shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset done wrong--but I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I was mortified . . . horrified . . . I took my ring to Fast Fix Jewelry Repairs today to get my center stone reset in a new setting I purchased. For those of you who don't live in a part of the country where they have this store (I live in FL), it's awesome. They can do most repairs in an hour. It's in the mall. Well, my stone didn't fit the new setting. So the benchworker reset the stone in my old setting, but set it east-west instead of north-south. (It's a 1.58 emerald, close to square emerald, 7.04 mm x 6.40 mm.) I was upset at first, but now decided I like it. I may keep it this way instead of resetting it, I don't know.

And the wedding band is new. I received it in the mail today. I got it on ebay from seller artebarca. It's a 2 mm 14 K white gold band with milgrain. It was $24.00 + $9.95 S/H. Can't beat that. I love my cute little wedding band!

What do you all think of the reset? Do you like it set sideways? Or should I have it set right-side-up?

100_1599.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD I 1000%
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
18.gif
18.gif
IT!!!!!

So stylish, so completely "now" ... I wouldn't change it FOR THE WORLD! (also may have to order that funky little band)

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY accident!

ETA: it is kinda strange that it even FIT that way though. How does the setting job look up close. Did they bend stuff so it couldn't fit back the other way anyway ... I LOVE THE LOOK!!!! But you can probably see closer details than I can.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I REALLY like it sideways! What a happy mistake. I agree with Deco. As long as they didn''t damage the setting to fit your EC in I would keep it like that.

Where did you find such a great deal on a wedding band?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great and I love the wedding band you found. I love the "set"

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I ditto the above. What a happy "mistake." It''s definitely unique. I adore that band you found. that was a steal. Love the way your reset turned out.

shay

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input! The wedding band is from ebay, Tacori.

Deco, I thought the same thing! HOW did they manage to fit the stone in like that? I believe the setter is Vietnamese and has done wonderful work for me before. Honestly, I''d trust him to do any jewelry work. No, it does not affect the integrity of the head or anything. I was thinking logically about this--it is only about 1/2 of a millimeter that he had to move the prongs to fit the stone, so I guess it wouldn''t damage anything.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also it looks like you get a more flush fit with the wedding band this way than if it was set north to south.

Ebay- I figured. I got a couple plain 14kt WG bands for really cheap too. They are so fun to play around with!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 11:15:16 PM
Author: lizz
Deco, I thought the same thing! HOW did they manage to fit the stone in like that?.

Ya know I went back to look at the original setting ... SOMEHOW, dunno how, this way works better with the traps. It''s a FLOW thing I think ... East/West has the angles inside the stone more proportionate to the angles of the traps. Before it looked "choppier", which is probably why you weren''t loving the traps & wanted a solitaire.

LOVE LOVE LOVE a million times LOVE!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you mind if I post the original pix here?

lizzsnssetting.JPG

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Deco, no I don''t mind at all. Thanks for posting the old pic so people can compare. I appreciate your feedback about how it looks more fluid set this way with the traps. You''re right! And Tacori, the w-band does seem to go better with it now that it''s set horizontally.

I also like the milgrained wedding band better with my ring than the plain band in the old pic.

It''s amazing to me how much different a ring can look, considering it''s just .64 mm difference. I feel like I have a whole new ring now. And the steam cleaning at the repair place didn''t hurt either.
2.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
WOW, I love it sideways.

It was serendipity in the true meaning of the word.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
WOW! I vastly prefer emeralds in the east west position! It looks amazing! Congratulations on the happy accident!!

And it does look more like an asscher from this position!

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks right set that way. I definitely would keep it that way.

and the band is cool....and such a bargin too!
36.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I think is looks marvelous set east west, and your new band is so delicate and sparkly and cute!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I like it too
36.gif
It really does seem to flow better now- perfect!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
It was gorgeous before, but it is magical now. The proportions really work.
yea!

didiamond

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely mistake lizz! I like it better that way. It seems to take up more real estate on your finger this way. And the miligrain on the band jazzes it up. Love it!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE the east west setting. Serendipity is a wonderful thing.
1.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE IT!!!! It is so "NOW!" What a great mistake! LOL.
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say, if I was ever to get an EC, you now have the exact setting I would have begged for - it looks gorgeous the way it is, and now the money you had for the setting can be spent elsewhere!

I love it!
30.gif

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
The switch-out shows off the rock really well this way - it was lovely and classic before but I feel like the center is even more center-stage now. Amazing how such a little thing can make a huge difference in the look, huh? Do you have any pics of the other setting you were going to put in it? just curious. Also love the milgrain band, what a deal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results