shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey Spinel Fascination

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Spinel in general fascinates me, and lately, I've had a fascination for grey spinel in particular. And there's a little project somewhere down the road flickering in the back of my head that needs a 6-6.5mm stone...

I saw that there's a grey spinel on DB right now that's 6mm but it looks kind of darkish to me and I'm guessing would darken more in a setting. Would you say that's a fair assessment? I don't know nearly enough about colored stones.

I think the color I am looking for is something light and silvery maybe with hints of purple or blue. Would something lighter like that keep from blacking out too much in bright light? Does anyone have a suggestion where to look online for a stone that size in a not overly expensive price range?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would depend on the lighting condition at the time the picture was taken. It also depends on whether the setting you plan to use is very open or enclosed, and also the lighting condition of where you will wear it most often. Blacking out will depend on the cut since the tone of the stone will be very light. The deeper the gray, the more likely it is to black out.

Are you tied to a particular shape and /or carat weight? What is your definition of overly expensive?

Sakag

Rough_Rock
Yay, another grey spinel enthusiast! :appl: I bought a blue-grey-lavendery one from Gemcal earlier this year. It's an octagon, though they did have some rounds last time I checked. Here's the original thread with hand shots, so you can see the color (there are also comparison shots in the vendor pics sticky thread): [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pendant-mount-for-blue-grey-spinel.185576/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pendant-mount-for-blue-grey-spinel.185576/[/URL]

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Frekechild has the most amazing medium grey spinel cut by Barry. I had the pleasure of playing with it last weekend, and it blew my mind. Full of sparkles, didn't black out, and it was firey... something I didn't expect. I was so enamoured that I forgot to take pictures. Sorry.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1362001447|3392051 said:
It would depend on the lighting condition at the time the picture was taken. It also depends on whether the setting you plan to use is very open or enclosed, and also the lighting condition of where you will wear it most often. Blacking out will depend on the cut since the tone of the stone will be very light. The deeper the gray, the more likely it is to black out.

Are you tied to a particular shape and /or carat weight? What is your definition of overly expensive?

Thanks Chrono-

Mostly I am in natural and diffuse incandescent lighting during the day.

I was thinking a few hundred max and the shape will need to be round 6-6.5mm max. That's kind of why I looked at the one on DB. I think it's interesting that it's been diamond cut and wonder what that does to the way it acts with light? Are there certain kinds of cutting styles that will tend towards black out in a colored stone?

http://diamondbistro.com/index.php?a=2&b=33549

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Sakag|1362001813|3392056 said:
Yay, another grey spinel enthusiast! :appl: I bought a blue-grey-lavendery one from Gemcal earlier this year. It's an octagon, though they did have some rounds last time I checked. Here's the original thread with hand shots, so you can see the color (there are also comparison shots in the vendor pics sticky thread): [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pendant-mount-for-blue-grey-spinel.185576/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pendant-mount-for-blue-grey-spinel.185576/[/URL]

Oh my goodness- that is lovely!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1362001887|3392059 said:
Frekechild has the most amazing medium grey spinel cut by Barry. I had the pleasure of playing with it last weekend, and it blew my mind. Full of sparkles, didn't black out, and it was firey... something I didn't expect. I was so enamoured that I forgot to take pictures. Sorry.

Don't worry- I totally know how that goes! :lickout:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been the owner of a few gray spinels. A few points on the spinel you are thinking of:

1. That spinel was $45 directly from the original vendor. The price on DB is unreasonably high.
2. That particular spinel is too dark for what you're looking for.

Gray spinels don't often get cut because there isn't a huge market for them. Cutters often consider them to be basically trash, so they might keep the rough, but won't cut it unless an oddity like myself, or another gray lover comes around and specifically requests it. I currently have three: 1 elongated cushion that's almost black from GemCal, 1 medium colored round that was custom cut for me by Barry B, and one silvery round that was purchased from Jeff Davies.

- almost black elongated cushion from GemCal is over 2cts I think, and was roughly $100
- medium round from Barry is 7mm and 1.6cts and was somewhere around $180 (been around 4 years since I bought it)
- silvery round from Jeff is 7mm, 1.41cts and was around the $100 mark

Gray spinels should be pretty dang cheap for decently larger sizes because the color isn't in demand.

I can post some pictures of mine if you'd like!

6mm_spinel.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would check with Jeff Davies on his Facebook page, as he's had 4 in recent history (the round that's on DB, the silvery one I bought, a larger octagon, and a large round) and they have all been precision cut.

