shape
carat
color
clarity

How much did you spend on your e-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

faithtay

Rough_Rock
I''m not comparing here but curious cos in my country, not many people have engagements and even if they do, their diamonds are really minute compared to what I see here.

Most people in my country have erings smaller than 0.5c and only a few fortunate ones would have 1.0c and above. Mine is only 0.53c and it''s already considered "big". Therefore, what I see here are literally ROCKS. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share the cost and size of her rock.

Shiny42805

Shiny_Rock
Our budget was $3k...I have a .81 E SI1 princess center with .18ct in melee in the setting. Total cost, including the setting, was just about $2800.

We live in NY, but we''re both grad students and I''m generally a simple person. I don''t ever plan on upgrading.

Congratulations on your engagement!

faithtay

Rough_Rock
Thanks Shiny! Actually I got engaged in 2002 and married in 2003.
emsmile.gif

We were also postgrads when we got engaged but I do hope to get a bigger one pretty soon.

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
I spent 4,000 on a 1.01 Hvs1, but it was Egl and it Really is an I color,though the vs1 is correct and I think may even be vvs2 undergraded.

Now Im saving up for a new setting for it, and I plan not to spen more than 2,000.

Out here in Phoenix area you see a lot of very large stones, so mine seems small to others around me, but

I dont let it bother me. I am happy with what I have. I think of my diamond for what it stands for and the thought in which my

husband gave it to me, and thats worth more than any three carat stone:)

Jensia

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
theres''a poll or three on this out here somewhere...

PS is not really indicative of the average buyer though...so all the larger rocks you see don''t necessarily mean that everyone out there has one.

i think that i read that in the US the average diamond size is something like 1/3 of a carat? though we have read lately on here that it''s maybe gone up.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

When I got engaged to my first husband in 1983 my engagement ring cost £120 ($220) It was 18ct gold with a small chip diamond.

Second hubby bought me an engagement ring in (1991) costing £600 ($1100) 18ct gold daisy ring (which i still have)

I have since upgraded to a platinum solitaire 1.15ct - which I am over the moon with, and don't plan to upgrade!

Blod
35.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
My diamond was about $3200 and my setting was $1000. Search "cushion halo pics" and you can see my ring.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2006 9:46:56 AM
Author:faithtay
I''m not comparing here but curious cos in my country, not many people have engagements and even if they do, their diamonds are really minute compared to what I see here.

Most people in my country have erings smaller than 0.5c and only a few fortunate ones would have 1.0c and above. Mine is only 0.53c and it''s already considered ''big''. Therefore, what I see here are literally ROCKS. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share the cost and size of her rock.
Where are you from? Here in Québec, Canada, the situation is pretty similar to yours. The biggest diamond I''ve seen in real life that didn''t look fake was a .25ct, and probably not a very good cut. There are a couple of Psers from Montreal like me that have bigger rings than me, but the three or four of us don''t represent the entire Quebec population!!

My FF''s original budget was $2000 CAD, went up to $2500 CAD when he agreed to let me pay for the setting, and we ended up spending $3295 CAD last Saturday because it was too perfect not to buy. The setting has two very good cut .10ct G-VS2 marquise accents and cost me $665 CAD and the diamond is an excellent cut .50ct G-SI1 for $2200 CAD. Then we have 6.5% and 7% taxes added. Once I''ll have my wedding band, I''ll be wearing .90ct on my hand and it''ll have cost a total of about $4050 CAD. It''s "small" compared to what you see here on PS, but compared to what you see locally, it''s huge and an outrageous sum of money.

What you see on PS doesn''t represent what you see in the real world, remember that.

That said, I''d love to see pics of your ring! .53ct is a beautiful size (of course, I''m biaised...
31.gif
)!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Our budget is around $8k (a little over when all said and done), and our center stone will be 1.51ct. My BF and I are both in our late 20s (so not right out of college) and live in the Philly area. I''d say most of the people in our social circle, and family members, have ended up with a carat or larger for their e-ring center stone, though I don''t know many people personally with anything over 2 carats. Plus a lot of our friends have been together for a long time (3, 4, 5 + years) so have had more time to save before getting engaged. I really think it''s a combination of a lot of factors (age, location, etc)... including personal taste!

faithtay

Rough_Rock
Anchor,
I''m from Singapore. I''m no diamond guru but somewhat feel that the stone costs more here. Maybe there are just too many middlemen involved. There are some jewellers selling their diamonds at rock bottom prices but these stones, according to some newpaper report, are substandard.

We bought the ering, set in platinum, in 2002 for about SGD 5,200 (about CAD 5,200 or USD 3,000). It comes with GIA and is H colour. I''m not wearing it as my fingers have gotten fat after giving birth. Will post pix of it next week.

I didn''t even receive an eternity ring for my 1st wedding anniversary
8.gif
cos my husband went on to do his doctoral studies overseas few months after our wedding so it''s not wise to get one, taking into account the extra expenses incurred.

Hope he keeps to his promise of getting me a nice eternity when he gets a job after graduation.
19.gif

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
I have a 1.01 H VS2 in a platinum bezel setting, the total cost of the ering was right around 6000, with 1000 going into the setting. It seems like a lot for a plain platinum setting, but it is the heaviest most durable setting I''ve ever seen, as I am a huge klutz that drops and smashed everything. I''ve never felt a heavier, more solid ring. That''s why I had to spend another 1000 and get a dainty eternity band to go with it (or so I rationalized to DH).

zikronix

Shiny_Rock
The one I just bought for my future fiance(sp?) is a 1.01 H VS1 GIA Cert Princess cut...The stone was 4G and the setting 14k White gold...Its what she wanted she felt the platinium was too heavy and didnt like palladium

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My original ring, prior to two upgrades, was (I think) below $10,000 including the setting. I never really knew what he spent...It was a 1.53 carat rb in a yellow gold setting. It was NOT a great stone, it was eye clean and okay birghtness wise, but apparently had a laser drill (enhanced?) I do not think my dh knew. And, this was from a family friend in the jewelry business whose father, a diamond dealer, got the stone for us...so we should have had a great deal and a great stone...which we did not...what a bummer!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
13 years ago (we were 18 and 21) DH spent $800 on the .63 pear and $100 on a yellow gold solitaire setting.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
My orignal engagement ring was purchased in 1990 for $1100. It was a .54 carat pear shaped diamond in 14k yellow gold 6 prong tiffany style setting.

