shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom solitaire RHR project (aka Blueroses finally has a ROCK!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hey PS,

As some of you know, I sadly lost my wonderful aunt, my mom''s baby sister, on January 5. She had suffered from small cell lung cancer for 14 months and was only 56, but it is a blessing she didn''t suffer for long. She was a woman of truly incredible grace, warmth, strength, and heart. I''m heartbroken to have lost her (we always shared a very special connection, and she thought I took after her.)

She left me a diamond ring, which had also belonged to her mother, my grandmother. My mom can''t remember how my grandmother had it set. We don''t *think* it''s the center stone from her e-ring (she wore a cluster ring) or if it''s from a pendant. Probably the latter. In any case, though, I am blessed to have inherited a now third generation stone and I finally have some bling of my own to show my favorite fellow bling fanatics!!!

I have NO idea of specs. I plan to get it appraised and actually have a RHR project in the works! I bid on, and won, a vintage Victorian filagree mounting with tiny sapphires in which I hope to reset this stone so that it has a new home fitting of its pedigree, and of the two amazing women who wore it before me!

Anyway, here it is. Of course I''ve taken a ton of silly shots of it. It is probably around .5ct, (just by judging it against an average chart and my mom''s larger stone,) but it could be .39, .46, .61, who really knows! It''s set in 14kt yellow gold in a basic six-prong tiffany-ish knife-edge setting. It seems quite white to me, but I haven''t ventured a color guess. It''s very sparkly, but who knows about the cut. I have spotted a couple of black inclusions, but they took me over a week to find, and even then was staring through the pavilion about an inch away. So I *think* it should count as eye-clean, but I have no idea. For all I know it could be anywhere from VS2 - I1. But it''s WONDERFUL!!!!!

She and I had our ring sizes in common, so it fits me perfectly already. I''m cleaning it and checking it fanatically and have already ordered a loupe!! First I''ll post the ring shots, and then I will post the setting shots from ebay.

A first flower shot:

whflower1.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
My two heirloom rings: one from each grandmother! (The LONG story about the opal ring is in the family heirloom thread)

gmaheirlooms.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
*sigh*

Poodles, buddah, George Clooney. You understand. Thank god someone does, everyone I know thinks I''m crazy.

(Oh, on the hand it''s next to my fabulous 2.5ct asscher SIM pendant from HSN. LOVE IT.)

collage99.JPG

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Blueroses, I''m so sorry to hear about your aunt. However, I''m so glad you have a gorgeous
30.gif
diamond ring to remember her by.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
And finally, with my sweet aunt.
12.gif
12.gif

The pic is Mom, Aunt, Blueroses in '99 (Ring's on top of the frame)

ellinsring.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh blueroses it is such a beautiful ring. I know how much you loved your aunt and know she must have thought the world of you to give it to you. It will give you comfort as you wear it as a RHR. I look forward to seeing the new setting. Again I am so very sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was an amazing person. Hugs to you as you go through the grieving process.
12.gif
XXOO Lisa

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is so sweet and I for one cannot wait to see that stone in the vintage sapphire setting you won!!!! It will be beautiful.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Blueroses, my condolences on the loss of your dear aunt.
But it is truly a blessing that she did not suffer long, and what a marvelous, sentimental reminder of her life and love to have.
That stone is a stunner. Can''t wait to see the final product.
LOVE the Bling-George-Poodle-Buddha collage. You''re my kinda gal. :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are so blessed to have a wonderful aunt and that she left you something wonderful to remember her by. The ring is so pretty and the diamond is going to look unbelievable in your new setting..

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Blueroses, I''m so sorry to hear about your aunt. Life is so unfair at times. Your aunt is at peace now, so I hope you are able to take comfort from that. How wonderful to have her diamond ring left to you, it is such a precious gift, treasure it. I hope you enjoy it as much as she did. It''s priceless.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
I love the picture of your aunt - she''s so pretty and cute! I''m really sorry that you''ve lost her. It''s a wonderful gesture and I''m sure you will treasure the diamond forever. Thank you for sharing!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is really ironic. I also lost my aunt last summer who was like a second mother to me as she never married or had children. She also had a diamond that belonged to her grandmother that is meant for me. However, my mother''s e-ring diamond shattered a few years ago, so my aunt lent her the other diamond to wear. So needless to say, I hope I won''t be getting that diamond for a long, long, time. That''s pretty much why I decided to go ahead and upgrade my own diamond, and the great-grandmother''s diamond will probably go to my oldest daughter.

