shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help selecting a green engagement ring

grommet

Rough_Rock
Hi y'all - thanks in advance for the service you provide to the community...especially to neophytes like myself. My journey (and OCD) in selecting the perfect engagement ring has led me here.

I'm looking for something a little different than a run-of-the-mill ring. I love halo settings matched with a colored center stone and I'm currently looking at green sapphires. Something very similar to this, just green...which I think will match my girlfriend's sensibilities and long slender fingers:

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Sapphire-Bella-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-BE1AHD22R22-SP6RD/

My two questions:

1. Does anyone have experience dealing with Brilliant Earth?
2. Your preferred vendor list is quite overwhelming. Is there a specific vendor that can help with green sapphires? What about settings similar to the one above?

Again, many thanks in advance.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I think green sapphires are hard, I have yet to see one that is a true green-green. Usually they're either sort of a blue-green, or sort of muddy looking (to my eye) If "teal" is OK, I'd look at montana sapphires. I got mine from MountainMommaGems on etsy, but there's usually a lot of nice looking ones on gemfix, as mentioned above.

There's a really pretty colored pear shaped green-blue one on palagems, but it's pretty large and I'm thinking you want a round :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color green?

I'm no expert but I've become quite fond of chrysoberyls. Come in lovely lighter green to also at neon shades and are so reasonably priced.

And as for that setting, if brilliant earth doesn't work Beverly k makes a setting extremely similar and pearlmans sells them.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hi and welcome to your ering journey!

You've picked an unusual combination - green and sapphire. However if we can help you pull it off, it will be stunning and definitely different especially with a halo of the same colour. You've obviously taken your girlfriend's likes and dislikes in to account which is often a stumbling block. It's important that she wants a coloured stone ering and not be shocked and disappointed to be presented with something other than a diamond.

On the plus side...
1) because they are not highly sought after, you should be able to find one at a good price.
2) sapphire is a good choice to stand up to the daily wear and tear an ering is subject to.
3) your timing is excellent because Tuscon is coming up in February and all the gem faceters, dealers, brokers and vendors go. You could ask one of the faceters to look for sapphire rough that will meet your criteria.

Minus side...
They don't abound, at least not well cut ones so this may be a three part process of finding the stone, getting it cut/recut by a precision faceter so that it will be the sparkler you envisage, and then getting it set. Alternatively it may be possible to reach out to the faceters initially to see if they have any suitable rough and start there. (See 3 above which I've just added).

So a few questions...

Are you aware that green sapphires are normally a yellowish green? They almost never come in a forest or emerald green. I've attached a couple of photos to illustrate. Gems that do come in a truer green do not typically stand up to everyday wear.

Are you open to shapes other than round? They can still be haloed but with such an unusual colour the wider the parameters the more chance we have of finding something to suit.

What is your budget for both the stone and the ring?

To answer your two questions...
1) I can't comment on Brilliant Earth as I have no experience of them. However if you enter them into the search function (top left) you may be able to throw up some review threads.

2) :bigsmile: Yes, it can be daunting for newcomers. Some of the faceters have all sorts of stuff squirreled away and you might check with Jerry Newman (Gemart), Barry Bridgestock (Acsstones) and Dana of Mastercut.

In addition Carmen and Deskjockey have suggested Gemfix for Montana sapphires - while the typical Montana is a teal green, they do come in a primarily green colour and Gemfix probably has one of the best selections for viewing. Are you open to Montanas?

ETA: Finding a suitable setting is usually the easy part!

green-sapphire-halo.png

gf-montana.png

grommet

Rough_Rock
Wow - thanks everyone for your responses and great feedback. I like this place already. ;-) I'll attempt to answer a few questions.

Budget: $3-4k

Why a green sapphire? Well, I'm looking for a combination of something she can identify with (everyone's heard of a sapphire), she has green eyes, affordability, and a gem tough enough to stand up to daily wear. Oh yeah, it IS a little of a risk to go the non-diamond route as she's a bit of a traditionalist so there's a chance she'll be disappointed. That's why a money back guarantee or exchange policy may be something I need.

Color: Yellow or blue-green gems are perfectly fine assuming it looks good in the setting and doesn't get mistaken for a diamond that I skimped on.

Shape: Like I said, she has long, slender fingers so I want something that complements that. I've seen some squared off gyms that also look tremendous in a halo setting so that's certainly an option.

