shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost of top color ruby

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Weird question..does any know a rough estimate or round about what a top top ..best color ..heated or unheated...VVS or VS ruby would cost .. size 1ct rough estimate please..in your opinion

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Burmese origin, top vivid color, unheated, VVS? I would say at least $15K, if you can find one. However, do know the price rises exponentially, and I mean like a super steep hill, once the size goes up. Heated, maybe $6k/ct.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
wholesale, retail, auction house? Pedigreed or no-name? one carat total? 12-35k with the high end being a heated bid war at christie's geneva or hong kong for an exceptional piece. SOOO glad Im not in the market for one! But then IF I were in the market for one, then things would be going pretty darn good!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amguy,
You do know that such a stone should have papers to accompany it, and be deemed exceptional color by a reputable lab that actually knows how to qualify color (not many do) like the AGL. I don''t trust "pidgeon blood" on many lab certs, too ambiguous.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Don''t think i have one, want to get one(i don''t like rubies), or would even have the money..was just curious what a rough price would be for a 1ct stone of that quality

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2010 12:22:49 AM
Author: amethystguy
Don''t think i have one, want to get one(i don''t like rubies), or would even have the money..was just curious what a rough price would be for a 1ct stone of that quality

I don''t think they''re digging up rough like that anymore. It''s all old cut stones (if only I could time travel to the roaring 20''s). Maybe get to know Laurence Graff?
31.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
thanks guys
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Timmy paid $10k for his stone that was just over a carat and looked pretty close to top to me. His pics and thread are on PS - just do a search on his name.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora,
Was it heated/unheated, and certified as Burmese?

ETA: I only found one thread with Timmy in it and it was about a diamond. I'm dying to see this ruby.
31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is a top untreated ruby of very fine colour and eye clean clarity will run at least $10K/ct and upwards. Unfortunately, such material cannot be found “new”; most would be estate pieces. Even the recently mined Winza rubies are not red enough for me.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
okay..another hypothetical situation..say you have your top top ruby as descibed above by TL and others burma locale.etc..etc.. what would the roughy price difference in your opinion be from say a .98ct top ruby and 1.02ct same exact ruby..identical..how much effect on price does the 1ct mark have on a stone..I am sure it has to be some..even though the difference is .04cts. that mark of 1ct. has to have an effect..how big is that effect? even on .04 difference?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You do know who the best person to ask would be? Richard Hughes. I'm unsure of the price jump from just below a carat to over a carat, but I am guessing that it wouldn't be too much of a difference, like a diamond (big price jump from just under to just over a carat). I could be wrong. Fine clean untreated Burmese rubies are so rare and hard to find, they are valuable in any size.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
okay..thanks TL..lets not use the ruby as an example. but any stone..how big a difference does the 1ct mark or any ct mark 2, 3, 4 , etc. make for a stone price wise using the same example above .04 difference?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2010 11:53:24 AM
Author: amethystguy
okay..thanks TL..lets not use the ruby as an example. but any stone..how big a difference does the 1ct mark or any ct mark 2, 3, 4 , etc. make for a stone price wise using the same example above .04 difference?
It depends on the stone. For example, aquamarine, not a big difference or any at all. Diamond, yes, big difference.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
yes yes..you are right about that..in a diamonds case i think that the price would jump a fair amount from a .98ct to a 1.02ct...good stone example..thanks

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interestingly, it can go the other way as well Amguy. For example a 3ct Tanzanite will command a slightly higher price per carat than a 10ct Tanzanite. Over a certain carat size the price goes down slightly per carat. Not by much but it still does.

Going the other way, take an example of Alexandrite. .95ct not too expensive. 1ct much much much more. Then the prices rises expotentially with each carat mark. For example the cost of a top quality 5ct Alexandrite based on $ per carat will be much much much higher than a 2ct Alexandrite of the same quality.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD is correct; pricing can go either up or down at different carat marks for different varieties of gemstones, but in the case or rubies, all variables being equal, there will be a price increase at the 1 ct mark. I do not know how much the price jump is because there are too few examples around to observe.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Per carat prices of stones like citrine can also go down after a certain mark, cause there just isn''t much of a market for, say, 70 carat stones.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Pandora, it''s always a treat to see a fine ruby on PS.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s one of my favorite rings of all time, it''s a Burmese ruby. It belongs to Elizabeth Taylor. Richard Burton spent years looking for the perfect one. This is a scan of the ring from a photo in her jewelry book. It looks horrible here, but it''s so beautiful in the book. I wish I could find a good online photo of it because it literally takes your breath away, as a true fine Burmese ruby should.

burtonruby.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 11:01:16 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Thank you Pandora, it''s always a treat to see a fine ruby on PS.
He spent 15 months searching - very romantic story behind it all as well.

Here''s a pic of the stone and ring for those who don''t want to wade through the thread:

ruby113.jpg

Check out the AMAZING prongs on this setting!
30.gif

bondanza1345.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a dream of mine to own a fine Burmese ruby one day. Maybe if I win the lottery!! Thanks again for the link and photos Pandora. He has a very lovely piece.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results