shape
carat
color
clarity

How much did you spend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vivosogno

Rough_Rock
20.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
If you're just wondering about prices why not use the handy little search thingy at the top of the page. Just put it what you're looking for and see the prices of those.

ETA I didn't spend anything. That was my fiance's job.
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2006 6:23:54 PM
Author:vivosogno
show me your ring and then tell me how much you spent!

Sorry! You''re gonna have to be a little craftier than that I''m afraid ... I suggest the "EYECANDY" thread in the "Show Me The Ring" forum.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2006 6:59:36 PM
Author: InLuvWithMrH
Is that polite to ask??
38.gif
well.....some people don''t mind and some do. most of us here have a pretty good idea on the price of loose stones but, for custom settings....any amount is posssible.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
seeing as how this site is for info and shopping, I don''t mind spilling, if it helps someone with their search!
emsmile.gif

Here is my ring. It is a recently upgraded center stone, so I will give you the combined info from the setting and new stone

Radiant center stone (with princess patterning, in my opinion)....had a hard time telling it from my previous princess stone.
J SI2

price for center $6000 (canadian)

setting
12 princess cuts all g-h color. Just under 1ctw
$1000 (canadian)

So my grand total was $around %8000, due to making the setting the first time (the 2nd time, the new jeweler did it at no cost, and it was a moch better setting) and tax.

Not bad for a 2.5 ctw ring, I think!

luvher.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2006 6:59:36 PM
Author: InLuvWithMrH
Is that polite to ask??
38.gif
I am with you...not a very tactful way to gather info.

If you know what you are looking for in terms of main shape, setting styles, price range people might be more willing to help you.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2006 7:04:50 PM
Author: vivosogno
First of all if you have a problem with the post then don''t answer. This is a forum about diamonds, if you don''t like my questions then don''t post an answer. it''s not as if i would go up to someone on the street and ask them but people come on here to learn and gather information. get over it.

I understand that I can look up diamonds and see other people''s on here. I am specifically looking for radiant cut diamonds and I wanted to get an idea of what a ring would look like with a certain amount of carats and how much people paid. there are plenty of pictures of peoples rings but no prices and i was trying to get an idea if i liked the ring how much it would cost.
Thing is you weren''t specific in your first post. It didn''t go over very well now did it?? If you want people to post their radiants and say how much they paid, maybe they will and maybe they won''t. If you ask nicely, maybe they will. Loose the attitude. JMHO.
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would help if your request was more specific ... i.e. "Does anyone have Radients between __ & __ carats?" Not just "Post your rings & tell me how much". Common courtesy is appreciated online as much as "real life". It's a waste of others' time posting princesses & rounds & asschers of random carat sizes if that's not even what you're looking for...

ETA: Since you only got one "price" response in 24 hours ... perhaps your method could stand some constructive input. Ya get more flies with HONEY!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
First of all if you have a problem with the post then don''t answer. This is a forum about diamonds, if you don''t like my questions then don''t post an answer. it''s not as if i would go up to someone on the street and ask them but people come on here to learn and gather information. get over it.

I understand that I can look up diamonds and see other people''s on here. I am specifically looking for radiant cut diamonds and I wanted to get an idea of what a ring would look like with a certain amount of carats and how much people paid. there are plenty of pictures of peoples rings but no prices and i was trying to get an idea if i liked the ring how much it would cost.
Wow! That was written in a very rude tone. And you are wrong. If you look through old post you will find that people often listed the prices the stones were as part of asking if the stone ought to be bought.
38.gif

What sort of setting are you looking for?
What is your budget?
People are willing to help you, that is not an issue.
Welcome to Pricescope.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
You may get further if you try to start a poll. You do that by clicking on "new topic," then there''s an option to do a poll or just a post. Maybe start a poll asking for people with radiants to answer how much they paid. Then again, this will vary greatly depending on the setting. If people could answer the poll anonymously, they may answer your question. Ask about the range in price people paid, or something like that (if they paid $1000-2000 for a ring, $2000-3000, etc.). You could also incorporate something on there like the price they paid for the size stone they have. Not sure how you''d do this, but you could figure it out.