Timing: I know it sounds hokey but we're spending the weekend in Boston over Valentine's day weekend and it just seems like the perfect time to pop the question. The means I need something in hand within 30 days!

Another question: diamonds are pretty easy to objectively evaluate based on the 4 c's and the characteristics of the cut itself. With colored gemstones I'm seeing stuff all over the map. Flat vs tall, muddy vs. brilliant, light vs dark. Is there anything objectively I can look for to evaluate say...how brilliant the piece will look? It's kind of hard to know over the internet.

Whew...hope that helps and I'll definitely do my homework tonight based on what y'all wrote.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
It's great that you are open to various greens and shapes other than round! :))

I did think more after I'd posted but decided to leave it until your reply. The one sticking point with your desired ring is that because of wanting a matching green halo, the ring will have to be custom made. That will take up at least half of your budget I should think. Still doable.

Depending on who you choose to make the ring, it's probably easier to let the jeweller source the melee (small matching halo stones). This may well be more difficult with a Montana. Where are you located?

V-day... *groan* don't want much do you :lol:
The general consensus on PS is that greens tend to look better in yellow gold. Does your girlfriend have a preference for white or yellow gold jewellery?
Oh yeah, it IS a little of a risk to go the non-diamond route as she's a bit of a traditionalist so there's a chance she'll be disappointed. That's why a money back guarantee or exchange policy may be something I need.
CAUTION Will Robinson!!! - you need to suss this out before we go any further (or get a girlfriend, sister etc to do it) The ring you are designing will not be easily changed or returned once done.

To answer your last question...
If you haven't already, please read this sticky at the top of the CS forum https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/
The short answer is - experience.

kermit.jpg

green-trillion-sapphire-yg.jpg

grommet

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info...I found something I think nails it! Since we will be combining two families (we both have kids) the side mounts are perfectly symbolic.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/154541649/green-sapphire-engagement-ring-3-stone?ref=shop_home_active_42

Are you saying something like this will be hard to procure? I have NO clue where this specific vendor is getting their sapphire and it's hard to know how exactly how brilliant it will look in the end. But at least this give you some idea what I'm after. :)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Fantastic! Providing you go for the diamond sides and halo, you've just made the whole thing doable in your timeframe! :appl: :appl: :appl:

But don't buy that - it's not a real ring, it's a CAD (software picture of a potential ring). I love that you have thought of the symbolism the two side stones represent :)) The design is not hard to find and there are slight variations available regarding how the halo is handled and the melee set. In addition you're right that we don't have any idea where they would get the sapphire and what the cut would be like.

In that case - these are Montanas and available 394, 313 and 317 (stock numbers)

If you like them, it would now be best to judge a couple in hand. Be aware that some buyers through PS have reported that the Gemfix stones look darker when received.

At this stage I suggest you open discussions with Andrew by phone and ask his opinion of the three in hand. Then select two, buy them and send the one you don't want back. Andrew will talk you through the process of doing this. Don't worry it's a fairly common occurrence :bigsmile:

Also be aware that lurkers on PS have been known to swipe stones out from under people enquiring once the stones have been pointed out and discussed here.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Niel you are amazing!! :lol: I take my (imaginary) hat off to you *need hat-doffing smiley*

1) No information on sapphire treatment - would need to be sent to AGL. (With Gemfix Montanas we could possibly skip that step?)
2) sapphire appears to be well cut if a little dark - what do we think of the colour?
3) pave metal work seems a little heavy

Following Grommet's hint of blended families, I was also looking along the lines of a plaited shank - can't find one of those with a green sapphire can you? :bigsmile:

ETA: Actually, I just read the JA return policy and that does seem risk free for Grommet to find out if his lady like the green sapphire.

green-sapphire-triple-jamesallen.png

plaited-shank-etsy-beautifulpetra.jpg

plaited-shank-simple.jpg

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I agree, if OP needs a ring in less than a month and wants to be able to return it I don't think he has the option of buying a loose sapphire and having it mounted in a setting. I can't imagine a vendor would take back a setting, even a stock setting, after it has had a stone mounted in it and then removed. If the ability to return is a requirement, I think a completed ring is probably the only way to go, and that James Allen ring could be the one. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a look at it in person to see what you think, sooner rather than later because if you don't like it you don't have much time to find an alternative.

grommet

Rough_Rock
OP here. I agree there's no time to buy an investment-grade gem and get it set separately. But I ask (perhaps naively)...does it matter? Yes, sh*t happens and we may have to sell it one day, but if we put that aside for a second...as an average-joe consumer should I get get wrapped up in all that? Interestingly enough the setting is taking up more of my time than the stone itself!

