shape
carat
color
clarity

My OEC eBay find with pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Well, Ladies! My eBay find from last week has arrived! This was eBay'd as part of an estate, so I don't have official papers on it. However, I took it to lunch with me and stopped at an independent jeweler near work who confirmed that:

1) Stone is real and as advertised - between .48 and .50, VS1 (teeny carbon spot near edge of bezel..can barely see),
I color, OEC. Under a loupe, you can see hearts (no arrows, though).

2) Setting is vintage and 18k gold. Filigree is hand, not cast.

Jeweler also sells vintage jewelery and offered me $1800 on the spot for this (I paid only $350!!!!!). I said "no" - I bought this to wear and not sell. I might get it appraised for ha-ha's...but again, this is for me to wear, and I know I got a great deal.

As promised, handshots. It was sunny earlier and I should have taken photos then, because this ring BLAZES. Sparkles ridiculously and is very white-looking.

Excuse the fact that I need a fill badly and have old lady hands.

Bridget in Connecticut...

handshot-bridget-oec.gif

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
The side has a lotus and leaf motif. I''m in work, using the company camera. I know it has a macro setting somewhere, but I don''t know where it is. Best I can do for now.

Bridget in Connecticut..

front-filigree.gif

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
One last pic. The ring has some wear, but not a lot. I LOVE it!!

My BF called me at lunch and I told him my eBay treasure had arrived and about the jeweler offering me $1800 for it. He thought I should have taken the $1800. I told him I will sell this only if HE buys me a ring. Hee hee.

Bridget in Connecticut.

top-view2.gif

justwondering

Rough_Rock
So pretty! It always feels great to find something you love AND know you got a great deal on it
31.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great find. I love the setting!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
You should be patting yourself on the back for being able to find this treasure! Such a pretty ring, good job!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Your jeweler offered you $1800 for a half carat I colored diamond with a carbon spot that we can see on the internet without a loupe?
23.gif

You either need to buy a bunch of stuff off eBay and soak him while he''s still blind, or find a better jeweler
9.gif

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 4:56:19 PM
Author: omieluv

You should be patting yourself on the back for being able to find this treasure! Such a pretty ring, good job!
Thank you! I am so thrilled at getting this - it''s made my month!!!!

eBay is a great place to find jewelery if you know what you''re looking at or know to ask the right questions. A couple years back, I was fixated on getting a Native American squash blossom necklace. Only problem is that those retail for at least $500 for a really nice piece with nice stones...more if they''re vintage and/or made by a famous Native silversmith and signed. And a lot of the choicest turquoise comes from mines that are no longer allowed to be used (government protected or for environmental reasons). WELL. I was trolling eBay one day when I saw the one I bought. It was listed as a "dead pawn," which means that someone pawned it and never returned for it, and the pawnshop was now selling it for cash/scrap. They don''t care how much something is worth, as long as they get something for it. I got a necklace that I later got appraised/validated as being from the 1960s and made with Morenci turquoise, which is highly desirable. I paid a little over $200 for it, and I don''t even want to post here what it''s worth. Let''s just say that I only wear it when I am out with my 6''6", 310 pound boyfriend
9.gif

If any of you are looking for vintage settings, do an eBay search for "scrap" under the vintage ring category. Sometimes, people will remove the stones and sell the setting for scrap - basically metal value. But you could source a stone to fit on eBay, too -- and oftentimes put together a vintage piece for a fraction of what you''d pay a jeweler or vintage dealer. A friend of mine did that and has a stunning ring, also.

Bridget in Connecticut..

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 4:59:23 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Your jeweler offered you $1800 for a half carat I colored diamond with a carbon spot that we can see on the internet without a loupe?
23.gif
The spot you're seeing is not the one I'm talking about. The darkness that you can see on the stone in the pics is the crappy lighting in my office, combined with laying my hand on my leg to take the pic. The spot I am talking about, I can't get in close enough to zero in on. It's near one of the "spokes" of the setting at about 8 o'clock and is under-pinhole sized. Can't see in the pics.

If it's sunny out tomorrow, I'll post more pics of it in sunlight and the stone will look totally different.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
23.gif

You either need to buy a bunch of stuff off eBay and soak him while he''s still blind, or find a better jeweler
9.gif

Purrfectpear...I''m not an expert and definitely don''t know if $1800 is a fair price for this ring...but I DO know that was not very nice.
7.gif

Sandia...LOVELY find! It''s a beautiful ring!!!

Sapphire_Cutie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 4:42:15 PM
Author:sandia_rose
Well, Ladies! My eBay find from last week has arrived! This was eBay''d as part of an estate, so I don''t have official papers on it. However, I took it to lunch with me and stopped at an independent jeweler near work who confirmed that:

1) Stone is real and as advertised - between .48 and .50, VS1 (teeny carbon spot near edge of bezel..can barely see),
I color, OEC. Under a loupe, you can see hearts (no arrows, though).

2) Setting is vintage and 18k gold. Filigree is hand, not cast.

Jeweler also sells vintage jewelery and offered me $1800 on the spot for this (I paid only $350!!!!!). I said ''no'' - I bought this to wear and not sell. I might get it appraised for ha-ha''s...but again, this is for me to wear, and I know I got a great deal.

As promised, handshots. It was sunny earlier and I should have taken photos then, because this ring BLAZES. Sparkles ridiculously and is very white-looking.