I know I personally wouldn''t answer how much I paid for my ring because that makes me uncomfortable. But, if it was anonymous, I would.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Tell us what you want and how much you have to spend and we'll go from there.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can do a search on radiant''s on the home page. enter in different sizes and specs and a bunch will pop up from different vendors. that will give you a good idea of how much the stone will cost you. The setting is a whole different story. Platinum, gold and diamonds have all increased and continue to increase so even if someone posted their ring and how much it cost, those prices are probably much higher today.

This is a super resource and you''ll find people to be very helpful when asked. you are right, people don''t have to respond and if you are rude or demanding, they won''t and you''ll have a much harder time getting the answers you are looking for.

Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lady never tells.

I second the recommendation to do a PS search for radiant diamonds in the color, clarity, and size ranges you''re interested in and get a feel for prices that way.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock

There is a better way to get the answers you are looking for. Offending people is not one of the ways. Would you feel better if no one answered your post and you didn''t even know why? We''re just trying to help.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring.19675/ Here's my ring

Me, I'm all for it. Who cares how much it cost, we don't know or see each other, so to me I don't care if people know what I spent. It's all about learning here. Why search through a millions posts to find answers. A poll would have been good too.
If someone I knew asked just to be curious that is different.

I got my radiant 1.0 carat from Diamonds By Lauren, it is a very clean E, I1, and it's spectacular. That was $1900 then I picked up a matching pair of .50 radiants for sidestones that were $400. I had a ring custom made for it 14ktwg for $700. So all together it's $3000 for 1.5 carat custom made ring.

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s funny that there is a thread in Brides World Wide, asking how much everyone spent on their wedding dresses and the thread got 82 posts and not one thinking that the question was rude, but now that someone is asking about diamonds on a diamond forum it''s considered tacky. It''s funny that the subject is taboo on this forum...

anyway, I am not sure what the cost was for mine since hubby picked out the diamond, but I know the setting was about $1400 and made by Michael b.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 12:00:19 PM
Author: ivanadiamond
I think it''s funny that there is a thread in Brides World Wide, asking how much everyone spent on their wedding dresses and the thread got 82 posts and not one thinking that the question was rude,

Good point! But I''d guess the thread didn''t start with "Show me your dress. Tell me how much you spent?" and then follow up to people''s help in rephrasing the ? with "GET OVER IT".
23.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a good point you raise Ivana, that''s true. But everyone knows it''s difficult to plan a wedding, and people want to get a sense of whether the trend is to go with expensive, designer dresses or something less expensive. I think the ring is just a different story. A better way to phrase it might have been "how much would a radiant of xxxxx size and specs go for? I don''t have a clue as to range of $ to spend and I was looking for ideas. How much do people typically spend?" That might have gone over better.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

uhhhh, this post was equally as rude as the first! You are more than welcome to go search for diamonds and get a sense of what they cost, right at the top of this page. I think you come off quite offensive when you demand this sort of information, rather than asking for it politely.

And as far as I am concerned, my ring is priceless.

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
I actually was more taken aback by myself. Why was this question taboo for me initially? Because I would feel weird sharing that info, but I didn''t about sharing the price of my dress. I just was really more thinking about things in general.

anyway, you do always catch more flies with honey~

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 12:16:07 PM
Author: FireGoddess
It''s a good point you raise Ivana, that''s true. But everyone knows it''s difficult to plan a wedding, and people want to get a sense of whether the trend is to go with expensive, designer dresses or something less expensive. I think the ring is just a different story. A better way to phrase it might have been ''how much would a radiant of xxxxx size and specs go for? I don''t have a clue as to range of $ to spend and I was looking for ideas. How much do people typically spend?'' That might have gone over better.