My upgrade semi-mount was purchased in 2002 for $1100. It''s .75 tcw with 10 marquise diamonds in 14k yellow gold setting. We put my .54 pear in there until we could afford a bigger center stone. We purchased it in 2005. It is a 1.12 carat GIA cert I colored, VS2 that we got for $2800 from DCD.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
My original e-ring with trade in (my husband was engaged prior) was about 4k out of pocket + trade. It was a .81 marquise D SI2 set in platinum with .50 baguettes.
My new upgrade cost total around $4,300. It''s a .92 round ideal cut G SI2 set in a platinum cathedral.

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
My recently purchased ering was $5600 for a 1.09 I SI2 center stone in a halo setting with an additional .50 carats of pave diamonds. The setting was $1850 alone; the center diamond was $3750.

Then we bought the wedding ring to match for another $1,000.

Kaylyn

Shiny_Rock
We are both 22 years old, with a VERY SMALL budget. College is quite expensive.

Anyhow, we got my .25 ct round (SI1 I think) which is set in 14k wg for $585. I bought my wb for another $210, and that has 9 more (teeny) diamonds in it...

CopyofOrchid.jpg

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
My e-ring was $8000. 1 ct RB center in a platinum tacori setting with a micropave halo and surprise diamonds around the head. The setting itself was what made it so expensive. damn tacori :) but i don''t even plan on upgrading the setting. maybe the diamond later on. but the setting is so worth it to me :)

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
mine came in phases, the original ring was a real bargain because I traded in a diamond i had laying around (poor earring had lost its'' other half) and they gave us $700 for it! FI refused any further contribution on my part but at least I was allowed to do all the research and pick the stone. I got a gorgeous 1.004 ct J I1 and an inexpensive x-prong for net cash outlay of $2,700 or so.
He was very pleased with my efforts!! Then a couple years later I was more confident about our finances, so I upgraded (with him cheering me on) to a 1.20 ct G SI1 AGS0. Everything all added up comes to $7,500 or so. I just LOVE my ring!!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
$500 or so for my original .25 round solitare back in 94.
about 4 years ago, paid $500 for my .93 ct. total weight 3 stone ring (bought secondhand, can''t resist a good deal!)

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
in 1995, paid about $500 for a quarter carat in a plain tiffany setting. we bought a house/fridge/washer/dryer and paid for the wedding/honeymoon with the rest of the available cash.

i have worn out two of these plain tiffany style rock holders. I'm working on wearing out my third. i wear the engagement ring everyday.

house is paid for now. Over the years I have amassed a collection of weird and/or pretty second hand diamond pieces, like the one in the avatar.

Kaylyn

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 3:22:42 PM
Author: ladykemma
in 1995, paid about $500 for a quarter carat in a plain tiffany setting. we bought a house/fridge/washer/dryer and paid for the wedding/honeymoon with the rest of the available cash.

i have worn out two of these plain tiffany style rock holders. I''m working on wearing out my third. i wear the engagement ring everyday.

house is paid for now. Over the years I have amassed a collection of weird and/or pretty second hand diamond pieces, like the one in the avatar.

You sound like what Nick and I plan on doing. That is, buying the small ring and paying for stuff we need right now.

SMART LADY!!!!!!
36.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 3:00:16 PM
Author: Kaylyn
We are both 22 years old, with a VERY SMALL budget. College is quite expensive.

Anyhow, we got my .25 ct round (SI1 I think) which is set in 14k wg for $585. I bought my wb for another $210, and that has 9 more (teeny) diamonds in it...

CopyofOrchid.jpg
very pretty indeed, smart lady!

Chi

Shiny_Rock
Same budget as ours...MINE...

Ahhh great minds think alike...
21.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
DH spent $3650 on a 1.13 H, SI1, princess cut. My first setting cost me $1800 (two .49 carat, g/h, vs2, princess cut sidestones, set in a 3 stone design, now earrings). My second setting cost me $800 (two .22 carat, h, vs2 trillions in a custom knife edge 3 stone setting). My third setting cost me $1050 (after trade in of above trillions) for a copy of a Chris Correiea very chunky halo setting in white gold.

I have found I''m not a 3 stone gal. LOL...could never find a w-band I liked with them. So glad my new setting measures 11mm at the widest & tapers down to 4mm in the back. WIDE! How I like em.

Jeannine

kschmid5

Rough_Rock
We ended up getting an estate ring that was $6000, for 1.47 carats- but originally the budget was $3000 (since we''re students)
But, his dad convinced him to up the budget, since he sort of regretted not getting his W a nice engagement ring (just a gold wedding band) His dad was going to give him the money, but I really disliked the idea, so it''s a loan to be paid off in the upcoming years.
While we were looking at rings, there were a few rings under $5000, and some under $4000 that were pretty, and I would have been happy with- but this one is the ring. Plus my ring finger is a size 7.5, so some of the danity, smaller rings just looked teeny.

On the other hand, some friends of ours bought from a B&M and bought what was probably a half carat for about $5000- so we did end up getting a decent deal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results