Excuse the fact that I need a fill badly and have old lady hands.

And now its MY turn to be jelous...!!!!! its BEAUTIFUL! nice find!

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 5:16:13 PM
Author: luvmyhalo

23.gif

9.gif

Purrfectpear...I''m not an expert and definitely don''t know if $1800 is a fair price for this ring...but I DO know that was not very nice.
7.gif

Sandia...LOVELY find! It''s a beautiful ring!!!
Agreed!!!

Sandia, I love your new vintage ring. Glad you treated yourself! You deserve it, and what a great find! Enjoy and thanks for sharing!! >>>**off to find my own ebay steal, lol**

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I was hoping you''d post pics when you got this ring! I really like it!! Ever since you posted about your Ebay steal I''ve been trying to find one of my own, haha. Thanks for posting!!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring, and a great deal, can''t beat that! eBay can be such a great resource if you know tricks like the one you posted. One of my saved searches is for a well-established die-struck jewelry manufacturer (Jabel) that''s been around for almost a century, and it regularly turns up great vintage pieces.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry if my post was misconstrued. I too think it''s a lovely find. The fact that the jeweler is a poor business man is NO reflection upon Sandia, nor her taste in jewelry.

Let''s be honest here, half carat I colored stones with a visible (even if you have to look for it, it''s still not technically eyeclean) carbon spot price out between $492 and a high of $800. How long would that jeweler stay in business if he paid $1800 for stones like that?

Please correct me if I''m wrong and he''s really smart.

In the meantime, I think Sandia''s ring is quite pretty and a good find for her at the price she paid.
emwink.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi:

Love it--great choice!

cheers--Sharon

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful!!
I love it! What a find!
36.gif

I agree with you about ebay--if you know what you're looking for, you can find great deals, especially with antique/vintage. Antique stores/dealers in LA(where I am) know what they're selling, so amazing deals are harder to find, and I like amazing deals!:) On ebay, many sellers aren't even aware of what they have(they're selling antique diamonds next to shoe polish or whatever) I've definitely had some luck with them.

Hive Five!
36.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 5:53:28 PM
I'm sorry if my post was misconstrued. I too think it's a lovely find. The fact that the jeweler is a poor business man is NO reflection upon Sandia, nor her taste in jewelry.

Let's be honest here, half carat I colored stones with a visible (even if you have to look for it, it's still not technically eyeclean) carbon spot price out between $492 and a high of $800. How long would that jeweler stay in business if he paid $1800 for stones like that?

Please correct me if I'm wrong and he's really smart.

In the meantime, I think Sandia's ring is quite pretty and a good find for her at the price she paid.
emwink.gif

Purrfectpear,
I'm sorry, but I don't feel that this unsolicited analysis of Sandia's jeweler is appropriate on SMTR. We should just enjoy her new lovely ring and leave the criticism out of it.

Sandia, can't wait to see more photos!
30.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 6:46:38 PM
Author: coatimundi
Date: 4/3/2008 5:53:28 PM

I''m sorry if my post was misconstrued. I too think it''s a lovely find. The fact that the jeweler is a poor business man is NO reflection upon Sandia, nor her taste in jewelry.

Let''s be honest here, half carat I colored stones with a visible (even if you have to look for it, it''s still not technically eyeclean) carbon spot price out between $492 and a high of $800. How long would that jeweler stay in business if he paid $1800 for stones like that?

Please correct me if I''m wrong and he''s really smart.

In the meantime, I think Sandia''s ring is quite pretty and a good find for her at the price she paid.
emwink.gif

Purrfectpear,

I''m sorry, but I don''t feel that this unsolicited analysis of Sandia''s jeweler is appropriate on SMTR. We should just enjoy her new lovely ring and leave the criticism out of it.

Sandia, can''t wait to see more photos!
30.gif

Ditto. You may be new around here, but it''s pretty obvious that SMTR is for admiring, not critiquing rings. In the future you should refrain from offering uninformed and unsolicited criticisms of people''s jewelry.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now to Sandia-I am green with envy over your eBay find!
21.gif

It''s gorgeous and the setting is so unique and detailed! (I would have been a little tempted by that $1800, but that ring is so gorgeous I probably would have passed it up, too!)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful! Congrats on finding such a deal!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Love your Ebay find, Sandia! Congrats and wear in good health always!

I, too, agree that Ebay is fraught with people out looking to scam honest buyers but there are still a lot of honest sellers there. You just gotta be careful, know which questions to ask, and protect yourself when making payment. I have made quite a few purchases there and have only been unhappy with my purchase 1 time.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sandia,

Your ring is so pretty. I just love the design. It is truly a wonderful find. It also looks lovely on your hand. Enjoy wearing it.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very, very pretty! Congratulations on such a beautiful deal!

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE it! Why can''t I ever find cool things like this when I search ebay??!! It is so unique. How old do think this is? Did the appraiser give you any indications? I am not an expert at all, but to me it kind of has that WWII era look to it. Are you going to do some research on it? If you do find any history on this, please post it. I would be so interested in hearing more about it! Enjoy wearing that beauty--I still wish I had your luck at finding these cool pieces!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW. I am soooo jealous!! Congratulations on such fanstastic eBay finds, you really know what to look for, sandia!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results