white foamcore you can pick up most any art store or Joanne Fabric type place. I drew some black lines on it to try to give the stones a bit more life than the flat look from the the plain white board. Seemed to help a little bit.

The lights are Solux bulbs, which are color balanced very close to daylight, but you could really use most any light. The drawback to these bulbs is they get really hot, and I burn myself on them all the time.

The camera I use is a Nikon SLR, but you could do the same with any point and shoot with a macro lens. The one thing you don''t want to do is be too close to the stone. I use a 105 mm macro lens, which lets me get a bit further back.

FotoSetup1.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Crasu-

Let me offer an alternative before you spend $38 on the kit. I saw a little trick once that works well although I am still working out the bugs.

Take a 1 gallon plastic milk carton and cut it in half just below the handle. Then cut a hole in it to point the camera through. Spend a few bucks on two small quartz desk lamps and Viola! you have a photo tent on the cheap.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Oops, I just saw Precisions setup. It looks like it would work way better than my suggestion. In fact, I think I am going to build one of these little beauties for myself!

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 10:36:47 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
Here''s my photo setup.
Thanks Gene for sharing. I have a similar setup too. What do you use as the base surface where your rest your gemstone on?

Thanks!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2010 11:53:34 PM
Author: Revolution
Oops, I just saw Precisions setup. It looks like it would work way better than my suggestion. In fact, I think I am going to build one of these little beauties for myself!

Zeolith's and Gene's are great, but yours is wonderful, too. What do you think costs more these days? A cardboard box or a gallon of milk? (LOL)

I think I shall go with a milk carton because doctors just prescribed me a diet of milk and yogurt.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results