It's funny how history repeats itself. This time almost 20 years ago I spent almost 3 months looking for that perfect diamond for what was my first wife. At the end of the day she got a stunner but here I sit 20 years wiser and am wondering what the extra $$$ really got me (except a divorce but that's a WHOLE other story).

But I digress. :lol:

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Okaaay ... PSers are on the job!

Grommet and Mystic - that Laurie Sarah ring is the reason we get picky - a "window you could hang curtains in" - there is a clear area in the middle of the stone that you can actually see the bottom of the setting through!!!

window-ls.jpg

window-ls-marked.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Mystic that last setting alone is $4000+ which is the budget for stone and setting.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
From where I sit, the James Allen stone has a window and unappealing color. Then again, I have yet to see a green Sapphire with appealing color.

grommet

Rough_Rock
Greg - I'm starting to agree with you and now I'm wavering. :confused: Diamonds aside - what stones do you think make good engagement ring centerpieces? I'm easily influenced in my weakened state. ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1389933084|3594468 said:
From where I sit, the James Allen stone has a window and unappealing color. Then again, I have yet to see a green Sapphire with appealing color.
That looks to be a tilt window. That stone isn't face on so I dot think judging the window at that view is accurate.

Plus james allen usual a very black and unflattering camera to take pictures of their diamond I don't think they change it for gemstones.

They have a very good return policy. When I bought my ring and got it reset they paid the return shipping and everything. I don't see why it's not worth a look.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
grommet|1389931741|3594450 said:
OP here. I agree there's no time to buy an investment-grade gem and get it set separately. But I ask (perhaps naively)...does it matter? Yes, sh*t happens and we may have to sell it one day, but if we put that aside for a second...as an average-joe consumer should I get get wrapped up in all that? Interestingly enough the setting is taking up more of my time than the stone itself!

Grommet I understand where you're coming from but I hope the illustration I've just posted shows why we think it's important to help people understand what gives - and prevents - beauty in a coloured gem. Yes there are a lot of pitfalls to the unwary - will your friends and family be able to tell the difference? Probably not. BUT they will look at a ring like the LS above and may go away thinking "Well I don't think that's anything special" though they may not say anything to you. Ideally, you want them to be bowled over by it's colour and sparkle and think "Wow!!"

Do you like the James Allen one that Niel found? I have some reservations that it too has a window however if you do like it the next step is to ring and ask for more photos. Specifically some hand shots so that we can get a better idea of the colour and cut. Laying down as it is we can't judge colour or cut properly.

Also ask them - "Does this have a window and is it so dark it's going to black out?"

What do you think?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
grommet|1389933525|3594475 said:
Greg - I'm starting to agree with you and now I'm wavering. :confused: Diamonds aside - what stones do you think make good engagement ring centerpieces? I'm easily influenced in my weakened state. ;-)

Chrysoberyls spinels and sapphires.

Chrysoberyls, IMHO are worth another look. Yes people don't know what they are as commonly as sapphires but so? She can feel special because she has a special stone that nobody else she knows has. Plus they are very pretty green.

grommet

Rough_Rock
Starzin|1389932661|3594460 said:
Grommet and Mystic - that Laurie Sarah ring is the reason we get picky - a "window you could hang curtains in" - there is a clear area in the middle of the stone that you can actually see the bottom of the setting through!!!

I see what you mean and just spent 30 minutes googling what the heck you meant. I just learned something, so thanks. :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
GregS|1389933084|3594468 said:
Ditto to the bold.

I do like teal sapphires though. They can be very beautiful.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Never mind - I've just seen what you think. Confusion is beginning to set in and it's understandable that you are beginning to doubt yourself.

Niel makes very good points - you came wanting a green sapphire and this is a ring ready to go with a no risk return policy. It is worth a look so ignore my instructions about more photos and get it so you can see if you like it and if you want to proposse with it.

If you do, once the deed is done you can say to her that if she would prefer a diamond or different design, you can return it and look for something together.

In the long run, it doesn;'t matter what we think what colour or gem is good for an ering - it's what your girlfriend PREFERS that matters! You want her to look down at her left hand with pleasure and delight instead of sadly wishing it was blue or a diamond.

