shape
carat
color
clarity

Yay! My new Sapphire Carmose (Cluster/Halo?) ring

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Well if anyone has followed my unhappiness with my engagement ring setting, this is one of the pit stops towards a resolution. During my waffeling over what to do regarding my setting, I found a lovely carmose ring ( don't know what to call it in English). Imagine my shock when I found out that the sapphire it currently contains is pretty much a match to my OMC. Pretty much the same shape and incredibly the measurements are very close. The sapphire is 6.9 x 6.0mm and my OMC is 6.89 x 6.17mm. Since it is a prong setting it should work to put my poor OMC in this new setting.

Well since I have to be complicated I went and fell in love with how the setting and the sapphire looks together :oops: .

The ring kinda looks like the little sister Princess Diana/Kate's engagement ring. Same color sapphire included. The sapphire is that typical really dark blue but when the light hits it goes all blue flashes. Also it has some abrasions to the facet edges near the table.

The ring is from 1945 so it has some issues that need to be fixed, several prongs need retipping. So as soon as I have decided what to do with it it is going in for a complete refurbishment.

The head is 18kt white gold and the shank is 18kt red gold. It has 10 five pointers, H color and SI, probably leaning towards transitional cuts. They are definitively not modern cuts.They are nice and firey in practically every lightning situation.

So what do you think? With 5-pointers is it a halo or a cluster?

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
On to some really bad photos. They always seem to come out all dark/ yellow. I am actually very pale and the diamonds are white white but you don't see that in the photos. Oh and the sapphire is definitively not grayish.

sapphire1.jpg

sapphire2.jpg

sapphire3.jpg

sapphire4.jpg

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Here comes a photo of my OMC and one with both the OMC and the sapphire. As you can see the bezel on the e-ring has really killed the performance of my OMC ;( . It just to be a fireball with all the facets taking turns at blinding me. Now it is a dark moody stone and the facets under the table do nothing at all. And the finish annoys the heck out of me.

What do you guys think, will my OMC look good in the carmose ring? I am a bit worried that it will look like one huge diamond ball.

If someone with photoshop skills could help me put my OMC where the sapphire is I would be eternally grateful.

OMC1.jpg

OMCSapphire.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like your new ring. Not too sure how your OMC will look in it though...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new ring is lovely natascha!

And y'know what... if you have someone local you'd trust with the job, why not give it a go? It doesn't seem like all that complicated a transfer into the new one, it's just prongs, right? Would you be devastated if your bezel needed to be taken apart to get the stone out? You'd want to have someone check it over to make sure your OMC will fit well, though - that the undercarriage is sufficiently deep, that care is taken to align the prongs well so that if your antique is slightly out-of-oval it's not glaring in the new very-symmetric setting... It really doesn't sound like you're happy with your current ring, so what's there to lose? I don't think it needs to be technically perfect - none of the old multi-stone rings I've seen ever were, it just needs to be beautiful and charming and they look like a great fit for that, if the stone actually fits well!

I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing that gorgeous stone in an antiquey setting again :love: Your original setting gave me the shivers, it was magnificent!

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
THis is a very quick and dirty PS job. I love the ring with the sapphire as well as with the diamond. Maybe you could get a setting made like this one for your diamond?

photoshop ring.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous new ring! I would give the center stone swap a try if I were you. I hope you love your diamond in the new setting!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Pixgirl- Thank you so much! It looks better than I expected with a diamond in the middle. Oh I wish I knew PS, it really helps to get an idea of how it will look. I love both too! I have been toying with the idea of a plain red gold shank and the tiny bezeled diamonds creating a halo with some filigree underneath.

Yissi- Great points. The depth won't be a problem since my OMC is pretty shallow, only 3.26mm if I remember correctly. But the symmetry thing could be an issue, my baby has a chip on one of the corners and this could be a problem. Yeah my OMC does not like being in a modern setting, they just don't suit each other. The old setting currently has the same problem actually. I wear it as a RHR with a dark blue spinel but since it is a modern cut I don't think they suit. Will probably end up resetting that one too with something in an antic cut.

Amy's bling- Thanks and what do think viewing the mockup Pixgirl created?

Thing2of2- Great another vote for trying the switch.

Centralsquare- Ain't it purty?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see the outcome of your new project! The new setting is gorgeous, and, based on Pixgirl's pic, your OMC would look stunning in the setting!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I followed your other thread, I'm so sorry you are going through this trouble with your custom ring. I think your OMC would look incredible in your sapphire mount instead, and let your OMC shine again.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Ooo I love chunky antique halo rings! I think its beautiful with the sapphire but will look great with your diamond too :love:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just gorgeous, I love that style of ring. I say give er a whirl with the diamond. If you don't like it, pop the sapphire back in. YOu don't like your current halo anyways, so no harm no foul.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results