shape
carat
color
clarity

My OEC re-set!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
It has been a while since I posted, but I just wanted to share my new OEC re-set. It was a gift from DH for Christmas, but it has taken a while to get my butt into gear to post pictures.

I am tossing around the idea of getting a halo for the OEC and using the pave setting for a cushion cut sapphire that I have. I have small fingers (size 2.75) so I am worried a halo will overwhelm my finger, but at the same time I am suffering from DSS
8.gif
. If there are any photoshop experts out there, please help by photoshopping a halo around my ring. It would be very, very much appreciated!

Ok, here are the pictures. I haven''t upgraded my camera yet, so the macro mode only allows me to get as close as 15cm to my ring. I can''t capture the lovely chunky facets or the rainbow fire that comes off the stone, but this was the best I could do. Hope you like the pictures!

CIMG2010ringnobandbright.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Another with the matching band.

CIMG2012ringwithbandbright.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Some pictures taken in the dark...

wlftrsdarkringwithbandsparkles.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Reflecting a bit of light from the monitor

CIMG2003ringnobandonmonitor.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Glowing a bit in the dark

CIMG1997wlftrsringnobanddark.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Eew, I just realised my keyboard is way overdue for a clean
20.gif

With my sapphire band

wlftrsringwithsapphireband.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Some specs on the stone and setting:

.85 OEC, H-I-J colour, SI1 clarity. It''s mostly colourless but displays some warmth. It looks a lot whiter than my other OEC (L-M colour) which always shows some colour in all lighting conditions.

Setting is roughly .30tcw and each band is around 1.5mm thick. I love how thin the bands are and actually prefer the e-ring on its own without the band.

Hope you enjoyed the show
1.gif

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
ooohhh beautiful! When I get back to work on tuesday, I could try to do a halo...

I think its to die for as is ;-)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s beautiful! Size 2.75 fingers! It must be hard to find rings. It does look amazing on you though, the setting really makes the stone pop.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Wolftress your setting is beautiful - perfect for your delicate hand. Well done on finding such a beautiful stone and setting. Did you source the stone in Australia or overseas?

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
julesbeth, I would really appreciate it if you could show me what a halo would look like on my finger
9.gif
I do like the setting now but unfortunately when I went from a solitaire to a pave setting, it actually seemed to shrink the diamond.

Addy, it is very hard to find rings and any settings with sidestones always have to be custom made. It means when I order a setting, I have to be 100% sure it''s what I want
5.gif

softly, the stone and setting are both from overseas but it was all put together by my local jeweller who is fantastic. It''s a little mom and pop jewellery store where the owners actually do the setting and creating of rings themselves. It''s very hard to find something like that in Melbourne these days. A lot of jewellery stores send the stones to the city to be set.

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Size 2.5!!! Woah! I just turned green with envy!
21.gif
Beautiful ring. You''ve got to help this ''rough rock'' out - what is DSS? Is it something about ''shrinkage''? I am sure you could find a halo setting for a round and have someone local set it for you. This one is delicate and very pretty although the center is quite big:

http://ncdia.com/gallery.cfm?id=340&item_type=Ring&member_id=&cid=0&retailer=&PageNum_results=7

Or this one:

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=1555&action=show_detail

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG wolftress that ring is perfection on your tiny fingers!!! I love love love it with your sapphire band, too!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring, IrishBreakfast I beleive DSS is diamond shrinking syndrome (I could be wrong lol) anyways it something pretty common here on pricescope, lol, I know I certainly have it
20.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
IrishBreakfast, DSS is Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome, something a lot of PSers get the longer we hang out here
2.gif
In real life my diamond is an average size... I think most Melbourne women wear a .5 to 1ct. I love the pink halo setting you posted... I wonder if my jeweller can source some tiny pink diamonds for me
11.gif

DandiAndi, thank you! The sapphire ring was a little something I treated myself to when I got a raise at work
2.gif
The sapphires are very small but they are all a gorgeous royal blue and I hope to pair it with my sapphire cushion when I finally get it set as a RHR.

diamondrnglover, it''s hard not to get DSS when we see so many gorgeous sparklies here every day!

