shape
carat
color
clarity

My new (old!) emerald and cushion-cut diamond ring...

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
I've been watching a particular emerald ring on eBay this week, and went to check on it Wednesday morning. The bidding was way out of control, so I knew I'd be passing on that one. Another ring at the bottom of the screen caught my eye -- in those "suggested for you" windows. I thought (er, actually said out loud to myself :lol: ), "Ooh! I'd be just as happy with that one!" and clicked over to it.

I made a quick offer, absolutely positive that it wouldn't be accepted because it was pretty low compared to the BIN price, but it was accepted in about five minutes! :appl: I paid and went to work. Less than 24 hours later, the ring was on my finger!

This ring is everything I never wanted -- yellow gold, cluster-style, old cuts with culets you can drive a tank through, wonky workmanship, damaged stones (some of the emeralds are scratched, which is kind of expected as the ring is from 1890 or so), etc.

And I freaking love it. :love:

I don't know if I got a deal, but I love it, so it was worth what I paid, right? ;-)

4.2mm cushion old-cut centre with 4 cushion old-cut diamonds and 4 cushion old-cut emeralds (I'd never seen old-cut emeralds -- cute little open culets/keels!) in 18kt yellow gold:

I'm so, so pleased, especially with the colour of the emeralds. They really glow and are unlike any other emeralds I've ever owned, which were totally opaque and lifeless.

My plan is to take it to my jeweller for some refurb work -- straightening prongs and possibly having it rhodium plated (because I really just CAN'T with yellow gold) so I can wear it with my wedding ring when I like (otherwise it'll be a RHR). Other than that, the wonk is staying as it is.

Just want to put in a plug for the eBay seller -- captain6-antiquediamonds -- super fast response to my offer, accepted my offer (!), the fastest possible posting, and very nice packaging. I'll be watching their listings in the future for sure!

2e.jpg

3e.jpg

1e.jpg

5e.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous!!! :love: Great find! I love it! I'll tell you though, as an antique and with emeralds, I would leave the yellow gold. If you make it all bright and shiny with rhodium, I think that might make the stones look out of place. I would maybe do it on a more modern ring, but not on this particular one. But that's just me!

They are in the UK. How did you get it the next day???? Or maybe that is where you live?

D

Deactivated member 42515

I usually don't like cluster rings but I like this one! It doesn't look too busy or forced. It has awesome fluidity! Can't wait for more pics of when you get it plated and tweaked!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:!: :lol: :D Elliemay, you make me laugh! "everything I never wanted!" :lol:

Ya just never know, eh? sometimes we do get ourselves pigeon holed into one style or another and then - lo and behold - out of left field comes the most perfect thing EVER...!!! who knew???

I really like it! I like the intricacy of the scalloped bezel around the centre diamond - the claw work is cool!!! Very nice - enjoy your new treasure - and even better, it was a total bargain for you!!! Woo hoo!!

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1336147891|3187518 said:
That is gorgeous!!! :love: Great find! I love it! I'll tell you though, as an antique and with emeralds, I would leave the yellow gold. If you make it all bright and shiny with rhodium, I think that might make the stones look out of place. I would maybe do it on a more modern ring, but not on this particular one. But that's just me!

They are in the UK. How did you get it the next day???? Or maybe that is where you live?

Ooh, maybe I'll have a think about it. It's just that I really loathe yellow gold. Hmmm. Maybe I can try to photoshop it to white gold and see how that looks?

Yes, I'm in the UK -- the postal service is so fast here (usually!). ;-)

motownmama said:
I LOVE emeralds - enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too -- they're my birthstone -- are you a May baby too?

YayTacori said:
I usually don't like cluster rings but I like this one! It doesn't look too busy or forced. It has awesome fluidity! Can't wait for more pics of when you get it plated and tweaked!

Me either -- clusters usually look cheapo to me, like you're trying to make lots of little stones look like a big one. I think the difference with this one is that it's *supposed* to look like lots of little stones -- the emeralds break it up a bit.

