shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your I and J color diamonds in halos!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post your pictures please!

Do you notice a color difference between your stone and the halo? Does it bother you? Do you think your stone looks more or less tinted now that it is in a halo (if you had it in a solitaire at some point)?

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
OH! I want to see some also. I've been considering a new setting for awhile now, but have not taken the leap because I"m not sure how a J would look in one.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, Oh!!!! :bigsmile:

Dreamer, anything you want to tell us?

Has Charypoo's amazing halo pushed you over the edge? :lol:
(I know, because I have already gotten quotes for my AVC!!)

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
susimoo said:
Oh, Oh!!!! :bigsmile:

Dreamer, anything you want to tell us?

Has Charypoo's amazing halo pushed you over the edge? :lol:
(I know, because I have already gotten quotes for my AVC!!)

It certainly has my wheels turning! LOL! Just gethering data at thing point.

I think eventually I would like three rings -- a halo, a three stone, and a smaller RB in an etoile style setting. Having all three would be a dream come true. Maybe I should work to that instead of trying to satisfy it all with one diamond?

Anyways, I know there are ladies out there. I have been searching and have found a few, but I will keep looking.

Von03

Shiny_Rock
This is my 2 ct., I, SI1, criss cut cushion in my precision set halo mounting with matching band. I don't think my setting makes my stone look warmer in the least. I love halos and love the presence the setting and the stone give.

IMG00141-20091207-1234.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an I colour but has strong fluor. I've since re-set it - nothing to do with the colour matching but because I just didn't like the actual shape of the halo!!!

I didn't see any difference in colour between the main and accent stones BUT the strong fluor means I very rarely see colour in the centre diamond anyway.

Diamond Pear 8 outside in dull sun_1_1.JPG

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer D-

I like your style :naughty: I would also love

1. classic solitaire (my Ering is 1.55RB with an eternity RB band) CHeCK!
2. a three stone ring
3. a halo ring

hmmm, and I would like on of those rings to be either an asscher or emerald (step cut... halo or 3 stone?)

:appl:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer -- I think your stone would be wonderful in a halo. Melee always looks whiter to me, even I-J melee, but the nature of the sparkle and scintillation of the melee is so different from that of your big rock, that I don't think it's going to be an issue. You could also consider single cuts for your halo -- they tend not to have that "white dot" look that full cut melee does.

I love your project list -- great plan.

Here's my grand plan:
1. Halo (check).
2. 3 stone (colored stone with diamond sides -- preferably step cut).
3. Etoile bezel with small ideal cut diamond. I considered this setting for my current 1 carat stone, but you are right, this setting looks best with smaller stones (.40 - .60).

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Von03 said:
This is my 2 ct., I, SI1, criss cut cushion in my precision set halo mounting with matching band. I don't think my setting makes my stone look warmer in the least. I love halos and love the presence the setting and the stone give.
Von03...beautiful rings...do you have a SMTB thread for it? Would love to see some profile pics. PlEASE!!! :love:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Portree said:
Dreamer -- I think your stone would be wonderful in a halo. Melee always looks whiter to me, even I-J melee, but the nature of the sparkle and scintillation of the melee is so different from that of your big rock, that I don't think it's going to be an issue. You could also consider single cuts for your halo -- they tend not to have that "white dot" look that full cut melee does.

Here's my grand plan:
1. Halo (check).
3. Etoile bezel with small ideal cut diamond. I considered this setting for my current 1 carat stone, but you are right, this setting looks best with smaller stones (.40 - .60).

My hesitation has been based on comparing my J to 5 point melee, but I don't know if I would feel the same with 1 point or smaller melee...

But should my diamond go in the three stone or the halo? That is the conundrum. My diamond would be a rather humungous halo!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, you and I need a "how do I reset my diamond" support group. I've been going on 3 years undecided, so I guess I'm just going to go for a different/better solitaire.

I think that your diamond would look stunning in a halo or 3-stone, so I am no help!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here's my 1.4 carat I in a Beverley K halo. I don't notice any difference in the color.

newpicbevk3a.JPG

Von03

Shiny_Rock
Taylorbug! said:
Von03 said:
Von03...beautiful rings...do you have a SMTB thread for it? Would love to see some profile pics. PlEASE!!! :love:
Taylorbug, I do have more photos if you look in my profile under "most active" it's listed, I think, as my 20th anniv. upgrade. Sorry didn't want to hijack dreamer's thread.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I have a J in a G color melee platinum halo and I notice no difference in color, ever. The melee are about as small as you can get though, .01 carats each.

It's the same setting as Uppy's and I think it probably helps my color perception that I can't really see through the pavillion of the diamond due to the filigree on the basket.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
vespergirl said:
Dreamer, you and I need a "how do I reset my diamond" support group. I've been going on 3 years undecided, so I guess I'm just going to go for a different/better solitaire.

I think that your diamond would look stunning in a halo or 3-stone, so I am no help!

haha! You need one of each, that is what I am concluding for myself :Up_to_something:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
Portree said:

Here's my grand plan:
1. Halo (check).

My hesitation has been based on comparing my J to 5 point melee, but I don't know if I would feel the same with 1 point or smaller melee...

But should my diamond go in the three stone or the halo? That is the conundrum. My diamond would be a rather humungous halo!

Yes, your diamond would be a humungous halo (no modifier needed -- it would be large!). But if you want finger coverage, and "presence" on your hand, there's no better way to go. Some things to consider when considering a halo:

1) Your lifestyle. Halos bring increased maintenance -- they are a little tricker to clean than a solitaire or 3-stone, simply because the setting is more intricate (even a simple halo).

