shape
carat
color
clarity

Three stone or solitaire for engagement ring?

Would you choose a solitaire or a three stone for an engagement ring?

• vatche x prong solitaire

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • vatche three stone truffle

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
We have finally narrowed our e-ring search down to a couple of choices - either the three stone vatche truffle, or the vatche x prong solitaire.

What do you think - is a solitaire better for an e-ring, because you could upgrade later? Or go for the three stone right away?

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
By the way, these are both for rounds - if we do a three stone, it would be with a 1 ct center, and .5 ctw sidestones. If we choose the solitaire, it will be around a 1.3ct.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I guess my answer is: it depends! Some women (and men!) are very sentimental about their e-ring and don''t want to upgrade. It is harder to upgrade a 3 stone than a solitaire. If you plan on getting a bigger stone someday, then I would say take the solitaire. Depending on what size you upgrade to, they may or maynot be able to put it in the same setting.

I think it also depends on what you want to do for a wedding band. I personally don''t like the look of a 3 stone ring with a band, as I think they have their own presence. I love the look of a solitaire with an eternity band.

Both are beautiful choices and you can''t go wrong with either. Good luck!

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Pebbles - I don''t know if I''d want to upgrade to a larger solitaire, but I could see still craving the three-stone and wanting to upgrade from the solitaire to the three-stone! I thought it was awfully pretty. It is very difficult to match it with a band without a significantly larger gap, however.

I guess I also wasn''t sure if a three-stone is more reserved for an ''anniversary ring'' than an engagement ring.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
While the solitaire is the most traditional e-ring setting, the 3 stone is becoming quite popular. I have a few friends with 3 stone e-rings and they all wear a band with it. I''m not sure if any of them are planning on upgrading (if they do probably not until at least the 10 year mark or so) but they all love the style.

If it were *me*,
2.gif
I really like the 3 stone ring so that would be my choice. If I wanted to upgrade my stone along the line, then I would just have the side stones taken out and have a new setting made.

With the Dvatche settings, if you do really like the solitaire, I think you will have trouble finding a band to sit flush. I don''t like the ones dvatche makes b/c they curve around the setting. Some people don''t mind the gap with a straight band, but it would bug me.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for a solitaire since i''d want to maximize the size of the center stone and you can always add sidestones later. But then you''d have to change the setting so i guess it really depends on how sentimental you''d be about the setting. For some reason, i''m more attached to my stone than the setting but i guess it depends. Then again, if you like the 3-stone better, you should just go for the 3-stone right away. Sorry, i''m just no help.
1.gif

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
That is helpful! I have exactly the same thoughts, so at least it helps me think I''m not crazy! I know I could always convert my solitaire into a three stone, or get a three stone as a RHR. I don''t think I could just get another solitaire just for fun, other than for an e-ring....

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I have the dvatche x prong solitaire. I just bought it as an upgrade setting. I love it! I had trouble finding the right band. The gap bugged me when I tried a straight band, but I wasn''t sure what I thought of the vatche curved band. I ended up getting the curved band and am happy with it now that I''ve gotten used to it. I like when things match exactly. In the process, I found that a diamond band that is very low in height fits quite nicely with the vatche solitaire. At this time I couldn''t spend the $ to get a diamond band up to the specs I wanted, so I decided to get the plain band and hope for the diamond band in the future! Some people posted that they thought the dvatche x prong solitaire + matching band is too thick, or too much metal. I didn''t find it to be true for myself, and I have thin to average (5.75) fingers. I found it to be proportioned nicely, not to thin, not too thick.
I''d recommend just trying them on in person if possible. You''ll probably know what feels right to you. In my opinion there is something traditional about a solitaire that appeals to me. The dvatche x prong is a little more interesting than most soliataires. I just love it! And this way you get a bigger center stone.
My uncle, a jeweler, said that the 3 stone was a marketing ploy cooked up by DeBeers to play on peoples emotions (past, present, future) and all the jewelers jumped on the bandwagon - to help them move more stones (they sell 3 at a time, not one). He said at that time there were a lot of smaller stones in inventories and they were trying to move them as sidestones. Since hearing that it makes me less excited about the 3 stone, since I hate buying into a marketing ploy :) He explained it better, but that was the general idea.
But I don''t think you could go wrong with either.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
PS, it''s also my opinion (and a lot of people disagree, but just MY opinion) not to upgrade the stone. My attitude is get the stone that you want for a lifetime, if you possibly can. We were just out of college when we got engaged and were deciding between stones in the 3/4 range and the 1 carat range. I told my then-future fiance that if he splurged I would never want to upgrade, but if he got a smaller one, I probably would. He surprised me with a 1.13, bigger than all the ones we tried on together. Over 5 years later I have many friends who waited to get engaged until after their careers started taking off and have far bigger stones, but this one still satisfies me. I''ll always remember shopping together and then the big proposal! For some reason I have NO problem upgrading the setting or even the wedding band. It is the diamond that carries the significance for me. So also along those lines, I''d get the 1.5 now and if you wanted to add sidestones later (maybe with big anniversary or baby) you always have the option...

