shape
carat
color
clarity

help ~ feedback re: peridot

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
(starting a new post because I don't want to threadjack rinni's....)

I am not only a newbie to PS, I am also just starting to learn about colored gems, period. I realize so much goes into the value of a gem, some of which is entirely subjective (sentimental value, etc.) That said, no one wants to over-pay. I have been visiting a peridot lately, a lot. I would love feedback on its price. Knowing it's not particularly collectible and all that.., also knowing I keep going back to it.

Burmese peridot
6.73ct
scissor cut, emerald shape; 12 x 8.9 x 6.8mm
flawless @ 10X (per vendor's response to my e-mail inquiry)
$670

Litnon%20peridot.jpgLitnon%20peridot%202.jpg

vendor says mirror shot is most accurate representation of color (but I also read in another thread that this vendor's lighting can misrepresent gems)

Thanks for any feedback ahead of time! =)

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not keen on peridot because it tends to have a greyish cast, and it's also rather soft and doesn't have the best luster. I can think of other yellowish green stones I'm a lot more fond of, chrysoberyl for example, and some tsavorites are yellowish green, and at least have nice sparkle. Sorry, not a fan. I think in this instance, you're paying more for the large size of the stone, rather than the color. Peridots tend to go up in price as they go above three carats as they are more rare in those sizes. That being said, olivene (the mineral name for peridot) is sometimes found in meteorites, and I think those are cool for the fact they came from outer space.

However, again, if you love it, that's another story, and I thnk that's a fair retail price for that stone of that size. Don't pay a lot for peridots under three carats.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This peridot is expensive because of 3 things;

its clarity, its color, and its size.

Its RARE for peridot to ever be pure green. the less yellow and gray tone, the more green, the more money.

IF YOU REALLY LIKE PERIDOT, then yes, this is one you should consider. the price is good for the size and color.

Mine is a 6ct peridot with a awesome green color. Larger peridot can look kinda greasy in direct sun. I like that but not everyone does. However I will say this, that stone will also tend to hold its color in most every light as long as the cut is there.

If you're not sure about spending that much on this stone, get something smaller. Maybe even start at 3cts.

My peridot is also from pakistan, purchased from litnon.

greenindoor2.jpg

Not direct sun so you can get an idea of what it tends to look like most of the time.

Burma has some of the most lovely velvety peridot I've seen, though I also like pakistan material as well. (I don't like the chinese stuff though)

Do not forget to ask about the pricescope discount if it applies to this stone (it dosen't apply to all of them). it could be a substantial amount off.

Peridot IS collectable at the larger sizes. just an FYI =) But no, its not going to be everyone's cuppa tea.

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
like they said, but I would add that the dimensions show it has good depth but the photos make it look like the crown is very shallow, and there is not a clear profile shot to support or disprove this impression. A shallow crown means less lively in the sparkle department. I think in this price point that should not be the case.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went back to read what it was. its Burmese peridot, which does have a premium attached. Even if cut slightly shallow, the color and clarity can and sometimes does trump that. Peridot over 5cts and VVS? thats very hard to find as most peridot will have some sort of inclusion (be it lilypad, pepper type, what have you). 100+ per ct for the size in the shape the stone is in isn't exactly unheard of. The larger stones are almost always cut deep to preserve color.

At a gem show I saw a burmese peridot that nearly made me lose my mind! 10cts AMAZING color and exceptional clarity the cut wasn't perfect but I would have been just swell with that..... I would have had to hock my car for it though as price per ct was also in the upper stratosphere.

At any rate, just because you can, dosen't mean you should. OP, my advice to you is to do some reading about peridot before you decide to go with such a large and costly size. Some of the ones in the 3ish ct range may also be up your alley too. Also, different locations can look a little different. The beauty of it being a 1 color stone is that you can easily decide which location you really like the best.

-A

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
TL, Arcadian, and VP ~

First, thank you very, very much for your input. (I had typed a reply earlier but my computer lost it somehow.) I am definitely taking your responses into consideration.

I have actually started a list of the gems I am drawn to (ranging from interested in to ga-ga over). Crazy, I know.

I did e-mail Michael back and ask about a Litnon PS discount. Thank you, Arcadian. I don't know anything about it. Is it just @ Gemline or ??? I realize it may not be inclusive of this particular gem.

I actually truly do like peridot. I have a small, light green peridot from my teen years. My aging hands have outgrown the stone now though. Funny how that happens....

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

~ faegrace

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its not so crazy to have a list of stones...trust me :saint: In fact I think that its good because 1. if you stick to the list, you won't spend too much and 2. aids in helping you learn about the stuff you're really interested in.

I've always been drawn to the greens that peridot can produce. Sometimes the greens are minty, sometimes they're quite neon with a hint of yellow. And sometimes, like the one I saw at that show, they just beat you over the head they're so pretty. (I wish I had gotten pictures!) Certainly there are the odd and obscure regions (Vietnam anyone??) And that can make it kind of fun to hunt. Plus, in sizes at about 3-4cts, and you don't mind a few inclusions, it can be quite inexpensive.

