shape
carat
color
clarity

Brian Gavin Signature Modern Cushion Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I'm not alone in my curiosity. Ever since I heard that Brian Gavin had developed his own signature cushion cut diamond, I've been dying to see one. This morning for the first time, there were pictures of one of his new stones on his website.

[Link removed by Moderator- no links to blogs allowed. Please follow forum policies]

And this is the stone. It's just g
30.gif
rge
30.gif
us!

BrianGavinSignatureModernCushionCut.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the look. Would be nice if Brain has ASET and video for this beauty on his website. Wonder how its performance (brilliance, fire, and scintillation) is compared to GOG''s chunky cushion? I think the video will be helpful to answer this question.

I have been eyeing on GOG''s 3-plus ct cushions, but want to get something slightly more affordable. Hope this new cut matches my needs.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My apologies to the mods for the blog link. For anyone who would like to see the stone, the ring, the ASET image and the new stone''s comparison to our other popular cushion cut, you can visit Brian & Lesley''s website and click on the link to the left on the bottom and that will bring you to all of their most recent projects.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, those cushions look really pretty!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
gawd, cushions of any sort just make me drool
18.gif

That''s gorgeous!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2009 9:57:37 AM
Author: gemgirl
My apologies to the mods for the blog link. For anyone who would like to see the stone, the ring, the ASET image and the new stone''s comparison to our other popular cushion cut, you can visit Brian & Lesley''s website and click on the link to the left on the bottom and that will bring you to all of their most recent projects.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/
gwmgirl,
You are so sweet to share the info with us. Now that I see the ASET, I am still lost. The problem is that I do not know how to interpret the ASET.
The big lesson I have learned from owning an ACA RB is that a photograph and all the corresponding evaluation images cannot capture the true beauty of a top cut diamond. This is why I find GOG''s videos extremely helpful, short of seeing the diamond in real life. Their videos have convinced me to take a trip out there someday. Besides, Long Island, NY is close enough by car for me. Unfortunately, Houston is too far from my home and I do not see any trip out there at all in the near future. Therefore, I hope to see a video of BGD''s new cushion.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2009 3:30:15 PM
Author: elle_chris
Dare I say that I''m not loving it?
8.gif
Not "my style" of cushion either. But it isn''t really surprising to me as Brian is a Brilliant Cut guru ... so its kinda more "brillianty" than older-style cushions. It looks "pinched" to me. Dunno ...

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2009 4:17:17 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 11/6/2009 3:30:15 PM
Author: elle_chris
Dare I say that I''m not loving it?
8.gif
Not ''my style'' of cushion either. But it isn''t really surprising to me as Brian is a Brilliant Cut guru ... so its kinda more ''brillianty'' than older-style cushions. It looks ''pinched'' to me. Dunno ...
I like it, but I''m a RB girl to the core, so that''s prolly why.
12.gif
9.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t love it either, but to me the prettiest cushions have big chunky facets. Bizarre, since I adore my RB..

Gecko, your turkey made me literally LOL
9.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah I missed that it was BGD the first time I read this thread.

Very nice. Not the OMC (which is how I think of GOG) but a Cushion cut.

Thanks for sharing!!
21.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
It''s a beautiful cushion! Definitely not OMC, but pretty in its own way!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Gotta say it''s not my favorite, but I think that''s because if I wanted a brilliant cut, I''d go with a round (which I did). The reason I''d want a cushion would be to have something different, so the chunkier facets definitely call my name! If I could have whatever I wanted, I''d take a BG H&A, a GOG old mine cushion, and have someone find me a super gorgeous emerald cut. Then I''d have the best of all worlds as far as white diamonds go!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2009 7:53:40 PM
Author: Kelli
Gotta say it''s not my favorite, but I think that''s because if I wanted a brilliant cut, I''d go with a round (which I did). The reason I''d want a cushion would be to have something different, so the chunkier facets definitely call my name! If I could have whatever I wanted, I''d take a BG H&A, a GOG old mine cushion, and have someone find me a super gorgeous emerald cut. Then I''d have the best of all worlds as far as white diamonds go!
My sentiments exactly!

Hmmm...I wonder who cuts the best EC?

Smo

Shiny_Rock
This doesn''t appeal to me either, I much prefer the GOG cushion cuts. Love those chunky facets!

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the chunkier faceting too on a cushion, but it''s pretty.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm I like it, but it isn''t exactly what I think of when i think cushion. Still pretty though.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
It''s eye-catching. Sort of like how I would look at a really "haute" person walking into a room.

But I would probably wouldn''t abandon my Octavia to leave the room with Brian''s cushion. I''ve been hypnotized by Octavia. Maybe it''s better described as brainwashed.

Brian is one talented dude though. I spend a lot of time on his site....drooling. Dreaming.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I''t always nice to see an new cut.

The ASET is way too green for my liking (reflects light collected from beside the stone) It''s certainly true to the roots of the cushion cut (designed to reflect firelight and candle light), but perhaps not yet optimized for our modern lighting systems that have light coming down from the roof.

It''s a good start.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would much prefer a H&A round from Brian, but I think it''s cool he''s cutting these cushions too.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I like it, a little more elongated and I''d love it !!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought I would be the only one who didn''t love it. It reminds me of the ice crystals that I see in freezer burned ice-cream. Not the best, but ice cream is never terrible.
41.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2009 6:39:16 PM
Author: Laila619
I would much prefer a H&A round from Brian, but I think it''s cool he''s cutting these cushions too.
My next loose diamond purchase is going to be a BG signature round for a pendant I have planned, but I have an appreciation for all well cut diamonds in all shapes. I think they''re all beautiful in their own unique way.

Wouldn''t it be nice to have one of everything?
2.gif

freefly

Shiny_Rock
I hate to say it, but I''m not loving it either. I much prefer the look of chunkier facets. Still a pretty cushion though.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a huge lover of cushions per se, and this looks to me like a slight improvement over a regular ol'' brilliant cushion. The type of cushions that have drawn me in are Jon''s at GoodOldGold. One of my friends ordered one of Jon''s (in an "L"), and it is hands-down the loveliest cushion I''ve ever seen. Anyway, I''ll stay my judgment on the BGD Signature Cushion ''til I see some shots on the wearer.

I feel terrible saying that I am not in love with this cut.

I admire and applaud that they are doing new cuts, but the GOG chunky cushion really has a special place in my heart :D

I think my problem with it, is that it reminds me too much of a princess cut with rounded edges, and I''m not googly-eyed about princess cuts (though, I don''t mind them on other people, just indifferent I guess)

Basically, OK, Yes, I''m sure it''s still stunning, but it would NOT be my first choice. Maybe we just need to see it in more settings and some vids? *hint hint hint*

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think these are beautiful examples of modern cushions, personally my taste runs towards the vintage types with chunkier facets but it is a personal preference choice I believe. So good we have well cut cushions out there now to suit every taste!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results