shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about band damaging three-stone prongs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
For all the ladies with three-stone settings -

I have been reading about the problems that many people have when shared prong style wedding bands rub against the prongs of their three-stone rings.

Is this a problem as well if we intend to put a plain plat band (2mm) next to a vatche three-stone truffle? Will this damage the setting? Do we need to go with a curved band?

Thanks for your help!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi Maddie! Did you get the 3 stone? Congratulations!! Or are you thinking over the options still? If you''ve got the ring please post some pics and tell us about the proposal!!
Gail

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
PS, to answer your actual question, I''m not sure about with the 3 stone, but I got the curved band for my 1 stone Vatche :) It was more for asthetics though, and because I felt a faint rubbing sound when I tried on a straight band and was doing things with my hands. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me but the people at the store said I was the first person to have this complaint. I think as long as the band is lower than your stone, you don''t have to worry about damage. The problem comes in when there are exposed girdles on stones in a diamond band which rub against the metal prongs (or stones) on the e-ring. Because diamonds are so hard, those girdles can start cutting the e-ring over time. I would not expect you would have any trouble with a plain plat band.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
The problem that people have had comes from the diamonds cutting into the platinum.

You should be fine with another platinum band next to your three stone.

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
Patty - Thanks for the info! That''s what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

Gailmrv - we are still debating, but we are leaning that way. It seems to look a little more balanced on my hand. But - it''s still open! My major hesitation about the three stone was the band issue, but I finally got to try it (the vatche truffle) on last week with several things and saw a couple bands I liked with it.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Maddie,
You can''t go wrong. Both of the settings you are looking at are divine!!! From your last couple posts you seem to be clearly leaning towards the 3 stone - that truffle setting is SO stylish and sleek and unique compared to some other 3 stone settings... I just love it. I didn''t know if they made a curved band specifically for it? Good luck and let us know what you decide on!
Gail

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the support Gail!

There are actually 2 curved Vatche bands that would sit with the three-stone - either the same band you have (although it is a little thicker than the truffle setting and might not look balanced), or one with diamonds. Here''s a pic of the matching diamond band!

Vatche 3 stone band.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Ooh neat! I hadn''t seen that curved diamond band! Is it too much bling with the 3 stone though? I can imagine the x prong curved band being too thick for the 3 stone ring. Thickness was my concern with it, and it is designed for the x prong. It took me a while to get used to it... I like it now. Sometimes I wish I had experimented with different straight bands and tried to find one that was the right fit before going ahead with the vatche band... would have saved some $$ but I do like knowing that they match and are from the same designer - I''m funny about that!! :)
Can''t wait to see what you decide on!

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gail - I don''t think it would be too much bling. It''s only .37 tcw, and I bet Vatche would make it even smaller if we asked. :) The stones start and stop where the stones of the truffle start and stop.

The setting looks nice with a plain plat straight band too!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2005 10:58:37 AM
Author: maddie80
Hi Gail - I don''t think it would be too much bling. It''s only .37 tcw, and I bet Vatche would make it even smaller if we asked. :) The stones start and stop where the stones of the truffle start and stop.

The setting looks nice with a plain plat straight band too!

The diamond band seems really nice! It is great that the stones start and stop where the e-ring stones are. Do you have a pic of them together? It sounds lovely! Also, maybe an excuse to get the diamond band and a plain straight band (Official reason: to have a plain band for times when you are working with your hands and can''t wear your diamond rings. Real reason: so you don''t have to choose and can have two different looks!)
Any idea when the proposal will be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results