shape
carat
color
clarity

I got engaged -- here''s the ring I gave her!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bpilgrim

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for such an informative board. I bought the ring and got engaged this weekend! For those of you who read the post I had previously made (titled "Questions about Jewelers and Diamonds" I think) I bought the diamond and setting from the B&M here in town.

Despite not following the normal advice here (I bought a stone with an EGL cert, bought from a B&M, etc.) I think I was able to get my fiance a beautiful ring. Here are the stats (verified by the appraiser Martin Fuller, who took the photos, as well)

0.8 carat, E VS1, Depth: 60.4, Table: 57, Pavillion Depth: 43%, Crown Height: 14%. Girdle: Thin to Medium, and Ex/Ex on the proportions/symmetry. This gives an HCA of 0.8 (Ex/Ex/Ex/Vg) Martin mentioned repeatedly during the appraisal that it was an exceptionally well cut stone, so I''m very pleased. Anyways, it appraised for twice what I paid!

I''m happy with the price, I''m happy with the sparkle, but most of all, I''m happy that she said yes!

-Paul

Rg2-2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!! Lovely ring and setting!!
1.gif

In terms of advice...I don't think buying offline with an EGL cert is against the norm at all...as long as you do your homework, which you did--then your time spent here paid off!

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
beautiful ring! Congratulations! Any date set yet?

bpilgrim

Rough_Rock
No date set just yet. We're looking into September/October. Somewhere in between now and then, she's got to finish graduate school and get a job! It looks like its going to be a busy half year!

By the way, we both had a blast at the appraiser's. I'd recommend that anyone in the DC area go to Martin Fuller for an appraisal.

Also, since everyone always mentions the online vendors, I'd like to just say that I would recommend the place I went, Five Star Jewelers (in Fairfax, VA) to anyone in the DC area. He doesn't specialize in ideal cut diamonds, but if you do your research, you can find some great stones in the many many stones he's got. His prices are great and the customer service is wonderful, too. It was really fascinating to watch them set the diamond - and try beating $3200 for an "excellent" ideal cut 0.8 E VS1 -- better than any of the online prices I saw!

-Paul

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
On 1/20/2004 5:59:56 PM Mara wrote:

In terms of advice...I don't think buying offline with an EGL cert is against the norm at all...as long as you do your homework, which you did--then your time spent here paid off!

----------------

Ditto what Mara said LOUDLY.
9.gif

There's no "right" choice that fits everyone....some people prefer a B&M store, some prefer online. Some prefer EGL, some prefer AGS. I think the only thing we all feel strongly about is DO THE HOMEWORK....and it sounds like you did.

Congratulations on your engagement and on your beautiful ring!!!

----------------

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your engagement! The ring is beautiful. I especially love the view from the top.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring! Congratulations on your engagement and the exciting year ahead of you!

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Paul,

That is a beautiful stone and setting! I am in the same boat regarding buying from a B&M! I did what was right for me and did a lot of homework too! I am very happy with the results as well.

Congratulations!
appl.gif
You done good!!

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!
What a classy looking ring. I am sure she loves it!
Great job!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Nice ring!

Well, since you named Five Star, I feel ok to talk about them too! As I mentioned to you before, that's also where I got my engagement ring, and I think they're super. I've been back for various items (so many times now that I'm starting to feel embarassed), and while in the store, my fiance and I have seen a lot of nervous looking guys picking up their engagement rings. It's cute, and their rings are always beautiful.

Congrats again!

bpilgrim

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the compliments and, once again, for the great and informative board. It certainly made buying a diamond easier and more enjoyable. I was having fun spotting the lighting tricks and sales tactics that most of the jewelers used.

I'm attaching one more picture of the ring, which Martin called the "Glamour" shot.

To all the guys out there: if you're surprising your girlfriend with your ring, but are comfortable talking about how much you spent afterward I think its really fun to go with your fiance to get it appraised. My girlfriend, who didn't know anything about the 4Cs, really liked learning all about her ring and she even said to me afterward, "I'm so happy that you got such a great deal!" Of course, if you're not confident with the diamond or jeweler, its best to get it appraised beforehand so that you can return it if you need to -- it'd be awful to have to change something after you've already given it to her!

-Paul

Glamour-2.jpg

PlatinumDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Very nice ring, Paul!

Nothing wrong with EGL .... they do get the specs right at times, too, you know!
2.gif

Heck, my 1.14CTW diamond earring set (I only wear one earring though, on my left ear) I purchased came with EGL certifications and I had the set looked at by a few jewelers and they ALL agreed with the EGL grades. One of the jewelers that looked at closely was a GIA diamond graduate, also.

Just like with anything else, there are always good ones in the bunch just like there are lemons in the bunch, as well.
9.gif
EGL gets it right alot of times, just GIA is more consistant with getting the grades correct more often then not.

Nice score there!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats nice ring...interesting setting...

If you are thinking of Sept or Oct of this year...start planning now
6.gif

I am getting married in Oct and I am already running up against deadline....
sad.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Many Congrats!
appl.gif

Great use of your research. Beautiful, classic style ring. WOW,... purple color in the "Glamour Shot"!!
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results