3) Design considerations. Well-made halos are designed for years of wear, but some designs are by nature more fragile -- the less metal around the stones, the more delicate the halo, but the more exposed your diamond and the diamonds in the halo/band are -- so if you knock your hand against something, you have a higher chance of breaking a stone. My halo is a "workhorse" and is more like a bezel than a super-delicate micro-pave setting. So my stones are actually protected better by this particular halo design than they would be in a more open solitaire design, which works for my day-to-day life. I don't baby my ring, and I wouldn't want to own a ring I'd have to baby. Consider where you are on the continuum of practicality. Me, I would have ruined a micropave long ago, and would only consider a micro-pave design for a ring I'd wear less often. The tradeoff is more metal around the stones, which I like, but others don't.

4) Size and scale. There are a multitude of halo designs; choose one that "works" with not only the size of your stone, but also the size and shape of your hand and finger. It's a total look. Round halos not only fill the horizontal space of your finger, but also the vertical space. And haloing a large diamond such as yours, using larger melee, will fill most of the bottom section of your ring finger (a look I personally :love:) but may not leave much room for a wedding band.

5) Melee. Maybe it's just me, but I think the smaller melee (full-cut) looks whiter than larger melee. So I recommend single cuts for the smaller melee, and sticking with H-I-J color melee for larger, full-cut melee. You said your J is a high J, so that means you probably see very little, if any, color from the side or when the diamond is tilted. If you set your diamond low in the halo, you will not notice any color from the side; plus, using a white metal for the halo setting will make your stone appear whiter.

6) Halo v. 3-stone. A halo setting is forever. A 3-stone gives you more flexibility for changing things out in the future. Well-made halo settings are not cheap -- make sure you are ready to commit!

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Portree said:

I COMPLETELY agree with this. The center stone and small melee just sparkle differently anyway you look at it. Here's my I color (low I color at that) cushion in it's old setting with F/G melee. I absolutely LOVE my diamond in a halo! :love: :love: :love: We're currently working with Derco Jewelers (S.F. Gift Center) to have my halo ring made.

In direct sunlight:

VGirlsCushionHalo152_0.jpg

From the side showing her "I" color:

VGirlsICushionHalo_0.jpg

And her glamour shot :

VGirlsCushionCutHalo_128.jpg

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks to all the peeps who posted photos and their own experiences! So helpful!

Portree All good points. I think this is a decision that will take me a while to make, as usual :rolleyes: Luckily I have no funds anyways so waiting is not a problem 8) My J is indeed a very high J, I actually think it should have been graded as an I, so I don't see much tint. When I notice warmth is is actually from the face up position -- the while is softer than a higher color would be. I adore haloes, but the delicate micro-pave type, so maybe that is the decision made for me -- I shoudl three-stone this diamond for daily wear but have halo later so I can baby it more. *shrug* we shall see!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer,

When I had my L/M marquise haloed Brian Gavin was able to source I melee for me so that the contrast wasn't too distinct. You may be able to locate something lower than G melee.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
ponder said:
Dreamer,

When I had my L/M marquise haloed Brian Gavin was able to source I melee for me so that the contrast wasn't too distinct. You may be able to locate something lower than G melee.

Ponder...please post pics of your marquise halo....would love to see it a bit closer.... :appl:

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I think your stone would be AWESOME in a halo! But I can see how you are torn with doing it in a three stone too! Two different looks and different kinds of finger coverage. So many decisions.... :naughty:

Vgirl, I've always loved your cushion halo in the pics you posted? I didn't realize you are resetting it? Where is your original setting from if you don't mind me asking....Love it!

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
lizzyann01 said:
Dreamer, I think your stone would be AWESOME in a halo! But I can see how you are torn with doing it in a three stone too! Two different looks and different kinds of finger coverage. So many decisions.... :naughty:

Vgirl, I've always loved your cushion halo in the pics you posted? I didn't realize you are resetting it? Where is your original setting from if you don't mind me asking....Love it!

Thanks Lizzy :) The original setting was from ERD and it was a really pretty ring but to make a long story short we ended up making a lot of compromises on the ring from the beginning and when there were more issues on top of that (ie. https://www.pricescope.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=120984) it was just too much. We didn't work with Mark initially (I wish we had) but he did get involved later on in the process and offered us a refund after it was clear we weren't happy.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dreamer,

I am watching this thread with interest. I love the direction you are going and the way you are thinking.

I also have a J stone which I love- love- love and am thinking of resetting, my original setting is not to my liking and doesn't do justice to the stone, but the stone is a beauty I'm thinking of either popping into a Tacori halo setting or going the Leon Mege Adrianna route. Either way, I believe the halo stones are lighter, but the contrast looks amazing! I love all the photos!, Many thanks to all for sharing.

lovlea1

Rough_Rock
I have a J with F/G melee & I do notice the color difference. I love my diamond as it is an Ideal cut BGD signature H&A but I would like to upgrade someday due to the color. Maybe to a G or H. I bought it blind & thought I wouldn't notice from reading other posts on PS but I guess the advice to see with your own eyes is good advice. Still, I bought the stone separately so maybe I wouldn't know what it would look like set anyway. It is a beautiful diamond & I am happy until it is time for an upgrade.

Here are the glamour shots.

BrianGavin_Halo3b_120910.jpg

BigPhilly808

Rough_Rock
LOVE this thread...i was thinking about getting a "J" in a halo & was worried about the difference...my GF said she didnt care...but i was still a little worried...your pics have eased me nervousness!! thanks :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1281638895|2678307 said:
This is an I colour but has strong fluor. I've since re-set it - nothing to do with the colour matching but because I just didn't like the actual shape of the halo!!!

I didn't see any difference in colour between the main and accent stones BUT the strong fluor means I very rarely see colour in the centre diamond anyway.

Hi LovingDiamonds,
Was wondering if you had a link to your reset?

tyty

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results