shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Semi-Bezel or Etoile-style Pears?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking to reset my pear solitaire early next year as some of you know, for my BIG Birthday. I only had the current setting made in Nov, but repair work in January has kind of butchered it & I no longer 'love' it. I am super keen to incorporate the small princess cuts from my original engagement ring (2 x 3mm stones & 8 x 2mm stones).

I have searched & searched the bezel threads & pear threads, but cannot seem to find either a pear that is semi-bezeled, or a pear set in a wide band of diamonds, Etoile style? Is there a reason for this? Wouldn't they work with a pear? Towards the point of my pear there is a tiny flea bite where the only inclusion ( a feather) chipped from the girdle, so I'm interested in protecting it despite my jeweler assuring me it was at no further risk.

Can anyone help? I am still sketching lots of different styles & likes / dislikes, but would love to tick these two styles off my 'visually seen' list :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can't find them because they look weird? It would bezel the fat end and have the point just sticking out one side. I think the unsymmetrical nature of the shape doesn't lend itself to that design.

Though! Set it e/w all bezel with a think diamond band would be amazing. Give me a minute I'll be back with pics.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, Niel, I'm liking your e-w thinking in a thick band! But I do like symmetry, so not sure how that might affect things. I do have the finger space to take more width, but none of my pics on here show that - they make my fingers look short & pudgy & my rings look tight, when in reality they are long & thin :oops:

I like the idea of a thicker band with all the little princess stones encrusted on it. Even n-w there would be enough space. I thought semi-bezel around the point & the fat back end because I'm not sure how a bezel will look 'on me' if you catch my drift. I am a Cathedral high claw set kind of girl.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
I think you can't find them because they look weird? It would bezel the fat end and have the point just sticking out one side. I think the unsymmetrical nature of the shape doesn't lend itself to that design.

Though! Set it e/w all bezel with a think diamond band would be amazing. Give me a minute I'll be back with pics.

Like a mix between these two.

uploadfromtaptalk1371827734512.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1371827748734.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think the pear would look nicer n-s in that top setting? I saw that lovely pear ring yesterday & whilst it is gorgeous, I am not sure how it would work with princess diamonds down the shoulders?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I imagine you could do that ew setting like that with a string of Chanel princesses like this, or maybe even just a normal n/s bezel, but I don't think you would be happy with a half bezel. Plus, think of the fragility

uploadfromtaptalk1371828548821.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't do fragile. I am very hard on my hands & rings :roll:

OK, so full bezel in a wide band with diamonds on??

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think the pear would look nicer n-s in that top setting?

I think you could but it would be think, e/w would keep it thinner.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so full bezel in a wide band with diamonds on??

I think that's the closest you'll get to that style with a pear.

Would you consider just a whole new the with a round?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No - I am super attached to my pear. Just not its setting, as the underside where they fixed the v-prong is wonky, bulky & off balance to the back prongs. I stare it it endlessly & get cross that we spent so much money to buy this diamond, only to have them bodge it :twisted: Plus I had this setting specifically made as you know, but other comments about it looking too mis-matched & a bit odd have made me rethink it completely.

Plus every other married friend I have wear a RB. I love them of course, but love that my pear is different & greatly drooled over :sun:

Or... My other thought was a simple cathedral setting & make a second eternity from the princess stones. Or is that plain greedy? 8-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no I mean ANOTHER ring, like change your pear to a solitaire and a new RHR

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes :D
I most certainly would be coaxed into swapping the pear into a plain cathedral or bezel solitaire & have a RHR made with the leftovers!

Where's Enerchi when you need her & her convincing ideas??! :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a simple bezel would be so elegant. Maybe with millgrain maybe not.

uploadfromtaptalk1371831836091.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1371832378|3470033 said:

Oh I do like that. Plain or adding pave. But I think it would be a lot with your w band and eternity. I think you'd have to switch your eternity to a the, but if you could make the princesses in your current e ring I to another eternity you could get a nice stack going.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alex T|1371830746|3470013 said:
Yes :D
I most certainly would be coaxed into swapping the pear into a plain cathedral or bezel solitaire & have a RHR made with the leftovers!

Where's Enerchi when you need her & her convincing ideas??! :lol:
:wavey: you rang???? :D

I love your pear ring! but I do hear what you are saying about the setting being not up to what you wanted/expected/love.... if you are not lovin' it, you are not lovin' it. Period, point finale, done, over... but do you still love the pear diamond itself or are you looking for funky changes or are you sentimental about BOTH the pear and the princess stones from your original set?

I ask because... if you are sentimental about the pear AND the princess, I don't think they are 2 cuts that flow well with each other - curves/square are in conflict, kwim? I think if the princess stones are small enough, maybe set kite/"on point", they could work...but it would take a creative approach from your designer to work with you and still, there may be challenges along the design road. (I'm not trying to be totally doom and gloom! :halo: )

Here's my experience - I had a princess solitaire and I wanted more bling. I found PS (both a blessing and a curse! ;)) :lol: ) and got all hyped up about a 3 stone for finger width. I had no idea I could sell my princess and buy a different diamond!! ( :roll: ya, I was *that* naive!! haha! ) so I bought 2 more side princess stones and then had it remade into a ring that has since been destroyed and remade to what I have now (see avatar). That first 3 stone had everything but the kitchen sink in it!! :lol: Using up some sentimental stones, did NOT give me the effect I wanted in the end. THat whole glue situation turned out to be a real silver lining for me!!

