shape
carat
color
clarity

Funny and Sad

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rock Your Socks

Shiny_Rock
28.gif
So i found myself in a jeweller today after work as i''ve been thinking i might start looking at getting myself some asscher diamond earrings and as i walk into what is one of the oldest established jeweller in Australia...

i''m greeted with the usual "hello....how can i help you"?

I proceed to tell her that i''m looking for some diamond earrings...

she asks me ''anything in particular''?

I say i''m looking for asscher cut diamond earrings maybe about .25 carats each....

She simply said ''what are asschers''?

I was mortified (well maybe thats not the best word to describe it but you get the picture) and i left quick smart but i also laughed a little too because i thought they have no idea what type of business they are missing out on. I mean i haven''t been on pricescope very long but it does seem to me that asschers are one of the most popular cuts around and its popularity only increases. For a jeweller not to be educated enough to know the different cuts of diamonds let alone having staff that are incompetently educated in all spectrums of the diamond industry....i don''t know it just seems like such a waste of potential....i mean had they had asschers they probably would have made a sale from me...imagine how many ladies are missing out....anyhoo...

Anyways thats my thoughts....sorry if i bored anyone....
28.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find this happening almost everywhere I go. Asschers were revived about 10 years ago. I would think that jewelers/salespeople would be on board by now. That said, most jewelers really don''t invest in thier sales peoples knowledge of jewelry, but more in thier knowledge as to HOW to make a SALE. What bothers me when I walk into a jewelery store,- they don''t even ask what I am looking for. They immediately pull things out of the case trying to PUSH a sale on something I am not even remotely interested in....
20.gif

Rock Your Socks

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 9:29:10 AM
Author: cushioncutnut
I find this happening almost everywhere I go. Asschers were revived about 10 years ago. I would think that jewelers/salespeople would be on board by now. That said, most jewelers really don''t invest in thier sales peoples knowledge of jewelry, but more in thier knowledge as to HOW to make a SALE. What bothers me when I walk into a jewelery store,- they don''t even ask what I am looking for. They immediately pull things out of the case trying to PUSH a sale on something I am not even remotely interested in....
20.gif
Sorry for the late reply...

Cushioncutnut - I know exactly what you mean about the pushy sales people...everything is about the almighty dollar these days isn''t? No actual consideration to what the customer actually wants or needs...
38.gif

Marrriedwithdiamonds - sadly enough no this lady is in her sixties at a guess and i''ve been working in the local area long enough to know she''s been working in the jewellry and diamond business longer than i''ve been on this earth!!!

Oh and MikeRato1 - Thanks for the nice comment. That tatto of mine is indeed on my left wrist, thanks for noticing...
36.gif

one again sorry for the belated reply
5.gif
7.gif

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Are you in Sydney??? I''d love to now what Jeweler it was? I live in Sydney and just want to know where to steer clear!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Yup, same thing happened to me when I wanted to see an asscher IRL - not even the most "prestige" jewelers in my city knew what it was - of course I didn''t even bother with the chainstores
40.gif

Rock your socks, I''m interested to know what city you''re in too if you don''t mind..?

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I have had the same experience too. Except it was in Bailey, Banks, and Biddle, and Tapper''s, and ANY chain jewelry store. One women tried to say want to look at princess cuts? That might be what you want! I was like no thank you...

I think asscher cuts are much more popular on this website because of the vast amount of knowledge everyone has gained and also the amount of knowledge offered on this website. A lot of jewelry stores told me they don''t keep them in stock because not a lot of people ask for them, and if you think about it or try to notice, a lot of women choose a standard circle or square diamond. I just LOOOOOVE asschers though, they are so elegant.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
I know what you mean by sales people not being familiar with asschers.

I have a blue asscher diamond ering (I originally posted my ring months back under a different username-thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-fancy-blue-asscher.88892/). When the time came for me to look for a wedding band, I thought I would go with a matching channel set asscher band. Pretty simple, right? Not so much.

I thought I would shop around for rings to find the best quality and price for what I wanted, but the only jeweler familiar with the cut was the jeweler who had created my ering! No one else even had asscher rings on display. Not only that, but every associate I asked appeared utterly ignorant of the difference between an emerald and asscher. I was shocked at the utter lack of knowledge sales people possessed in their own field!

