shape
carat
color
clarity

Mounting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TammyLN

Rough_Rock
Hey folks- My husband and I are considering purchasing a diamond and setting separately from 2 different vendors. Wondering whether anyone knows a jeweler (NYC area) who will mount together for a fee. Will jewelers commonly do this and will jewelers sell settings alone?
Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

rogue

Shiny_Rock
I think as long as they''re both insured, Wedding Ring Originals (www.weddingrings.com) on Lex and 56th will mount stones and settings that aren''t from there. My first ring I had them unmount the stone with the plan to send to it to GIA for grading and then have them reset it into the same mounting -- they were fine with that, the cost was about $100 (I ended up returning that ring and bought a new stone and had them make a mounting for me).

TammyLN

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help, I will definately look into their site. This does seem like the path less taken so we''ll see.
1.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I think that many stores will do this for you - particulary if you bought one component of the ring (either the mounting or the stone) from them. A setting fee (around $100) is typical. And yes, many places will sell the mounting separately from the stone, particularly if it is something they can order from a catalogue, or if it is something they will make custom. They may be unwilling to take apart a ring that is already assembled in their case to sell you they setting only.

TammyLN

Rough_Rock
For some reason we''ve found that B&M jewelers are very resistant towards selling these items separately. Maybe when they hear upgrade/engagement ring, they eagerly push towards the entire sale. Maybe it''s a local issue.
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Tammy,

Our ring''s diamond came from Whiteflash and the setting from Wink, and Wink set the diamond. Not a problem.

Good luck!
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I purchased my diamond from james allen and purchased and set my diamond from a local B&M without any problems. It was a good way for me to bargain hunt for settings and see them in person.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results