Here are a couple pictures of the one ForteKitty is talking about. (She also has a gray spinel she needs to post pictures of!)

I got it so long ago that the loose pictures of it are pretty awful (proof that my camera skillz have gotten better!) so I won't post any of those!

img_6936_freke.jpg

gray_spinel_diffused_cloudy_skies_freke.jpg

gray_spinel_cloudy_day_freke.jpg

silver_nails_and_gray_ering_freke.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dark gray from GemCal

It is terribly difficult to photograph because it is almost black, so I haven't exactly attempted it much!

dark_gray_spinel.jpg

gray_spinel_necklace.jpg

_4055.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1362002945|3392081 said:
I would check with Jeff Davies on his Facebook page, as he's had 4 in recent history (the round that's on DB, the silvery one I bought, a larger octagon, and a large round) and they have all been precision cut.

Here are a couple pictures of the one ForteKitty is talking about. (She also has a gray spinel she needs to post pictures of!)

I got it so long ago that the loose pictures of it are pretty awful (proof that my camera skillz have gotten better!) so I won't post any of those!

Oh yess- I have seen pictures of that ring. That is one I have slobbered over in the past. Beautiful- seems just right! Love the setting as well. So pretty together....I will do as you suggest and check Jeff Davies.

Hmph- and thanks for the heads up on the one on DB! Would you say that the one you have is definitely lighter than the one from him that is posted on DB? (I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of color I should look for in a photo if I like the color of yours.)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Her pictures do not do it any justice. It's so amazing in person, I almost ran off with it until I realized she still had my diamond. :cheeky: My grey spinel has nice color but it was a recut so the crown isn't as high so it doesn't sparkle quite as much. I'd love to get my hands on one just like hers!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to have another gray spinel that came from Dan Stair that I called the Darth Vader spinel, because it was also almost black, but threw off the craziest colors when the light hit it just right.

Here is the newest one from Jeff Davies!

gray.jpg

gray2.jpg

img_2088.png

img_2090.png

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1362003499|3392091 said:
I used to have another gray spinel that came from Dan Stair that I called the Darth Vader spinel, because it was also almost black, but threw off the craziest colors when the light hit it just right.

Here is the newest one from Jeff Davies!

LOVE them both!!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1362003433|3392090 said:
Her pictures do not do it any justice. It's so amazing in person, I almost ran off with it until I realized she still had my diamond. :cheeky: My grey spinel has nice color but it was a recut so the crown isn't as high so it doesn't sparkle quite as much. I'd love to get my hands on one just like hers!!
Oooo!!! I'll trade you my gray for your diamond! TOTALLY an even trade!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
bastetcat|1362003329|3392086 said:

Oh yess- I have seen pictures of that ring. That is one I have slobbered over in the past. Beautiful- seems just right! Love the setting as well. So pretty together....I will do as you suggest and check Jeff Davies.

Hmph- and thanks for the heads up on the one on DB! Would you say that the one you have is definitely lighter than the one from him that is posted on DB? (I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of color I should look for in a photo if I like the color of yours.)
Yes, mine is definitely lighter than the one from him that's posted to DB. I'd guess that that one is somewhere between my Barry and my cushion from Gemcal, which I think is darker than what you are looking for.

I have to ask! What is the project you are thinking of using it for?

ETA: And you're welcome. :wink2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A gray spinel should be one of the least expensive colours of spinel as they aren't in demand. The one on DB is well cut but looks too dark in both the vendor's picture and it looks as though it blacked out in one of the hand shots. I don't this is the stone for you since you mentioned wanting something silvery and light.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1362004230|3392104 said:
bastetcat|1362003329|3392086 said:

Yes, mine is definitely lighter than the one from him that's posted to DB. I'd guess that that one is somewhere between my Barry and my cushion from Gemcal, which I think is darker than what you are looking for.

I have to ask! What is the project you are thinking of using it for?

ETA: And you're welcome. :wink2:

If I got one for a nice price right now, it'd probably go in a pendant for a while, but later, I'd love to do one in a ring with a colored stone. It's just going to be a more long term project for that because I've got a couple of other things on the agenda I'm saving for first (insert larger OEC here). If they aren't too expensive, like you have pointed out, shoot- I might be able to dabble a little bit now and later too! :naughty:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1362004371|3392107 said:
A gray spinel should be one of the least expensive colours of spinel as they aren't in demand. The one on DB is well cut but looks too dark in both the vendor's picture and it looks as though it blacked out in one of the hand shots. I don't this is the stone for you since you mentioned wanting something silvery and light.

