shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-Solitaire Engagement Ring

Mr. Personality

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm a newbie and was really happy to find this forum. Thanks to everyone who's contributed; it was a really great place to start my engagement ring research.

Now down to business, my girlfriend isn't big into jewelry and especially not rings with any sort of rock. Her style would definitely be more non-solitaire, diamonds not riding high, that sort of thing (wouldn't want it catching on anything), but I don't want to go with just a fancy band since I think there should still be some sort of engagement ring feel to it. Do any of you ladies on here have a similar type of ring (or desire for that type of ring)? I really like these that I've found, am I missing anything in meeting what she'd want?

Seville1.jpgSeville2.jpg

Vienna1.jpgVienna2.jpg

Custom1.jpgCustom2.jpg

Thanks!

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Hi there Mr. Personality,

It sounds like what you're trying to avoid is the standard "tiffany style" high prong-set solitaire. Technically, a solitaire means that there is one main stone :) so you might find a solitaire that fits your needs. Unfortunately I don't own such a ring to show you, but I can try to give you some input...

I think a style that would work for your girlfriend is anything set in a low bezel (such as the second one you showed) or half-bezel (like the first one). You might try to search using "bezel" as a keyword to see some ideas.

Has she ever commented on stone shapes and styles that she likes? Some people feel strongly for/against square or round shapes, ornate engraving, pave, symmetry, etc. Does she usually enjoy modern shapes with clean lines, or more antique, ornate ones? (maybe in small decorative objects, if she doesn't wear jewelry) Can any of her friends/female relatives give you any information?

Also, are you thinking of comfort as a priority, or is there another reason, such as wanting a sturdy ring because she uses her hands a lot (e.g. gardening, sports etc)? If you're going for comfort and for someone who isn't used to wear and worry about jewelry, I would avoid pave (lots of little diamonds like the edges on the third ring), prongs, anything with a high profile or bands with square edges. Also, depending on people's fingers, bands larger than 3-4mm can sometimes be uncomfortable.
For example, this http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/cameron-solitaire-engagement-ring-585.htm would be a pretty comfortable and worry free ring.

My favorite out of the three you've shown would be the second one. The third is quite an unusual style - I think I would stay away from it unless she pointed you in that direction.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can offer no suggestons, per se, but I can say: The first one is gorgeous!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE Knox jewelers! the first and third ones are REALLY beautiful!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I really love Knox jewelers! I like the first and second ones you listed. I think either one would be a lovely choice!! ::)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What is your budget? I've come across a few that are in the same vein as the ones you posted, but they are pricey and may be out of your budget (they are out of mine) and I'd hate to post them for you to fall in love if it's not in the cards....

E B

Ideal_Rock

Has she ever commented on stone shapes and styles that she likes? Some people feel strongly for/against square or round shapes, ornate engraving, pave, symmetry, etc. Does she usually enjoy modern shapes with clean lines, or more antique, ornate ones? (maybe in small decorative objects, if she doesn't wear jewelry) Can any of her friends/female relatives give you any information?

Completely agree with the above. There are lots of different diamond shapes and ring styles and not all of them are for every woman. Getting tips from friends/family members is great, but if you're trying to keep it a complete secret, maybe we can help you narrow it down if you tell us more about her.

For what it's worth, if you want a setting from Knox, you have to buy the diamond from them, too. And I'm not sure they offer the amount of information other vendors like BGD, GOG, and WF do.

Mr. Personality

Rough_Rock
Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback so far.

yennyfire said:
What is your budget? I've come across a few that are in the same vein as the ones you posted, but they are pricey and may be out of your budget (they are out of mine) and I'd hate to post them for you to fall in love if it's not in the cards....

Those at Knox are within my budget and I could go a bit above that as well, so post away!

vsc said:

This was really helpful vsc, thanks. She's a fan of engraving and more along the antique lines than modern, which was one reason I liked these settings from Knox. Actually one of the rings she wears every day is similar in terms of engraving, and the feedback I've gotten from her friends is that she'd like something along the same lines. The one thing that hasn't come up is stone shapes and styles, but I think a Princess cut would most match her style.

Thanks again everyone, keep them coming!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'd totally recommend checking out Greenlake Jewelry's stuff. (http://www.greenlakejewelry.com). They do absolutely top of the line engraving- and I'm really, really picky about engraving. Their settings have a bit of a modern edge, many of them anyway, and that combined with the antique style engraving is, IMO, unique and lovely. I've worked with them a couple of times, and seen their settings in person numerous times, and really would recommend them.

Mr. Personality

Rough_Rock
LGK|1292458106|2798030 said:
I'd totally recommend checking out Greenlake Jewelry's stuff. (http://www.greenlakejewelry.com). They do absolutely top of the line engraving- and I'm really, really picky about engraving. Their settings have a bit of a modern edge, many of them anyway, and that combined with the antique style engraving is, IMO, unique and lovely. I've worked with them a couple of times, and seen their settings in person numerous times, and really would recommend them.

Wow, Greenlake is great, thanks! At this point it's really more about the band than the diamond for her, obviously I'll do as good as possible on the diamond but the band is where I want to make it special for her. Anyone have sites similar to Greenlake?

AdanaEsq

Shiny_Rock
Tuckins1|1292455907|2797998 said:
I really love Knox jewelers! I like the first and second ones you listed. I think either one would be a lovely choice!! ::)

I agree.

Eskiez

Shiny_Rock
Like the others, I'm no help with alternative suggestions, but I LOVE the first one you posted. GORGEOUS

I've heard great things about Knox!!

Are you able to view their site? Because I'm not... it always says forbidden when I try to check out their page.

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
I love the first one, although I 'd use trillons instead of rounds as side diamonds.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
No additional suggestions, just wanted to send another vote for the first ring you posted. What a gorgeous ring, I know I would be happy with that on my finger :wink2:

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
1st choice is pretty but the 2nd makes center stone look bigger.

I'd shop around though, the prices were kinda on the high side for 14k white gold.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that first ring you posted...really pretty!

april4

Rough_Rock
Mr. Personality,

If she is, as you say, not a jewelry person, you may want to consider going with something smaller and more delicate (i.e. narrow band, not so much metal)

As for engraving, Van Craeynest comes to mind, though many of their rings have the traditional solitaire look:
http://www.vancraeynest.com/

My favorite is Aeolianarpa's:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/van-craeynest-810-gog-avc.150538/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/van-craeynest-810-gog-avc.150538/[/URL]

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the bottom of the trio of rings you posted for your situation... I would get a plain band that fit up next to it for a wedding ring - just a small like 2mm plain band... you would be able to give her a diamond without giving her that solitaire look - it's practially just a band but it's lovely too :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results