If you're planning on setting it, especially at the size it is, do make sure you go to someone who knows how to handle stones softer than Mohs 8. I set mine into a ring though its not a daily ring.

You're off to a good start, and you know what you want. I would only say be educated about it so you make the best decision you can for yourself.

-A

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the photo the peridot looks to be quite a nice green - if you end up purchasing it I look forward to hearing what you think of it IRL.

Just as an fyi: I made a couple of sizable purchases from Litnon a few months back but had not learned of the PS discount until recently. At the time of the purchases, email communication from Litnon was responsive and timely. But more recently when I emailed them about the PS discount, I received no reply whatsoever. I followed up several times over the course of almost 6 weeks, thinking there may have been some kind of email glitch, but to this day have never received the courtesy of a response.

So while I was happy for the most part with the stones I had purchased (only returned one stone out of a number), I was disappointed in the customer service enough to decide to put my gemstone dollars elsewhere - if they can't be bothered to respond to my emails about the PS discount, I don't feel I can depend on them as a vendor. This is just my experience, and I know others are satisfied with Litnon.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It happens that I love peridot too. There were some from litnon that I was thinking to get but they were gone by the time I got around to it. I snoozed and loozed. Here are some of my favorites, untouchable by mortals. 22 carats, 90 carats, 137 carat and 10 carat. wow

Peridot22.jpg

Peridot90.JPG

Per137-505.JPG

Lg-PeridotSqCush10_14ct.jpg

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
VL ~

I am picking my jaw up off the keyboard. OMG!!! Those are enough to make anyone green. Thanks for sharing.

~ faegrace

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats what I'm talking about :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: I got shivers.....

@marymm, I can only speak for myself when I say I've never had a problem getting in touch with Michael even asking about a stone that may have a discount on it... (though I will admit I can be a bit impatient sometimes when I want to buy something.) I generally give 1-2 days for emails to any vendor as a courtesy.

-A

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[@marymm, I can only speak for myself when I say I've never had a problem getting in touch with Michael even asking about a stone that may have a discount on it... (though I will admit I can be a bit impatient sometimes when I want to buy something.) I generally give 1-2 days for emails to any vendor as a courtesy.
-A[/quote]

Yes, I actually give a wider courtesy window for email replies, 3-4 days in general. As to this situation with Litnon/Michael - three weeks passed between the 1st email and the last email I sent (I think in my prior post I mis-typed it was 6 weeks, but it was only 3 weeks)- since I was an established customer I really can't understand why he failed to reply at all. Again, this is only my experience, and although I know others are satisfied with Litnon, my experience has taught me that in my case, they are an unreliable vendor. I kind of feel like I'm shooting my own foot by not continuing a vendor/customer relationship with them because they do have a wonderful selection of gems, but then I think "what would I do if after a purchase I had a problem and again I had no response from them?" and I conclude I would be foolish to put out money knowing customer service is lacking at least in my direction.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the photos, I wonder if it's going to be overly dark? That would make me hesitate. If Litnon have a good returns policy then go for it if it's calling you!

I actually like Peridots to have a touch of yellow because (for me) it tends to make them more vibrant like the Burmese one photographed above.

Here's one of mine. It was under $50 but it has an amazing impact (much more so than the camera has captured).

Peridot2.JPG

Peridot1.JPG

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
All the peridot I posted above are Burmese. The deep green is quite unusual. I think the color is real but exaggerated by the dark background. The very size of the stones also contributes. I think the last one would look more saturated photographed on a black background too. As it is, it is likely more representative of what it would look like in real world environments. Which I think is still pretty fantastic and rare.

As for michael being unresponsve, I remember a few or more months ago everyone was having trouble reaching him and it turned out he wasnt getting the emails or something like that. Does anyone else remember that, and maybe with better detail than my memory?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish the first and third peridot above were not photograhed on a black background, so I could see the color better. Black backgrounds often enhance color, and I get leary of dealers that only use black backgrounds. The third photo (of the oval) also looks a bit enhanced. If you look along the facet edges, they appear a bit grainy. I would be suspect of that photo.

I have seen very very nice peridot, but they are very rare. Most are washed out yellowish green, and their softness does not lend them well to rings. A very large, fine peridot, will be very costly, if you can find one. If you are looking for peridot, Arizona, Pakistan and Burma have nice quality. I would avoid Chinese peridot as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

LD, show them your cushion sphene, now that's a yellowish green stone that rocks!!!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
I am still waiting to hear back from Michael @ Litnons re: the PS discount but I am keeping an open mind about my next gem purchase. I revisited some smaller peridot and even a couple on par with this one. There's a nice sized cushion from Arizona but seems a bit dark and more of an olive tone. I am not wanting a lot of yellow.

(On a completely different note, I am getting very excited to see the CAD imges for the chrome tourmaline ring.., should be here no later than Tuesday.)

