shape
carat
color
clarity

Help wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shazbone

Rough_Rock
This post has been posted in the "Are we there yet?" forum, it was suggested that I post here as well.

I am about 90% sure my boyfriend is going to be searching for an engagement ring within the next few weeks! (So excited) The only thing is, he doesn''t know what I like. He does know that I do not want a diamond center stone, as we have talked about that in the past. I would like blue or yellow sapphires as the center stone, perhaps the only stone. How should I let him know this with out being too pushy or demanding? He asked me what I liked instead of diamonds and I sort of avoided the question, and simply said "something pretty". Ugh I don’t know why I get all silly about these things, we''ve been dating for almost 3 years! I just don’t want to take too much out of the surprise factor, or seem demanding, as his budget is about $1000-$1500. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Also, does anybody know of a reputable place to purchase a sapphire engagement ring, either online or in the DC area? I have been looking at some of the stones at www.thenaturalsapphire.com . Their pricing seems quite reasonable especially for the yellow sapphs.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Shazbone,

Firstly what is the color you want? Secondly what size and shape do you want the stone to be? Some stones like Ruby are not that expensive under 1ct but fine 4ct stones will cost you tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

For the money and sizes up to 2cts, I like:

GARNETS:

Green (Tsavorite), Red (Pyrope), Orange (Mandarin)

SPINEL:

Blue, Pink, Orangey/Red, Pure red are very hard to find.

Garnet and spinel stones are untreated as far as I know right now though I have heard that not all blues are natural.

SAPPHIRES:

Come in every color and quality. Are harder but also much more expensive for the size and most are treated.

TOURMALINE:

Every color but soft

Go to this link and look at the stones to decide what you like. Also check out the hardness. An engagement ring is worn daily so the softest I would go is garnet.

http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/gem-by-gem.html

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the direct method is the best to say what you want! Good way to lead into a marriage!

But there are ways to dance around it -

What’s your stance on treatment of sapphires? An interesting way to bring this up your guy may be to say something like “Hey honey, I saw something online the other day - did you know most sapphires are heated to get their color?" Then say something about how you feel about that - whether you care - or don't care about treatment - , and then add "and I do like those wonderful blue and yellow colors of sapphires!"

A less direct method may be to talk to someone he is close to - a male friend, his dad, his brother, or someone - and try to say something about how much you love blue and yellow sapphires.

The natural sapphire company is a reputable place and they seem to have a few rings within your price range - I like J118! .

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Woops!!! I read your original post quickly at work and didn''t see you had already decided on the stone you wanted and just wanted to know how to broach the subject with your boyfreind. I think Bertrand''s suggestion is great.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, Bertrand, I like J118 also!

Shazbone,

How do you know he's going to start looking for engagement rings? If he's been obvious about it, I'd tell him that *if and when* (just throw that in to pretend like you don't actually know he's going to be looking soon) he starts looking, you'd like to be involved. Tell him it'd mean so much more to you to be involved in the process, and if he's big on secrets, maybe you could pick the stone and he could pick the setting. That way, you don't know what the ring will look like at the "big unveiling"!

Da Moose

Rough_Rock
Shazbone,

So I can give you advice from someone on the other side as I''m in the process of buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend now. _EXTREMELY_ glad we discussed it quite a bit beforehand. My view, yeah I''m spending the money and yeah I should make the choices but I''m not wearing it. More importantly, I want to get something that makes her happy. Odds of that happening are much higher discussing it than not talking about it beforehand. And honestly, from my perspective, nothing could be less useful or more annoying than saying something pretty (not trying to be a jerk, just my view on being told that).

3 options off the cuff:

1. Talk to him about it. Just sit down and do it.
2. Make an email or folder with stuff you like. Give it to him. Say I know it''s your decision but i wanted you to have the information around for whenever you get around to thinking about it.
3. Send him a link to this thread I think the way your phrased things here portrays you in a positive light and it would let him know what you''re thinking of.

A response to something in your other thread, cushions might be the most common sapphires. So you certainly can get one of those. Though remember that for the same carat weight sapphires run smaller than diamonds.

I''m going through natural sapphire company and so far the experience has been extremely positive.

Good luck, espeically to him. ;-)

Da Moose

Rough_Rock
And since I''ve gotten way too familiar with the natural sapphire co website some that look good to check out Y478 and Y542 Y115.

All look like really nice stones and there''s some variation in price range depending on what you want to do for a setting.

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
Well, shazbone, you''re posing quite a loaded question, which perhaps may be more suitable if addressed to a marriage counselor.
17.gif

At least, you''re quite considerate by indicating you don''t want to push the matter too much. Maybe you could just continue along this line.