Thanks Chrono- Y'all are right, and Frekechild clued me on on that one.

@ Frekechild: Are the two rounds you have diamond cut like the one on DB? I think that is something I would like.

I've put jeff Davies FB on my follow list, so I can hopefully keep up with new items as they appear.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
bastetcat|1362004789|3392114 said:

@ Frekechild: Are the two rounds you have diamond cut like the one on DB? I think that is something I would like.

I've put jeff Davies FB on my follow list, so I can hopefully keep up with new items as they appear.
I believe that Jeff has a precision cutter cutting for him now, so I'd have to assume that the DB stone and the one I'm attaching are from the same cutter. You can almost see arrows in one of the pictures I posted above (I'm not used to photographing arrows, so I didn't realize it until I uploaded it).

In the pic I'm attaching, the diamond cut one is on top, resting on a setting. The one below is the Barry one - his stones are cut more like OECs - the give off blocky chunks of light.

I just took a video of the Barry stone, and I'll upload it to my youtube channel in a little while - then you can get an idea of how it behaves.

img_2097.png

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1362006600|3392134 said:
bastetcat|1362004789|3392114 said:

I believe that Jeff has a precision cutter cutting for him now, so I'd have to assume that the DB stone and the one I'm attaching are from the same cutter. You can almost see arrows in one of the pictures I posted above (I'm not used to photographing arrows, so I didn't realize it until I uploaded it).

In the pic I'm attaching, the diamond cut one is on top, resting on a setting. The one below is the Barry one - his stones are cut more like OECs - the give off blocky chunks of light.

I just took a video of the Barry stone, and I'll upload it to my youtube channel in a little while - then you can get an idea of how it behaves.

Thank you! I'll keep an eye out. SInce I love OEC's as well, I'm not surprised I like the look on your Barry. They are both lovely though! I think I'm more flexible than I thought color wise. I just know I want it to be bright like those! (So I figured I need something very light.)

I love my little Mahenge and every time I see a colored stone I like, it seems it's either a yellow sapphire or a spinel of one color or another....now back to my scheduled pre-test paper grading chaos. Taking breaks to look at the pretties keeps me sane.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke,
Do you have a preference for one cut style versus another? I would think that a chunky OEC style cut might be better suited to a spinel rather than a diamond round brilliant cut. What do you think?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't post it directly, but you can find my channel easily on youtube. It's the most recent video.

The 6 prong ring is another Barry spinel, but it is basically colorless.

barry_spinel10.jpg

barry_spinel5.jpg

bb_spinels3.jpg

bb_spinels6.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1362008553|3392154 said:
Freke,
Do you have a preference for one cut style versus another? I would think that a chunky OEC style cut might be better suited to a spinel rather than a diamond round brilliant cut. What do you think?
I prefer chunkier cuts, pretty much always. I think between the two spinels, the lighter Jeff gray and the Barry gray, I prefer the color of the Jeff gray and the cut of the Barry gray, but again, that's probably because of my general preference for chunkier cuts. the both have excellent polish and cutting though, so there isn't really much of a difference between the way they perform. I think it's like comparing an MRB to an OEC!

Very difficult question!

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could see a gray spinel in person! Gray is one of my favorite colors IRL, but I have a lot of trouble seeing the potential in photos. But since I now own a Mahenge spinel, I can appreciate the spinel refraction, and I'd love to see a gray one in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see the appeal of the lighter gray, especially with precision cutting, as it would really bring out amazing sparkle, so yes, a JD light gray spinel with chunky Barry faceting would be the perfect combination.

Sakag

Rough_Rock
That light grey one... drooool. That's pretty much my dream color for the ring I want next! So lovely! :love:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1362082470|3392863 said:
I can see the appeal of the lighter gray, especially with precision cutting, as it would really bring out amazing sparkle, so yes, a JD light gray spinel with chunky Barry faceting would be the perfect combination.

Ooo- that does sound like a great combo!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Hi bastetcat, I'm a fan of grey spinels too, all grey gems actually. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mastercut Gems, as Dana Reynolds cuts a lot of grey spinels including chunky antique style cuts. I bet he has things he hasn't had time to list, or maybe more rough.

Here's mine. I planned to have it set into a ring with these garnets. I have the setting and everything, but I got distracted with bigger projects and kind of stalled out (for now). It measures 6.1mm and I think the garnets are 5mm.

p9220036__640x480_.jpg

p9220028__640x481_.jpg

p9220008__640x480_.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a lovely combo! A touch of traditional with a touch of something different.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results