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful as it is! I love the proportions - you have great coverage on your dainty fingers.

If you do go for a halo - make sure it''s delicate!

Either way, that stone is gorgeous!
30.gif
30.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Dreamy! What a dynamo that stone is!

cheers--Sharon

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
30.gif
It looks gorgeous! What POP it has! It looks so much bigger than what your specs stated! I guess it''s part of that small finger size!!! LUCKY GIRL!!!!!!!!!! Totally green with envy
27.gif

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I photoshopped your ring with a round and a square halo. I hope this helps! I tried to keep the width of the halo the same as your ring width to keep it delicate looking. I also kept the size of your diamond consistent. You might have a "gap" between your ering and wband if you add a halo, unless you set it higher. I personally don't mind a gap with some sets. IMHO, my fav choices are to leave your ring as is, or go for the square halo (I also think the sqare halo would look better with a gap if that happens). But that's just me! Good luck on your decision. Your stone is absolutely beautiful, I love OECs! ...hmmm...maybe try setting up a poll if you can't decide!

CIMG2010 halo or not to halo.jpg

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring, wolftress! I looks like a bright, beautiful fireball!

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 12:50:29 PM
Author: blingergrrrl
And as a set (without a gap).
Great photoshopping Blingergrrrl!!!
36.gif

I love the square halo as well!!!! I think a gap might be ok, but can probably get it set higher to avoid that... I know some don''t like it higher due to snagging or hitting it into things, but I personally don''t mind height.

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the DSS explanation - I know the feeling all too well!

Love the photoshops too. You are very talented blingergrrrrrl.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
wolftress! I was just thinking about you yesterday! I really like the re set but sadly I cant remember what it looked like to begin with. Can you show us the before/after pix, as well as your original ering? I hope you "exercise" your OEC more often now! Enjoy it in good health...
28.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
blingergrrl, thank you, thank you, thank you! What a wonderful photoshop job and I am so relieved that a dainty halo will not overpower the stone. I love the cushion-shaped halo, but the round looks quite pretty too. Ahhh, decisions, decisions! I would like a bit of a gap between the band and the e-ring, actually. I think that is such an elegant look.

diamondseeker, I love that Tacori setting too. Tacoris always look so delicate and dainty! The halos I have had my eye on are all antique-looking so hopefully they will complement the stone.

claireabelle, thank you! I agree the halo has to be delicate or it will swallow my finger
6.gif

canuk-gal, thank you
1.gif
I wish I could capture the fire it gives out. It is a very lively stone in all lighting conditions.

Ice Princess Christy, my DH is very relieved that anything around 1ct looks huge on me
2.gif
But I still suffer from DSS and most ring designs, especially with sidestones, tend to look a bit silly on my finger, like I am playing in my mom''s jewellery box!

coati, thank you! You inspired me to get an ultra thin setting after seeing all your little stacking rings!

LegacyGirl, thank you
1.gif
I love your ring too, it''s just beautiful.

pixley, thank you! I need to upgrade my camera so I can get some PS-worthy pictures of it. I love the stone best in the morning when it is icy white and all colours of the rainbow.

surfgirl, my fellow OCC member! I don''t have any pictures of this stone in its original setting - it was from the 60''s (I think) in a fishtail setting with two small single cuts on either side. My jeweller thinks the stone is older than the setting. I would have worn it in the vintage setting but it was a size 9
6.gif
and it could not have been resized to fit me without damaging the setting.

Here''s a pic of my other OEC e-ring in the solitaire setting. I don''t wear it often any more and would like to eventually set it in a buttercup pendant.

blossomhandOECnew.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful reset Wolftress. I''m loving the halo options in the the photoshopped pics, they look so PERFECT! You have so many gorgeous sparklies ...
30.gif
10.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results