Alternatively, you could start the approach in dealing with this matter by discussing about the gentleman''s engagement ring (if there''s such a thing in your culture). A gent''s ring is plainer, could be just plain gold or platinum; so you''ll still end up with more - just joking. Of course, I don''t mean to say that financial advantage is being considered in such a romantic matter.

In addition to sapphires, there''s cubic zirconia (CZ) and even lead crystals, both simulating sapphire. But the budget you have indicates you can have a sapphire of one carat or more, so you may not wish to consider simulants.

E B

Ideal_Rock
shazbone,

Do you like the halo look?

http://www.billbarnes.com/product.asp?product=11658

shazbone

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your advice, Da Moose, coming from a boyfreind who is buying an engagement ring, hope all goes well. Your statements opened my eyes a bit more about the situation, and I believe the best thing to do is just tell him what I''d like. I laughed, btw, when you commented on my "something pretty" reply. That was a bit silly, I know
20.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I think that you should JUST TELL HIM!!

As for colored e-rings.. you go girl!! I know that you said that you like yellow sapphires and blue sapphires. I think many people (not ness. your case) come to this site and think about ruby and sapphires as being the only 'colored' gemstones that can be used in E-rings. There are many beautiful stones out there that can be used as a gemstone.. and ones that are untreated and well within your price range. Take time to browse and see what is really out there. And if in the end... if the sapphire is the way to go.. then go for it.

When I first started looking I feel into the only ruby/sapphire trap as well... but after I started doing some research, I figured out that threre were some VERY scrumptous stones out there... in yellow and in blue colors... Spinels can be blue and yummy, citrines and garnets are awesome too.

This could be a way tp help you talk to you FI.." You know honey, I have been thinking about how much I like the idea of a colored stone for an E-ring, I think it would be cool and unique.. I think I am going to start looking at some of the stones that people use for their rings, you wanna look with me? Or I could just do some research and show you my favorites" Of course... I am sure that you will do better. But formost, you have to tell him.. otherwise.. you will regret not being honest and you may not be 100% happy (you know I am right everyone.. we love our men.. but that does not mean that we are 100% happy with all their choices.)

Be sure to check out the Colored Gemstone thread.. it will give you a little inspiration... You never know what color you may just fall head over heel in love with.

Good Luck!

Da Moose

Rough_Rock
Shazbone,

Glad to hear that I was some help. Hope you can have a good discussion with him about what you want. Remember, we''re idiots. Don''t hint. Tell. If there''s something you don''t like and don''t want under any cirucumstances tell him. If there''s two styles you''d be happy with tell him. I''m sure he''ll be happier and less stressed out buying something he has a pretty good idea you''re oging to like.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may be worth mention here that sapphires are smaller than diamonds for the weight... and unheated ones expensive!

If yellow is a choice, than yellow sapphires look allot better if the color is stronger. Light colored ones are not such close contenders to light yellow diamonds as one might think - basically, these guys could have good brilliance if cut for it, but that rarely happens and yellow is not a deep color.

Not that I have anything against yellow sapphires - this is just a rather general statement thrown into the mix after seeing the couple of yellow options mentioned.

Here''s another... blue-ish, 2 carats and a nice cushion shape (IMO). I am not sure if ''fancy color'' even was on the list - just thought I''d mention rather than not because this one appeared to be among the unconditional nicer and relatively large options in the price range in this shop. Also, this seller is very strict with their color classification - there are plenty of violetish-blue sapphire sold as ''royal blue'' and what not - delightful colors anyway. Since this sapphire company considered them non-blue, the price tag suffers
2.gif

Along these lines, this is U434 And a contender: U445
U434_1_th
U445_1_th

Size: 8.18 X 6.14 X 4.51 Size: 6.68 X 6.44 X 5.10
Weight: 2.1 cts Weight: 2.16cts
Color: Violet, Intense Color: Purplish blue, Medium strong
Price: $1228 Price: $820

Despite the pictures, the squareish one sounds (and looks, actually) tempting for the price - if anhyone wonders what is it doing here. It is deep cut with a slightly offcenter pavilion, but... lets face it, there are positive things about a deep cut sapphire: brilliance, depth of color and the potential of an ptimal recust - something that shallow cuts do not accomodate. The price seems to account for that at least relative to comparable offerings of the same shop.

The other one doesn''t seem to need any intro, if I am not mistaking.

Perhaps the other''s picture looks nicer, but that is just a picture.

I am not sure if the pictures are totally accurate showing actual color, even the verbal description doesn''t quite tell me which is what! That much for knowing colors... without a Pnatone sampler infront.

All in all, I would not use these pictures as the definitive indication of how these guys would look side by side in nature.