I am so sorry for the loss of your aunt. You and your mother are beautiful and look so much alike!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry that you lost your aunt, blueroses. She sounds like a special lady.

I am so glad that you have the ring and will have the diamond set in a new ring!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH NO!! I''m happy for you, sad for you, all mixed up in one!! I love your new sparkly though (and the Asscher sim - haven''t seen THAT before!!!). Can''t wait to see it''s "new home" ... and, hopefully, it''s sister
31.gif
on your other hand!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry about your aunt''s passing....it''s so wonderful though that she gave you this heirloom as a remembrance. I can''t wait to see the setting you''ve chosen for it! It looks like a beautiful stone!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Blue: So sorry you are dealing with the loss of your beloved Aunt. Just take comfort in the fact that you were blessed to have her in your live for the years you did. Remember her fondly each time you wear the ring. Can''t wait to see the finished product! BTW, love the ''poodle crown'' shot and the Buddha looks as if he is saying "Hey look what I found!".

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful piece- very special.

I''m so sorry about the loss of your Aunt.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Rascal49, Kaleigh, Tacori E-ring, MrsFrk, mrssalvo, MiniMouse, Ries, diamondseeker2006, Patty, decodelighted, FireGoddess, moon river, and sevens one!!!

I so appreciate all of the comments and thank you for all of the kind words, comfort, compliments and general PS support. It's nice to be able to share this
1.gif

So here is the setting I won on e-bay. Here is the description from the e-bay listing:

"This lovely estate find is a bit of a mystery: it's a Victorian ladies ring setting with what we believe are two tiny blue sapphires, one to each side of the setting. They're so tiny it's hard to tell how they're set.
Lovely filigree detail to the sides. There are no prongs and will have to be rebuilt. Fits a size 8 1/2. The depth of the setting is just under a 1/4". Measuring across the top of the setting is roughly 3/8". No markings. We believe the ring to be white gold setting with yellow gold shank, but could possibly be silver over gold?"

So clearly, it needs some work. The kind of wonky description is b/c the seller is an antiques--not jewlery--dealer. I belive it is probably W. gold which has faded and needs re-dipping. (Silver over gold makes no sense, and silver wouldn't have stood up to the filagree, IMO.) It's a large ring size--I'm hoping whatever gold marking was probably lost on the shank w/ previous ring sizing, but I don't know. I'm going to have to take it to my jeweler to have it evaluated (make sure it's strong enough for the stone!), prongs re-built, "rhodium-ized," re-sized, stone set, etc. I will keep you all posted!! I'll also be on the look out for a colored stone to put in the old 6-prong YG setting!

Here it is:

ebaysettingmrss.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if anyone can do some photoshop magic? I've tried and I am really bad at it. Here's a top down of the setting: (p.s. it looks like it used to be an 8-prong setting, which is kind of cool!!)

settingvicfil.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that setting. Maybe Ana can do her magic??

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
I love this setting. And I think you''re right, it appears the white gold has faded over parts of the ring. I think it''ll look fabulous with your Aunt/Grandmother''s stone in it. Keep us posted on all the details of your journey to set the stone.
1.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Yay, I''m so glad you like it, Lisa!!! I''m such a sucker for an octagonal profile (even a subtle one) in a setting. I hope that it''s sturdy enough! Paging Ana?
2.gif
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I already PM''d her and she''s working on it. Yay Ana!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Aw, thank you moon river (btw, whenever I see a post of yours I get moon river stuck in my head for a few hours afterwards! Not a bad thing, I love it
2.gif
)

Lisa, THANK YOU!! I pMed her too, and I am so excited to see her handiwork!

(So I can shrink it, print it and tape it to my hand.
11.gif
)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2006 3:11:10 PM
Author: blueroses

Silver over gold makes no sense, and silver wouldn''t have stood up to the filagree...

It used to be done this way - diamonds set in silver settings, before white gold came up (1920-ish?). And rhodium plating is much more recent. Whether this is the case for this ring, I can''t tell. Probably not because the style looks much more recent than that.

It''s a large ring size--

The shank is quite thin and would need to be replaced - which may need to be done anyway if you will resize it allot.

I''m going to have to take it to my jeweler to have it evaluated (make sure it''s strong enough for the stone!), prongs re-built, ''rhodium-ized,'' re-sized, stone set, etc.

About the prongs - the descriptions sounds wrong - this setting looks like the original stone was bead set and there were never prongs in there, so to speak.
Does the setting fit the stone? If so, it shouldn''t be hard to ''picture'' it in :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results