I see what you mean and just spent 30 minutes googling what the heck you meant. I just learned something, so thanks. :)
That's because you didn't read the sticky I pointed you to in my first post! ;-)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Freke there are 3 possible Montanas up thread - it's the time factor now and the fact that we don't really know if GF wants a coloured stone ;(

If the JA ring is horrid at least he had something to propose with and will be able to say the mushy stuff like "It represent our two families coming together around a green-eyed girl" and then they can return it and come back here and we'll sort them out again :lol: :lol: :lol: okay I'll get my coat

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so i dont know if its still available... but Richard homer had this stone Chryso. about 8x5.5 I suppose you could call it more chartreuse than pure green but a very striking color. And still green ;-)

have to see what he is currently asking for it, but should leave you enough to get a halo setting.

I believe he ships two day, so you could have it by the next week. Or, if you were confident enough in the color see if he would ship it strait to JA ( they might not allow that but some vendors do). I say them only because they seem to have a turn around time on these settings pretty fast, so i would think they could do it within your 3 weeks ish timeframe. Not sure everyone can (not 100% sure they can, but worth asking). I've seen before where if you tell them you have a timeline they try an meet it.

pop it in this halo
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-engagement-ring-oval-center-item-17528
or this
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-shoulders-engagement-ring-oval-center-item-17391

as i believe that would keep you in budget, plus they are really the best cast halos that JA offers, and i think you need cast to keep to the time frame. Plus I think they make a beautiful halo for a colored stone as you can see I the second link, and the sleek lines match the more modern cutting. I'd pick the halo with the diamonds in the shank.

A lot of ifs but JA has a chat window 24/7 and you could shoot an email over to R. Homer to inquire about the stone this evening. and then you have a green ring with a halo setting that would just look very high quality. I think if they could pull it off in I your time frame it could be amazing.

7248_6976_chrysoberyls.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pssst....a proposal of marriage does not have to be accompanied by a ring. ;)) I know I'm not the only one who happily said "Yes!" (in Boston, BTW) without a ring, or stone, in sight. In fact, discussing the possibilities for the e-ring, refining our ideas as we shopped, was a wonderful thing for us to do as a couple. It was a further bonding experience I'm very happy we had!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMHO, when someone is thinking green, they think kelly green, mmerald green or forest green. Maybe mint green comes next. Chartreuse (at best) is not at all safe to pick for a surprise engagement ring. Plus, if it's the color of her eyes.... :shock:

http://www.forevergemstones.com/proddetail.php?ProdID=2934

I didn't look at the stock numbers of the GF stones above, but these are the ones I like:

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html

First stone
http://www.atggems.com/Photos_Sapphire2.htm

This is really quite pretty
https://www.primagemsusa.com/content/sapphire-1

DISCLAIMER: Typically I stay far away from NSC (Natural Sapphire Company) because of their unscrupulous photoshop practices and lack of professional conduct, HOWEVER, given the time constraints and the desires of the OP, I figured he could give it a look. They have stock settings he could put it in (temp setting?) and he could probably have it within a week. They have a large inventory...Just something to think about.

Interesting shape
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...es/p-52261-emerald-cut-unique-sapphire-u4761/

Round
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...apphires/p-52380-round-unique-sapphire-u4809/

Oval
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...sapphires/p-47579-oval-unique-sapphire-u4392/

Stepcut
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...phires/p-52462-asscher-unique-sapphire-u4830/
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...phires/p-51028-asscher-unique-sapphire-u4530/
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...phires/p-52497-asscher-unique-sapphire-u4844/
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...es/p-52516-emerald-cut-unique-sapphire-u4854/

Pretty shade of green
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...phires/p-50532-cushion-unique-sapphire-u4592/

Yellow-y green
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...phires/p-46793-cushion-unique-sapphire-u4307/

Pear
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...sapphires/p-52279-pear-unique-sapphire-u4759/

Starting to get pricey
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...sapphires/p-48352-oval-unique-sapphire-u3521/
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...phires/p-47540-cushion-unique-sapphire-u3626/
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...phires/p-48561-cushion-unique-sapphire-u3529/
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...phires/p-48469-cushion-unique-sapphire-u3837/

WAY over budget, but such a pretty green sapphire I had to share:
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...apphires/p-47539-round-unique-sapphire-u3443/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results