shape
carat
color
clarity

Museum of Natural History

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I previously posted a thread with publically available pics of some high end jewelry pieces at the Museum of Natural History. This time, I took pics of gemstones in the more general displays.

If you have never been to this museum, the first 2 rooms hold the Hope Diamond, and high end jewelry pieces and stones I previously posted about ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/museum-of-natural-history-dc.168110/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/museum-of-natural-history-dc.168110/[/URL]). The focus is on diamonds (colored and white), sapphires, emeralds, and rubies. There is even a cat's eye chrysoberyl, but it is quite brown.

Once you go beyond the first 2 rooms, the gallery opens to large cased displays. I took pictures of the first ones on the left, and a display on the right that shows topazes.

Pictures coming...

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The first display on the left had a myriad of gemstones in rainbow order.

photo_870.jpg

photo_871.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The next case on the left side of the gallery showed copper bearing gems. I did not take a close up of this case because I was sad about the lack of a Paraiba tourmaline. :cry:

The 2nd pic is of cases 3, 4, and 5 on the left. I will post closeups of these shortly.

photo_872.jpg

photo_873.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Case #3 (pictured in the previous post) contained beryls. They were lovely. :love: Here are closeups.

Case #4 (pictured in the previous post) contained fluorite. Here are closeups

photo_876.jpg

photo_877.jpg

photo_874.jpg

photo_875.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Case #5 (the right most case in the picture with the 3 cases together, in the 2nd post) contained garnets.

Closeups:

photo_878.jpg

photo_879.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely and thank you for the pictures. Need MORE closeups, please. :cheeky:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Last pics. On the right of the gallery was a separate display for topaz. Wow. I have never seen topaz like this. I am pretty hard to impress, and this was amazing. The colors remind me of the most beautiful sapphires, but topaz has a brilliance that I have not seen in saturated pink, orange or yellow sapphires. I understand why topaz in these colors are so prized.

photo_884.jpg

photo_885.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
You're so welcome Chrono. I wish you could have been there with me. You live near here, yes? I am in MD.

There were additional cases that were really beautiful, but I did not take pictures. There was a beautiful pearl display, and a display of materials that show adularescence and asterism. I tried taking pics of those, but the effect was lost in photos.

Going through the displays gave me a better appreciation of which specific types of stones show vivid color, and why these stones have a heavy price tag. I wish that wulfenite was a harder material.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, within driving distance, possibly 2 to 3 hours away. I am enjoying the pictures, putting my eye up close to the monitor, in futile hopes of getting a better look. :twirl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, let me know if you there is something you would like to see better. These are medium resolution pics. I can take the original high resolution pic and blow it up for you if there is something specific you would like to see.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These for starters. :lickout:

And thank you.

photo_886.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, some great crystals.....and very large yet lovely windowed stones!

thank you for sharing with us!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love stuff like this. People should also ck out the Grainger Hall of Gems at the Field Museum in Chicago!!!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Jeez, much nicer exhibition than the museums I've been to. Great pics for ogling. A red rhodochrisite like that... I need one!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Moviezombie, yes, there were a lot of windows. I could forgive the windows for the rare stones because they were still stunning. The Hope Diamond is also very gray, but it's fascinating to see this color in a diamond. It still sparkles. That's how I felt about the topaz; they carry saturated color so well, like a diamond.

Motownmama, Loverskites, I'm glad you're enjoying the pics.

TL, I am going over to your thread. Yeah!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Deskjockey, it's worth the trip. The gallery itself is not huge, but a piece of the Museum of Natural History. If you make a trip of it, and you want to play with jewelry, you could also visit Tiny Jewel Box in DC. The first floor has really nice designer pieces for shopping for erings and settings in general. I saw some lovely Sebastien Barier Jewelry pieces there. They also have a few of their own custom pieces with colored stones. The last time I was there, they had a stunning tanzanite that I thought was sapphire, and a small number of other colored stones (rubies and emeralds)

Martin Fuller is also located about 45 minutes away in VA if you want to get a top notch appraisal. He did an appraisal of my red spinel, and it was worth every penny for how much I learned as he examined it. Its difficult to find anyone who knows much about spinels (outside of PS!).

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I might have to, the trick is going without my 2 yr old full-time attendant. haha

My friends and I may go for the horse show later in October, so could probably work it in :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I go a few times a year. I'll take more pics the next time, but I also have my own small personal attendants. There was a blue topaz crystal the size of my head. A large portion of it was eye clean.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1410457731|3749143 said:
Moviezombie, yes, there were a lot of windows. I could forgive the windows for the rare stones because they were still stunning. The Hope Diamond is also very gray, but it's fascinating to see this color in a diamond. It still sparkles. That's how I felt about the topaz; they carry saturated color so well, like a diamond......!

I agree! as much as I dislike windows one has to accept that in certain sizes they are going to be there. most important is preserving all that color!

windowed or not I wouldn't turn down pretty much any of those large sparkly beauties!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad I asked for more pictures of the Reds. Mr. Chrono says thanks. :lol:

dms122500417.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The spikey spinel bracelet is like Medieval Biker Chic. It was more pink in real life, and less saturated.

The difference in the online pictures and what I saw in real life might be a reflection of the different lighting used for photos versus display. I noticed that the Smithsonian online pictures of their rubies are more towards orange (true red), than the rubies in person. In person, they look more pink (towards purple), but again that might be lighting. I am also very sensitive to pink, more so than an orange modifier.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely pics, thanks for sharing.

DK :))

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the post and pictures. I will take a visit too. I wish they have a Jadeite collection.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results