It is fun to make these posts
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[after computer crash]

There are a few blue sapphires at another shop - some heated some not but all with AGTA reports, which is a useful piece of paper for the matter of heated/unhetaed. One would wish to have some hint at color grading there, but... Anyway,

Here's one contender nice cushion, some inclusions but nothing glaring, 7mm, 1k.

Does anyone like lighter blue? This one comes at 3 cts for about the same money.

And then... there's always room for something more conventionally beautiful about 1 carat (left. below).
The piece to the right is something else.

5060bsapph.jpg
4528cobaltspinel.jpg

Sure enough, it is up to each seller to clarify color and quality details that may not be aparent in photos. That is always the case. For these stones, all you see is all I know as well.

On top of that... I know I like light blue sapphires next to little diamonds
2.gif
But that's just me... and I am thinking of some pretty darn remarcable bits of light blue sapphire when saying this (see below). The workmansip that went into the respective pair of earrings is superb allright, but the sapphires are no less light violetish-blue for that matter. And it is not usual to see this shade into such jewels anyway. Hope you like them too
1.gif

lightblues.JPG

shazbone

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Valeria for your input. Is this blue sapphie worth the effort? I really like the color.
Item ID U545, $504 dimensions: 7.47 X 5.83 X 3.07 @ thenaturalsapphirecompany.com

B545_1.jpg

shazbone

Rough_Rock
Anyone know anything about green sapphire?

U438 from thenaturalsapphirecompany
$512, dimensions: 5.76 X 5.71 X 4.32

U438_1.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/24/2005 11:51:32 AM
Author: shazbone
Anyone know anything about green sapphire?

U438 from thenaturalsapphirecompany
$512, dimensions: 5.76 X 5.71 X 4.32
That is fantastic!

They have several fine green sapphires...

What I know about the is not much: actually, there are so few with a pleasant green color (green enough, not bottle green or gray aquamarine blue that is called green and not parti colores), that they are desirable collection colors.

The one you show there is just great! (not yellowish, fresh pastel color, probably quite brilliant looking at the cuts).

These stones have a look of their own - green sapphire can be a great green (on the rare occasions when the color is pleasant in its own), but there is no confusion with emerald or tsavorite - the traditional green stones. These are brighter to beginwith. Someone who loves green sapphire, does so for what these stones are on their own. The stone you picked may remind of light gree grossular garnet - another relatively unusual collector stone and definitely no less expensive.

The blue oval I do not love as much - the color is nice (for me, even if it may not be mainstream violetish blue, but it surely is strong as much as one can tell from a picture). But the stone is shallow, probably windowed and some inclusions show there... Hm... I would definitely take the green one!
9.gif

From all there is on this page, this green one and U445 (above in my post) would make my cut this far, keeping things under 1k. But that is just me, and the sapphire is for yet a third person.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
U111 ?

oh... whatever....

This is it I just could not find beter color and cut among the fancy sapphires in this shop. Well, IMO, of course.

shazbone

Rough_Rock
I think I am leaning towards the green one myself, but I wonder what type pf setting would look the best. Perhaps with small sidestones?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have this nice white gold halo setting... and I'd go for it for the green one. Actually, that halo is nicer (IMO) than many I see made for diamonds around here.

Now, the pictures show green, but the description says 'olive' - I hope this one looks like the picture, not like a green olive (brownish)!

I've just realized that the link to the nicer sapphire in my previous post is broken. Here it is the culprit attached - I could really nort believe the color and cut on a relatively small piece like that. It would usually take allot of mass to reach such a color and vivid intensity. Besides, this cushion cut is as good as any of the finest in the shop (and that is allot said at Walter Arnstein!). What can I say... this just happened, once this is out (along with the couple of larger ones with similar pedigree) I will mourn it unless I get it
11.gif
There is no other purple gem to boot - aside amethyst... but that one in nowhere as bright and this warm shade never happens in it. With such a good cut, this one would go between sidestones - for an engagement ring. If it ends up mine, it would be a band ring.

vividpurplesapphire.JPG

shazbone

Rough_Rock
Dimensions: 7.26 X 5.68 X 4.85
Item ID B550 from thenaturalsapphirecompany.com
Carat weight :1.82
$591
side:

B550_2_th.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Shazbone, that stone is gorgeous!
30.gif
Do you know what kind of setting you''d put it in? I think a diamond halo would be gorgeous, but a nice sleek platinum setting would be beautiful too.

shazbone

Rough_Rock
Here are the other two contenders (B550 is the first):

U453, the purple that Valeria posted, and this bright yellow Y522, both from thenaturalsapphirecompany.com

here is yellow:

Y522_1_0822200555506PM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results