shape
carat
color
clarity

I'd like help refining my setting ideas for my spess.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I have a general aesthetic I'd like for my beautiful Jeff White spessartite. But I'd love some ideas on how to tweak the details on the style of ring I've chosen. I figured since I'm busy raising the funds I need to get this baby going, I'd solicit ideas.

I'm attaching pictures of the stone and the inspirational pictures. Give me whatever you got!!! :mrgreen:

JW spess 4.jpg

Singlestone BJ3171.jpg

image004.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
More inspirations

Onestonenewyork.jpg

Silverwoods.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Coatimundi's ring

Coati 1.jpg

Attachments

• coati 2.bmp
    23.8 KB · Views: 972

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really loving the Single Stone setting because it gives the look and presence of a bezel, but without the possible darkening that might impact the glorious color of your spessie. All the other settings are lovely, and I especially like the look of the brushed metal on the Onestone setting. That might make a striking contrast to the fire in the spess, and the gorgeous polish Jeff puts on his stones.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
The stone is 16 sided, with points in the middle of the sides and at the corners. Bezeling will be complex. Prongs, like the singlestone, but doubled to straddle the points, would be a good choice.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Good point, VL. I'd also consider this mounting in 18k yellow. This is the artist who will be creating the mount regardless of what I finally decide.

Adzia solitaire.jpg

il_570xN_291138909.jpg

il_570xN_291135379.jpg

il_570xN_291135843.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still like the "singlestone" setting the best because while it sits low (which enhances the orange color of the stone), it is still prong set, which makes it more easily maintainable. Bezels are ruined if the stone is removed, and they are quite costly to reset a stone in. Not a fan of bezels, especially for colored stones. Frosted surfaces are also harder to maintain and show scratches more than a shiny surface.

That being said, I love the bezel work on Coatmundi's ring, and I never saw such a sharp and even bezel, but again, it's a diamond, and not as hard to maintain as a colored gem (which can chip and scratch). If you ever need to remove the gem, then it's a problem.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My initial reaction to the single stone setting was a gasp because it "wowed" by being classy and edgy at the same time. Perfect choice! ....but... I also love the styling of the six prong adzia especially with the pave stones in the prongs!! Very cool! That would be in YG right?
Nice selections. Now you need to decide what shoul stand out -the stone (then I'd lean towards single stones setting) or if it is the ring setting then I'd pick the adzia option.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If I had that glorious spess, I'd want to let it shine right out there -- while I like the Adzia setting a lot, I love the Singlestone one. When I scrolled to it, I let out a "Yessss!" It sets the stone off really well & allows it to catch plenty of light. Modern to the minute but still graceful. Imho, that's a stone that doesn't want to be muzzled in a bezel. The Singlestone style might be less expensive to make, too.

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1325984087|3097530 said:
If I had that glorious spess, I'd want to let it shine right out there -- while I like the Adzia setting a lot, I love the Singlestone one. When I scrolled to it, I let out a "Yessss!" It sets the stone off really well & allows it to catch plenty of light. Modern to the minute but still graceful. Imho, that's a stone that doesn't want to be muzzled in a bezel. The Singlestone style might be less expensive to make, too.

--- Laurie

This exactly. the stone is perfect and the understated elegance of the Singlestone setting would allow it to shine

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I got a quote from Singlestone for $3700. :shock:

Uragem

Rough_Rock
May I chime in? I love love love the adzia, but I'm having trouble picturing the cushion in that setting.

When I picture your beautiful spess in the setting, the singlestone is glorious!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I love your spess and think it will look great with whatever setting you choose although I am not sure which setting I like better. Out of curiosity, have you ever used Adzia? I have a yellow sapphire asscher cut by Gary Braun and I saw a setting on their Etsy site that I think would look great for it. It was an expensive stone so I want to make the right decision as to who should set it. Anyway, sorry for the off topic question.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Cindi, I've used Adzia for two pair of earrings and the eternity band in my avatar. I LOVE her artistry and aesthetic! She's been great to work with. That's why I've tapped her to do this piece for me too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1325988586|3097588 said:

That's ridiculous for a setting with no diamonds. Get a quote from someone else for that setting style. It's not so unique that it can't be copied closely. I bet Leon could do it for less money. :sick:

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradable|1325989438|3097599 said:
Cindi, I've used Adzia for two pair of earrings and the eternity band in my avatar. I LOVE her artistry and aesthetic! She's been great to work with. That's why I've tapped her to do this piece for me too.

