shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do? Appraisal Question / HRD Cert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
I bought a Fancy Yellow diamond ring a few months ago. I thought everything was fine and now I am kinda stressing out again.
emsmileo.gif

I bought the ring from a jeweler I worked with 6 yrs ago in DC. I was in California visiting family and I thought if I buy from her, I wouldn''t have to pay sales tax (plus, I trusted her judgement). She found a ring from a designer in NYC she has known for years. The stone''s HRD certificate states "Fancy Intense Yellow - Natural colour". She sent the ring to me and I liked it. For peace of mind and to see if the HRD cert checks out, I took it to an independent appraiser (Master Gemologist Appraiser) and everything seemed to check out at the time. Cut was good, Clarity SI1, Color - Fancy Intense Yellow (or so I thought she said).

I am now in the UK and I received the appraisal in the mail. The color states Fancy Yellow. I contacted the appraiser to see if it was really Fancy Yellow or if the "Intense" was mistakingly left out. She said her notes state "Medium Yellow" and she wrote Intense on her notes after seeing the HRD Cert. She said Medium Yellow is Fancy Yellow according to the GIA.

I now have to submit something to the insurance company. I have the appraisal from the Jeweler in DC - which just re-states the HRD cert and has a high dollar amt. Or, should I use the independent appraisal with a lower dollar amt and lower "yellow" color? Both are more than what I paid for the ring. But, if I were to have to replace the ring with another "Intense Yellow" diamond, I wouldn''t be able to do so with the dollar amt on the second appraisal.

Sorry for the rambling. I guess I am trying to decide if I like the ring as much now that it is fancy yellow. I did shop around at shops to compare yellows. The nicest shop in town had tons of Fancy Yellows but they were more on the lighter side. I didn''t get to compare with many Intense Yellows. I know there are many shades of yellow in between grades and I thought I just had a "lighter" intense yellow.

Thanks for listening.
19.gif

SHould I contact the Jeweler in DC? I don''t expect her to do anything since it has been 2 months since I bought the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results