You DEAL in diamonds. How do you not know what an asscher is?!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I worked in a jewellers here in the UK I was nosing through some rings in the safe... the more expensive ones. I tried on a beautiful solitaire. "Thats a cushion cut" said my colleague smugly. "No, thats an asscher cut" I said.

She must have been rather embarrassed judging how red her face went. She has worked in jewellery for 20 years!!

kaori

Shiny_Rock
Two weeks ago, I walked in this local jeweller and wondered if they have any nice rock with resonable price. After greeting, the sales lady asked me " what shape of diamond that you are looking for?"

I replied " Round, Emerald, or Asscher."

The sales lady was like "we do have round cut and emerald cut, but we do not sell ''ASH-TRAY''."

I was like "No, not ash-tray, do you have ASSCHER shape diamond?"

The sales lady went "''Ash-tray'' shape diamond? Do you mean ''round''?"

38.gif

Rock Your Socks

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 10:54:17 AM
Author: arjunajane
Yup, same thing happened to me when I wanted to see an asscher IRL - not even the most ''prestige'' jewelers in my city knew what it was - of course I didn''t even bother with the chainstores
40.gif

Rock your socks, I''m interested to know what city you''re in too if you don''t mind..?
Lasscreative & arunajane - I''m not sure as to the rules of this website if you can openly out a jeweller or not but i''m In Brisbane, Queensland....i will hint MH....does that give it away.....?
33.gif
Although after going to them i decided to go into every other commercial type jeweller such as angus coote etc u know and some were aware of asscher but mostly none knew what it was at all....

I was explaining what it looked like and i said "it has a windmill in the centre" basically they looked at me like i was BONKERS
3.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw my favorite trying to discuss something with a saleperson who has no clue what you are talking about. I went circles with a girl about cut vs shape. Got to love it. LOL about ASH-TRAY.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2008 7:38:29 PM
Author: Rock Your Socks

Yup, same thing happened to me when I wanted to see an asscher IRL - not even the most ''prestige'' jewelers in my city knew what it was - of course I didn''t even bother with the chainstores
40.gif

Lasscreative & arunajane - I''m not sure as to the rules of this website if you can openly out a jeweller or not but i''m In Brisbane, Queensland....i will hint MH....does that give it away.....?
33.gif
Although after going to them i decided to go into every other commercial type jeweller such as angus coote etc u know and some were aware of asscher but mostly none knew what it was at all....

I was explaining what it looked like and i said ''it has a windmill in the centre'' basically they looked at me like i was BONKERS
3.gif
Yup!
9.gif
I''m glad you dropped the hint though because I was DYING to know which jeweller it was! I work at another commercial jeweller here in Aus, I was hoping it wasn''t us
28.gif
I''m sure a few of our new kids on the block are unfamiliar with asschers, seeing as we very rarely stock them, due to low demand for them. At least most of us know what they are!!

Ash-tray... *snicker snicker*
20.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had my ring cleaned at the T & Co. at The Bellagio while I was buying loads of wedding gifts for family members. The SA disappeared with my ring, came back, and said "that''s a lovely . . . . cushion (?) you have there!"

I told him it was an Asscher, he said "A what?"

Understandable maybe since T & CO. has some proprietary cuts, but Asscher is a classic step-cut - you would think a T & Co. associate could spot it, or even call it an emerald cut.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 7:38:29 PM
Author: Rock Your Socks

40.gif

33.gif

I was explaining what it looked like and i said ''it has a windmill in the centre'' basically they looked at me like i was BONKERS
3.gif
Rock, you can definately "out" a jeweller, that is a huge point of this site to provide consumer review so others know where to shop/avoid shopping
1.gif

I have to say I am not surprised one bit Michael Hill didn''t know - they have probably the worst diamonds in this country, imho. bleck
14.gif

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that's pretty bad. I worked as a bridal consultant for a year and I was SHOCKED by my coworkers lack of diamond knowledge. I mean hello, we'd see rings all the time. Of course they all thought I was obsessed, but that's besides the point (I am, admittedly).

But to be a jeweler and not know every cut that's out there? I guess it's just a job for her, not a career. When I first discovered cushion cuts, I would hunt high and low for them. Every time I went to the mall, I'd stop into one of those chain jewelers and they'd have no clue what I was talking about. Their range of knowledge extended from round brilliants to princess cuts. My suggestion? Call ahead to make sure they carry Ascher cuts (or at least know what you're talking about! lol)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results