I turned that black cloud into my beautiful BGD 3 stone, and yet I was still craving more bling (sooooo unusual here on PS, don't you think??) so I bought a FABULOUS 1/2 rb eternity from IDJ and I LOVE that ring!!! But what bothered me wearing them together was the round w the square, so IMO, depending on how large your princess stones are you want to use, I'd be a bit cautious about putting the two shapes together... but that's just my experience and my visual design preferences....

Now, if you are looking for a whole new look - would you consider selling the pear then? You won't get what you paid for it, but you'll get a goodly sum to put towards a new ring. If you could wipe out all emotional attachment and past history behind your rings, and you were to be given X amount of $$ today to go and get a whole new ring - what would that look like to you? What shape/setting/metal would you go for if you had a clean slate??

That's what I go back to when I start getting confused about what I want - if I had nothing, what would I go for? Where would I start? What is the most important thing to me if I could have anything out there?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nicoleanne - they are unusual! I like them, but they wouldn't sit well with my eternity & wedding rings which is the crux of my problem :(sad

Yennyfire - I absolutely LOVE that eBay find! I would replicate in a heartbeat in platinum, with pave all over the dome :love: This is the sort of thing I was thinking, but yes, I wouldn't be able to use my princesses.

Enerchi - :wavey: Very much food for thought. I am very sentimental about my original ring hence why I wanted to incorporate the diamonds. My pear is beautiful & I stare at it call day long. I have bashed it hence the teeny flea bite on the girdle from the tiny feather, so no, even though we bought wholesale & paid trade price, we would probably only get that cost back IF we were lucky, maybe slightly less. In hindsight, I think I should have bought an EC. I have always wanted one, setting e-w in a solitaire. It would have worked perfectly with my princess eternity & even now, I could incorporate the princesses in the band with them all having straight edges. I do love my pear, but given that I have only had it for exactly a year (birthday last June) & in its new & now butchered home since Dec, I would be persuaded to part with it. Not sure what hubby would think. Maybe I should toy with the idea of a plain bezel solitaire together with a new half eternity from the old diamonds? There is finger space for both ;-) But I could also wear the new half eternity as a RH ring. Interesting to read your journey with your gorgeous 3 stone. I never saw it in its previous life, but think its stunning :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do understand sentimentality but is it only sentimental if its reused foe you left hand? I mean its still on your hands every day, is it that important to have it all on your left ring finger? If it is I understand, just something to mull over.

The idea of your pear in a micropave'd version of that ring Jenny posted REALLY intrigues me.

But I also fully support it in a thin simple bezel.

Well of course I'll support most anything you do (besides put it into a dolphin ring or something)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1371839223|3470107 said:
I do understand sentimentality but is it only sentimental if its reused foe you left hand? I mean its still on your hands every day, is it that important to have it all on your left ring finger? If it is I understand, just something to mull over.

The idea of your pear in a micropave'd version of that ring Jenny posted REALLY intrigues me.

But I also fully support it in a thin simple bezel.

Well of course I'll support most anything you do (besides put it into a dolphin ring or something)[/quote]

Hysterical!!! :lol:
And you are right - it doesn't all have to be on my left hand. I just have never really been a right hand ring wearer since I got my wedding rings, but that's something I can get used to :))

nicoleanne

Shiny_Rock
What about Etienne Perret? Your bands would fit beautifully under the halo. I bet you could do it E/W too, like the marquise.

Oo... a combination of the sideways pear and pave!

halo-pear-wht-800.jpg

haloringscollection-wht-800.jpg

pear-tulip-yellowgold-wht-800.jpg

purple-diamond-wht-800-250x250.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my Gosh! That pear in the yellow gold is utterly dreamy!! Now this is a new brand to me & something I am going to have to research ;))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Alex, I found 2 rings that I think would be super cool --- if you are into funky not traditional!

The one that shows a plain band - you could have the princess stones set into the band... either randomly set like the etoile band style, or they could be lined up symmetrically on both sides of the bezelled pear.

OR - I love this look too, and you could have the princess stones set on the wider band and depending on the size of the princess stones from your WB, maybe one could be mounted like a 'surprise diamond' on the face of where the thinner band wraps the point of the pear. (did that make sense??)

screen_shot_2013-06-22_at_9.png

screen_shot_2013-06-22_at_0.png

screen_shot_2013-06-22_at_1.png

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ideas, everyone! I am a bit of a classic style girl, but wouldn't say no to something funky for my RH.

Husband & I have chatted & he's read through this thread & agrees that maybe the pear should go back into a simple plain platinum setting & make an eternity ring or similar with my princess cuts. It was his suggestion originally to incorporate the princesses into the new setting, but he never thought about logistics of shape. So we're now talking TWO rings (yippee!) & maybe adding extra stones in the new eternity to represent our 2 girls. If the pear went into a less bulky plain band then there is defo room for another eternity. And I think the shoulder diamonds in the pear detract from its loveliness, its transparency & its elegance. So than you all. This is going to be something that takes time as I have to recoup funds from the initial purchase back into my pot, but I shall keep you posted in RT as we get underway.

Thanks again - I wish I had consulted this forum before jazzing up the setting in the first place :D

me&myboys

Shiny_Rock
Yay!!!! Can't wait to see what thing (or two :cheeky: ) you come up with :appl: :appl: :appl:

Definitely some exciting times ahead. Keep us posted!!! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results