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
Hi gailmrv - thanks for the input. One of my hesitations with the vatche x prong is what kind of a band to wear. I do want to pick a band that can be worn alone, because I''m sure there will be occasions when I don''t want to wear my e-ring. What kind of a diamond band did you find, if you don''t mind me asking? Is it a channel-set?

Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted solitaire x prong...I think it''s a great setting for a solitaire and will pair wonderfully with various wedding bands. I also am more traditional solitaire for engagement and 3 stone for an anniversary or just to mix it up later.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi Maddie!
I found a couple bands that I liked. One was a channel set very thin (2.5 mm?) eternity band with round ideal cut diamonds. Once I saw the price tag ($2600 at my B&M, probably less online) I realized the hubby would not go for it right now, so I didn''t bother getting more specs.
I also tried on bands with about 0.5 c of princess cut stones (not eternity) which looked great too! If you haven;t already, check out the facets collection of signed pieces, http://www.signedpieces.com/facets.cfm. Their selection is amazing. I found that the higher the wedding band comes up, the more there is a gap with the x prong. If the w-band is really low, it seems to almost slide in under the prong and have a barely noticeable gap. (I am really picky.) One nice thing about the x prong is that many band styles seem to look nice with it. Oh, I also tried on one eternity band with alternating diamonds and sapphires in channel set eternity. They had both princess and round. They were awesome!
Ya know, I always thought I would wear my band alone sometimes, but after 5 years of marriage, I really don''t! I find that when I am working with my hands I usually take off both rings. But that''s just me! Vatche also makes several styles of diamond bands that curve to match the x-prong, but of course, those wouldn''t do to wear alone.
Some of my friends have gotten a diamond band to wear w/ their e-rings, and then a very plain and simple wedding band to wear when doing things like yardwork, etc, where they wouldn''t want to mess up their nice rings. That idea might work for you, i.e., get the vatche x prong + vatche curved band, diamond or not, + a really simple WG band.
Just some ideas! This stuff is so fun!
Gail

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Gail - that makes me relax a little. I had read so many things on PS about people having trouble finding straight bands that do not create a large gap with the x-prong solitaire. We are going to look at the rings one more time for our (hopefully) final decision this weekend, and I will be sure to look for a couple of bands with lower profiles to try on with the solitaire. I love the idea of the tiny channel set!

I suspect I won''t be wearing my band alone very much either, but just in case.... :) I love your set with the matching band though, it was one that I looked at!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the solitaire. To me, a 1.3 carat solitaire is very striking. And you can always add side stones later!

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
I also voted solitaire, I just love the simple look of a solitaire for an e-ring. I would love a 3-stone for a RHR or to wear in place of the e-ring on certain days for the future, though! Good luck on your decision!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi Maddie,
Let me know what you think when you are looking at the bands! I still have my heart set on getting a diamond band too (someday hopefully not far away!) I''m interested to get your opinions on what works/doesn''t work.
Thanks for saying you like my matched set. Ya know, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the X prong soliataire, had been drooling over it a long time. I like, but don''t love, the curved band. But I do love that it is the perfect match. I also feel that the Vatche quality is much better than other rings I''ve had in the past, so I''m very happy about that!
Let me know how your band shopping experience goes! Good luck!
Gail

