shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for pink or padparadscha sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tabulem

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''m looking for a pink or padparadscha sapphire for an engagement ring. I''m wondering if anyone has seen one that meets the criteria, or has ideas where to look...

The color I''m looking for is pink, like these:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Padparadscha/PA2132/Oval/stoneid=PA2132

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/11376

These may not be real padparadschas, because they''re too pink, but that doesn''t matter... I''m just looking for a stone that color, regardless of what it''s called.

These are oval, but I''m actually looking for a round cut. I don''t want it to be very big, probably around 0.8 carats would be right.

Maybe this one from planetarygems.com:

http://www.planetarygems.com/images/Pink%20sapphire%20no%20heat%206mm%20RD%20DIA%20pair%20SL08.jpg

It''s not quite the color I''m looking for, but it''s close. Also, it seems too cheap at $360. Here''s what they say about it:

Amazingly beautiful, unheated, top, pastel pink, colored sapphires, weighting 0.8 cts. perfectly executed, 6mm round, diamond cut, eye flawless, VVS type2 from the gem fields of Ratnapura, Sri Lanka. Well, this is a truly beautiful, very rare, unheated pink sapphire in a round, diamond cut that will charm your day and beyond.... Really classy and delightful, this will make the ultimate 3-gems engagement ring, perhaps with two white sapphires sides, rounds or trillions... No reserve and guaranteed a super, below wholesale deal!

I would appreciate any thoughts that any of you have.

Thanks!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you buy a gem from planetary gems, I''d make sure you can return it for a full refund if you send it to the AGTA and it comes back with results not matching what was advertised. I would just exercise some caution because the prices seem too low to be true...

What size were you looking for?

(p.s. the ring in my avatar is a pad, I''m a fan!)

tabulem

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your post. I think the ring in your avatar is beautiful. Your stone is very similar to what I am hoping to find.

To answer your question, I''m looking for something about 0.8 ct and/or 5.5 mm, and round. But I could be a bit flexible on these.

I agree the price on planetary seems too good to be true...

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
As for the one you put up. The one from the natural sapphire company seems to have a nice color and nice light medium tone. The cutlet appears a little off center, if that doesn''t bother you it is not a bid deal. The stone does not appear windowed.

The one from Wildfish is on hold, unless you put it on hold, I would keep looking.

I agree with MTG on the last one.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is more pink than pad. But I think it''s lovely and a very interesting cut. It''s also untreated and from Ceylon, which makes it a little extra special in my opinion.

Pink Sapph

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d look according to the mm size because the carat weight will give you different sizes depending on how the stone is cut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2009 9:34:08 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
A tad smaller than you like, but the color is to die for.

gemrite pad
LT,
That''s a lovely strongly saturated stone. I can actually see a blend of orange and pink in it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/9/2009 7:28:37 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
This one is more pink than pad. But I think it''s lovely and a very interesting cut. It''s also untreated and from Ceylon, which makes it a little extra special in my opinion.

Pink Sapph
MTG,
That''s a good pink sapphire option too. Nice pick.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2009 9:34:08 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
A tad smaller than you like, but the color is to die for.

gemrite pad
I love this one... I''ve been eying it, but not for awhile. would love to see a Pscprs get it though

tabulem

Rough_Rock
Both of the stones suggested are very nice, thanks.

I love the color of the gemrite one... I wish there were more pictures of it, to get a better sense of the color in different lights. It''s a tad too small but maybe it could work.
(http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=236

The other one has a beautiful color but I''m not that thrilled by the cut.
http://diamondexpert.com/diamonds/dbs.cgi?sf=detg.setup.cgi&active=active&stock=SA00108&submit_search=1

Has anyone seen anything else that might work? Pink/pad, less than 1 ct, and preferably round...

Also, any pics of pink sapphire engagement rings would be interesting to look at...

Thanks again.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some pics of my padparadscha e-ring. The stone is a 5.5X4.5 MM and it''s .82cts

pad%20b05312008.jpg
pad%20b02%2005312008.jpg

tabulem

Rough_Rock
Brandy, that is a beautiful ring. I''d love to find a stone exactly like that (except round!)...

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Something like this one?Mine is quite big,nearly 3 carats VVS quality.But it is very old(not the ring,the gem)and inherited.Its difficult to find the criteria you mentioned in such small scale-you can find them in 2-5 carat if you are lucky.Because,pink round are quite difficult to find,than pink oval(to save stone I think).

400-pink-sapphire-engagement-ring.jpg

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 11:08:06 AM
Author: tabulem

I love the color of the gemrite one... I wish there were more pictures of it, to get a better sense of the color in different lights. It''s a tad too small but maybe it could work.

http://diamondexpert.com/diamonds/dbs.cgi?sf=detg.setup.cgi&active=active&stock=SA00108&submit_search=1

Has anyone seen anything else that might work? Pink/pad, less than 1 ct, and preferably round...

Also, any pics of pink sapphire engagement rings would be interesting to look at...

Thanks again.
i''ve also been eyeing it. GORGEOUS color.

john is awesome...i''m sure if you contacted him, he could take a few more pis - on his hand, outside, etc. he''s really accommodating!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 12:31:54 PM
Author: karee888

Date: 7/10/2009 11:08:06 AM

Thanks again.
i''ve also been eyeing it. GORGEOUS color.

john is awesome...i''m sure if you contacted him, he could take a few more pis - on his hand, outside, etc. he''s really accommodating!
Add me to the growing list of people eyeballing that stone but not commiting to it for one reason or another.
30.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 11:55:03 AM
Brandy, that is a beautiful ring. I''d love to find a stone exactly like that (except round!)...
Thank you!

If I were you I''d go after that gemrite pad. Rounds do seem to be exceptionally hard to find.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The only reason I am holding off on the gemrite one is because I that stone will put me over budget for the year, and I already have 4 small round stones

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The gemrite one is lovely, but a little too "loud" for me personally. I like pads with a softer, more subtle look.

Still, it sure is a juicy color, reminds me of pink starburst!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
The gemrite one is an African Pad, I think they have brownish tones to them.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LT, I thought that I had read that somewhere, I am looking now.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well nuts, I can''t find the article, I thought I had saved it.

I know the pads from Sri Lanka , are delicate in color. The pads from Africa, like Gemrite are darker, with a tad of brownish/orangish overtones in them. If I am wrong in remembering the article, I hope someone will tell me.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah Linda, I remember reading that too. I want to say it was a r. Wise article or maybe in his book..

I''m out of town, but I''ll look for it when I get home if nobody finds it in the meantime.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, Linda, I read that about the African padparadschas as well but in the end, everyone evaluates each individual stone on its own merits. Just as not every Kashmir sapphire is a dreamy velvety blue, not every African padparadscha have brown undertones. I happen to like the "loud" coloured stones and not the Sri Lankan pastels as well.
9.gif

I'd ask for additional pictures though before ordering the stone BUT reserve it first before it disappears in someone else's shopping cart.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, if anyone else is worried, additional pictures and a conversation with the seller might solve that.

As for the undertones, I tend always look at the individual stone, as stones don't always read the books. But knowing that fact about pads from that origin, I would look harder for it.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s true Chrono, I love the Sri Lanka delicate pastel colors, but that is just me. I guess you can call me a Sri Lanka snob. ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 11:38:04 AM
Author: brandy_z28
Here are some pics of my padparadscha e-ring. The stone is a 5.5X4.5 MM and it''s .82cts

pad%20b05312008.jpg
pad%20b02%2005312008.jpg
Brandy,
That''s a lovely Pad you have there. (Threadjack over.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results