Thanks Uppy! I think I will contact her.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
I think your spess would look perfect in the singlestone-style setting, love how the gold frames the stone but is not a bezel.

I don't know if you saw my thread in December, but your earrings inspired me to send my sapphire to Adzia to set in that exact setting you pictured above? When Aoife posted Adzia's shop in my thread, I actually said aloud, "Omygod Uppy's earrings!" So thanks for the inspiration! :bigsmile:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-suggestions-please-sapphire-oval.169514/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-suggestions-please-sapphire-oval.169514/[/URL]

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the Singlestone setting! But the price is ridiculous! Seriously? I might use it as inspiration for my chrysoberyl, if thats ok? Your spess is so gorgeous! Congrats, I love it.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
tntyau, I'm so happy for you!! I love Adzia's work. Please make sure to read my earring thread though. Things seem to take 2x longer than she estimates, but it is soooo worth it! I can't wait to see the outcome. Your sapphire is gorgeous, and I love that you went with yellow gold!! I am convinced I'm going to use that mounting at some point! Please keep us updated.

Treebean, I think the mounting is beautiful too. I'm just trying to find a way to do it that doesn't necessitate selling my home. And of course you can use this as inspiration. I don't own the design, after all!! ;))

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
TL|1325989990|3097604 said:
Upgradable|1325988586|3097588 said:

That's ridiculous for a setting with no diamonds. Get a quote from someone else for that setting style. It's not so unique that it can't be copied closely. I bet Leon could do it for less money. :sick:
I've sent quote requests to Whiteflash and BGD too.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Uppy, thanks for the advisement re: time estimates, very good to know. I did read through your threads (including the one where the rubies/OMCs got mis-coded and returned to you in a very roundabout way, yikes!) Did she get better at estimating timeframes on your second set of earrings, and the eternity band?

At any rate, I'm pretty patient, wouldn't want an artist to do a rush job and your pieces certainly seem worth it! Thanks again for the encouragement! And also looking forward to seeing your spess project progress, it's so yummy. :love:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I made a montage of Coati's ring. I'm just using her's for inspiration. Each vendor giving me quotes asked for side shots.

Coati montage.jpg

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Her ring is awesome! Did she change from a bright polish to satin? Or is it just the photo? Either way it is gorgey.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I'm another vote for the Singlestone setting, it just seems sooo perfect! :appl: BUT $3,700 is a bit over the top. Hoping to hear that either BGD or Whiteflash can execute this at a more acceptable price.

On a different note, does the Adi Paz 'twig' setting hold any appeal? This is Cellentani's

cellentani-adi-paz-twig-ring.JPG

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I love the top, Singlestone setting, and the Adi Paz Twig setting. The others are meh. Beautiful spess :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote was clearly for the Singlestone before the price was revealed. Now I would vote for the Adi Paz Twig setting. I tried to do a search on this and cannot find a website or a formal name...is this shorthand for the name of the artist? Can someone provide a link so I can see what else they have?

Thanks

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hi MB...I saved that pic from PS - as you can see it's Cellentani's ring that I posted so a search through her topics will probably bring it up. However I just Googled this http://reviews.qvc.com/1689/J36883/...tone-ring-14k-gold-reviews/reviews.htm?page=4 If you click on the title on that page though there's some bad news in that it's no longer available.

Seems to me though that I remember this (or something similar) also being on Etsy? Can someone else help out with that?

ETA: so I just did a search here to find that Cellentani bought it two years ago from TJ Maxx - pity...at $128 it was definitely a lot less expensive :D

Then I hit Google again and came up with this http://www.melissaharrisjewellery.com/jewellery/citrine-ring/...but she's in Australia...oops.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Starzin, that twig ring is amazing!! I think the spess would look wonderful in that!! I'll bet I could get it recreated, and for much less due to the significantly smaller amount of gold needed. Maybe I could even afford 22K!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure someone like Daniel M could do this ring for a very affordable price, or many other etsy vendors, or Michael E?? I personally don't like the "twig" texture on the QVC ring, but you may. I prefer the smooth finish, like on the singlestone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results