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I find the look of solitaire styles more appealing than three stone, so I voted for the single 1.3 ct diamond ring simply based on asthetics alone. If you really like the look of a three stone, I say go for it now rather than getting the solitaire and planning for an upgrade. You cannot predict what''ll happen in the future and if a house is a goal of yours or traveling, etc., you may end up waiting many years (more years than you want to) and regret not getting what you wanted when you had the chance.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think many people tend to look at a 3 stone ring as an anniversary ring because the companies have done such a good job marketing them as such. I know many people that have 3 stone rings as erings. I say get what you want now. Then you won''t have to upgrade later. I started out with a solitaire and now have a 3 stone but my sides are pears. Good luck in choosing!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi again!
I agree with the recent PSers who said, go with what you like the best. My last couple posts I was singing the praises of the solitaire. I realize that is because that is what I like the best - but this is your ring!! You are lucky to be able to get a good size stone either way, so I think you should go with whatever look is most appealing to you. The other PSers had a good point too, why pine away for something for years if you can have it now. Which look is more "you"?
Also, what wedding bands go with the 3 stone vatche? I didn''t ever try one on, so not sure! Would a straight band work?
Good luck! Keep everyone updated with your decision!
Gail

KSparkles

Rough_Rock
Hopefully this will upload - it''s a pic of my 3-stone ering (center stone .79 carats, sides .3 each) w/ my 7-stone wedding band (.31 carats tw). I think it sits nicely together, even though it''s not curved or sold as a set. It''s also a truffle setting (ering), and the band is a low-profile shared prong setting. Don''t mind the yellow-ness of the diamonds - it was taken under a yellowish light! Hopefully this will help you get an idea of possible wbands for the 3-stone ring!

47b5cf34b3127cce951bf592f85d00000016109AbNmTZy1bo

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2005 8:27:35 PM
Author: Mara
I voted solitaire x prong...I think it''s a great setting for a solitaire and will pair wonderfully with various wedding bands. I also am more traditional solitaire for engagement and 3 stone for an anniversary or just to mix it up later.
I agree. I voted for the solitaire because I think that solitaires are just so classic and beautiful, and 3 stone rings remind me of anniversary rings. It would be a great reason to get another fantastic ring for an anniversary-then you could have the best of both worlds!
2.gif

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I like the look of the three stone truffle more than the x-prong, so I voted that way. I''d say to go with a center stone that''s just under a carat and then get a very thin eternity band for your wedding band. I agree that you should get what you want now and not plan on an upgrade because you never know what will happen in life. Have you tried both on? What looks better on your hand?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the solitaire. It''s just more pleasing to my eye than a 3-stone. Also, you''ll have more flexibility in pairing almost any kind of wedding band with a solitaire than you would with a 3-stone. If it''s more bling you''re after, then you could go for a solitaire and get a plain wedding band AND a diamond band! ;-) I now have a plain band and an eternity band to go with my solitaire and I love being able to choose a band to go with my mood each day.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted for the solitaire setting. I personally do not like three stone rings of all the same shape. (like three RBs). I prefer the sidestones to be a different cut (but that is just me) It also seems if you want to upgrade it would be MUCH easier to do with the solitaire.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I voted for a solitaire. I love the look of a solitaire because it puts emphasis on the center stone and it means you can get a bigger center stone. If you want to do a 3 stone later on, you can, but I''d focus on putting more money into one stone. You can see where my priorities are, hehe.

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the great advice! You guys mentioned stuff we didn''t even think of.

KSparkles - I love your set, it''s very similar to what we were looking at!

Gailrmv - I will let you know! We are leaning a little more towards the solitaire, just because we could always save the three stone for an anniversary and then have the best of both worlds! I liked the look with a tiny channel set band (just over 1-pointers - looked gorgeous and sat practically flush!), so I think that''s where we''re leaning. That way I''d have something with a little bit of sparkle even on those occasions where I wouldn''t want to where my e-ring. (Those come up fairly regularly with my job.)

We are going to look at the solitaire settings later in the week - I''ll keep you posted! We want to look at the actual channel-set x-prong as well. :)

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
For sxn675 - I''m not sure what looks better. The three-stone is definitely more bling, but I have small fingers and hands (Ring size 5+), so with a band it looks a little more heavy. It might be best as an anniversary ring to wear on its own. The solitaire looks nice by itself or with a very small (2mm) channel set band.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
hello! i voted for the three stone..but then again, i guess im biased since i recently got my new three stone (as u can see in the avatar)...i love the look of the solitaire, but for some reason, it just didnt look quite rite on my finger..therefore, the 3 stone idea came in.. in the end of the day, u should go with something that u like and think looks good on ur hand..try them both on and compare them next to each other and see what u think! (if u would like to see more angles of my ring (also in a truffle setting) please PM me ;-) )

KSparkles: love your ring and band together!! im sort of stuck coz i am not sure which band would look good with mine..my center stone is 0.64 ct with 0.4 ct each for the sides (tcw 1.44)...would love to see more pictures and side shots if possible!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results