I wonder, how many projects, on average, per year do most PSers have going...? LOL

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I looked at the Litnon site earlier and on the homepage it said they were ending the Pricescope discount later in the month. I looked again just now to get the date to post and it said it ended on the forth!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
DS ~

Thank you for seeing that. Guess I overlooked it somehow....

~ faegrace

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry, thought i'd mention it as I'm not sure if many people have seen it yet. It's a shame really.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1299435997|2866100 said:
DS ~

Thank you for seeing that. Guess I overlooked it somehow....

~ faegrace

Make an offer than, it can't hurt.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
faegrace|1299435698|2866096 said:
I wonder, how many projects, on average, per year do most PSers have going...? LOL
I have 16 engagement rings, a couple RHRs, several necklaces, a few pairs of earrings and just based on that, I'd rather not think about it!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
TL ~

I've never done that; what would be reasonable, you think?

FC ~

LMAO

I think I need an 'I'm turning 40 (in 10 days), I beat cancer (this exact time last year), and single mom to a four and one year old' ring! How does that sound? A celebrate TODAY ring.... :)

~ faegrace

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deathspi|1299435771|2866098 said:
I looked at the Litnon site earlier and on the homepage it said they were ending the Pricescope discount later in the month. I looked again just now to get the date to post and it said it ended on the forth!

Hmmm, I think it is strange Litnon posted the notice today (Sunday Mar 6th) on the website but backdated the effective date to Friday Mar 4th - I know for sure that notice wasn't posted on their site until after 12pm today (EDT).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1299439982|2866144 said:
TL ~

FC ~

LMAO

I think I need an 'I'm turning 40 (in 10 days), I beat cancer (this exact time last year), and single mom to a four and one year old' ring! How does that sound? A celebrate TODAY ring.... :)

~ faegrace

Well, I would start with 30% off as was the original PS discount. ;)) The worst he can say is "no" or counteroffer. I have heard Michael is reasonable to deal with.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL ~

FC ~

LMAO

~ faegrace

Now that sounds like something to celebrate! Congrats on your forthcoming 40th but more importantly a huge hug for beating cancer! You deserve to treat yourself!

TL asked that I show you my Sphene. This is another green stone that has impact. The dispersion is amazing and if you like peridot you may find you're a Sphene convert also!

Sphene1_1_1 trim for PS b.JPG

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
marymm|1299441465|2866160 said:
Deathspi|1299435771|2866098 said:

Hmmm, I think it is strange Litnon posted the notice today (Sunday Mar 6th) on the website but backdated the effective date to Friday Mar 4th - I know for sure that notice wasn't posted on their site until after 12pm today (EDT).

I thought it was weird that they stated a later date and then changed their minds. Oh, and when I said 'earlier' I only ment by an hour or so before posting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL ~

FC ~

LMAO

~ faegrace

BTW, I just saw your last sentence after I wrote about the offer amount, and congratulations on all of the above!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I used to have a love/hate relationship with peridots. It is my birthstone and all of the "birthstone" rings I'd ever seen were pretty nasty looking IMHO. THEN in the 1990's I saw a HUGE peridot pear ring in a jewelry store on the Island of Kauai and I almost passed out it was sooooo gorgeous. It was also extremely expensive, but at least it showed me that you CAN get a gorgeous peridot.

I have been chasing a perfect "peridot" since then. I have an inexpensive (not ugly, I just didn't spend much) peridot from China (8mm set in an eRing) and a larger 10mm one that is from Pakistan that are pretty similar in color. The 10mm is going into a pendant some day. I also have a 4.54mm cushion and an 8mm cushion from Burma that are nice that I would like to have set someday, but I don't have a good picture of those yet. For some reason I just can't get my head around spending a LOT of money for a peridot even though I like them now - but that may be a throw back from all the ugly ones I saw in birthstone rings. My Burma stones are all pretty much in the "apple green" color range. I don't care for the ones that have more yellow than mine (my two rounds are at the edge of my yellow tolerance in peridots). If I want more yellow with my green, I'll go for a different gemstone. I know mine have more yellow than the first ones that VL posted, but for what I paid, I'm ok with that.... I just don't like MORE yellow.

I really do like the first one VL posted :love: and the color of the one the OP posted on the face down photo looks to be a nice color also.

I must say, I do get compliments on the eRing, which for some reason surprises me... I just always figured only August babies liked peridots :confused:

8mm_peridot.jpg

10mm_peridot_3.9ct.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1299442383|2866180 said:
TL ~

FC ~

LMAO

~ faegrace

BTW, I just saw your last sentence after I wrote about the offer amount, and congratulations on all of the above!

I agree with getting a "celebrate today" ring!!!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what posts since this morning! Thank you so much!. And the pics too, gorgeous :love:

I have a definitely newbie inquiry, not exactly based on this thread but what precisely is a "window" in a faceted gem? A place you can see through? :oops:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results