Enerchi said:
:!: :lol: :D Elliemay, you make me laugh! "everything I never wanted!" :lol:

Ya just never know, eh? sometimes we do get ourselves pigeon holed into one style or another and then - lo and behold - out of left field comes the most perfect thing EVER...!!! who knew???

I really like it! I like the intricacy of the scalloped bezel around the centre diamond - the claw work is cool!!! Very nice - enjoy your new treasure - and even better, it was a total bargain for you!!! Woo hoo!!

Thanks, Enerchi! I really surprised myself with this one! I keep going back to look at the rest of their listings to see if there's something else I might not like (but actually end up liking!), but I can't spend anything else right now!

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Elliemay,
That is a very cute ring.
But since you mentioned that the emeralds have a different color/look from those that you have seen before, I would check with the jeweler if those are real emeralds or synthetic. If seller accepted your low offer quickly, I would be a bit cautions and check the authenticity of the stones.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh my god that is GORGEOUS. :love:

I second the suggestion to leave it as yellow gold. Buy a cheapie plain YG band, then you can wear it as a RHR or an alternate YG set.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous ring! I love it :love: :love: :love:

I do have to say though, I agree with DS about leaving it yellow gold, it suits the piece. Maybe it will grow on you? I know when I first started out on PS, I was a white gold or platinum only person. but I have seen so many gorgeous yellow and rose gold pieces that I have really started to enjoy and desire yellow and rose gold!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm with DS and armywife - leave it in the YG. It just seems to suit the piece best in that colour gold. I think the WG, as DS says, could really accentuate any of the flaws in the ring.

Just my opinion....

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
elliemay,

It has personality! I like it YG, enhances the emeralds. If you want to wear it as an engagement ring, just do it. Who says you can't mix metal colors? Just pretend that it's an old family heirloom, which it is (just not YOUR family, until now).

I know what you mean about something catching your eye and calling to you! Fortunately for me, that doesn't happen very often.

liz

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a neat ring! I love the combo of diamonds and emeralds! It's gorgeous on you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the color of those emeralds! I too would leave the yellow gold - I think it goes much better with emeralds!

Beautiful ring - enjoy!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey elliemae -

Your ring was posted as today's eye candy!https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/page-260#post-3187727#p3187727

And I'm so glad, because I might never have seen it otherwise! Congrats on getting a beautiful ring with lots of personality!

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
InnaR|1336151123|3187584 said:
Elliemay,
That is a very cute ring.
But since you mentioned that the emeralds have a different color/look from those that you have seen before, I would check with the jeweler if those are real emeralds or synthetic. If seller accepted your low offer quickly, I would be a bit cautions and check the authenticity of the stones.

Thanks, Inna -- I'll have my jeweller confirm, but I'm 99% sure they're natural emeralds as the jardin is visible and they're just not clear enough to be synthetics. I suspect they look different compared to what I've seen before because all of the emeralds I've ever had were cheap mall stones that looked like frozen pea soup! :lol:

And lots of votes for keeping in YG. Must think about this.

***slinks off to eBay to look for vintage YG bands*** :naughty:

:lol:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a lovely ring! Awesome find. I'd also vote for yellow gold... it's just so beautiful with those emeralds and old cut diamonds. I think I'm in love with your ring :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a beauty!!! :love: This is such a lovely piece ellie, I love those cushion shaped stones! :love: I can totally see why you were so drawn to it.

And I concur with PP's - I think this baby should stay as is! The emeralds and diamonds just look so pretty in the YG.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
elliemay- that's such a beauty! I love antique rings! And I love reading your posts. You sound like such a hoot!

PS- I also vote to keep the YG. It just won't look right in white with the emeralds and I actually kind of like the contrast with your band as it is, or maybe an old fashioned antique style yellow band as someone else mentioned? One with a bit of engraving on it?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is incredible!!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results