shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD: Ménage à Trois

dmz

Rough_Rock
[for those using a search engine: Brian Gavin Diamonds (BGD) Tapered Tiffany Style Half Round, matching plain wedding band with surprise diamond, and mens pipe-cut wedding band with surprise diamond]

Our Brian Gavin Diamonds Wedding Set

Over the last few years, I've spent an inordinate amount of time researching and learning from these forums. Pricescope has been an invaluable resource, and I'm not sure what I would have done without it. This post is an attempt to give back to the community (and maybe a little to show off our new wedding set :saint: ).

It was back in May 2009 that I first contacted Lesley at BGD, looking for some preliminary information and trying to get an idea of what I wanted. She was very patient and helpful, even when I made it clear that I had no intention of purchasing in the immediate future. It wasn't until January 2011 that I finally placed an order for a Tapered Tiffany Style Half Round engagement ring with a BGD Signature Hearts and Arrows diamond.

I won't turn this into an engagement story, but I proposed and my (now) fiancée said yes. Since then, my fiancée, and everyone who has seen the ring, are amazed by the diamond and the setting. It didn't take long for us to decide to get our wedding bands from BGD as well.

We ordered wedding bands this August, and just received them recently. Originally, I had the engagement ring made in white gold and before ordering the wedding bands, we decided to switch to platinum. That meant shipping the engagement ring back to get re-done, and also meant some nice glamour shots of all three rings. So, without further ado, I give you our BGD wedding set:

bgd_wedding_set.jpg

Here, you can see the matching surprise diamonds on our wedding bands:

bgd_wedding_set_with_surprise.jpg

The Diamond

Since this is a diamond forum, it's only fair to include some detail on the diamond. It's a BGD Signature Hearts & Arrows round brilliant. 0.65 ct G VS1. Here is a collage of the hearts, arrows and ASET:

collage.jpg

Hand Shots

Now to the best part. We took a few shots with the wedding band, and a few without. (The wedding band is now put away, back in its box.) I have a new appreciation for some of the photos people have posted on this forum. Getting a good shot is HARD! I haven't made a serious attempt at getting arrow shots yet, but hopefully I can figure that out with enough practice.

We took these shots tonight, as the sun was getting low in the sky. I think the lighting makes everything look a little warmer than it should be, but it's a nice effect.

(For those wondering, my fiancée wears a size 5 ring.)

Engagement ring only:

handshot1.jpg

handshot2.jpg

handshot3.jpg

Engagement ring with wedding band:

handshot4.jpg

handshot5.jpg

Brian Gavin Diamonds

Throughout this endeavour, Lesley and everyone at BGD has been wonderful. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for an engagement ring (or any other jewellry for that matter). We are located in Canada, and they made the cross-border shopping a painless experience. The value and quality surpass what I have seen locally, and both my fiancée and I are extremely happy with our purchase.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats. It sure is a classic setting. Lovely hand shots. If you don't mind, can you post pics of your pipe cut band? Would love to see what it looks likes.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your rings are classic, timeless and beautiful!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
beautiful! what are the stats on the diamond?

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning set! I love the clean lines!! :love: Great pictures also. :)

Congratulations on your engagement! Best to you both.

Cachette :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All your rings turned out beautiful! Congratulations!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love her set, it's so timeless and elegant! And your band is so classy and nice, too!! How many mm wide is her wedding band do you know?

Thanks for sharing pics!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow first of all such a well orgnized post by sub-topics and things like that. Wonderful.

The ring set is simple and classic. Thank you for sharing with us.

Congratulations.

dmz

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. We're both extremely happy with how everything turned out. "Classic" was what we were aiming for. To answer one of the questions, I think my fiancée's wedding band is 2mm, but I haven't put callipers on it. My wedding band is 4mm.

What diamond stats were people looking for? It was my understanding that your eyes trump the ASET which trumps the numbers. One interesting thing is that that Sarin numbers aren't identical to the AGS report. The Sarin numbers get a 1.4 on the HCA, and the AGS gets a 1.7.

I couldn't add this to the original post, so I'll put it here:

Hand Shots - His

As requested, here are some hand shots of my wedding band. These were taken at night, so the light wasn't very good, but I think you can get a feel for it. The band itself is 4mm wide, and I wear a size 9 ring. I thought about going wider, but this is a lot more comfortable to wear. The wider bands really needed the "comfort fit" feature, but that increased the thickness to the point where I couldn't put my fingers together. Ironically, the "comfort fit" was less comfortable.

handshot-his1.jpg

handshot-his2.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have exquisite taste! Beautiful set! :appl: :appl: :appl:

dmz

Rough_Rock
I think my fiancée's wedding band is 2mm, but I haven't put callipers on it.

Turns out, her wedding band is 2.5mm. Sorry for the initial mistake -- I wasn't entirely sure to begin with. (Is there any way to edit posts?)

Also, I can add that the matching surprise diamonds are 1.4mm F/G VS Brian Gavin Signature melee.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks dmz. The band looks really good on your hand. I like that it's a bit different than the comfort fit bands.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
dmz|1315955252|3016864 said:
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. We're both extremely happy with how everything turned out. "Classic" was what we were aiming for. To answer one of the questions, I think my fiancée's wedding band is 2mm, but I haven't put callipers on it. My wedding band is 4mm.

What diamond stats were people looking for? It was my understanding that your eyes trump the ASET which trumps the numbers. One interesting thing is that that Sarin numbers aren't identical to the AGS report. The Sarin numbers get a 1.4 on the HCA, and the AGS gets a 1.7.

I couldn't add this to the original post, so I'll put it here:

Hand Shots - His

As requested, here are some hand shots of my wedding band. These were taken at night, so the light wasn't very good, but I think you can get a feel for it. The band itself is 4mm wide, and I wear a size 9 ring. I thought about going wider, but this is a lot more comfortable to wear. The wider bands really needed the "comfort fit" feature, but that increased the thickness to the point where I couldn't put my fingers together. Ironically, the "comfort fit" was less comfortable.

handshot-his1.jpg

handshot-his2.jpg

oh as far as stats I was wondering size and color!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg he said earlier it was a .60ct G VS1 :love:

It looks great, all your rings are really classic -- success at your mission my friend!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1316037658|3017719 said:
slg he said earlier it was a .60ct G VS1 :love:

It looks great, all your rings are really classic -- success at your mission my friend!

I assumed he must have but I didn't see it! thanks dreamer :)

dmz

Rough_Rock
Might as well give all the details:

Colour: G
Carat: 0.654
Clarity: VS1
Cut: Ideal
Light Performance: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Depth: 61%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 34.7º
Pavilion Angle: 40.8º
Girdle: Med - Sl Thick
Star/Upper Ratio: 55:45
Lower Girdle Halves: 76%

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you hit a home run with all three rings!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Timeless! I love all 3 rings, they look perfect on. Your finance has beautiful hands too btw. :)

Wow, your set is beautiful and so classic looking. :appl:

dmz

Rough_Rock
Hi

Sorry it took so long to reply. The wedding band isn't anything specific. We wanted something that matched the profile (height) of the e-ring. It's 2.5mm wide, which is a little wider than the e-ring, but accommodates the surprise diamond quite well.

I hope that helps!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
All the rings are just wonderful! I love how classic and perfect they are!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results