Yeah, I think its more about how the question was phrased. Most people aren''t going to respond to rudeness and bluntness, but if the question had been formed in a more articulate way, probably would''ve had more responses. I don''t really have any problems sharing how much my ring cost, but I think it was very rude how it was asked. Plus, rings are steadily increasing in value. What was $1k before might be $3k now, so I don''t really see how asking us how much our rings were will help. I think it''d be more beneficial to just to a search for that type of diamond and browse through different settings.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the other question that is pertinent: when was the $$$ spent? obviously, a ring bought 2 years ago [even a year ago] was less expensive as diamond costs have gone up since then.

btw, interesting thread to read just from a purely sociological point of view.......i thought the original question might be considered abrupt but certainly not rude. eta: but not specific enough considering what is really being asked.

movie zombie

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
First of all if you have a problem with the post then don't answer. This is a forum about diamonds, if you don't like my questions then don't post an answer. it's not as if i would go up to someone on the street and ask them but people come on here to learn and gather information. get over it.

I understand that I can look up diamonds and see other people's on here. I am specifically looking for radiant cut diamonds and I wanted to get an idea of what a ring would look like with a certain amount of carats and how much people paid. there are plenty of pictures of peoples rings but no prices and i was trying to get an idea if i liked the ring how much it would cost.

Why are we any different then someone on the street? Just because you can't *see* us...that means all manners and politeness fly out the window
33.gif

meepcat

Shiny_Rock
IMHO, it really depends on the diamond, the setting, and where you''ll choose to buy it.

I didn''t start out with a budget in mind. I just looked for diamonds. Then I looked for settings, and then I used basic math to determine what the range for a budget COULD be.

An e-ring should be symbolic, otherwise, it''s just another materialistic purchase that can be arbitrarily bought. And if you''re looking to arbitrarily buy something with no symbolism or inherent value, go to ebay.com. Buy whatever you FEEL like spending, and good luck.

Otherwise, figure out what your finances will allow you to spend (what CAN you spend, in good conscience, on something that YOU WON''T BE WEARING).

I have found on PS, the best way to get information is to READ WHAT IS ALREADY AVAILABLE, and then POLITELY post what you don''t know.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 12:48:49 PM
Author: movie zombie
the other question that is pertinent: when was the $$$ spent? obviously, a ring bought 2 years ago [even a year ago] was less expensive as diamond costs have gone up since then.

btw, interesting thread to read just from a purely sociological point of view.......i thought the original question might be considered abrupt but certainly not rude. eta: but not specific enough considering what is really being asked.

movie zombie

It was really the second post I thought was rude. The first was just blunt, or abrupt, like you said.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vivosogno welcome to PS
35.gif
I would just like to note that you are not helping your cause by revising your posts then posting the roll eyes icon etc in their place. People are more than happy to help, you need to word your posts a little differently.

Now, the search tool above is very useful to help get a feel for prices of diamonds as has already been suggested. I understand you are looking at a Radiant cut? Do you have any idea what size and colour and clarity etc you would like? You can maximise size by in some cases dropping the colour and clarity specs if you are looking at a D or E VS for example to get the size you want. Most of us have to juggle a bit to find the diamond we want. Also if you look under knowledge at the top of the page, you will find a cut chart for Radiants etc which will help give you the suggested dimensions to find a well cut diamond. Radiants can appear quite different to each other, some have a crushed ice look and the eyes are the best tool to evaluate what is pleasing to you, but the numbers give you a place to start. Avoid diamonds which are very deep and with a thick girdle as this will waste weight and therefore size. As to prices, these can vary so much according to size, colour and clarity, but generally speaking fancy shapes can cost a little less than rounds.

Hope this helps.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HEY i love the rolly-eye icon!!
9.gif

it''s kind of funny that this thread has all these replies about what is appropriate...i do agree that asking what someone spent on a diamond forum should not be a taboo question at all. the internet is not the same as a random person on the street especially when this is supposed to be a forum about education of diamonds and purchasing smartly. asking about what people spent should not be offensive. wording is another matter.

anyway the original Q is too vague, you can get an idea of what people spend by just reading posts...

there are a few polls as others have posted here. but what someone spent on one ring vs another is soooooo personal, it really depends on what you are looking for.

give more information and i''m sure people will help you. until then the eye-candy thread is alot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results